Passimian Discussion

For singles a pretty ok set would be:

Defiant
Adrenalin Orb
Bulk Up
Close Combat
Acrobatics / U-turn
Iron Head

Adrenalin orb gives you +1 atk + 1 speed total when encountering an intimidate user
Bulk Up to boost you bulk and damage on a resisted hit or predicted switch
Stab Close Combat needs no explanation
Acrobatics for great coverage with 110 power after Adrenalin Orb being Consumed
Iron Head against the fairies you know are coming in
U-turn for momentum

Passimian has almost identical stats to Sawk who sits comfortably in RU. Cool your shitmon jets. It's not clear at all how Receiver works in singles, pikachuguy is right, if it's possible for this monkey to inherit Speed Boost or Huge Power you won't think it's a joke anymore.
Sawk appears to be significantly more threatening than Passimian. It is slightly stronger, faster, has coverage options, and has sturdy/moldbreaker. Passimian is also outclassed as a defiant user from Primeape. If its Receiver does not function in singles then it appears like it will be forgotten and only have some use in VGC. It just has so much competition from other fighting types.

Sawk appears to be significantly more threatening than Passimian. It is slightly stronger, faster, has coverage options, and has sturdy/moldbreaker. Passimian is also outclassed as a defiant user from Primeape. If its Receiver does not function in singles then it appears like it will be forgotten and only have some use in VGC. It just has so much competition from other fighting types.
I'm not sure if he is actually outclassed by primeape as a defiant user. His far superior bulk enables him to not relly only in speed as primeape does in order to actually dish out damage.

A primeape will never beat a scarf landorus for example, cause you dont invest in bulk for primeapes and landorus will 1hko primeape everytime with earthquake, unless you are using a sash variant, in wich case thats super risky given how hazards are so common.
Passimian, on the other hand, can actually survive an earthquake or two, depending on its spread and fight back with Acrobatics (lets imagine he had a sitrus thats obviouslly used by now or that new item adrenalin orb) or something like that. Thats not a ohko for passimian, but serves to show how he can take hits primeape couldn't and take advantage of defiant where the other one didn't capitalise.

I'm not sure if he is actually outclassed by primeape as a defiant user. His far superior bulk enables him to not relly only in speed as primeape does in order to actually dish out damage.

A primeape will never beat a scarf landorus for example, cause you dont invest in bulk for primeapes and landorus will 1hko primeape everytime with earthquake, unless you are using a sash variant, in wich case thats super risky given how hazards are so common.
Passimian, on the other hand, can actually survive an earthquake or two, depending on its spread and fight back with Acrobatics (lets imagine he had a sitrus thats obviouslly used by now or that new item adrenalin orb) or something like that. Thats not a ohko for passimian, but serves to show how he can take hits primeape couldn't and take advantage of defiant where the other one didn't capitalise.
Chances are Passimian and Landorous will hardly ever encounter each other singles. A Ice Punch from Primeape would do signifcantly more damage than a acrobatics. Additionally with acrobatics you cant run Life Orb or other offensive items effectively. Primeape with its good speed can break more pokemon than passimian with its coverage options and greater speed. It may have greater bulk but its not a equal trade off.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Surprised it gets a different Ability.

Speed is just barely usable via a Scarf (or a Speed increasing Ability). Its physical focus with good HP, Special Defense though is 60 so be weary.

STAB option is actually limited, though one of the choices is Close Combat so that's that (and not to mention it could get a type changing Ability). Actually "limited" can describe it movepool, its other notable attacks are Thrash/Double-Edge/Return, Earthquake, Aerial Ace/Acrobatics, Brutal Swing, Rock Slide, and U-turn (also good for retreating). Doesn't get much in utilities either. Egg Moves have Seismic Toss and Iron Head.

So yeah, you can't just throw any Ability onto Passimian, but still there's a lot of Abilities which it can use. Just take a look through all the Abilities and think of ways Passimian can use them whether for itself or for support. It may not have a lot, but that's why its on a team.

It'd be interesting if Passimian could receive RKS System. Hold a memory, then on switch in it could transform into any type. Seems like it'd be very niche though, if it was possible.

why you guys giving my boy passimian so much heat man

Passimian @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brick Break / Close Combat
- Earthquake / Rock Slide
- Iron Head / Rock Slide

or

Passimian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-Turn

bulk up set is pretty nasty because passimian is nice and fat plus when you switch in your lando you boost it like BLAAAT son sack 2 mons, just get a small loan of spdef investment and its a solid mon
choice scarf is like sawk except it has defiant and u-turn so sawk just got outclassed by a rugby monkey that was made for doubles lol

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Speaking as an NU main, this thing is like a refreshing fusion between Sawk and Primeape. In the context of our tier, Sawk's combination of wildly amazing coverage made it insufferable to prepare for while Primeape's low offensive pressure made it significantly less important to consider in the teambuilder over other Fighting-types. Both ran/run CB and CB Passimian kinda meets both halfway with a powerful STAB Close Combat coming off of a base 120 Attack and decent coverage to back it up with U-turn and Earthquake. The last slot is probably a little trickier to bargain for, but that new Dark-type attack, Brutal Swing, is an option for Ghost-types and Rock Slide is decent against traditional Flying-type checks.

This thing will probably suck in every tier above NU (and potentially NU considering I don't know how tiers might shape up), but I've been super excited about it since its introduction. Ruffed lemurs are a mad chill kind of primate.

Dunno how anyone could hate a bro like this

Speaking as an NU main, this thing is like a refreshing fusion between Sawk and Primeape. In the context of our tier, Sawk's combination of wildly amazing coverage made it insufferable to prepare for while Primeape's low offensive pressure made it significantly less important to consider in the teambuilder over other Fighting-types. Both ran/run CB and CB Passimian kinda meets both halfway with a powerful STAB Close Combat coming off of a base 120 Attack and decent coverage to back it up with U-turn and Earthquake. The last slot is probably a little trickier to bargain for, but that new Dark-type attack, Brutal Swing, is an option for Ghost-types and Rock Slide is decent against traditional Flying-type checks.

This thing will probably suck in every tier above NU (and potentially NU considering I don't know how tiers might shape up), but I've been super excited about it since its introduction. Ruffed lemurs are a mad chill kind of primate.

Dunno how anyone could hate a bro like this
So chill, which is why it's a bit ironic that Passimian is based on a player from an aggressive contact sport. Also, I decided when I first saw it that, since it based on a ruffed lemur and a rugby/football player, I'm calling mine "Ruffian".

Now on to the nitty-gritty of it all. Passimian getting Defiant and Iron Head is fantastic! Getting an alternative to Retreiver for Singles is huge (and Defiant is always a plus), and every Fighting-Type needs a good way to handle Fairies (and what better choice than ramming them with its helmeted head?) Combine that with a stat spread that is some sort of hybrid of Sawk and Conkeldurr, and color me intrigued.

Sadly, it will be outclassed in singles for the time being. Sawk has slightly better Speed, and thanks to Tutors, far better coverage. Passimian has the advantage in momentum since it has U-Turn, but no Ice Punch and no Knock Off holds it back a bit.

Passimian is sure to do well in Doubles, but in Singles, it might take a while for it to get the tools it needs to differentiate itself.

As its main ability does nothing in singles Passimian is doomed to outclassed. Adrenaline Orb is a very niche option that would be better done by primeape. I dont know why you would ever use it in a tier with Sawk, Primeape and other fighting types. Iron Head isnt even a big deal because Primeape gets Gunk Shot.

Yes, its main ability does nothing in singles, but that means very little. Hoopa's only ability is essentially worthless in competitive battling, and yet it's still in Ubers. Also, Passimian has a hidden ability, Defiant, which is arguably much better than anything Primeape has to offer. On the contrary, Defiant is tremendously useful for getting in a free Swords Dance every time you predict the opponent to use Defog or do something else to lower your stats. So, in a sense, you may have a point; based off its abilities alone, why would I ever use this in a tier with Sawk, Primeape, and other such Fightning types?

Of course, its stats and movepool do condemn it to see play in lower tiers, but looking only at its main ability and comparing Iron Head to Gunk Shot would severely underrate this Pokémon.
Uh...

Well, any ability it has to offer, that is. I don't do much RU, but I think Defiant is a tad better than Vital Spirit or Anger Point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Apparently Google omitted the fact that Primeape gets defiant. Ignore everything. Last time I resort to multi-million-dollar companies for information.

I did some calls and Primeape actually outclasses Passimian as a defiant user with adrenaline orb. At +1 Atk Primeape outspeeds and ohko's 244/252+ landorus with ice punch. Passimian on the other hand outspeeds at +1 but +1 acrobatics at 110 BP is a 3hko. Acrobatics is a 2hko on offensive landorus. So yeah Passimian is outclassed by Primeape.

Last edited:
I did some calls and Primeape actually outclasses Passimian as a defiant user with adrenaline orb. At +1 Atk Primeape outspeeds and ohko's 244/252+ landorus with ice punch. Passimian on the other hand outspeeds at +1 but +1 acrobatics at 110 BP is a 3hko. Acrobatics is a 2hko on offensive landorus. So yeah Passimian is outclassed by Primeape.
Lmao when will these two ever face off against Landorus? Passimian probably won't rise above NU, where it looks like it'll be a lot of fun to use. Primeape has better speed but lower attack, while Sawk has slightly better atk/spe but lower bulk. With his stat spread and access to U-turn he honestly looks like a bulky cross between the two. He's just fast enough to pull off Scarf and he'll probably see some mileage with Band too. Bulk Up seems interesting and is something the other two lack, but Gurdurr and Throh are probably better users.

Let's not forget that when tutors come out this guy will probably get some really useful moves. Getting Drain Punch would be huge for the BU set, and he's practically guaranteed to get Gunk Shot since he's a primate.

Lmao when will these two ever face off against Landorus? Passimian probably won't rise above NU, where it looks like it'll be a lot of fun to use. Primeape has better speed but lower attack, while Sawk has slightly better atk/spe but lower bulk. With his stat spread and access to U-turn he honestly looks like a bulky cross between the two. He's just fast enough to pull off Scarf and he'll probably see some mileage with Band too. Bulk Up seems interesting and is something the other two lack, but Gurdurr and Throh are probably better users.

Let's not forget that when tutors come out this guy will probably get some really useful moves. Getting Drain Punch would be huge for the BU set, and he's practically guaranteed to get Gunk Shot since he's a primate.
My point was that primeape outclasses Passimian as an adrenaline orb user because of its higher speed and slightly better coverage. Landorus was just an example since its the first 'mon that came to mind when I thought of intimidate users.

Edit: now that I have more time I did some calcs against other intimidate users turns out that Passimian is better than primeape.

Last edited:
I did a quick look through to see, but has it been confirmed that Wonderguard can be passed to this guy? If so I am so teaming it up with a Shedinja.

In singles, passimian is pretty much a worse mienshao, sawk, gallade, hitmonlee and medicham. Seem like it would be a good fighting type in whatever tier it ends up in tho. Close Combat/Iron Head/U-Turn/Earthquake

I am really excited for Passimian. I didn't think much of it at first but it is one of my favorite gen 7 pokemon. I am disappointed in it's movepool compared to those like Primeape and Sawk, however it has the best speed and iron head for coverage. Defiant is awesome as well as receiver in VGC or Doubles which is what I am looking forward too. Maybe Receiver+Contrary could be good if this mon gets moves like Super Power through tutor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)