ORAS OU Pedocham VoltTurn[PEAK #1 - 1949 ELO]

Introduction:

I had not played pokemon much since last gen until my friend omegablitz got me hooked again. He and I wanted to build a team to get to the top of the OU ladder. Before building this team, we had made many other offensive teams that just got completely destroyed by the many stall teams floating around the high OU ladder. We knew that we didn’t want to stoop to the level of boring stall level ourselves (sorry to any stall players out there :p) to counter these other stall teams, so we decided to start off with a wallbreaker.

Ladder Peak:

Proof that I am op rekt swag:

Teambuilding Process:

I had not played much gen VI before building this team, so I wanted to make an OU team similar to my 5th gen style, volt-turning into strong threats. Mega Medicham is without question the absolute strongest wallbreaker ORAS OU, having the highest available attack stat with high bp STAB moves, and access to two great priority moves. These priority moves make Medicham much more than a wallbreaker; Medicham can also serve as a potent late-game cleaner and revenge killer. This became the basis of the team

The main strategy of this team is to use volt switch and u-turn to get a free switch into Medicham on something slower than it. After this, Medicham can proceed to annihilate or cripple another pokemon on the opposing team, assuming that they do not have any healthy Medicham checks to switch in. I decided to go with the old gen 5 volt turn core of Rotom-W and Scizor. They are still excellent partners in ORAS OU with great synergy that put a lot of offensive pressure. Scizor also serves as this team’s necessary pseudo-spinner.

The number one counter/switch-in to Medicham is without question Mega Sableye. Mega Sableye is immune to both of Medicham’s STABs and takes pitiful damage for any of its coverage moves. Rotom-W and Scizor also can not damage Sableye that reliably, Rotom having to rely on hydro miss and scizor getting burned. To deal with Sableye I looked for a fairy type because it is the only type super effective against Sableye. After testing with many different fairies, I decided on Sylveon. Sylveon can serve as a cleric, allowing play to be much more risky, as getting burned is easily remedied by a quick heal bell from Sylveon. Sylveon also has an extremely strong fairy move in hyper voice, even when uninvested thanks to Pixilate. Finally, Sylveon is an excellent special sponge that takes some of the burden off of Rotom-W for absorbing specially based hits.

With the abundance of stall teams in the ORAS OU metagame, having stealth rock is a necessity. Stealth rocks are also obviously very helpful against balanced teams when volt turn forces so many switches. I wanted my stealth rocker on this team to be be able to sponge physical attacks because otherwise too much strain is put on Scizor. I ended up picking Landorus-T for this role because of its excellent ability in Intimidate, access to u-turn, and its ground typing which makes other teams think twice before using volt switch. Landorus is also extremely strong even uninvested with its base 145 attack.

The last slot of this team was sort of up for grabs. I wanted another powerful wallbreaker that forced switches. I tried Manaphy and Kyurem-Black among other things but I did not like Kyurem-B’s stealth rock weakness and Manaphy’s lack of immediate power. I decided on Breloom due to its amazing immediate strength, priority, and utility in spore to cripple one of the opposing team’s pokemon after coming on on a free switch against something slower. It also has good synergy with my team, having a grass type and a stealth rock resistance to let me bring it in often. Breloom may not fit perfectly on paper, but all of its positive traits allow it to pull its own weight no matter the opposing team.

The Team:

Medicham (M) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- High Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch​

The moveset of Medicham is mostly self explanatory. High jump kick is a necessary evil (why you miss??) that is incredibly strong whenever it hits, especially coming off of Medicham’s insane attack. Psycho cut is the second STAB move in the set. It used over zen headbutt because it avoids things such as rocky helmet Garchomp and Cofagrigus’s mummy, and for the 100% accuracy. The power drop isn’t really missed, as it doesn’t miss any critical KOs. The fake out and bullet punch combo is able to revenge kill many things, such as offensive Lati@s at 60% or below. I found that ice punch wasn’t really worth the loss in reliable priority in bullet punch, as Medicham can destroy Landorus-T and Garchomp anyway with just a few hits. Medicham is extremely dangerous and most teams without sableye or a bulky psychic type just lose a pokemon every time Medicham gets a free switch. Medicham has an adamant nature because it really should only be coming in on things slower than it; it never should have to get into a speed tie situation.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Focus Punch​

This Breloom set forms a great core with Medicham. Spore is useful because once a pokemon is asleep, it will never get a chance to do anything for the rest of the game. Focus punch is unimaginably strong and actually usable due to the amount of switches breloom forces. I often catch scizor and skarmory switching in to breloom only to be crippled or faint outright to an adamant life orb focus punch. Medicham and Breloom together can wipe the floor of almost any physical wall in the OU metagame. I never found rock tomb to be necessary because focus punch almost always hits hard enough, although rock tomb could be useful for Shedinja, Charizard, and Altaria. Breloom’s technician boosted mach punch also adds to this team’s many powerful priority attacks, which has helped countless times in dispatching already set up opposing threats.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect​

Sylveon is a great special sponge that acts as our cleric. Heal bell lets us play riskily with our pokemon not fearing potential burns as much. Hyper voice is the necessary STAB attack that is what makes Sylveon so great as a switch in to pokemon such as Sableye and Keldeo. Many offensive teams without a fairy resist have a tough time finding a switch in even to an uninvested hyper voice. Wish and protect provide Sylveon’s necessary recovery as well as allowing Sylveon to scout choiced pokemon’s moves, pass heals to other members of the team, and stack the passive recovery from leftovers.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down/ Knock Off/ Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock​

Landorus-T is a great partner to sylveon being able to sponge up most physical hits. Intimidate is very useful for this team to change Landorus-T’s decent physical bulk into excellent physical bulk. The 20 special defense EV’s allow Landorus-T to survive Mega Manectric’s HP Ice 100% of the time and set up rocks or EQ for massive damage. U-turn and stealth rock are mandatory in order to get rocks up and maintain momentum. I only just changed knock off to smack down at ~1920 ELO because smack down is in general more useful for dealing with things such as specially defensive talonflame, dragonite, togekiss, skarmory, etc. I didn’t find knock off to be that useful because Medicham’s high jump kick decimates pokemon such as Chansey anyway. I often send in Landorus in to die to physical threats to get off the intimidate and a free switch into something for a kill.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp​

Scarf Rotom-W is a very good and unexpected revenge killer in this tier. I usually lead Rotom-W because it dispatches most of Medicham’s counter leads such as Starmie Landorus-T. I sometimes even get a turn 1 KO on Landorus-T because it either thinks it can outspeed and U-turn or set up rocks while I will o wisp. Many people have called me “dumb” for using will-o-wisp on a scarf set, but it actually turns out to be very useful. Rotom-W can cripple threats such as Mega Lopunny and Mega Scizor while setting up who think they are safe just because scarf Rotom-Ws do not usually run will-o-wisp to my knowledge.

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog​

Scizor’s moveset explains itself. It has the mandatory STAB bullet punch and u-turn, as well as roost for reliable recovery and defog for removing hazards. Scizor’s bullet punch is still pretty powerful and very useful against strong sweepers. Scizor is another pokemon I am quick to sacrifice for a free switch. I do, however, use Scizor conservatively against stall to make sure I can remove hazards. Its typing, along with its physical bulk, is excellent and allows me to switch it into Lati@s and Mega-Gardevoir’s psyshocks and draco meteors. I use Scizor along with Sylveon to check Gengar by switching into sludge bomb because nothing on my team can really take a hit. Most every team needs a fairy and dragon resist to function and Scizor serves well for this slot.

Threats:

Gengar is a threat to this team because of no consistent switchin. Sylveon is the general switchin to strong special attackers, but it gets hurt badly by sludge bomb/wave. The strategy to beat Gengar is to go to Scizor on a predicted sludge bomb and bullet punch to cripple it, or u-turn on the switch and catch it with scarf Rotom-W later.

Both Charizards are also threats to this team. Charizard Y practically gets a kill every time it comes in. If it somehow gets a free switch, I go to Rotom and live one fire blast, then volt switch to something predicting the solarbeam and worst case sacking a pokemon. Charizard X is more easily dealt with using Landorus and intimidate but Landorus has to be completely healthy to switch in. Usually when my opponent has a Charizard, I lead Rotom and get use volt switch. If the Charizard is Charizard X, then I switch to Landorus to sponge the hit, and if it is Charizard Y, I sack a poke depending on my opponent’s team(usually sylveon scizor or landorus) and go back into Rotom. If I catch a charizard switch-in on a volt switch/u-turn, I can stall out the sun on sylveon with protect and wish.

The Sableye/Shedinja core is the single biggest threat to this team. The only strategy that has worked in practice is to weaken Sableye to the point where it cannot switch into Landorus-T anymore, by constantly u-turning, volt switching, predicting, and hard switching. After this is accomplished, rocks can be put up. After this, the opposing team usually has nothing to stop Medicham from outright sweeping. Rotom-W needs to trick something the scarf and then willl o wisp its threats to death. Breloom needs to spore one of their core pokemon to sleep. Breloom is very useful against these teams because bullet seed can often break Sableye. Sylveon is necessary in these battles because of its heal bell and because it forces Sableye to switch out. If rocks are up but the opposing team has a defogger and is playing carefully, the best strategy is to pp stall their defog with stealth rocks. These games are really annoying to play against, and can last 100+ turns, but if played right, the team should prevail.

Life Orb Serperior can be really annoying to face with this team if it comes in on something slower use leaf storm. This was one of the reasons Togekiss was used over Sylveon, but Sylveon was better 90% of the time. Serperior can be beaten on account of its frailty. Even if it gets a revenge kill with its leaf storm, my 3 strong priority users are more than enough to take it down. Sylveon also can eat a +2 life orb leaf storm while retaliating rather well with hyper voice. This strategy can work by switching to scizor to take the first leaf storm, and then switching to Sylveon to eat the predicted HP fire.

Bulky psychics are a threat for the obvious reason that they resist Medicham’s dual STABs. Mew and Celebi aren’t that much of a problem because they can only take so many high jump kicks. The real annoyance is Slowbro, which is probably the number 1 Medicham counter outside Sableye. This is because Slowbro has access to regenerator and can repeatedly switch in. Slowbro is dealt with by somehow getting a free switch Breloom and sporing it, bullet seeding it, or focus punching predicting the switch to something like Scizor.

Conclusion:
All in all, this team has been a blast for me (besides HJK misses >_<) because of its ability to easily keep momentum. Medicham is the crux of this team with its unimaginably strong high jump kick. I hope you guys will give it a shot, and give some feedback on how you like the team and maybe some suggestions as well!

Importable:
http://pastebin.com/sG6wTGGE

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, nice team! I'm by far not the best at OR/AS OU and you peaked at #1 on the ladder, so I can't think of many flaws that this team has, outside of talonflame. On offensive teams, talonflame weakens Landorus-T and scaf Rotom-W and keeps up hefty pressure, making it hard to pass wishes with Sylveon. It's hard to pack Baton Pass on Sylveon because of the much needed wishtect and heal bell set, but it would rly benefit.

I don't really have anything else to say, other than that I really enjoyed reading your RMT. The sprites and explanation were very detailed, and you put a lot of time and effort into making this. You seem to be a really solid and smart player, and I hope I run into you on the ladder once haha!

Have a good day :]

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice team.
Your threats aren't unbeatable by any means. Gengar can easily be OHKO'd if you predict a switchin using megacham and psycho cut (which happens quite often, at least to my megacham). The breloom set I'm going to suggest easily deals with both zards, and sheddy. Slowbro is annoying, but he's really not a huge threat.

I like a lot of this team. You probably know better than me having peaked #1, but here is my suggested breloom set.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

A standard HO breloom lead. Start off with rock tomb if you predict a switch to almost guarantee you being faster, and then spore, or simply spore start if you don't think they'll switch to an immunity. This set deals easily with both zards and nearly all leads because of the sashsleep combo. After you spore, rock tomb to predict switchins. This easily deals with zards and tflame.

I'd say good luck with your team, but you already peaked #1. Congrats :)

After peaking 1870 with this team on my alt "THEHEATERSONRIOTS" i have found it very enjoyable to use medicham's pure strength. However, any time i come up against that sableye shedinja nonsense i have to click x. the team also struggles with beating stall, so sableye is a recurring problem. Honestly i looked through the team and nothing is really replaceable to beat sableye. If you can think of anything I would be very happy but i have yet to do so myself.

And to think this wouldn't be a problem if the most "competitive" players didn't all bring skill less mons :(

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Cynthia's Chomp: You're right Talonflame does pose a threat, especially specially defensive taunt ones but I basically deal with it by switching in Rotom-W. I know it gets worn down eventually but Sylveon can usually pass a wish quite easily. If that does not work, Landorus-T can usually switch in with intimidate and hurt it badly with smack down even after getting will-o-wisp.

Joshz: True, Gengar is not that big of a threat when it does not have a free switch but when it does, it can be a problem. Thanks for the suggestion for the Breloom set but I think Breloom needs a life orb to keep its power. I also will really miss focus punch because it usually just does so much damage to anything even if it resists.

Pulkit Rampa: You're absolutely right. Stall destroys this team but basically the way to win is to double switch a lot and predict the sableye switch and use breloom to its best. It is hard but it is possible. I think changing this team to beat stall would only make it worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)