XY UU Perilous Change (Peaked #1)

Introduction

With the current metagame coming to a close with the September tier shifts, I wanted to make a bulky offense team that would really capitalize on how Heracross, who, along with Slowbro and Mew, is leaving the tier in only a few days, due to how defining it is in the current metagame. It really rose to glory all the way back in April, when the metagame was still very early, thanks to its ability to dismantle the prominent bulky waters in the tier with relative ease, which was needed due to the popularity of Suicune, Swampert, and Slowbro. It really stood out, being one of the few mons to switch into Scald repeatedly without much worry (well, except for Slowbro who could just Psyshock, but in most cases it wouldn't like to risk that) without worry of burn thanks to its decent bulk and access to Guts, it really stood out as one of the premier physical attackers (probably rivaled with Victini) in the tier, which only grew more true with the June, with the presence of Blissey in the tier, and with the immense popularity of Blissey, Slowbro, and Mew on balance teams (usually they're all on the same team), it really shines as being able to dismantle them, with the only thing standing in its way as a switch-in being physically bulky fairy-types, particularly Aromatisse and Granbull, who are not major problems for this team.

At a glance, this looks like the definition of a cookie-cutter bulky offense team in UU, and while that may or may not be true, it's still very effective in the current shape of the metagame. I've peaked #8 with this team on the ladder, but seeing the current shape of the ladder (even with ULT going on), I don't think it's worth more than a mention.

Teambuilding Process

As this team is built around Heracross, I used the most common set, Choice Band. While Swords Dance is not a bad option, Heracross, from my experience, has very little opportunities to set up against offense, and functions much better as an early-game breaker (well, it can theoretically break at any point if it's the right situation, but more often than not I have used it early-game more than any other point).

With pretty much any bulky offense team, you need a check to stuff that defines fire spam, such as Victini, Darmanitan, Entei, etc. Mega Blastoise is an easy fit, being able to switch in at least once to them, and, assuming they go for their Fire STAB, you will be able to at the very least force them out. It's also the best offensive spinner in the tier, being able to smash spinblockers thanks to its access to a psuedo-STAB in Dark Pulse, and it has a mix of defensive and offensive capabilities which help it really succeed, making it the spinner of choice for nearly every bulky offense team. It also has good offensive synergy with Heracross, being able to check the aformentioned Fire-types, as well as common switch-ins to Heracross such as Granbull, physically defensive Aromatisse, and Gligar. Heracross, on the other hand, is able to plow through Blissey, as well as less common stuff such as specially defensive Roserade.

Next, I needed something that could support these two fairly well, and set up rocks. Normally, the first thing that would come to mind is Nidoqueen, and why wouldn't it? It has good offensive synergy with the two, and provides an immunity to Toxic Spikes and Volt Switch. But I decided to use Jirachi, due to its ability to outspeed and threaten mons that Nidoqueen wouldn't, such as Heracross (if its carrying EQ then it's a big threat to queen, anyway) and Roserade, as well as providing a Dragon resist that is key on most bulky offensive teams, as well as having a good speed stat coupled with U-turn to keep up offensive pressure. It also handles Florges, which, while only seen nowadays on balance teams is annoying to the current offensive core.

Next, I needed a fighting resist, specifically something that could check the likes of Heracross and Scarf Mienshao, since Heracross is very shaky due to Close Combat's defense drops, and Megahorn's shaky accuracy (as well as AA Mien but thats uncommon for some stupid reason). Crobat was a definite answer, being able to fit that bill, as well as providing Taunt support, a ground immunity, and keeping momentum with U-turn.

Even though some can consider Crobat a revenge killer, I still needed a scarfer, since I needed something that can revenge kill and clean late-game. Hydreigon, being the best scarfer in the tier, was the obvious choice, as it's usually my best answer to a boosted Mega Absol and Honchkrow, and has great offensive synergy with the rest of my team, as well as providing an electric resistance.

Lastly, I needed another nuke that paired well offensively with Hydreigon, seeing as the only thing on my team that could straight up take advantage of Blissey was Heracross. I also needed something that could easily force out a wide portion of the tier, and regain momentum easily in case i lost it. I decided to go with Victini, since it can nuke literally the entire tier if played right, and is a good check to mons that are a little bit annoying to my team, such as the Nidos.

In-Depth

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt

Victini is pretty much a staple on every offensive team in the tier, and for good reason, with its good movepool and a huge nuke in V-Create. I lead with it pretty much 90% of the time, due to its ability to dismantle defensive cores early-game. It's also great against offensive teams, as if it manages to get in safely and they don't have a bulky water or Arcanine, something is going to be taking a huge chunk of damage, and that's only if they resist. If they do have the aformentioned switch-ins, then I'll usually just U-turn out, unless they have no electric resists in which case I just Bolt Strike. Zen Headbutt is usually what I'll use to clean up late-game, when most of their team is weakened and they have no immunities or resists. Grass Knot is usable as well to make Victini serve as a lure to the likes of Swampert and Rhyperior, but the overall consistency of Zen Headbutt, as well as the added chance of flinchhax is more preferable to me.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Dragon Pulse

Pretty much my go-to switchin to stuff like Darm, Tini, Entei, Jirachi, and a lot of other mons commonly found on opposing offense. It forces out the stuff that Jirachi and Victini hates, usually letting it get a free spin off, unless I see that they have something like Sableye, which really hates coming in due to the fact that they pretty much get shat on if I use anything other than Rapid Spin, but since it's found on the ever-popular dual Ghost core, most players will try to be very conservative of their hazards (unless they still have their Froslass alive, most likely as death fodder after it's set up Spikes), so I usually just smash them with any attack, forcing them to either Will-o to slightly wear me down or just play Recover games, which they will usually lose.

A lot of people have suggested me to use Scald over Hydro Pump, which I really don't agree with. Yes, you have the chance of missing Hydro Pump, as well as the burn chance, but you already have two psuedo-STAB moves with 100% accuracy in Dark Pulse and Dragon Pulse; if you're feeling more comfortable with not risking a miss, then just use the other two attacks, as Hydro Pump is strictly for power. Speaking of those two, Dark Pulse usually hits the likes of Slowbro, Mew, and Dragon Pulse kills both Hydreigon and Haxorus, as well as giving you an option to hit less common threats, such as Toxicroak and Chesnaught. Aura Sphere is garbage; the only things you hit with it are Umbreon, Blissey (for 30% ._. ), and Empoleon, who are all checked easily by Heracross. Plus, the ability to stop Haxorus from getting a sweep is too good to pass up. The speed EVs are to get the jump on opposing Stoise / Queen that run enough to outspeed -1 Tini.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch

Jirachi has pretty much been the most reliable offensive rocks setter in UU, probably only second to Nidoqueen. It provides an extremely useful Steel-typing, letting it switch into Draco Meteors multiple times without much worry. It also has good offensive synergy with Hydreigon, forcing out those annoying Fairies which lets it get up Stealth Rock for free, or keeping up offensive pressure with U-turn. Iron Head is obviously the main STAB of choice, and can prove to be pretty clutch in late game situations. Fire Punch is used so that I can at least get something out of Forretress switching in, and I'm not complete bait for it to do whatever it wants, despite it only being a 3HKO against physically bulky sets. It also hits opposing Jirachi, Metagross, and Lucario; the latter being pretty important, as I'm otherwise set-up bait. When you compare it with Nidoqueen, the only reason you'd really use it over Queen as a rocks setter is its resistance to Dragon and its Speed. The only thing that becomes a significant problem with Jirachi is Mega Ampharos, who, if played right, can be a huge pain in the ass to my entire team. However, I think I'd have a slightly bigger problem if I used Queen as i lack anything that can switch into Scarf Hydreigon's Draco Meteor more than once, which is pretty big, considering its hit-and-run style.

Crobat
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- U-turn

There's probably one thing you'll notice after looking at this Crobat; it has no item. This might seem odd, as the passive recovery of Black Sludge is nice to have. However, this does have some utility; it lets you switch into the likes of Knock Off users such as Choice Band Hera, Mienshao, and Mega Absol easier; in fact, you take about 33% less damage from Knock Off from all three of these mons without an item, which is crucial considering how many times you're going to want to switch Crobat in to Hera and Mienshao. With this, you beat these mons much easier, and you avoid the recoil that you would normally take from BB. I'd like to give credit to xMarth for coming up with this, as it's really an effective set and a cool metagame trend (not that he told me about it, I just stole it from him like I do with everything :^) )

On to the actual set, you'll notice I've chosen Taunt over the common Defog. This is kinda obvious as I have Megastoise as my hazard control, and, while it can be argued that Crobat is more reliable as a hazard cleaner, it has more to gain with the freed slot than Stoise. With Taunt, you prevent set-up, which is kind of hazard control in its own way, and you also prevent Wishes being passed, etc. And the best part is, you actually beat Specially Defensive Mew with this set if they're not running Psyshock. U-turn is a must on any Crobat set in the current metagame, as it keeps offensive momentum and gets you into your appropriate check. Toxic can be ran over Taunt if you feel like it, as Crobat lures bulky waters and Rhyperior insanely easily, although you can just U-turn out on a predicted switch anyway. The spread is to outspeed Noivern, which is important, because the stallbreaker set is kind of a threat to my team, and full attack investment is used because, well, while it's not exactly the most offensive mon on my team, it helps wear down stuff for Hydreigon / Victini late-game, and even Crobat itself can be used to clean late-game under the right circumstances.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

The premier revenge killer of the tier, Hydreigon really ties everything together for this team. It's usually the team's best answer to Mega Absol and Honchkrow (especially if they're +2), so keeping it healthy and avoiding Hydreigon from getting its scarf knocked off is mandatory when facing one of these mons. It can also switch into a V-create if Blastoise is dead or you need it healthy, so it serves as a back-up check to firespam as well. Hydreigon usually can come in after something dies or an attack that it's immune to is predicted, and forces pretty much anything not named Aromatisse, Florges, or Granbull, in which case I'll probably U-turn to Jirachi to keep up offensive momentum. There's not much to really say about Hydreigon after that, other than the fact that I use Fire Blast solely for Lucario, which is pretty useful in some situations (i.e. I lead with Hydrei and they lead with Froslass, they go into Luke expecting Dark Pulse, I nab a kill with Fire Blast while losing nothing if Lass stays in other than one layer of Spikes / a potential Thunder Wave).

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

The star of the show, the bulky water slayer, and probably one of the most influential Pokemon in the tier. Heracross has done a huge amount of work in almost every game it's been used in, and it forms a hideously strong dual Choice Band wallbreaking core with Victini that punches holes in both offensive and defensive teams alike. Heracross is your main Scald switch-in, being able to take advantage of the burn and smash through the likes of Suicune, Swampert, and Alomomola. It's for this reason why Heracross is the premier wallbreaker; it's one of the only mons that can switch into Scald and is not weak to it without risk of being crippled by the burn, which is pretty big considering if you were to switch in your Mega Absol, non Lum Haxorus, Lucario, and a whole bunch of other prominent physical attackers in the tier against balance teams, which more often than not run Blissey, and you get burned..well, you're kinda fucked.

I was debating between Earthquake and Stone Edge in the last slot for quite some time, and I decided to go with the former due to better coverage; it lets you demolish the Nidos, and Stone Edge is kind of unreliable, considering the only thing you're hitting with it is Crobat, which you have to hope hits on the switch. Jolly Nature is used due to the growing popularity of Timid Chandelure, but if you feel the need to go with Adamant, then feel free.

Conclusion

What must be kept in mind when using this team is that there isn't really a need for a sweeper, when you essentially have two win conditions in an extremely powerful wallbreaking core, along with a momentum core that provides constant offensive pressure, letting you get one of these members in safely and tear apart a huge part of their team. Losing one of these members, particularly Victini, is really game-changing as you're trying to nuke as much as possible while keeping a constant flow of pressure on your side.

There really is only one massive threat to this team with my experience, which I have noted, being Mega Ampharos; physically defensive sets can switch into Victini and Jirachi multiple times without being worn down due to Rest, and Agility sets, given the chance, can plow through my entire team.
Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Dragon Pulse

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch

Crobat
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- U-turn

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Final Look

Last edited:
Threatlist

Volt-turn

The biggest threat to my team, if they have Ampharos. I really have no way to stop these things due to the fact that I have no Volt Switch immunity, other than try to kill Amphy as fast as possible, which is usually done with Heracross or Hydrei. Stoise can kill it too with Dragon Pulse if I can get some prior damage on it, and after that Hera and Stoise usually plow through.

Dual Ghost Spikes Offense

In most cases I usually just lead with Jirachi, if they lead with Froslass (they almost always will), I U-turn out into Hydreigon, as Jirachi forces them out the most, since they dont wanna risk a Scarf Iron Head flinch. If they do stay in, they'll usually either T-wave or set up Spikes, which is annoying if they do the former, but Jirachi is the thing on my team that minds paralysis the least, and one layer of Spikes isn't terrible. You can also lead with Crobat and Taunt, but some have Icy Wind which is annoying. Keeping Blastoise as healthy as possible is key to beating these teams, as with hazard support, mons commonly found on these teams like Lucario and Sharpedo can potentially clean.

Hyper Offense

I usually lead with Stoise against these teams, Rapid Spin on the first turn, then I either Dark Pulse predicting another set up of rocks or I just go straight into Jirachi to tank the Explosion. These teams are only really annoying if they have Mienshao, which I have answers to, but it almost always just U-turns.

Balance

Heracross loves these teams; the only switch in they usually have is a bulky fairy, which are all mauled by Victini and Jirachi. However, they usually run offenses of their own which can be annoying at times, as I can only switch into Victini so many times(like 3 lol). Also, try not to recklessly switch in Hera to Mew and Slowbro, as they could just Psyshock you on the switch.

Stall

Crobat is a huge pain in the ass for these teams thanks to Taunt, and usually the things that can handle it get mauled by Heracross. I have to make sure they don't set up Toxic Spikes, though, as that can get really annoying.

Bulky Offense

Mega Blastoise can be annoying at times, but assuming its not running more speed than I am it's manageable with my own stoise. a lot of these bulky offense teams are similar, so identifying what's their firespam check, their early-game breaker, their SR setter, these are all really helpful in taking it down. Also, the earlier you get rid of their Victini / Nidoqueen, the much better chance you have of winning.

Last edited:
Greqt team! There really isnt too much to be said, you know how effeftive your team is.

:-)

Edit: Don't you want 48 HP vs. 52 on Crobat to hit a SR number?

Last edited:

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Cool team bouff, I´ve seen you ladder with this team and it seems to work really well. Only thing you could possibly change is a bulkier rachi spread to tank hits from Hydreigon better(like 120 HP), but outside of that it is perfect. Good job :]

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
yes i believe with 120 HP 252 atk and the rest in speed with jolly nature creeps timid nidoking / base 85s

thanks guys. i really dont agree with the change of spread however, since tying with base 100s is always nice, and also cause luke is a bitch if my team is weakened late game and most lukes fsr dont know that it gets fire punch. granted, you need prior damage on it for it to kill but still.

i also said i wouldnt be adding any peaks, but yesterday my son breh peaked #1 using this team so ill probably have to add it in anyway. i checked ladder today and he went down to #8 but its a peak so :L

and uh patrick i thought i already hit a sr number but ill take your word for it so

Bouffalant With 52 EVs, Crobat hits 324 HP. With 48 EVs, you hit a SR number of 323.

But, I guess it isn't AS important tbh. You have mega stoise for spinning so hypothetically there should be no rocks on your side of the field...

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I was gonna post a team but then I realized almost all of my teams use Tini/Hydrei/Crobat. Overall this team is a good summary of the metagame that resulted from the June drops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)