Gen 3 Perish Trap RMT

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just posting a team I use when I want to have fun/have trouble building a team/want to test my creativity. I like to come back every now and then to see if I can make improvements to it, but I'd also like some user feedback on it, for once.

Dream Wing (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SAtk / 56 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

First half of the Zapdos/Umbreon combination. Zapdos's advantage over other Speed passers is that it poses a legitimate threat to common phazers, hitting Skarmory and Suicune for Super Effective damage with a STABed Thunderbolt and destroying the occasionally Roar Swampert. It doesn't do too bad against Roar Zapdos, but as long as I can prevent Spikes from being setup (in which this team has a relatively strong possibility to do so), I can work around it in time. The only real hindrances are the rare Roar Jolteon and Roar Raikou, the latter of which I can destroy with Dugtrio.

Margaret Moonlight (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 216 HP / 96 Def / 60 SDef / 136 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Mean Look
- Baton Pass
- Taunt
- Rest

Zapdos's partner in crime. With an Agility pass from Zapdos, it outspeeds and Taunts everything that wants to Substitute or Taunt Umbreon before it can do its job. If you don't already know how this works, it prevents phazers from getting out of Mean Look. If they do stay in to get trapped, I can pass back to Zapdos for a likely 1-2HKO or Suicune if maybe Salamence stayed in. Otherwise, I can kick it over to Celebi or Gengar to start Perish Song. Suicune can also take the opportunity to boost up if something like a Water-type was dumb enough to stick around. Umbreon's also a good pivot to do some double Baton Passing with, allowing me to bring Dugtrio in to get rid of Tyranitar, Heracross, or Jirachi immediately if I am on my toes. The standard comes with Wish, but I am using Rest to go along with Heal Bell Celebi.

Dr. Killinger (Gengar) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Def / 188 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Perish Song
- Mean Look
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Gengar can operate to the theme of this team on its own, which is cool. Because I have no true answer to special walls, this set forces said walls to commit suicide. While trapped, it's somewhat of a guessing game in my favor. Even if I can't force the opponent to hit me with Taunt (ie, Snorlax decides to use Body Slam instead of Shadow Ball/Blissey uses Seismic Toss instead of Ice Beam) to try and waste my Destiny Bond PP, at any given point, I could start up Perish Song, and force them to die, one way or the other. Other than that, it also serves as an important resistance to Heracross, if I can't immediately lure it into getting hit by Dugtrio, as well as a backup to forcing things out with Perish Song if Celebi is unable to handle the job at the time.

Bonnie Appleseed (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 148 Def / 120 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Heal Bell
- Perish Song
- Baton Pass

The obvious Perish to Umbreon's Trap. Baton Pass is for escaping Dugtrio's Arena Trap. Heal Bell is for waking up Umbreon and Suicune after a Rest, though it also helps with Sleep in general, considering I don't have a sleep absorber. Being able to abuse Umbreon's Synchronize in junction with Heal Bell is also a potential plus.

Blue Beating (Suicune) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 212 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Ice Beam
- Surf

The only answer I really have to Metagross/Salamence/Aerodactyl or even Tyranitar, if Dugtrio is down. Moltres randomly blows the rest of this team up as well, so Suicune stops that from happening. Should a poor sap like Milotic get trapped by Umbreon this is also a go-to for setting up an easy +6 from Calm Mind, possibly with a +2 in Speed, courtesy of Zapdos.

Full House (Dugtrio) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 48 HP / 240 Atk / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Complements Perish Song well, in case the opponent thinks they want to stick around until the last turn/KOs something on the second Perish turn, only to get trapped by Dugtrio and be forced into its doom. Otherwise, with 3 Baton Passers hanging around, it can get the jump on certain threats, such as Tyranitar, Raikou, Jirachi, and Celebi and rack up some safe, easy kills.

This team can be overrun by some of the heavier offenders, so I have to work around them to get a Perish Song up, then somehow give Umbreon the initiative. Hopefully Zapdos scares some things off and Dugtrio can kill certain things. Particularly has some issues with Regice, but I can often sacrifice Gengar to take it down, since I use it to remove special walls most of the time, anyway.

Exportable:
Dream Wing (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SAtk / 56 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Margaret Moonlight (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 216 HP / 96 Def / 60 SDef / 136 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Mean Look
- Baton Pass
- Taunt
- Rest

Dr. Killinger (Gengar) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Def / 188 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Perish Song
- Mean Look
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Bonnie Appleseed (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 148 Def / 120 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Heal Bell
- Perish Song
- Baton Pass

Blue Beating (Suicune) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 212 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Full House (Dugtrio) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 48 HP / 240 Atk / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Changes:

Zapdos
Substitute => HP Grass -- Passing two things at a time always feels slow, and making this team work requires a bit of touch-and-go. Substitute was welcomed to block status (didn't have Heal Bell on Celebi at the time), but Swampert kept pissing me off (no Suicune at the time either), especially the ones that had Roar. When this does the most damage to Gengar, I shouldn't be itching to waste HP on substitutes in the first place.

Umbreon
Wish => Rest -- Wish was cool for the Rest of the team, but any time I spent trying to support others Wish simply shaved off Umbreon's own life. Even if I used Wish exclusively for Umbreon's health, at certain points I was still taking too much damage and needed to Baton Pass out anyway. When Suicune was included, I also swapped out Leech Seed on Celebi for Heal Bell, in which case I thought "Why not use Rest on Umbreon as well?" It might not be able to stay mobile like it would with Wish, but instant healing was not that bad of a deal at the point of the game when Umbreon needed to use it.

Gengar
Hypnosis/Protect => Taunt -- I'd actually been flailing around with what to do with Gengar's set. I don't actually like relying on Hypnosis for anything, and if I wanted to literally force Perish Song to work as its sole strategy, I'd have to pair Protect with Hypnosis or Substitute. I decided Taunt was more reliable. While Perish Song does its job, it stops helpless utilities like Forretress from doing anything and forcing things to die one way or the other (Mean Look/Perish Song or Taunt/Destiny Bond) is just really neat for clutch/disadvantageous situations.

Celebi
Leech Seed => Heal Bell -- Leech Seed helped soak up a little bit of health, and when I'd first designated this to truly be a gimmick team, I used a Substitute/Protect with Leftovers set on Dugtrio. The idea was that anything that took a Leech Seed and killed something/outran and allowed Celebi to Baton Pass out to Dugtrio would eventually be stalled out by Dugtrio. When I started getting serious and realized I need Dugtrio to actually be able to kill Tyranitar in one hit, Leech Seed became less of a commodity. I considered Reflect, since I have nothing to resist Aerodactyl Rock Slides, but with a potentially sleeping Suicune, the eventual addition of Rest on Umbreon, and tons of problems that could surface from status, Heal Bell seemed like a good move.

Suicune
Swampert => Suicune -- Swampert provided a valuable rock resistance, and I still think fits on this team pretty well. The only disadvantage it provides to the team is opening it up to Moltres. Suicune's advantage is that it could get a free, full set up with a trap pass from Umbreon, which, on a team lacking in offensive options, was more desirable.

Dugtrio
Substitute/Protect Stall => Choice Band -- As mentioned with Celebi, I paired it with Leech Seed as an extra "You're trapped and you're eventually going to die" option. However, it also worked with Perish Song, since most Pokemon like to stay in on at least the first turn, in which case I could Baton Pass to Dugtrio and safely wait out the timer. I'd eventually have to learn to work without that fun advantage, as OHKOing threats was crucial.

if you really want umbreon to avoid status/leech seed then you might want to just pass subs over with zapdos, and it can protect the rest of your team as well, and has better synergy with dugtrio and gengar who value the free switchin much more than the speed.

also you might want to go with cm/ib/rest/surf cune over pert since having a setup sweeper to go with umbreon is gr8 and losing the rock resistance is really actually not that big of a deal and dugtrio backs you up against ddttar.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Using Heal Bell Celebi since I've swapped Swampert for Cune and am trying Rest on Umbreon over Wish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)