Postgame Persona Mafia Postgame

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.

Persona Mafia Postgame

So this game actually came to me on a whim in the middle of Underground Mafia. I really liked the role Joshua and how it was supposed to theoretically play out with his win condition. The assumption was that if one player in one of the two partnerships would die, then he would have a chance to ally himself with the remaining partner. The idea of a reverse lynch-pin sparked the idea of a mass lynch-pin set up. In the mass lynch-pin set up, everyone was under the assumption that they were village. No kidding. Everyone. They’re win conditions would basically start out with “You are allied with the village, you win if you remove all other threats.” However, once a person died, then whoever was “secretly” allied with that person would break off from the main village in a lynch-pin alliance. The idea to put HP into the game became obvious when I thought that there should be a way to slightly delay these from happening. The theme came up while I was thinking of concepts to throw into the game. The idea of Personas and fusions made me giddy and I wanted to try it out in the game. The Expert label became a must due to the complexity of all of the concepts that were going to be used in the game, as I didn’t want another “Sir” experience like in Underground Mafia where the noobs dropped out due to difficulty. However, in order to get the game going, I need a cohost to give me good feedback. Originally I had Midou hop on board, but as soon as billymills told me that my cohost needed to be a strong one, I dropped him (sorry Midou) in favor of Jumpluff who offered to help cohost one of my games earlier which never ended up coming into fruition. So then I dove into making the game.

The game itself was built from the top-down. In other words all the stats, mechanics, and such were worked out before win conditions became official. The reason why I kept the win conditions for last was to make sure that the Personas would be fairly balanced out early on in tandem with the win conditions. I also felt it was necessary to put strong contemplation into win conditions so that all the problems could be tweaked out. Fusion mechanics were also left last so that a proper fusion mechanic could be developed. After around a month of working on both this game and my Mafia Article, I was pretty much finished. However, the only remaining things were win conditions and a few last things pertaining fusions. Now, I don’t have anything against jumpluff, and I hope she doesn’t have anything against me, but it was hard to get a good time to talk with her so that we could finish up the win conditions, as I felt that the win conditions were supposed to be the most important aspect in the making of this game. She’s a busy gal, and I’m a busy guy. What could we do? In any event, my impatience got the better of me as summer was getting really close, and so I decided to put up signups. During the middle of signups, I decided to use an idea I had during one of the few conversations I had with her of putting players into partnerships into a semi-FFA game. However, I really rushed pushing out a win condition, and as such made a huge sloppy mistake.

And so, I will say that this game is one where everything that could go wrong did.

A deeper look at the concepts

Personas: Personas were the easiest thing to generate for the game. Using the idea I had with Pins and Levelling Up from Underground Mafia and FFV Mafia respectively, I decided to fuse the two ideas to create the idea behind Personas (the pun is very much intended).
Stats: I had worked with Attack and HP in the past, but never worked with the concept of Defense that Paper Mario Mafia introduced or the concept of Speed (which is just a RPG concept in general). And so I thought using those two stat types would be create something fresh and new, not to mention make the game feel very RPGish.
Day/Night Cycles: Many of you questioned the reason why the cycles followed a strange pattern early on, i.e. D0, N0, N1, D1, etc. The reason for N1 immediately followed N0 was due to the original idea of the mass lynch-pin set up, so that players would be encouraged to discuss who to lynch during the NOC phase in public rather in private. The bonuses of the days were added since the theme was Persona and you can’t have Persona without a “weather”-like concept involved. Nights were meant to be set-ups while days were to involve intense exchanges. Thus the reason why Fusions only happened during night cycles and Persona purchases were day only.
Fusion: This is where things got a little tough and why earlygame there was a lot of confusion pertaining fusion results, mostly due to something huge that I overlooked. Now remember that fusion chart that I linked in the topic of the chat early on? Originally when I looked at the chart, I just skimmed it without putting too much thought into it and thought the whole chart showed how fusions happened. If I was a little smarter I would’ve looked at my Persona 3:FES handbook, but I didn’t and so I didn’t see that in fine print in the legend that orange colored fusions were as a result of Triangle fusions. Had I seen that, I am quite sure that there wouldn’t have been as much hassle over how fusions would work out. If you look at the spreadsheet (which I provided in a link a little further down), you will notice that in the Legend Tab it discusses how Persona fusions are worked out. So pretty much the reason some people were disappointed over their fusion result was due to how I originally read the chart. Yeah, I feel a bit foolish admitting it, but it’s true.
Win Conditions: Win conditions, as I noted, went through intense scrutiny by yours truly, but when I came across a mental block, I just couldn’t get over it and my imagination failed to give me a good idea about how to write them up. As such, I slopilly created the win conditions you saw ingame.

Persona Mafia collection:
Persona Mafia Folder
The Game Thread

The players: at a glance

Since the game was Expert, I had a better chance at getting a strong playerlist, and this one, no doubt, was strong.

Role PMs

Dear Fatecrashers,
You are of the Fool Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Orpheus - (Fool)
Atk: 2
Def: 2
Spd: 3

Abilities:
Bash - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Bash <USER>”. You will use your Atk stat to deal damage to <USER>. The following cycle, your Def will decrease by 1 point.

You know the Lovers Arcana. The Lovers Arcana is Ditto. You win if the Devil and Fortune Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

I think this was the first time Fate actually played one of my games, so I was pretty thrilled to have him on board. I knew he was a quality player so he was one of my top picks. I chose to put him together with Ditto because I figured that the two of them would be able to do some crazy antics with one another due to the good sense of humor each of them had. The Fool Arcana was one of the two powerhouse arcanas that was strong early on in terms of stats, but had a lack of many abilities.

__

Dear theangryscientist,
You are of the Magician Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Nekomata - (Magician)
Atk: 0
Def: 1
Spd: 2

Abilities:
Agi - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Agi <USER>”. You will deal 2 Fire damage to <USER>. The following cycle, you will be weak to Electricity.

You know the Hierophant Arcana. The Hierophant Arcana is Lightwolf. You win if the Priestess and Moon Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

theangryscientist has played every game I ever hosted, and as such I felt he was a good pick for this game. He did fairly good early on, however people targetted him early ala Underground Mafia, and as such poor tas died too early to see any good action. However, the fact that the two had a few issues with timezones and tas being busy early-game meant that they had a little harder time in coordinating actions with one another. The Magician Arcana was meant to be weak defensively but strong offensively with good damage dealing abilities and okay speed.

__

Dear Ace Emerald,
You are of the Priestess Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Asparsas - (Priestess)
Atk: 1

Abilities:
Sukunda - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Sukunda <USER>”. <USER>’s Spd stat will decrease by one point for the duration of three cycles.

You know the Justice Arcana. The Justice Arcana is porygon3. You win if the Lovers and Moon Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

Ace Emerald wasn’t one of my first picks due to the amount of strong players that originally joined the game, but I put him in because I remembered that he did a good job in many games in the past. I don’t recall talking to him too much about the game, so I wouldn’t know if there were any good moves that he made during the game. The Priestess arcana was meant to be take the role of bard duty - boosting defenses and making sure that other players had a harder time dealing with anyone allied with the Priestess.

__

Dear Flamestrike,
You are of the Empress Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Leanan Sidhe - (Empress)
Def: 0

Abilities:
Dia - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Dia <USER>”. <USER> will be healed by 2 HP.
Bufu - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Bufu <USER>”. You will deal 2 Ice damage to <USER>. The following cycle, you will be weak to Fire.

You know the Tower Arcana. The Tower Arcana is imperfectluck. You win if the Lovers and Judgement Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

Flamestrike was another one of the originals who played in all of my games. Flamestrike was a good player who knew how my games usually worked, and as such he was one of my first picks. I put together with imperfectluck because I thought that ipl would need a strong partner in order to stay alive long enough in this game (more on ipl later 9.9). The Empress arcana was meant to be a hybrid role - providing healing and damage at the same time. Leanan Sidhe was such a popular choice that about one-third of the players in the game chose the arcana, due to its strong flexibility.

__

Dear askaninjask,
You are of the Emperor Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Forneus - (Emperor)
Spd: 1

Abilities:
Zio - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Zio <USER>”. You will deal 2 Elec damage to <USER>. The following cycle, you will be weak to Ice.

You know the Strength Arcana. The Strength Arcana is little gk. You win if the Death and Hierophant Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

I think the last time aska was in any of my games was in FF3, and so having him come back was really nice. I put him together with little gk since I knew they both hung out a lot in #moo a lot with Johann, so I thought, “Hey, they would be pretty decent partners!” Unfortunately, the two weren’t able to establish themselves early on too well due to both being out and about doing they’re own irl stuff. So there wasn’t much they could do against B_T’s crew. The Emperor arcana was meant to be a strong offensive role with good defenses and low speed.

__

Dear LightWolf,
You are of the Hierophant Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Omoikane - (Hierophant)

Abilities:
Dia - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Dia <USER>”. <USER> will be healed by 2 HP.
Auto-Rakukaja - Passive - Your Def stat is increased by one point.

You know the Magician Arcana. The Magician Arcana is theangryscientist. You win if the Tower and Star Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

Having Lightwolf on board was another great thing about the playerlist. I gave Lightwolf a strong supporting role in tandem with tas’s fragility. He played pretty well, staying active and even attempting to guess what Personas would result from fusions (of which I think he got only one - Satan, lol). The Hierophant arcana was an all-over-the-place arcana, having no specific goal in terms of abilities.

__

Dear Ditto,
You are of the Lovers Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Pixie - (Lovers)

Abilities:
Media - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Media <USER1> and <USER2>”. <USER1> and <USER2> will be healed by 2 HP.

You know the Fool Arcana. The Fool Arcana is Fatecrashers. You win if the Hanged Man and Strength Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

/me huggles Ditto. Yep, I put Ditto in the Lovers arcana for a reason. ;D In any event, Ditto was paired up with Fatecrashers for reasons I mentioned earlier. Due to the fragility of the Lovers arcana, he was meant to support Fate, while Fate would bring in the beatdown. Ditto, however, managed to get strong fusion combinations buy purchasing Yatagarasu and Nekomata, which resulted in him obtaining Byakko late game (and thanks to the number of offensive abilities he gathered, he could’ve potentially dealt 15 damage alone (which is one of the reasons I called game early). The Lovers Arcana was meant to be a defensive clerical role, having strong healing abilities and providing strong support.

__

Dear Blue_Tornado,
You are of the Chariot Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Ara Mitama - (Chariot)
Atk: 3(+1)
Spd: 0

Abilities:
Auto-Tarukaja - Passive - Your Atk stat is increased by one point.

You know the Sun Arcana. The Sun Arcana is Paperblade. You win if the Emperor and Empress Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

The leader of #thebowl alliance. He and Paperblade managed to gather a rag-tag group of people and managed to get every one of them to win as well. I remember him doing something similar in FFV, and so it was fun to watch him gather a good roster of people around him. I also gave him the Chariot because I figured he would like a heavy-hitting role early which would provide him with a strong lynch early game. Lynches were moot point, sadly, and as such there really was no point to the role except for fusion experimenting. The Chariot was meant to be a strong offensively with the final fusion, Thor sitting at one of the highest attack stats in the game. Combined with Vorpal Blade, this role would be a wrecking ball, taking out players one by one.

__

Dear porygon3,
You are of the Justice Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Angel - (Justice)

Abilities:
Sukukaja - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Sukukaja <USER>”. <USER>’s Spd stat will increase by one point for the duration of two cycles.
Marin Karin - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Marin Karin <USER1> to <USER2>”. <USER1> will be afflicted with the status effect, Charm. <USER1> will be redirected to <USER2> the following cycle.

You know the Priestess Arcana. The Priestess Arcana is Ace Emerald. You win if the Star and Charioit Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

p3 played very well during this game, and as such I was sad to see him lose. Alas, my idiotic changes to the win conditions created such an environment where good players failed even when they did a great job in-game. The Justice Arcana was meant to be a poke role with versatility such as Marin Karin and Provoke.

__

Dear Da Letter El,
You are of the Hermit Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Yomotsu Shikome - (Hermit)
Spd: 2(+1)

Abilities:
Oracle - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Oracle Message”. In your PM, you may include a message of a maximum length of 300 characters. You may also include one and only one question in your message. This question will be answered with a yes or no in the update.
Auto-Sukukaja - Passive - Your Spd stat is increased by one point.

You do not have a partner like the others; however, you may at any point in the game, summon a second Persona for the duration of ONE overall collective cycle (3 days & 1 night). Summoning this second Persona will allow you to use all of its abilities in addition to your current Persona. Stats from said Persona are stacked in addition to the stats of your current Persona (however Spd maxes out at 5). Since you are also alone, you are not required to obtain the “Growth” ability in order to use your current Persona during the Dark Hour, however you are restricted to using only one ability (unless you obtain “Growth”). In order for you to win, you must survive and keep at least three partnerships alive until Night 5.

The impossible win condition. Due to my original thoughts on this game, I was under the impression things would be over by around Night 5. Unfortunately I misjudged how fast this game would be and as such this win condition became impossible. Probably would’ve been better off making it two partnerships and Night 3, but even then the game went by too fast. The Hermit Arcana was another jack-of-all trades role with high speed to make sure that its priority was always above others.

__

Dear Aura Guardian,
You are of the Fortune Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Fortuna - (Fortune)

Abilities:
Analysis - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Analysis <USER>”. You will check what Persona <USER> is currently using.

You know the Death Arcana. The Death Arcana is ginganinja. You win if the Fool and Temperance Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

If I recall correctly, I gave Aura Guardian the Fortuna role because he said he enjoyed playing information roles in the Mafia social group. Aura Guardian was another player who did a fair job at staying involved in the game. He made sure he covered his bases when it came to fusions and purchases, and he was fairly inquisitive about the game. The Fortune Arcana was hugely an information role with fair defenses.

__

Dear little gk,
You are of the Strength Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Valkyrie - (Strength)

Abilities:
Media - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Media <USER1> and <USER2>”. <USER1> and <USER2> will be healed by 2 HP.

You know the Emperor Arcana. The Emperor Arcana is askaninjask. You win if the Empress and Devil Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

little gk played in FFIII and FFV, so having him come back to play in Persona Mafia was a treat. I paired him up with askaninjask for reasons I already stated above. He was fairly uninvolved early on in the game, so when the game actually began to roll, he was a little behind. Strength Arcana was meant to be a bulky, yet heavy hitter.

__

Dear HD,
You are of the Hanged Man Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Inugami - (Hanged Man)

Abilities:
Auto-Tarukaja - Passive - Your Atk stat is increased by one point.
Growth - Passive - This Persona can use its abilities during the Dark Hour.

You know the Moon Arcana. The Moon Arcana is Altair. You win if the Priestess and Judgement Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

So yeah, HD’s birthday was around the time I put up postgame, so this game was like, 10% dedicated to that. Anyways, I paired HD up with Altair because the two had done stuff in FFIII together iirc, so I thought it would be cool to see them work together this time. HD and Altair did a fair job, although HD managed to die before he could win...Anyways, the Hanged Man Arcana was meant to be a frail, but fast damage dealer.

__

Dear ginganinja,
You are of the Death Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Loa - (Death)

Abilities:
Life Drain - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Life Drain <USER>”. You will syphon 1 HP from <USER> to yourself. This circumvents whatever Def <USER> has.
Pulinpa - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Pulinpa <USER>”. <USER> will be afflicted with the status effect, Panic. Whoever inspects them the following cycle will receive fake Persona information.

You know the Fortune Arcana. The Fortune Arcana is Aura Guardian. You win if the Magician and Sun Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

ginganinja was another fun addition, bringing in his Susan Coffeyness to the game. Unfortunately, he and Aura Guardian got the short end of the stick when it came to the win conditions, since Blue_Tornado’s team was able to get the upper hand. ginganinja did do a fine job playing, staying quite actively involved in the game, so to see him lose didn’t feel right. The Death Arcana was purely a preventative arcana, having abilities such as Pulinpa, Evil Smile, and Bewilder in its roster.

__

Dear Layell,
You are of the Temperance Arcana.
You have 4(+2) Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Nigi Mitama - (Temperance)
Def: 3

Abilities:
Invigorate 2 - Passive - Your base HP is increased by two points.

You know the Star Arcana. The Star Arcana is Crux. You win if the Strength and Tower Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

Layell’s decent performance in Underground Mafia in coupled with his activity meant he was another great pick for this game. I put him with Crux because I thought that Crux’s experience would be able to bring something strong to the table for their partnership. Unfortunately, because Crux dropped out, I had to sub kingofkongs in instead. The two of them did a fine job, managing to make friends with the #thebowl alliance and were able to win - even with the fact that the two of them were revealed, publicly, to be partners. The Temperance arcana was meant to be a bulky attacker, with abilities such as Invigorate 2, Endure, and Vorpal Blade.

__

Dear RaRe555,
You are of the Devil Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Lilim - (Devil)

Abilities:
Elec Boost - Passive - Your elec abilities deal one more point of damage.
Resist Ice - Passive - Whenever you use an Elec ability, you no longer have a weakness to Ice.

You know the Judgement Arcana. The Judgement Arcana is Agape. You win if the Temperance and Sun Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

RaRe555 was replaced by Walrein fairly early on, due to some irl stuff that rare had going on. Anyways, Walrein was able to barely keep up with the game due to him being busy with LoL and other unexplained things (fapping maybe? anyone?). He didn’t even know that you could purchase Personas in order to fuse (he was under the impression that you fused with your partner...lol). Anyways, the Devil arcana was another elemental attacking arcana, but with fair defense (Lilim was the suckiest out of the three to be honest though...).
__

Dear imperfectluck,
You are of the Tower Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Bishamonten - (Tower)

Abilities:
Endure - Passive - Once during the game, if your HP drops below 0, you will not die. Instead, your HP will be reset to 1 HP.

You know the Empress Arcana. The Empress Arcana is Flamestrike. You win if the Chariot and Justice Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

Poor imperfectluck. He always ends up dying too early in many games because people are scared of him. He didn’t even do much this time around!! However, one thing I would like to note is that we made a minor error midgame, and he wasn’t supposed to die the cycle that he did, (Daenym forgot what Endure did...Daenymsux). Nevertheless, I think even if he didn’t die, the game would’ve ended close to the time that it did. Anyways, the Tower Arcana was a purely defensive role, having Endure, Regenerate, and even both Invigorates.
__

Dear Crux,
You are of the Star Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Nandi - (Star)

Abilities:
Bufala - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Bufala <USER>”. <USER> will be afflicted with the status effect, Freeze. <USER> will be unable to communicate outside of the thread during the following cycle.

You know the Temperance Arcana. The Temperance Arcana is Layell. You win if the Fortune and Hanged Man Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

As I mentioned earlier, the initial roster for this game was amazingly strong with a tight group of good mafia players. Crux was no exception, however, due to circumstances unseen, Crux had to sub out of the game early on. I had kingofkongs take over for Crux, and he did a great job working with Layell to capture that win. The Star Arcana was mainly a non-offensive role with preventative abilities and great passives, along with high speed.

__

Dear Altair,
You are of the Moon Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Gurr - (Moon)

Abilities:
Bash - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Bash <USER>”. You will use your Atk stat to deal damage to <USER>. The following cycle, your Def will decrease by 1 point.

You know the Hanged Man Arcana. The Hanged Man Arcana is HD. You win if the Emperor and Justice Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

Perhaps one of the only players whose partner died but still managed to win, all in the same cycle. Altair and HD worked together well, but due to HD being targetted by #thebowl alliance, HD wasn’t able to win. The Moon arcana was primarily an offensive role, with both elemental and normal attacks.

__

Dear Paperblade,
You are of the Sun Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Yatagarasu - (Sun)
Spd: 4

Abilities:
Full Analysis - Aggressive - You may PM Acklow and Jumpluff, “Cycle X - Full Analysis <USER>”. You will check <USER>’s Role PM, receiving all information about <USER>, including current Persona and inactive Personas <USER> has.
Growth - Passive - This Persona can use its abilities during the Dark Hour.

You know the Chariot Arcana. The Chariot Arcana is Blue Tornado. You win if the Magician and Hierophant Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

One of the stronger earlygame roles, Paperblade’s role was perhaps one of the best received ones for #thebowl alliance, due to the fact that he had Full Analysis early on. By working together with B_T and the rest of #thebowl, they were able to clinch victory. The Sun Arcana was primarily an information gathering arcana (that had the highest speed in the game), with the exception of the final fusion

__

Dear Agape,
You are of the Judgement Arcana.
You have 4 Base HP.
Your current Persona is:

Anubis - (Judgement)
Def: 4

Abilities:
Regenerate - Passive - Every cycle, you will be healed by 1 HP.
Unshaken Will - Passive - You are immune to all status effects with the exception of Poison.

You know the Devil Arcana. The Devil Arcana is RaRe555. You win if the Death and Fool Arcanas lose and your partner wins.

Agape never was in any of my games before, so it was interesting to have him join in. He was fairly inquisitive, and remained fairly active until his death. The Judgement Arcana was one of the most defensive arcanas, having a high defense, great defensive passives, and the only unique fusion in the game - Messiah, which could only be obtained by fusing Orpheus and Thanatos.

Things that could be changed/worked on

Win Conditions: Enemies could be mutual between partners. That is one thing that would’ve made more sense. If your partner died, you should have also been able to keep playing, just having the responsibility of taking out your partner’s enemies as well.
OR
Carry over the idea I originally had and build it up so that it would actually make sense.

Higher Base HP or Def: Personas needed more Def and players should have started with at least 6 base HP if not 8 base HP, so that players would have more survivability, not to mention, increasing the length of the game (which is a good thing in this case due to the fact that the game ran for such a short time).

Abilities: The stat boosters, particularily the Def stat booster should’ve been more effective. Abilities that prevented other abilities from happening, such as hooks (or a BG like ability or SG like ability), would have been worth adding in. There was a huge number of offensive abilities which meant that players would die too quickly. A decrease in that amount would’ve been good as well.

Fusions and Purchasing: Fusions should’ve been based on the normal fusion portion of the chart, not including the triangle fusion portion. This would’ve eliminated a bit of randomness and added more reliability and would have given players the ability to plan better. Night cycles could’ve happened once every 2 days instead of 3 so that players could fuse more often. This would’ve worked with Purchasing much better, since players would be able to purchase 2 Personas, max out their Persona count, then follow up with a fusion the following cycle.

NOC: The NOC portion could’ve been eliminated as well, unless win conditions followed what I originally planned.

A strong cohost: Boy do I love the word strong right now. A cohost who is capable of organizing things in their spare time would’ve been very helpful. The cohost didn’t need to do updates, basically do what Daenym did, but put a little more devotion into it, so that if either host went AWOL, the other would be able to keep up. Unfortunately, I was at fault this time myself, but there are things you can’t control IRL, so I can’t blame myself (for going AWOL that is), Daenym, or even jumpluff for that matter on how the game went.

Patience on my part: This would’ve been more productive, and would’ve made the game much more enjoyable for everyone else, as it was because I wanted to get this game going that things sort of ended the way that they did. I hate being a Debbie downer, but really, this game sucked compared to the others I have hosted in the past (Underground being my best, FFV being a clustefuck yet bearable, and FFIII being my newb hosting game).

And many more things I may or may not have missed.

Awards and stuff:

MVP: Blue_Tornado
Best Luck: Altair
Worst Luck: imperfectluck (oh the irony of a username)
Best Play: Killing HD
Worst Play: Walrein not buying Personas and fusing (sorry this wasn’t expanded bro, not entirely your fault)
Best Partnership: Tie between B_T/Paperblade and Fatecrashers/Ditto
Cutest User: Ditto

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ace Emerald wasn’t one of my first picks due to the amount of strong players that originally joined the game, but I put him in because I remembered that he did a good job in many games in the past. I don’t recall talking to him too much about the game, so I wouldn’t know if there were any good moves that he made during the game. The Priestess arcana was meant to be take the role of bard duty - boosting defenses and making sure that other players had a harder time dealing with anyone allied with the Priestess.
Yay I'm starting to get some name cred :D Sorry Acklow, I forgot to send in logs and stuff. Personally, I thought I hit about par, I didn't really screw anything up, but I didn't make any great plays. I had an idea of who my enemies were, though I wasn't sure if Ditto or Walrein was the Lovers arcana. I don't know if you ment this, but after I got Mind Charge, I was much less of a bard and much more a hard hitter. Anyways, I had fun, despite the structural flaws of the game, and hopefully I'll be let into the next Acklow game aw well!
btw shoutout to p3, rocking partner. We were crushing it B)

Yeah, non-mutual enemies really fucked with my early-game plans, as almost every single person that I almost got an alliance with ended up either needing me or IPL dead or being one of our targets >.> This was particularly hilarious when Paperblade and I convinced each other that we were clean only to have Paper say his partner was Chariot (which he wasn't even lying about), making me utterly confused. Did you guys know I was Empress by that point or did you actually think I could win with you? Anyway, good job to the winners, assembling any kind of an alliance in this game must have been difficult (though I suppose having Full Analysis helped...) and special congrats to Altair, the one person who I could have actually (and seemingly would have were it not for my untimely death >.>) allied with!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The fact that kok and I won while everyone knew one of us had the question asker was some sort of miracle.

I'm still of the opinion that the best play is the endgame maneuver we pulled. We set up a solid alliance with all of our inspects and questions, the fact we made a way for us all to win and not step on each others toes was a miracle. KoK and I got worried at some points that somebody in the alliance would lose and such. Having to kill people because they were close to winning and their winning would result in one of us losing wasn't fun.

Analysis is really really useful, especially before the 2nd round of fusions since you can pseudo clean people based on their persona fusion result.

I mentioned this in the chat but I think this is a game that could be played a 2nd time, just change the WC and maybe some stats. Not knowing the persona's was annoying anyways, if we all know it can only lead to better strategies.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Go explain that Night 1 please, you said you would, at this point I don't see it as anything but a clear boost to anyone with growth.

Also who ever targeted tas the day he died could list what he was hit with? I wanna know what could kill tas who had 4 health 5 def and a 4 Hp heal incomming at the speed of 1.

Also the list of every ability, and every possible fusion.

I don't have the list, but I believe I added another 2dmg when he had 8+.

Speed doesn't matter as long as he was targeted by enough stuff at the same speed.

Although, if he was attacked, healed, then attacked, and he died, it means that the heal didn't 'heal' the damage buffered by his defense points. As in, healing only healed hp.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The fact that kok and I won while everyone knew one of us had the question asker was some sort of miracle.
Just pointing out that we found out that you had like 4 Def, doubled healing, and would heal about 4 HP per round so "killing you" was a bitch and I would not really consider it a "miracle" that you survived.

I am with flamestrike in that non neutral enemies screwed everything up. My persona was not bad at outlasting and healing shit off, however "outlasting" didn't really work when you would lose faster than Underground which sucked. For this reason (and the fact that many of the losses were outside of other players control, I didn't enjoy this game quite as much as I could have. Oh well.

Thanks to AG for being a good partner man, we had some good chats.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You missed my point, I was saying that he was built like a wall, and had an alliance with him which prevented him being ganged up on. It was hardly a "miracle" he won.

Regardless, having access to a full Persona inspector with Growth (did anyone else have that combo early on?) was one of the main reasons, the alliance was so successful, but w/e.

Anyway grats to everyone who won :)

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't have the list, but I believe I added another 2dmg when he had 8+.

Speed doesn't matter as long as he was targeted by enough stuff at the same speed.

Although, if he was attacked, healed, then attacked, and he died, it means that the heal didn't 'heal' the damage buffered by his defense points. As in, healing only healed hp.
I added the speed of my healing for the case that he either suffered true damage at higher speed, or he was being finished off at the speed of 1. The heal could easily effect things, and easily fuck up any killing if at the right speed, saying heal is useless when people gang up on you is simply not true. It actually is the best in that kind of situation, since it's the only thing that can save someone being ganged up on. Endure is the only other ability to repicate that effect.

Another thing that fucked up this game were the randomness of Persona, most people didn't realise how each Arcana worked, so some ended up being fucked over by the end result (Mind Charge on offensiveless Titania GG). The specific attributes of each Arcana should have been disclosed, at least stating whether they are Support, Defensive or Offensive or a combination.

Also removing the Triangle fusion list would have been stupid, I checked and there exists no way to fuse a Judgement Arcana outside of fusing two of them outside the triangle list. It didn't really add any randomness tbh, most could expect that if there are two options, you will only be able to fuse the normal one not the triangle.

Another problem is that Persona with good stats are broken. Most of those don't come with good abilities, but just due to the fact that Magic is not a stat means they can easily use the elemental spells and healing if fused on to them due to the set power of those.(My exact plan for TAS, fusing Mind Charge and Mabufu+Agi onto either Siegfried or Thor (not to mention Thor might have Ziodyne)). Sure this never happened (mostly because tas got destroyed) but would have been a legit issue if the game ever reached Tier 3(ergo Night 3)

Regardless, having access to a full Persona inspector with Growth (did anyone else have that combo early on?) was one of the main reasons, the alliance was so successful, but w/e.
Not denying this, although most of our inspects were on enemies. We worked out all the other wcs and found allies (or rather, found allies and worked out wcs) the old fashioned way.
I added the speed of my healing for the case that he either suffered true damage at higher speed, or he was being finished off at the speed of 1. The heal could easily effect things, and easily fuck up any killing if at the right speed, saying heal is useless when people gang up on you is simply not true. It actually is the best in that kind of situation, since it's the only thing that can save someone being ganged up on. Endure is the only other ability to repicate that effect.
Most people had more than 1 speed. I'm pretty sure everyone who attacked him had 2 speed at the least. Actually, a lot of the 'heavy' healers had 1 speed, which goes to show you how effective they ended up being, since they could only heal after most/all of the damage had been done, and you can't heal someone with negative hp.

I wasn't saying healing was useless, but more that it wasn't as useful as it was intended to be. Especially if they, in fact, healed hp and hp only.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
My game:

I get role PM.

I think "how the hell am i supposed to win with this"

I realize I need to protect people, so I do some research and find out what a likely persona to protect would be (Lovers), so i get empress to get there.

I claim to flamestrike because flamestrike is cool.

Flamestrike dies pretty early which makes me sad.

Ipl is like "hi i was flamestrike's partner"

Ipl seems in control of the game from my talking to him and makes me feel as though he will wreck partnerships.

I stab ipl and tell p3 that ipl needs him dead.

I want to work with p3 but he literally vanishes the cycle after.

I have no contacts and very little chance of winning and my care kind of waned. Sorry.

Interesting role idea, though; I really did appreciate playing in this game.

Did you guys know I was Empress by that point or did you actually think I could win with you?
We didn't, BT actually intended to ally with you guys when he got online. Due to my N0 inspect we assumed the people listed as your enemies were partners, and when it turned out oops they weren't and my win condition was just special it kind of threw a wrench in that idea.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Go explain that Night 1 please, you said you would, at this point I don't see it as anything but a clear boost to anyone with growth.

Also who ever targeted tas the day he died could list what he was hit with? I wanna know what could kill tas who had 4 health 5 def and a 4 Hp heal incomming at the speed of 1.

Also the list of every ability, and every possible fusion.

The reason for N1 immediately followed N0 was due to the original idea of the mass lynch-pin set up, so that players would be encouraged to discuss who to lynch during the NOC phase in public rather in private.

Spreadsheet.

I was sure that it was included in the link to the Persona folder. I made it so anyone with the link should be able to access it. If that didn't work, I'll just relink all the rest of the files.

As for removing triangle fusions, I could have gone the other way as well and removed normal fusions in favor of triangle fusions to create more options. That could have made more sense, theoretically.

RaRe555 was replaced by Walrein fairly early on, due to some irl stuff that rare had going on. Anyways, Walrein was able to barely keep up with the game due to him being busy with LoL and other unexplained things (fapping maybe? anyone?). He didn’t even know that you could purchase Personas in order to fuse (he was under the impression that you fused with your partner...lol). Anyways, the Devil arcana was another elemental attacking arcana, but with fair defense (Lilim was the suckiest out of the three to be honest though...).
I think now would be a good time to use this:

As I demonstrated above, healing really turned out to be 'not so good' when people ganged up on you anyway. And ganging up on someone was a necessity for bypassing defense.
Actually, it is. As my survival to the second day of fusing demostrated. Have a decent defense so that when you get attacked ~4 times, you'll live at one HP, and then heal up the next few cycles - this was crucial to my survival until the game was called.
So, Fatecrashers, Ditto, and Porygon3 were why I was reduced to 1 HP the day after the first fusion... Interesting

This game had so much RPG elements it could perhaps be remade into a full RPG-esque tactical game. It was much fun, I guessed that Messiah would be an unique fusion but died before thinking about it too much. Oh well...

Thanks for hosting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)