Philip7086's Round 3 QC Assignments (Snorlax, Suicune, Swampert, Raikou, and Shaymin)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm sure Phil is the last person that needs to be informed of Sceptile's usefulness in OU.

Hint: Listen to the Smogcast :3
Oh lulz.

Sceptile used to be pretty underrated. And Philip's a mod. I want to slap myself with a trout now.

Anyways, looking again at the QC, I'm theorymoning Substitute on offensive Snorlax to ease prediction against Will-o-wisp Rotom-A, Trick threats, and comfortably 2HKO threats while its sub is trying to be broken. Since Snorlax just eats special attacks, he has plenty of opportunities to sub.

It's also worth noting on Choice Band Swampert, it can employ Avalanche simply because it's so slow, and the difference between Ice punch and unboosted Avalanche is negligible due to hitting only certain parties of threats (Celebi grass knots, and Salamence and Dragonite and Flygon are only three popular guys noteworthly of forcing Ice-type moves).

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Avalanche doesn't get powered up on the switch, only when Swampert gets hit, and it also has negative priority, which really hurts it since it can actually get roared before it can Avalanche.

I'm never a fan of Avalanche / Revenge on those kind of sets, so eh...

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 192 HP/100 Def/216 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---

Stats at Level 100:
369 HP / 185 Atk / 211 Def / 266 SpA / 236 SpD / 352 Spe

THIS IS NOT A JOKE:

-Being walled by grounds on the surface seems like it sucks, but this set is more of a defensive pokemon. RestTalk Raikou walls nearly every special attacker in the game, and the physical defense makes him not fear Tyranitar at all (Choice Band Stone Edge doesn't even guarentee OHKO).

Bottom line is, this emphasizes several things for Raikou
-Not caring about Blissey
-100% counter to Suicune (constantly hear people bitching about it), and 100% safe switch into Rotom (have you fond one yet?) all the time.
-abuses Pressure hard
-Late game win condition (keep him alive and you win)
-Walls: Jirachi (CM, physical, Scarf, watever), Magnezone, Jolteon, Rotom, all Bulky Waters, Celebi, etc.
-can still revenge things with high speed like Gengar, Infernape, Mence

-excellent partner to any hard hitting levitator (Gliscor = free Mence Switch in!)
-T-Bolt / HP Ice Zapdos is an excellent partner for this

-best suited for Balance or Semi-stall teams

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 192 HP/100 Def/216 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---

Stats at Level 100:
369 HP / 185 Atk / 211 Def / 266 SpA / 236 SpD / 352 Spe

THIS IS NOT A JOKE:

-Being walled by grounds on the surface seems like it sucks, but this set is more of a defensive pokemon. RestTalk Raikou walls nearly every special attacker in the game, and the physical defense makes him not fear Tyranitar at all (Choice Band Stone Edge doesn't even guarentee OHKO).

Bottom line is, this emphasizes several things for Raikou
-Not caring about Blissey
-100% counter to Suicune (constantly hear people bitching about it), and 100% safe switch into Rotom (have you fond one yet?) all the time.
-abuses Pressure hard
-Late game win condition (keep him alive and you win)
-Walls: Jirachi (CM, physical, Scarf, watever), Magnezone, Jolteon, Rotom, all Bulky Waters, Celebi, etc.
-can still revenge things with high speed like Gengar, Infernape, Mence

-excellent partner to any hard hitting levitator (Gliscor = free Mence Switch in!)
-T-Bolt / HP Ice Zapdos is an excellent partner for this

-best suited for Balance or Semi-stall teams
Ive used this set before and i find Roar works over the Calm Mind slot. Infract yeah, STalker Kou definately needs adding its really useful actually.

Ive actually had players swear with frustration about how annoying it is and i know MANY players have used the set before too.

Before i start entry hazards make this set tick so they should be emphasized above all.

252 HP / 120 S.DEF / 136 speed @ Timid is the spread i use basically. Roar/Sleep Talk/Bolt/Rest with mentions of Hidden Powers (grounds), Shadow Ball (Rotoms and Gengar) and Toxic (great to abuse with Pressure) in set comments though without Roar it loses its effectiveness in Phazing shit like CM Rachi. Ev spread Outspeeds +base 100's basically and rest are allocated for tanking over special threats.

Raikou is a mediocre user of Roar. Why Roar when anything with stat up moves (mainly Calm Mind is the only one you can attempt to Roar) you can just set up with Calm Mind yourself and outstall easily? Calm Mind Jirachi? Psychic versions will get easily pressure stalled if you just Calm Mind up with it. Flash Cannon versions have absolutely no chance. Suicune? you can try Roaring on a +1 Surf and take heavy damage, or you can just set up with Cune and easily beat it weather it stays in or not. Also, Raikou needs to outspeed Infernape and Gengar since at +1 it easily beats them.

Raikou is a mediocre user of Roar. Why Roar when anything with stat up moves (mainly Calm Mind is the only one you can attempt to Roar) you can just set up with Calm Mind yourself and outstall easily? Calm Mind Jirachi? Psychic versions will get easily pressure stalled if you just Calm Mind up with it. Flash Cannon versions have absolutely no chance. Suicune? you can try Roaring on a +1 Surf and take heavy damage, or you can just set up with Cune and easily beat it weather it stays in or not. Also, Raikou needs to outspeed Infernape and Gengar since at +1 it easily beats them.
I wasnt actually trying to compare Roar and CM as they play differently, although it might of looked that way due to my wording. I was just saying that Roar DOES work really well on (semi) stall teams with hazards and actually beats most ground types and amongst others which include some of its biggest checks with hazards up by shuffling alone. You vastly underestimate Roars utility.

Not to mention you avoid most of those attacks you say it'll take when Resting with the priority modifier Roar has when selected by Sleep Talk. This is one of the biggest reason to use Raikou over other phazers, its speed phazing. That combined with its bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)