Physical Hidden Power

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Hollywood

When looking up a Pokemon's moveset, people usually mention Hidden Power. This is because a) the Pokemon's movepool isn't as wide as one would have hoped, and b) Hidden Power can literally be any type in the game except Normal and Fairy, providing immense coverage potential. However, when looking at Pokemon with Hidden Power in their competitive movesets, all of them are either special or mixed attackers, since Hidden Power is only a special attack. But what about the physical attackers of the tier that need coverage but have terrible Special Attack? Well, this is the tier that will fix that.
In Physical Hidden Power, we will have the physical version of Hidden Power, called Hidden Force (borrowing the name from Unfixable's Justification, please don't sue me), be added to everyone's movepool. Hidden Force will have the exact PP, Accuracy, and power as Hidden Power, and will be available to every Pokemon that gets Hidden Power. This way, physical attackers get to enjoy some extra coverage. Here are some examples of Pokemon that will have some much needed coverage options thanks to Hidden Force:

Scizor will appreciate having Hidden Force Rock to hit Talonflame, or Hidden Force Ground to hit Heatran.

Talonflame can run Hidden Force Fighting to hit Tyranitar hard.

Mega Gyarados can take on Azumarill and Keldeo with Hidden Force Grass or Electric.

Also, both Hidden Power and Hidden Force will be at 70 BP, so if you want Technician powering up Hidden Power/Force, it will require the right combination of IVs again.

For reference:

Hidden Force, Normal-type, physical, makes contact, 70 BP, 24 PP, 100 accuracy

Last edited:
Wow ok steal the name ;;; I'm suing

jk :>. Anyways, Hidden Force Mega Gyarados with Grass as the typing sounds scary, as does Flying because it hits Mega Venusaur!

Cool Meta, seriously!
To make an example of this, you can run a Fearsome Unown Set!

Unown@Choice Scarf/Focus Sash
Serious Nature
252 Atk / 252 SpA
Ability: Levitate
- Hidden Power Ghost / Fighting
- Hidden Force Ghost / Fighting

Tremble in terror!

Now, speaking seriously, many Phys Attackers like Haxorus, flareon, and maybe Tyranitar will DEFINITELY enjoy it, and HP boost to 70 is certainly to menction, too

Entei can use HF Ground to hit Heatran

Slurpuff can use HF Ground, Dark, or Ghost along side Fairy STAB and Return for decent coverage on Belly Drum Unburden.

BTW does Hidden Force make contact?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow ok steal the name ;;; I'm suing

jk :>. Anyways, Hidden Force Mega Gyarados with Grass as the typing sounds scary, as does Flying because it hits Mega Venusaur!
The problem with this is that it can't hit everything it wants to with just 1 HF. Look at the following:
Fire: Ferrothorn (4x), Venusaur-Mega (2x), Azumarill (.5x)
Flying: Ferrothorn (1x), Venusaur-Mega (2x), Azumarill (1x)
Poison: Ferrothorn (0x), Venusaur-Mega (1x), Azumarill (2x)

Although Fire is very good, it unfortunately doesn't hit Azumarill :c

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem with this is that it can't hit everything it wants to with just 1 HF. Look at the following:
Fire: Ferrothorn (4x), Venusaur-Mega (1x), Azumarill (.5x)
Flying: Ferrothorn (1x), Venusaur-Mega (2x), Azumarill (1x)
Poison: Ferrothorn (0x), Venusaur-Mega (1x), Azumarill (2x)
It actually hits Mega Venusaur for Super Effective Damage as it has Mold Breaker.

Yes. Forgot to add that in. Good eye!
In that case Mega-Aerodactyl, Mega-Charizard-X, and Barbacle all get the Tough Claws boost. Probabably not a huge deal because they already have decent enough movepools, but the Rock types get more a reliable STAB move that isn't a big step down in power from Stone Miss.

Megados can just run ice fang to hit Ferrothorn and Venusaur (mold breaker), which leaves it free to run electric or grass for Azumarill and PONY

Also, physical boltbeam is more common than ever now!

Still, I see as pointless the boost to 70 bp to avoid Techs to get their HF for free, because all the relevant Technicians are Physical, and you can obtain 59 Power HF/HP just using the IVs spread you would use to get the full-powered HP and reduce SpA IVs to 28 / 29 / 30, amount which varies from type to type

Last edited:
Still, I see as pointless the boost to 70 bp to avoid Techs to get their HF for free, because all the relevant Technicians are Physical, and you can obtain 59 Power HF/HP just using the IVs spread you would use to get the full-powered HP and reduce SpA IVs to 28
In gen 6 they changed it so HP is always 60 bp.

This seems like a Pet Mod to me, but I don't decided things. :P
Thank god some Pokemon get some mediocre coverage in their movepool. (*cough* luxray *cough*)

Klinklang with a HF to cover all the types it previously couldn't with its terrible coverage. Fire would probably be the best option

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)