Physically Defensive Scrafty (QC 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

If I could only get something to burn (Scald)...

Name: Physically Defensive
Move 1: Drain Punch
Move 2: Dragon Tail
Move 3: Ice Punch/Crunch
Move 4: Substitute/Rest
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate/Shed Skin
Nature: Impish (+Def, -Spe)
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Combines Scrafty's good bulk with Intimidate to wall physicall hits.
  • Gives Scrafty more room for moves, so it can protect itself for status (Substitute).
  • Uses Dragon Tail to phaze, so it will appreciate hazards.
  • Drain Punch+ Crunch gives good coverage.
  • Has a really good surprise factor.
  • Max HP and Defense with Intimidate lets him take physicall hits better than some other physicall walls like Gligar.
  • Ice Punch hits Gligar and Flygon hard, while Crunch gives coverage against Psychic- and Ghost-Types.
  • Can force switches in physicall sweepers courtesy of Intimidate and phaze the switch away with Dragon Tail.
  • If using Rest, use Shed Skin instead, although Intimidate will be missed.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Can use Dragon Dance over Substitute or Dragon Tail in a bulky sweeper fashion, but it will need so many boosts to work effectively and it will lose some utility.
  • If you feel that it could be good, you could also use Bulk Up, giving you even more physicall bulk, but it has trouble as this set is a wall and it may need to do some switches. Also, it'll make it look like the original BU set.
  • You can use a more offensive spread with 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Atk if you want more power in your hits, although the less bulk will be appreciable.

[SUPERIORITY OF INTIMIDATE]
  • 252+ Machamp's DynamicPunch vs. 252/252+ Scrafty (before Intimidate) = 70% - 83%
  • 252+ Machamp's DynamicPunch vs. 252/252+ Scrafty (after Intimidate) = 46% - 55%
  • 252+ Heracross' Megahorn vs. 252/252+ Scrafty (before Intimidate) = 40% - 48%
  • 252+ Heracross' Megahorn vs. 252/252+ Scrafty (after Intimidate) = 27% - 32%
  • 252+ Heracross' Close Combat vs. 252/252+ Scrafty (before Intimidate) = 81% - 97%
  • 252+ Heracross' Close Combat vs. 252/252+ Scrafty (after Intimidate) = 55% - 65%
  • 252+ Mienshao's Hi Jump Kick vs. 252/252+ Scrafty (before Intimidate) = 88% - 100%
  • 252+ Mienshao's Hi Jump Kick vs. 252/252+ Scrafty (after Intimidate) = 59% - 70%

(Tell me if something is wrong and pass me the link of your calculator)

Rejected QC 1/3. Great, maybe I can start saying farewell to it...

tehy

Banned deucer.
Why not rest>Substitute with Shed Skin slashed?

Substitute is pretty out of place on a defensive pokemon, and Rest lets it beat status without losing health, rather gaining it

Also, what exactly does this beat? A small list would be nice

Why not rest>Substitute with Shed Skin slashed?

Substitute is pretty out of place on a defensive pokemon, and Rest lets it beat status without losing health, rather gaining it

Also, what exactly does this beat? A small list would be nice
I alredy put the Rest part, that was a good catch ;)
A list of what can it beat... OK, i'll put it in a few minutes

Two things:

Do the 4 extra EVs in speed rather than special defense to outspeed Scrafty that don't invest.
Suggest Ice Punch > Crunch to hit Flygon and Gligar very hard. Otherwise the best you can do to them is phaze them out.

Two things:

Do the 4 extra EVs in speed rather than special defense to outspeed Scrafty that don't invest.
Suggest Ice Punch > Crunch to hit Flygon and Gligar very hard. Otherwise the best you can do to them is phaze them out.
Check ;)
EDIT: Alredy tested, good results.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm pretty sure I'll end up rejecting this because I can't think of a single reason to use this set over any other physical wall (hell, you can even use physically defensive Arcanine if you really want Intimidate). Not only does it lack recovery and have a weakness to the most common physical attacking type in UU...

That said, you actually used correct formatting, so I'll give you a chance to tell me what exactly this set has over other physical walls.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up rejecting this because I can't think of a single reason to use this set over any other physical wall (hell, you can even use physically defensive Arcanine if you really want Intimidate). Not only does it lack recovery and have a weakness to the most common physical attacking type in UU...

That said, you actually used correct formatting, so I'll give you a chance to tell me what exactly this set has over other physical walls.
Appart from good special bulk (shared by Registeel, but this one has no really ofensive potential), depends on which ability it has:
  • If you choose Intimidate, posibility to scare away physical attackers and use Dragon Tail to put even more resudial damage in the opponent's team.
  • If you choose Shed Skin instead (with Rest, of course), chances or recovering status while a semi-reliable recovery in Rest.
Also has good STABs and room for a phazing move (sorry Gligar).

Fuck, I had a whole post written and I got disconnected. Whatever.

I was gonna say that frankly, although I really like Intimidate, having a Pokemon that consistently loses to Fighting-types as a physical wall seems unappealing. Sure, you tank Heracross's Megahorn, but the only thing you can do back is Dragon Tail, so that's not particularly good. However, I do feel like Intimidate should be slashed or AC'd at least on the onsite Bulk Up set, due to its ability to set up on offensive Lax and (kinda, because it takes a lot from CB EQ) Rhyperior, while at the same time walling some non-setup special attackers.
I love the ability, especially on offensive Pokes (that's why I liked the concept of DD Intimidate Scrafty before the ability was released), but having a physical wall that loses to the most common physical attacking type is definitely a turnoff.

I haven't discussed this with other QC members, but I'm leaning more towards rejecting this, sorry.

0 Atk Scrafty Ice Punch vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Gligar (+Def) : 27.54% - 33.53% (3-4 hits to KO)
0 Atk Scrafty Ice Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Crobat: 38.59% - 45.66% (3 hits to KO)
0 Atk Scrafty Ice Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Flygon: 79.73% - 94.35% (2 hits to KO)
0 Atk Scrafty Ice Punch vs 252 HP/0 Def Amoonguss: 31.02% - 36.57% (4 hits to KO)
0 Atk Scrafty Ice Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Shaymin: 29.33% - 34.6% (3-4 hits to KO)
In my opinion Ice Punch is pretty useless; you can't even guarantee a 3hko on Gligar which is really bad and I fail to see any uses for it since most Pokemon that are hit super effective by it you probably won't to keep your Scrafty in (Shaymin, Amoongus, Crobat etc.) so Crunch should be the first option to not get screwed by substitute Mismagius and ghosts in general. Substitute Suicune and other Substitute mons can nab a few boosts and Dragon tail wont be phazing them anytime soon.

There are many better Pokemon who perform the role of physically defensive tank and as stated before by Kokoloko; the typing doesn't really help in addition to no recovery. You are just entry hazard user bait in all honesty and using Substitite in the last slot just makes your situation worse, I mean sure you avoid status but then what can you do? You can get spun on, set up on, opposing Pokemon low on health can heal themselves and take advantage of Scarfty.

@Ernesto: No worries man^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)