1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pichu (Analysis) [QC 2/2]

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by UltimateKirbyFan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

[​IMG]

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/pichu

[OVERVIEW]

Pichu is an extremely outclassed threat. Pichu, like its big brother Pikachu, has horrid stats at first glance, but it ultimately isn't completely useless. Its speed reaches a stat of 15, allows it to outspeed common Pokemon that sit at the 14 Speed stat. Pichu can perform different jobs, albeit sweeping or leading. Overall, Pichu is a Pokemon that an opponent should think twice about before moving.

[SET]
    name: Choice'd
    move 1: ThunderPunch / Toxic
    move 2: Volt Tackle
    move 3: Return
    move 4: Iron Tail
    item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
    nature: Jolly
    evs: 118 HP/ 196 Atk/ 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
    • ThunderPunch for a reliable STAB attack, while Toxic can be used to drain the opponent's HP
    • Volt Tackle for strong STAB move
    • Return hits hard against Pokemon that are resistant to Electric type moves
    • Iron Tail is used instead of Grass Knot because this is a physical set
    • Choice Band is the recommended item because Pichu's low attacking power greatly appreciates any boost in that area
    • With Choice Scarf, its Speed reaches 22, allowing it to outspeed all non-scarfed Pokemon

[SET]

name: Life Orb
    move 1: Volt Tackle
    move 2: Thunderbolt
    move 4: Hidden Power Ice
    item: Life Orb
    nature: Hasty/ Adamant
    evs: 36 HP/ 200 Atk/ 76 Sp. Atk/196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
    • Life Orb boosts the power of Pichu’s below average attacking stats
    • Volt Tackle for a strong STAB move
    • Thunderbolt is used of ThunderPunch here due to its higher base power
    • Return provides good coverage
    • Hidden Power Ice hits both Ground and Grass types

[SET]

name: Encore Orb
    move 1: Volt Tackle
    move 2: Encore
    move 4: Substitute
    item: Life Orb
    nature: Hasty/ Adamant
    evs: 112 HP/ 200 Atk/ 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
    • Pichu is the only electric type in LC to have access to Encore
    • Encore is used to force a switch, then Pichu can attack with Volt Tackle as they switch
    • Return provides more coverage
    • 112 HP evs allow Pichu to set up Substitute four times

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
    • Pichu appreciates any sort of status ailment on the opponent’s Pokemon, especially paralysis, sleep and freeze.
    • Also benefits from entry hazards such as Stealth Rock.

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

• Choice Specs set with Thunderbolt, Grass Knot, Hidden Power Ice and Signal Beam is a viable option
    • Nasty Plot Pichu with Thunderbolt, Grass Knot and Hidden Power Ice is also plausible
    • A Leading Pichu could also be used with Fake Out, Encore, Thunderbolt, Protect
    • Thunder Wave may be used over Protect to cripple the opponent's Pokemon and make it easier for your teammates to deal with

[TEAM OPTIONS]
    • Stealth Rock set-up users such as Bronzor
    • Because all three have a common weakness to Ground, a Scarf Gligar is beneficial to the team
    • Scarf Gligar can also scout the opponent's team with U-turn

[COUNTERS]
    • Pokemon with priority moves, such as ExtremeSpeed Dratini and Fake Out + Vacuum Wave Croagunk, can easily beat Pichu.
    • Chinchou doesn't take much damage from super effective Grass Knot, is resistant to HP Ice and is immune to Electric attacks.
    • Pokemon that outspeed Pichu have a easy time defeating it.
  2. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

That is true, I really wish Pichu has higher stats other than his cuteness.
  3. Siegrin

Siegrin

It's just that Pichu's base attacking stats are too low to do anything, the second you make your second attack, you'll be KOed because of Pichu's low defense.
  4. coolking49

coolking49

I battled someone using a pichu earlier. It may have been you. It didn't do much anything at all. Also, I looked atthe counters section and stopped taking this seriously
  5. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

I haven't played LC in the time it took to write this. Should I take out the counters section?
  6. Siegrin

Siegrin

Are you serious about this, after all you're contradicting yourself, in the overview, you say everybody has to prepare for it but in the counters it said everything counters this.
  7. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

Pichu y so shitty

Thunderbolt>Thunderpunch

Also, Jolly should be on the Choice set. The difference in power from Adamant to Jolly is minimal, and this lets Pichu speed tie with...stuff.
  8. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

ok, I'll change the Choice set.
  9. sensible

sensible

I suggest these changes.

Also: why no life orb set? 60 base speed and underwhelming attack stat coupled with Volt Tackle screams for a boost.

Also: Your team options section is a joke, at best.

Also: I would suggest entry hazard support since it is probably the only way Pichu can will ever damage anything.
  10. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

Thanks sensible, I'll think of the life orb set.
  11. Siegrin

Siegrin

Yeah, I agree with sensible, Life Orb seems to be one of the only things that would make Pichu a threat.
  12. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

I have updated the analysis with a Life Orb set and changed the Lead set and Team Options. Is this Life Orb set fine? Or are more improvements needed?
  13. NightShadow

NightShadow

should HP Ice or something be slashed with Protect on the Lead set, because Diglett is a common lead and you can barely do anything to it. I don't really play LC so I'm not so sure : /
  14. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

yea I realised that. Thanks for noticing
  15. sensible

sensible

You should put choice band as a slash since Pichu can't reach 19 hp. (yes its hp is that bad)
  16. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

Choice Band as a slash on which set?
  17. sensible

sensible

The life orb set.
  18. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

oh! ok, I guess that makes sense. Thanks, I'll edit it.

EDIT: I think that slashing Band on the Scarf set makes more sense as the Scarf set is based on Physical Attacks.
  19. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

Deslash Choice Band on Pichu unless you can find something Pichu OHKOs/2HKOs with Band it wouldn't with Life Orb. The power difference is minimal in Little Cup, and switching attacks isn't, even with shit movepool. Pichu isn't taking a hit, especially with Hasty, anyway.

Also, slash Quick Attack somewhere on the LO set. Maybe with Thunderbolt.
  20. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

I had to remind ShinyAzelf of the absense of Quick Attack in Pichu's movepool. And Choice Band is only a secondary choice, although it's not much difference from LO.
  21. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

Oh, I didn't know that.

Uh, did you get what I said. There is NO benefit to using Choice Band over Life Orb.
  22. sensible

sensible

Uh, yeah there is. You don't lose health when you have Choice Band. Since Volt Tackle is one of the primary moves in the set, it benefits Pichu more since it can't reach 19 hp.
  23. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

Look at that amazing bulk! Throw some defense evs and a bold nature and it isn't 2HKOed by Seel Fake Out+Aqua Jet!

Pichu isn't bulky. See Elekid and Magby and Abra and Gastly and Meowth. If you manage to kill yourself with Volt Tackle, I applaud you. That means you killed at least two, maybe three, average pokemon worth of damage.

Can you see that happening?

No, because Pichu is slow and weak and has bad defensive typing and apparently no priority, so it's bad. :/
  24. sensible

sensible

True i agree with you. 20 base hp means that its probably gonna kill itself after a volt tackle anyway lol.
  25. UltimateKirbyFan

UltimateKirbyFan

I slashed Choice Band with Scarf because the Scarf set is physical based while LO is mixed with Thunderbolt and Volt Tackle.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)