Pikach-Chooses You!

How useful has Pikachu been to you in NU battles?

• Total voters

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree it's a glass cannon, and lol, it would be so cool if Eelektross was as fast as Pikachu. I could definitely see it in OU. I used Eelektross, and it walled so many Pokemon @ Coil, it was funny x3

Pikachu competes with other top electric Pokemon in the NU metagame in terms of cuteness with Stunfisk and Emolga, but to me, both outclass Pikachu both in cuteness and it viability in the tier.

But what can you do?

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The reason why i compared it's attacking stats to some uber pokes is because of the shockingly high attack stat. If it's max attack is higher than the like of rayquaza (which it actually is), then how would it NOT be able to do big damage in NU?

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu ExtremeSpeed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sawk: 141-166 (48.45 - 57.04%)

252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Alomomola: 642-756 (120.22 - 141.57%)

252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Golurk: 350-412 (96.68 - 113.81%)

252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 192+ SpD Braviary: 318-374 (78.71 - 92.57%)

Here are some calcs :) hope this will give you more insight for its power in NU :D

Electrode's Electro Ball against a paralyzed Pokémon is actually stronger than Pikachu's Light Ball Thunderbolt, still, Pikachu is a pretty decent Pokémon that can actually punch some hard attacks, but you need a plan against scarfers and priority, anyway, Pikachu can't take hits.

Thats some pretty impresive damage Lagalag4 but what can it do against special walls?

252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Lickilicky: 142-168 (33.49 - 39.62%) -- 20.51% chance to 3HKO

It cant really touch the support set which can hit it, wish, protect and repeat till its dead or even toxic stall it out. With modest nature you almost garunteed a 3hko.

252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Flareon: 117-138 (35.02 - 41.31%) -- 76.83% chance to 3HKO

Flareon can easly do the same thing baring any crits. Its still a good hard hitting poke though but its not going to be easy for it to break specail walls. Although the Nasty Plot Set probably wont have to much trouble if it gets a Boost

It could also be real deadly in the Rain thanks to a perfect Thunder

252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Lickilicky: 178-211 (41.98 - 49.76%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It isnt to much better how ever as it can still be Protect, wish stalled out of rain turns and PP

I think a physical set would be better

Pikachu@Light Ball
Trait:Static/Lighting Road
Nature:Adamant
Ev:252 atk/252 spe/4 spA
-Brick Break
-Thunder Punch/Volt Tackle/Wild Charge
-Fake Out
-Volt Switch

He can do massive damage to pokemon with this set. And the Electric stab is up to preference. Thunder Punch Offers no recoil but alot lower BP. Volt tackle is his strongest move but with 1/3 recoil is very unappealing. And Wild Charge is a weaker alternative but with less recoil as well which is what i usually opt for.

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Lickilicky: 232-274 (54.71 - 64.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Lickilicky: 194-230 (45.75 - 54.24%) -- 4.69% chance to 2HKO(Garunteed with Fake Out)
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 312-368 (58.42 - 68.91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 416-492 (77.9 - 92.13%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu ThunderPunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 260-308 (48.68 - 57.67%) -- 47.66% chance to 2HKO(Garunteed with Fake Out or SR)

You can also opt for Hp Ice to hit tangela
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 416-492 (77.9 - 92.13%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

which wtih 4 evs and a negative nature isnt bad but you could also opt for other natures Like Naughty for extra Hp Ice and Volt Switch damage he probably will die to any attack with the extra defense so might as well take it away as a naughty nature hp ice vs tangela is
4 SpA Light Ball Pikachu (Move 1) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 158-186 (47.44 - 55.85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Governess

is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Those are some good defensive numbers. Even with those attacks with the power beating Rayquaza, I'd still get very disappointing results from it. Use a powered priority move/scarfed user against Pikachu, and it get's KO'd very easily. And the Physically offensive set looks good, but what about ESpeed? Doesn't that move belong somewhere? .3.

Laga

Forever Grande
Thats some pretty impresive damage Lagalag4 but what can it do against special walls?

252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Lickilicky: 142-168 (33.49 - 39.62%) -- 20.51% chance to 3HKO

It cant really touch the support set which can hit it, wish, protect and repeat till its dead or even toxic stall it out. With modest nature you almost garunteed a 3hko.

252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Flareon: 117-138 (35.02 - 41.31%) -- 76.83% chance to 3HKO

Flareon can easly do the same thing baring any crits. Its still a good hard hitting poke though but its not going to be easy for it to break specail walls. Although the Nasty Plot Set probably wont have to much trouble if it gets a Boost

It could also be real deadly in the Rain thanks to a perfect Thunder

252 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunder vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Lickilicky: 178-211 (41.98 - 49.76%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It isnt to much better how ever as it can still be Protect, wish stalled out of rain turns and PP

I think a physical set would be better

Pikachu@Light Ball
Trait:Static/Lighting Road
Nature:Adamant
Ev:252 atk/252 spe/4 spA
-Brick Break
-Thunder Punch/Volt Tackle/Wild Charge
-Fake Out
-Volt Switch

He can do massive damage to pokemon with this set. And the Electric stab is up to preference. Thunder Punch Offers no recoil but alot lower BP. Volt tackle is his strongest move but with 1/3 recoil is very unappealing. And Wild Charge is a weaker alternative but with less recoil as well which is what i usually opt for.

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Lickilicky: 232-274 (54.71 - 64.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Lickilicky: 194-230 (45.75 - 54.24%) -- 4.69% chance to 2HKO(Garunteed with Fake Out)
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 312-368 (58.42 - 68.91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu ThunderPunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 260-308 (48.68 - 57.67%) -- 47.66% chance to 2HKO(Garunteed with Fake Out or SR)

You can also opt for Hp Ice to hit tangela

which wtih 4 evs and a negative nature isnt bad but you could also opt for other natures Like Naughty for extra Hp Ice and Volt Switch damage he probably will die to any attack with the extra defense so might as well take it away as a naughty nature hp ice vs tangela is
4 SpA Light Ball Pikachu (Move 1) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 158-186 (47.44 - 55.85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
You are one clever person :D i agree, some specially defenders can block it very well, but one must keep this in mind. You have 5 more pokemon slots :) if you run a sawk and pikachu on the same team, lickylicky is basically dead already at team preview.

Though there is one thing i ponder about with your set. It's very good, but don't you think E-speed would be a good idea? the +2 priority can get you some nice revenge kills :D

Guys, calcs mean almost nothing when speaking of a Pokemon that 2HKO's some Pokemon in the metagame but can't take a hit. All of the defensive Pokemon mentioned that are 2HKO'd or 3HKO'd can hit back really hard, potentially OHKO'ing Pikachu.

Governess

Pikachu can Volt Switch out of all of them, though.
Even so, a priority attack, from Gurdurr from example, could potentially, or plainly KO Pikachu. If Pikachu's defenses were higher, it would be more viable to taking hits.

To everyone who said that they would never use a pikachu ever. I must tell you that not only does it work in NU, but also in ubers. just saying. Its attacking stats hit 458 and 436 respectively with light ball. To make a comparison here are some top threats attacking stats maxed out:

-Genesect hits a maximum of 372 in both attacking stats (depending on investment)

-Terrakion hits a maximum of 392 attack (adamant and max Atk)

-Tornadus-t hits a maximum of 350 SpA or 328 Atk (depending on investment)

-Excadrill hits a maximum of 405 Atk (adamant and max Atk)

-Thundurus hits a maximum of 383 SpA (modest and max SpA)

If pikachu's speed was base 91, it would work extremely well in ubers. outspeeding kyogre, groudon, reshiram, zekrom, ho-oh, lugia etc. at the moment it only speed ties with those. BUT most of them dont run max speed :) just trying to show you guys how awesome its attacking stats really are :3

Besides, its extremely cute ^.^

And more importantly those things can carry Life Orbs which Pikachu cannot which makes them stronger than Pikachu. Pikachu also has rather mediocre speed while Genesect can use a Scarf and hit with STAB U-Turn.

Pikachu can Volt Switch out of all of them, though.

Pikachu can not really effectively use Volt Switch with a Light Ball as it lacks both the power of say Choice Specs Raichu as well as lacking the speed of a Scarfer like Rotom-S.

Volt Switch is a scouting move that generally works when you can outspeed and threaten other frail offensive mons or other scarfers and threaten them with a KO. Pikachu's only above average speed meas it's not going to threaten to outspeed a lot without a Scarf and it lacks the pure power to OHKO bulky offensive pokemon...only doing between 50-70 to some of the tier's bulkiest threats such as Ludicolo, Gardevoir and Kangaskhan.

And Pikachu's defenses are so laughable that even a Fake Out will nearly KO it, let alone any of those trios primary stab moves.

Governess

I agree with Wobble. Though Pikachu's stats @ Life Orb are very high, it's defenses and average speed let it down. Unfortunately, no other set will work with it :< Poor little guy. :<

JeriachiCelebiMew@ i did state that in licklicklys that it can kill it faster than pikachu can kill it. But isn't pikachu the definition of a high risk high reward pokemon it can hit hard but when something hits it its dead.

everyone else so we all agree it can hit decently but cant take a hit

and ludicolo
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 252-297 (69.23 - 81.59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
meaning if its switching in its not going to live or if it takes any prior damage and you use volt tackel instead it wont live.

Laga

Forever Grande
well basically my point is, pikachu is still a potent threat if you play it right. If pikachu had base 100 speed, it would be a huge threat in my opinion.

But we're not theorymon'ing here, we're talking about reality. Priority is quite common in NU, and I don't think any experienced player / person in their right mind would switch Ludi into Pikachu, unless it's a specially defensive Ludicolo. Although I must say that I always liked the thought of sweeping with Pikachu, it's very hard to achieve.

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

I don't really use Pikachu but this set right here is probably it's best set. Come in on something like a Choice Scarf Rotom-S Volt Switch (beware of Air Slash, it will 2HKO) and set up a Substitute. Ground-types that attempt to switch in will be destroyed by Grass Knot or Hidden Power [Ice] while Thunderbolt hits everything else extremely hard, especially with a boost. Pikachu has a nice speed stat that allows it to outrun a lot of stuff in the tier, but any hit will practically bring it down. Don't even bother with a physical set since it leaves you walled by pretty much every Ground and Physically Defensive Grass type.
This set that FLCL posted is the best way for Pikachu to get a sweep. Behind a Substitute, this little furball is pretty damn scary. It can also work well as a Masquerain's QD receiver, but then again any Pokemon become fearful at +1, and there's arguably better receivers than Pikachu, such as Seismitoad, who has much more bulk and has great synergy with Masq.

Pikachu is a glass cannon, like everyone else has said, but thats even an understatement. Priority and scarf users shuts it down completely, and so as strong bulky special walls like lickylicky and musharna even. Its just not that likely at all for it to do much damage to any decent team. It can only use a light ball as an item, which limits its flexibility for different sets. Heres some calcs to show how frail pikachu is.

252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pikachu: 151-178 (71.56 - 84.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pikachu: 277-327 (131.27 - 154.97%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Lickilicky Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pikachu: 195-229 (92.41 - 108.53%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Yeah, lickylicky can even 1-hit ko this thing with body slam. '_'

Yes it can and I had the Tbolt vs lickylicky in one of my other post.

And since gurrdurrs Mach punch does not Ohko at least that's one extra hit if pika bus not switching in.

It would be even worse if he was baton passed a tail glow and sub =D even
though lickylicky can still survive from one +3 tbolt lol

+3 252+ SpA Light Ball Pikachu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Lickilicky: 387-456 (91.27 - 107.54%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO

yeah lickylicky completely walls pikachu, as it does to many things. 0.0 Gurdurr can also drain punch pikachu after surviving one t-bolt to 1-hit KO it, but its not really a COUNTER to pikachu. Maybe after spikes it could revenge kill it though. but yeah Pikachu is a glass cannon for sure.

Governess

Right now, we all know Light Ball is the only viable option for Pikachu at this point, and Thunderbolt/Volt Tackle are its attacking STAB moves, but how would it do in rain with Thunder? Would it make that much of a difference, having a more powerful move with 100% accuracy? Just a thought out there.

well, its a nice idea actually. After thinking about it, it MIGHT work.

if the rain goes down or if u dont have rain u are kind of stuck with a 70 accuracy move. Sure i like the idea though. How about this set?

Pikachu@Light Ball
Lightningrod
252 spA 252 speed 4 hp
timid nature
thunder
substitute
hp ice
grass knot

Its the same thing as FLCL's set besides the change of thunderbolt to thunder XD

Calcs:

Pretty big difference in power, and after stealth rocks im pretty sure its a guranteed 2-hit KO. It could beeat a lickylicky 0.0

Don't forget to factor in Leftovers recovery for Lickilicky.

But yeah, something like Kadabra really enjoys special walls being weakened by Pikachu so it can sweep. However, all those NU special walls are hit hard by Brick Break, making relying on Thunder a bit dubious to me.

Licky can also wishtect stall out of rain turns and pp before it can even get it within killing range

I was also thinking a full out mix set could work

Pikachu@LightBall
Trait:Lightning Rod
Nature:Naive/Naughty/Rash
Ev:124 atk/124 SpAtk/252 Spe(Naughty:135 atk/114 Spatk/Rash:114 atk/136 spAtk)
-BrickBreak
-Thunderbolt
-HP-Ice
-Extreme Speed

with this and either rash or naughty he gets the equivalent of 360 atk and spatk with light-ball. Thunderbolt and Hp-Ice or for boltpiloswinbeam coverage while Brick Break and extreme speed serve as a way to hit/normal types and as a priority move, respectively

That doesn't truly work if Pikachu has Nasty Plot and Substitute, which Pikachu can set up during Lickilicky's Protect turns.

A Mixed set isn't viable because with max investment in an attacking stat, Pikachu won't be hitting very hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)