Pikachu Cup [Online Competition]

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
This is now playable on Pokemon Showdown!

Pokemon Global Link said:
Play shocking battles in the Pikachu Cup, an Online Competition where only Electric-type Pokémon are allowed, including Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter. If Pikachu is among the top three most-used Pokémon in the tournament, all qualified participants will receive a Special Pikachu! If Pikachu finishes 4th through 12th in the usage rankings, everyone will receive a Light Ball. If Pikachu is not in the top 12, all Trainers will receive 1,000 Poké Miles. Good luck in the exciting Pikachu Cup!
Regulations said:
Sign-Up Period
Thursday, August 13, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, August 20, 2015, at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
Friday, August 21, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, August 23, 2015, at 23:59 UTC

Participant Limit
50,000 (limit subject to change; first come, first served)

Participation Gift
Qualified participants will receive a gift determined by Pikachu’s place in the final Pokémon Ranking for the competition (see below). To receive the gift, competitors must complete at least three battles and earn a place in the rankings.

Pikachu Ranking ---Participation Gift
1st through 3rd: Pikachu with Endeavor
4th through 12th:Light Ball
13th or beyond:1,000 Poké Miles

Age Divisions
Junior Division: Born 2000 or later
Masters Division: Born 1999 or earlier
• Junior Division players are limited to playing between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., based on the eastern-most time zone in each player’s country.

Ranking Results Announcement
Early September (announcement time subject to change)

Compatible Games
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Competition Rules
• This competition uses Double Battle format.
• Players may use any Pokémon from the National Pokédex with the Electric type, excluding Zapdos, Raikou, Arceus, Thundurus, and Zekrom.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter may participate in this competition.
• Register 4–6 of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box.
• All Pokémon above Lv. 50 in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Only four of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Box can be used during each match.
• A 15-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 60 seconds to select four Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 30 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 15 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.

Participation Requirements
• A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
• A wireless Internet connection
• A Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire game with a Game Sync ID registered in the Pokémon Global Link (PGL)
• The birth date you have registered in your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered during the competition that your birth-date information is incorrect, you may be disqualified from the competition and future competitions.
Mono-electric doubles tournament!

Summary:
- Zapdos, Raikou, Arceus-Electric, Thundurus (both formes), and Zekrom are banned
- Pikachu is not required, but if it makes it into the top 3 then everyone gets a "special prize" (Pikachu knowing Endeavor, a move it cannot learn otherwise)
- Registration is August 13th to 20th, tournament is 21st to 23rd
- Slightly faster timer: 15 minutes per battle, 60 seconds in team preview, 30 seconds per turn
- Non-pentagon pokemon are allowed!
- Everything else as standard (item clause, species clause, etc)

http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/89f4d353-179b-4b9e-af2f-6cfb5992edd8

cant say edit - how to register:

1. Log into the PGL

2. Click on the 'Online Competitions' button on the left of the screen

3. Click on the competition in the middle of the screen

4. Proceed to the signups. This will bring up a checkbox so you can say you've read the regulations (not pictured)

5. No you're officially signed up! Nice job

Now you have to hop on your Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire game on your 3DS and finish the registration.

6. Go to Battle Spot and then select 'Online Competition'

7. Now select to participate

8. The game will now download your digital ID to the game, this will take a few seconds. You are then asked if you want to register your battle box, this is where everyone messes up and ends up having to play with the wrong team. Simply chose 'quit'. This will allow you to come back and register your Battle Box when it is ready. You don't even have to do this before the competition starts! When you are ready to compete in your first battle, make sure your Battle Box has all the correct Pokemon, then you come back here and register your Battle Box! (obviously there's still a week until it starts)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Some notes:

- Emolga is the only tailwind setter
- No electric types learn trick room
- Magnezone and magneton are the only gravity setters
- Pachirisu is the only redirector
- Electivire and Stunfisk are the only pokemon that get ground-type attacks worth using that isn't hidden power
- Soak lanturn might be very useful
- Ampharos and manectric are the only mega evolutions, though I don't see manectric doing much in this
- Remember cosplay pikachu is a thing

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm really tempted to use an Electivire + Eviolite Magneton with Gravity. Without a Wide Guard user in the metagame, Electivire's EQ could be pretty potent (especially if there aren't too many Mega Manectrics in use to Intimidate). The problem is that a Choice Scarf one outspeeds many of its threats, but lacks the power to OHKO too much. Choice Band has the power it needs, but can't outspeed things like Soak Lanturn that could cripple it.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can see why they've given the incentive to use Pikachu because he honestly looks trash in this. However I really hope people use him just so we can get the special one, because anything extra to soft-reset is fine by me (and all of the Wi-Fi section).

Electric-type STAB is pretty worthless here, unless running Soak (which I plan to do!). I feel like Soak will be the premier strat for this so plan accordingly. Electrode will be great here as a fast Taunt and Screens setter. All special attackers should have Hidden Power Ground by default. Electivire will be a beast, it is the only mon apart from Stunfisk to get Earthquake, and there's no Wide Guard in the format. You can easily pair him with Emolga for Helping Hand (and potentially Tailwind), slap a Scarf (or Earth Plate) on him and go to town... (actually this will probs be the go-to strat)

Going back to Pikachu, it's a shame that everything he does is outclassed by Raichu due to higher speed and slightly better bulk. Going offensive with him is dumb but he's too frail to support well enough. He has a niche as the only Fake Out mon (besides Raichu ofc), and has access to Feint to lift Protects. I would probably use something like this:

Pikachu @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Helping Hand
- Brick Break / Knock Off / Magnet Rise / Protect.

Something massive would be to use Teeter Dance but getting hold of one of those is slim (recent Japanese event)...

I would really love to play in this except I'm overseas when it's on, so not sure I'll be able to :(

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Rotom is not banned, so there's one out against EQ spam. Rotom-Frost might be cool to beat down Stunfisk, Emolga and Mega Ampharos with possibly Hail-assisted Blizzards. Shame that the only Electric-type Hail user is Lanturn but you make do I guess :/

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
This looks interesting enough that I might try it out. Some thing that stand out to me are Electivire because of Earthquke; Rotom because, to Electivire, its Earthquake Immunity is insult and Will-O-Wisp is injury; Jolteon, who's fast enough that it could probably get away with a Modest Nature and has Syncronoise and Helping Hand; and Heliolisk who has the most powerful Non-Electric STAB move, (Hyper Voice off of a 109 SpA) Electrify which turns the Target Pokemon's move to an Electric Type Move, (If it's stopped by Motor Drive then Electivire still destroys you.) and Solar Power if you want to use the Sun to make it and teammates with Fire Moves more powerful.

I think that M-Manectric will be used if only to soften up Earthquakes from Electivire/Stunfisk.

I plan on trying out Heliolisk with a Lightning Rod partner to Electrify my opponent's attacks before they get a hit off. On slower Pokemon (Lanturn/Stunfisk/Non-Scarfed Electivire) their attacks get redirected. On faster Pokemon, keep Pikachu/Rotom/Electivire in the back to see what they lock into.

Eelektross also gets a special mention for fun coverage and dodging ground type moves. Gravity could be annoying though.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
I plan on trying out Heliolisk with a Lightning Rod partner to Electrify my opponent's attacks before they get a hit off.
We were talking about this about a week ago in the teambuilding thread and apparently, Lightning Rod redirects Electrify itself, nullifying its effect and giving your partner a +1 boost without being able to take advantage of the move's effects (much like any other targeted Electric-type move). The only way to really take advantage of Electrify is if you predict an attack onto a partner with Motor Drive or Volt Absorb and Electrify it to heal/boost your partner, but that's unreliable enough that I wouldn't consider it.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
From serebii:

Following the reveal of the Battle Competition yesterday, some further details have been given about the entry gift, specifically the Pikachu distribution. If Pikachu is in the Top 3 most used Pokémon in the Battle Competition, then a Pikachu will be distributed. The official Japanese site has posted some further details of this Pikachu. This Pikachu is special in that it knows the move Endeavor, a move it can't normally learn. The distribution will run some time after rankings are posted in September
Doesn't look like getting pikachu into the top 3 is worth bothering with

We were talking about this about a week ago in the teambuilding thread and apparently, Lightning Rod redirects Electrify itself, nullifying its effect and giving your partner a +1 boost without being able to take advantage of the move's effects (much like any other targeted Electric-type move). The only way to really take advantage of Electrify is if you predict an attack onto a partner with Motor Drive or Volt Absorb and Electrify it to heal/boost your partner, but that's unreliable enough that I wouldn't consider it.
Turns out I was wrong, I retracted my post

I suppose Lightning Rod is useless, nobody will use electric move in a tour where there are only electric pokémon. Maybe just for Rotom-W, Emolga and stop.
Stunfisk, the only pokémon with ground STAB.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I suppose Lightning Rod is useless, nobody will use electric move in a tour where there are only electric pokémon. Maybe just for Rotom-W, Emolga and stop.
Stunfisk, the only pokémon with ground STAB.
Nobody would fire an electric type attack at an Emolga, seeing as it only gets Motor Drive and Static, and in a meta where paralysis doesn't exist I doubt people will run Static Emolga.

Predicting the most used pokemon to be Rotom-Cut btw. Its advantage over Stunfisk and Lanturn (both of which look like will be common pokes) is a great plus, alongside the capability of dealing massive damage with Leaf Storm. Rotom-Heat is only viable as a meta-option for Rotom-Cut, and even then loses out when Soaked and struggles against stuff like Power Gem from Mega Amphy. Rotom-Frost seems like a good option for Amphy though, but Ice is just a really hard type to use and almost nothing in this meta learns hail (which Blizzard will be way too inconsistent without).

Quick question:
Does soak effect a pokemon with water absorb (Lanturn)?

This competition seems like a lot of fun. Doubles is great, and I love the prize incentive, even if it is only endeavor. I'll probably try to use pikachu, even if I don't bring it to most battles.

I was going to use Pikachu in this, until I saw that all that's making the prize Pikachu special is Endeavor. Now I'm actually not only not going to use Pikachu, but I'm actually trying to convince everyone to get Raichu into the top 3 instead, and boycott Pikachu usage altogether, because quite frankly, the 1,000 Poké Miles is more enticing than that Pikachu. I mean, if it were a Surf Pikachu, that'd be a whole other swarm of Yanma, but unfortunately, that's not what we're dealing with. So, anyone else gonna join me in making this the Raichu Cup?

I was going to use Pikachu in this, until I saw that all that's making the prize Pikachu special is Endeavor. Now I'm actually not only not going to use Pikachu, but I'm actually trying to convince everyone to get Raichu into the top 3 instead, and boycott Pikachu usage altogether, because quite frankly, the 1,000 Poké Miles is more enticing than that Pikachu. I mean, if it were a Surf Pikachu, that'd be a whole other swarm of Yanma, but unfortunately, that's not what we're dealing with. So, anyone else gonna join me in making this the Raichu Cup?
Ye, Raichu needs more love. Raichu Cup it is!

Potential moveset: A fast set with Fake Out, Thunderbolt, Wish, Volt Switch with Soak support.

I'm going to be using this combo a lot I think. Scarf Soak is gonna be sweet with Ampharos, so even if they have Lightingrod or Volt Absorb Mold Breaker will go through it to get the super effective hit. This is looking really solid to me. Biggest downside is Ampharos' low speed though.

Lanturn @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Soak
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Light Screen (just filler mostly, most electric types are special i figured it'd be decent)
- Protect

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Does light ball double Cosplay Pikachu's attacking stats? If so Icicle Crash does over half to Rotom-C Stunfisk and M-Ampharos. With Helping Hand and an Adamant nature it can ohko them depending on the set. Eelektross looks pretty cool with all its coverage.

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm going to be using this combo a lot I think. Scarf Soak is gonna be sweet with Ampharos, so even if they have Lightingrod or Volt Absorb Mold Breaker will go through it to get the super effective hit. This is looking really solid to me. Biggest downside is Ampharos' low speed though.

Lanturn @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Soak
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Light Screen (just filler mostly, most electric types are special i figured it'd be decent)
- Protect
This looks like a solid strat to me too. Just gotta remember that mold breaker doesn't nullify the redirection element of lightningrod. Also, why not slap agility on amphy if you have a filler spot and worried about its speed?

This looks like a solid strat to me too. Just gotta remember that mold breaker doesn't nullify the redirection element of lightningrod. Also, why not slap agility on amphy if you have a filler spot and worried about its speed?
That could definitely work too. Tailwind support would be nice if I could get it up and perform this as well. I'd need to look into EV spreads for that too, i wouldnt want ampharos to go before lanturn cause it wouldn't work as well. actually max speed modest amph is literally one point slower than scarf lanturn so that works out perfectly

Last edited:
Does light ball double Cosplay Pikachu's attacking stats? If so Icicle Crash does over half to Rotom-C Stunfisk and M-Ampharos. With Helping Hand and an Adamant nature it can ohko them depending on the set. Eelektross looks pretty cool with all its coverage.
Light Ball still doubles the offensive stats as far as I know. I don't know if it's worth it if Scarf Rotom-C OHKOs Pika back in return or M-Amphy OHKO's with Dragon Pulse. That Flinch/Miss chance is nice though. I wish the Cosplay Pikachu received even more costumes. It's an interesting idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)