Pikachu Cup [Online Competition]

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I didn't know people had blissey bases so thank you for showing me. However, I'm a little scared to use a cloned ditto because the PGL just issued a warning about modified pokemon which could get you banned from rating battles and competitions and considering how long it takes them to post the results, I think that they actually investigate top ranked participants (not that I will ever fall into that catagory, but I'd rather be safe). There is still a while until the competition so the ditto mirage spots have got to show up eventually.
Although I'm sure this Ditto will pass the hack check because clones are impossible to tell from the original one, you just made me paranoid enough to put all my shinies in Pokebank.

I wouldn't count on finding Ditto's mirage spot due to the number of spots being greater than the number of days until the Pika Cup, so I'd try asking for a 5IV Rotom the Simple Questions/Requests thread in the WiFi Forums. It helps if you have something to offer in return, but it's not uncommon find someone who would give you on out of the kindness of their heart.

I didn't know people had blissey bases so thank you for showing me. However, I'm a little scared to use a cloned ditto because the PGL just issued a warning about modified pokemon which could get you banned from rating battles and competitions and considering how long it takes them to post the results, I think that they actually investigate top ranked participants (not that I will ever fall into that catagory, but I'd rather be safe). There is still a while until the competition so the ditto mirage spots have got to show up eventually.
The vast majority of the people who trade on the WiFi section here used his Ditto. It's perfectly legal and better than any other that you'll catch in game.

He didn't create it out of thin air.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
If you just use the ditto for breeding and don't use it online then you have nothing to worry about. All of the babies will be perfectly legitimate and legal.

I wouldn't worry too much about that recent warning though, since I'm pretty sure it was meant for some people in japan who have been going online with completely messed up pokemon that ends up wiping other peoples' save data. Even heavily powersaved stuff can't do that.

All I've seen in this competition is a bunch of talentless Electrivire users doing Earthquake in whatever way possible

The dangerous I've seen is Magnetic Flux setups, Synchronoise Jolteon and Hyper Voice to bring down Substitute users

Also Tailwind and the less common but easily predictable Soak Lanturn

I'm kind of concerned that this competition is going to be an Electivire + Emolga arms race. Every battle i've played has been against a Electivire + Emolga Lead. Tailwind + Earthquake = everything dies.

My only defense so far has been to use Luxray + Rotom-Mow. But even with Intimidate + a Burn, Earthquake's still churning out 2-3 hit KOs. And then of course there's coverage options for anything that has Levitate.

On the upside, I found that using a Lanturn with Stockpile for support seems to be doing me pretty well!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I'm kind of concerned that this competition is going to be an Electivire + Emolga arms race. Every battle i've played has been against a Electivire + Emolga Lead. Tailwind + Earthquake = everything dies.

My only defense so far has been to use Luxray + Rotom-Mow. But even with Intimidate + a Burn, Earthquake's still churning out 2-3 hit KOs. And then of course there's coverage options for anything that has Levitate.

On the upside, I found that using a Lanturn with Stockpile for support seems to be doing me pretty well!
Best thing you can do is get rid of their electivire as quickly as you can, and always bring at least two things immune to EQ. Scarf electivire ice punch and quick attack emolga are always hilarious for getting rid of enemy tailwind strategies.

I've been having moderate success with Snatch Rotom. You can steal your opponent's tailwind and proceed to KO their Emolga before they can attempt to set up another next turn.

Last edited:
I finally finished breeding my team. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and I apologize to everyone who had to listen to my newbie talk, I now realize this probably wasn't the right place for beginner questions. However, on ps I have had the most success with simple attacking with specs jolteon synchronoise and/or scarf electrivire eq. while something else spams protect (or levitates). Agility Ampharos and coil Eelektross and stunfisk have provided good secondary offense while rotom-f is a good partner to jolteon because it has good special defense and it can finish off foes with blizzard or use will-o-wisp.

I've been having moderate success with Snatch Rotom. You can steal your opponent's tailwind and proceed to KO their Emolga before they can attempt to set up another next turn.
You sir, are a genius! It'll allow me to keep my anti lead of Luxray and Rotom, or should I just go for Electivire + Rotom?

You sir, are a genius! It'll allow me to keep my anti lead of Luxray and Rotom, or should I just go for Electivire + Rotom?
Luxray + Rotom is a "safer" lead in case you don't Snatch their Tailwind and end up getting taunted by Emolga. Their Electivire will at least be at -1. Electivire + Rotom allows you to have more offensive presence if you do successfully Snatch their Tailwind. +Attack Luxray and Electivire are able to 2HKO Emolga with Ice Fang and Ice Punch respectively, you'll be able to remove a nice chunk of HP from Emolga turn 1 and KO it if your opponent leaves it in.

Hey guys, this is my first competition for which I'm building a team for :]

I really like these kind of weirds metagames, so I just like to have fun playing with this. I've been battling on showdown for a while. I'm not going too well, even though my wins are surely above 70%, so I'd like to ask you guys what I should improve in my team. Here it is:

HTML:
Pikachu (M) @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Encore

I have it just so we will all get that special Pikachu lol
252 in atk because fake out does more damage, protect so that the opponent can waste one move. Knock off to deal some damage when I can, but I used it very rarely.

Electivire @ Focus Sash
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return/Double-Edge
- Ice Punch
- Protect

The physical sweeper in team. Earthquake is a must have, ice punch for stunfisk/emolga, return or double-edge for strong hits. Double-Edge breaks the sash...

Eelektross @ Earth Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Acid Spray
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Just random. Acid spray can help, hidden power ground does help with the plate. Giga Drain for stunfisk and wash-rotom. I should probably change it...

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psych Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Leaf Storm

Rotom is needed here. This defensive rotom does its job pretty well when it can use psych up on my ampharos. Maybe I should change it with a different rotom form. Any suggestions?

Ampharos @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Plus
EVs: 232 HP / 184 Atk / 24 Def / 68 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Power-Up Punch
- Magnetic Flux

The star of the team. I won lots of 1 vs 3-4 with this, especially when my team sucked more than the one I have now. Shuca Berry is needed when I face electivire without a magnetic flux on.
Maybe I should change the EVs

Lanturn @ Air Balloon
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soak
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Ice Beam

A random poke.  Ice beam can help, but soak not so much. Air Balloon doesn't make it die too quickly, but it's still a pokemon I don't like using. Should I change it?

That's it! If you can guys can help me out with it I'd really appreciate it! I haven't been battling seriously since D/P ( platinum wasn't even out).

EDIT:

After trying a lot of variants with Manectric, and after doing a couple matches with other Plus/Minus 'mons I completely changed my team after losing a few battles in a row because of consecutive crits lol

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, this is my first competition for which I'm building a team for :]

I really like these kind of weirds metagames, so I just like to have fun playing with this. I've been battling on showdown for a while. I'm not going too well, even though my wins are surely above 70%, so I'd like to ask you guys what I should improve in my team. Here it is:

HTML:
Pikachu (M) @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Encore

I have it just so we will all get that special Pikachu lol
252 in atk because fake out does more damage, protect so that the opponent can waste one move. Knock off to deal some damage when I can, but I used it very rarely.

Electivire @ Focus Sash
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Return/Double-Edge
- Ice Punch
- Protect

The physical sweeper in team. Earthquake is a must have, ice punch for stunfisk/emolga, return or double-edge for strong hits. Double-Edge breaks the sash...

Eelektross @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Acid Spray
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Just random. Acid spray can help, hidden power ground does help with the plate. Giga Drain for stunfisk and wash-rotom. I should probably change it...

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psych Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Leaf Storm

Rotom is needed here. This defensive rotom does its job pretty well when it can use psych up on my ampharos. Maybe I should change it with a different rotom form. Any suggestions?

Ampharos @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Plus
EVs: 232 HP / 184 Atk / 24 Def / 68 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Power-Up Punch
- Magnetic Flux

The star of the team. I won lots of 1 vs 3-4 with this, especially when my team sucked more than the one I have now. Shuca Berry is needed when I face electivire without a magnetic flux on.
Maybe I should change the EVs

Lanturn @ Air Balloon
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soak
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Ice Beam

A random poke.  Ice beam can help, but soak not so much. Air Balloon doesn't make it die too quickly, but it's still a pokemon I don't like using. Should I change it?

That's it! If you can guys can help me out with it I'd really appreciate it! I haven't been battling seriously since D/P ( platinum wasn't even out).
Why do you only have three Pokemon? You do know it's a bring 6, pick 4 doubles comp right? edit: the HTML box decided to work properly and let me scroll down and see the rest, lol.

Offensive Pikachu doesn't really make sense if he's just for Fake Out / Encore support then why not go for a bulkier set? Max HP with Eviolite would he what I would run, but that set is super outclassed by Raichu... Unless you really want an Endeavor Pikachu I wouldn't use him...

Sash Electivire is an interesting option, something I haven't considered myself so I'm not sure whether it's good or bad. Personally I wouldn't bother with it but maybe it's better than I think.. Your Normal-type move should be changed to Facade, it let's you still do something if you cop a Burn. I don't understand the random 30 speed IV, is that a mistake?

Specially offensive Eelektross doesn't seem like the best set available for him, there are so many things he can do... He can do an effective boosting set with either Coil and Drain Punch or Assault Vest and Power-Up Punch. He also has great supportive moves, and I used a dedicated support set myself with Gastro Acid, Super Fang and Knock Off. There's been a bunch of posts about how people are using him so just have a lurk of this thread.

Pretty interesting Rotom you've got there. Not really sure which boosters you're looking for copy with Psych Up, the most common is Eelektross but copying his attack boosts is worthless. Only other thing is copying Magnetic Flux strats... Does Psych Up remove Leaf Storm's SpA drop? If it does then that's kinda cool I guess. Pain Split looks cool, but maybe consider running HP Ground just so you don't have to rely on Leaf Storm

This Ampharos set is really weird to me. The biggest attribute for Amph in this meta is being a mega and having access to the best STAB move in the meta with Dragon Pulse. He also has a bunch of other cool moves like Agility, Cotton Spore, Cotton Guard (sharply boosts Def, so can be used on a mega set instead of Magnetic Flux). I dunno, it looks really gimmicky, but you say it's been successful so I dunno, lol.

If you wanna make use of Soak Lanturn then it should primarily be used with a Scarf and either a Discharge user (to also heal Lanturn) or Mega Amph so it can hit stuff with abilities that block Electric moves. If you aren't gonna use Scarf Soak then you should probably drop it and use an Icy Wind set. Scald / other Water STAB is another great reason to use Lanturn which you're not doing, so consider those options.

I just tried this and it is very useful against Emolga. I've also been saving electrivire and jolteon until the end once my opponent's checks are gone. The only problem I have choice items on both of them so I can't switch them out to stop them from ko'ing each other or other allies once they are locked in.

Why do you only have three Pokemon? You do know it's a bring 6, pick 4 doubles comp right? edit: the HTML box decided to work properly and let me scroll down and see the rest, lol.

Offensive Pikachu doesn't really make sense if he's just for Fake Out / Encore support then why not go for a bulkier set? Max HP with Eviolite would he what I would run, but that set is super outclassed by Raichu... Unless you really want an Endeavor Pikachu I wouldn't use him...

Sash Electivire is an interesting option, something I haven't considered myself so I'm not sure whether it's good or bad. Personally I wouldn't bother with it but maybe it's better than I think.. Your Normal-type move should be changed to Facade, it let's you still do something if you cop a Burn. I don't understand the random 30 speed IV, is that a mistake?

Specially offensive Eelektross doesn't seem like the best set available for him, there are so many things he can do... He can do an effective boosting set with either Coil and Drain Punch or Assault Vest and Power-Up Punch. He also has great supportive moves, and I used a dedicated support set myself with Gastro Acid, Super Fang and Knock Off. There's been a bunch of posts about how people are using him so just have a lurk of this thread.

Pretty interesting Rotom you've got there. Not really sure which boosters you're looking for copy with Psych Up, the most common is Eelektross but copying his attack boosts is worthless. Only other thing is copying Magnetic Flux strats... Does Psych Up remove Leaf Storm's SpA drop? If it does then that's kinda cool I guess. Pain Split looks cool, but maybe consider running HP Ground just so you don't have to rely on Leaf Storm

This Ampharos set is really weird to me. The biggest attribute for Amph in this meta is being a mega and having access to the best STAB move in the meta with Dragon Pulse. He also has a bunch of other cool moves like Agility, Cotton Spore, Cotton Guard (sharply boosts Def, so can be used on a mega set instead of Magnetic Flux). I dunno, it looks really gimmicky, but you say it's been successful so I dunno, lol.

If you wanna make use of Soak Lanturn then it should primarily be used with a Scarf and either a Discharge user (to also heal Lanturn) or Mega Amph so it can hit stuff with abilities that block Electric moves. If you aren't gonna use Scarf Soak then you should probably drop it and use an Icy Wind set. Scald / other Water STAB is another great reason to use Lanturn which you're not doing, so consider those options.
Thanks a lot.
I want to use a Pikachu hoping it'll be in the top 3 most used mons, so that we'll all receive a special pikachu code. I thought it'd still be too frail if invested in HP, but I'll give it a try!

Electivire: I'll use Facade, you're right. And yeah, the 30 in speed is a mistake.

Eelektross: I need a special offensive pokemon unluckily :( I'll check this thread though.

With Rotom I copy my own ampharos boost. After a 2x it's very difficult to take down, and using pain split helps a lot. And yeah, the SpA becomes 1x again after the psych up! That's really good

That's my strategy: using magnetic flux on ampha until I get a 4x because it's almost impossible to take down, then rest and sleep talk until I can kill them with power-up punch. If Rotom is my 2nd mon then it can copy the ampharos stats, so that every SpA drops gets deleted and I get higher Def and SpDef, which is so good. It's working out fairly well, but I need 4 better mons.
I don't let him mega evolve because it will lose the magnetic flux gain. I could let it mega evolve after getting a 4x, but I'd lose the Shuca berry, which is what let me set up against any opponent. But I could give it a try. I don't even need to switch him when electivire uses eartquake because ampha just eats that hit lol
Also, I don't think I should use dragon pulse instead of power-up punch, so I'd just 2 other types super effective on me and I wouldn't gain too much in terms of atk and defenses.

Yeah, I'll do what you said with lanturn. But I might even discard him.

I don't like how Eelektross and Lanturn are doing... So I might decide to change them. I'll surely change their sets.

Thanks a lot!

I tried to apply for the tournament but I get a massage that there's no tournament available. Are all places reserved already?

I tried to apply for the tournament but I get a massage that there's no tournament available. Are all places reserved already?
You need to apply for the tournament on the global link's webpage: http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/

After logging in just click on "Online Tournaments" and apply for the Pikachu Cup. Then you should go on the PSS of the game and go to online tournament. I think all the instructions are on the global link's site.

Hey everyone! So this is is my first time trying a meta like this. I only just started doing serious online competition recently. Took me weeks to breed an OU team I was happy with and it still needs work (only really missing 1 mon). Anyway, I transferred over a bunch of my B/W/B2/W2 mons that I had bred way back when and reset their EVS and did and bunch of super training, spent most of this month just breeding and trading and training stuff to use in this cup. Something that caught my interest though was a pikachu I got back in 2012 from an event that has fly... I wasn't going to use use a pikachu on my team initially but may reconsider if this could be useful... any ideas? Currently I'm running Jolteon, Lanturn, M-Ampharos, Rotom, Stunfisk and Elektross. I can post their spread here in a minute as I'm not home right now.

Hey everyone! So this is is my first time trying a meta like this. I only just started doing serious online competition recently. Took me weeks to breed an OU team I was happy with and it still needs work (only really missing 1 mon). Anyway, I transferred over a bunch of my B/W/B2/W2 mons that I had bred way back when and reset their EVS and did and bunch of super training, spent most of this month just breeding and trading and training stuff to use in this cup. Something that caught my interest though was a pikachu I got back in 2012 from an event that has fly... I wasn't going to use use a pikachu on my team initially but may reconsider if this could be useful... any ideas? Currently I'm running Jolteon, Lanturn, M-Ampharos, Rotom, Stunfisk and Elektross. I can post their spread here in a minute as I'm not home right now.
I really can't see a pikachu with Fly being useful considering ever pokemon in the format resists Fly except Rotom-C :(

I really can't see a pikachu with Fly being useful considering ever pokemon in the format resists Fly except Rotom-C :(
YYeah I didn't think so... and I'm doing quite well with my current team on showdown. I've only lost 1 match, my very first one of the night that picked out the flaws. I haven't lost since. Really hesitant to change anything :)

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I've been using this for a while and have seen other people use it, but I haven't seen a post about it in this thread.

I've been having a lot of success with bulky Luxray lately!

Luxray @ Sitrus Berry / Leftovers / Shuca Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Helping Hand
- Snarl
- Return / Superpower

The EVs ensure that Life Orb Electivire will be unable to 2HKO Luxray after Intimidate, while the rest goes into special bulk. Snarl may seem silly, but because so much of the metagame is specially based, its very easy to quickly weaken them, which is great for setting stuff up or just general tanking! Also, because this Luxray lasts so long, I've found it to be EXCELLENT at abusing Helping Hand. Seriously, this mofo has caused so many sweeps for stuff like Heliolisk, its unreal!

Btw the last move is mostly just filler. Return is... pretty weak, but its better than nothing! I also ocasionally used Superpower to really nail Heliolisk.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I've been using this for a while and have seen other people use it, but I haven't seen a post about it in this thread.

I've been having a lot of success with bulky Luxray lately!

Luxray @ Sitrus Berry / Leftovers / Shuca Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Helping Hand
- Snarl
- Return / Superpower

The EVs ensure that Life Orb Electivire will be unable to 2HKO Luxray after Intimidate, while the rest goes into special bulk. Snarl may seem silly, but because so much of the metagame is specially based, its very easy to quickly weaken them, which is great for setting stuff up or just general tanking! Also, because this Luxray lasts so long, I've found it to be EXCELLENT at abusing Helping Hand. Seriously, this mofo has caused so many sweeps for stuff like Heliolisk, its unreal!

Btw the last move is mostly just filler. Return is... pretty weak, but its better than nothing! I also ocasionally used Superpower to really nail Heliolisk.
I've heard about Baby-doll Eyes being a cool option on Luxray which can really screw up Electivires that like to switch out of Intimidate. The priority attack drop sounds super annoying (I haven't run into nor tried this myself though). I'm currently using a support M-Manectric but this set (with BdE in the last slot) seems like it could be a great replacement if you don't care about the speed drop so much..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)