Piloswine (GP 2/2)

Piloswine

[Overview]

<p>Piloswine has always been one of the most underrated Pokemon in NU, consistently being much lower on the usage stats than it should be. Piloswine is one of the best offensive Stealth Rock users in NU, with its unique offensive typing that is nearly unresisted in the tier. With a solid base 100 Attack, Piloswine is strong enough to deal significant damage to threats such as Cinccino and Zangoose. Piloswine is also amazingly bulky once Eviolite is factored in, with defenses rivaling that of Tangela! Additionally, Thick Fat is a very useful ability on Piloswine, allowing it to resist the famous BoltBeam combination. Unfortunately base 50 Speed is quite slow, so nearly every offensive threat has the potential to outspeed Piloswine; however, Ice Shard alleviates this.</p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Icicle Spear / Icicle Crash
move 4: Ice Shard
item: Eviolite
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Piloswine's best set in the current metagame, as it capitalizes on Piloswine's offensive and defensive capabilities very well. Stealth Rock is the crux of the set because it allows Piloswine to support the team. With Piloswine's natural bulk, it is capable of setting up Stealth Rock on just about any Pokemon in NU. Earthquake is Piloswine's strongest STAB attack, damaging Pokemon such as Ampharos, Garbodor, and Carracosta harder than any other move on the set. Icicle Spear is generally preferred over Icicle Crash because of the potential power that it has, dealing more damage to threats such as Golem and Amoonguss. Ice Shard gives Piloswine a very valuable priority move, allowing it to revenge kill fast yet frail threats, such as Jumpluff and Swellow. Ice Shard can also be used to KO Altaria, a major threat in the metagame. Eviolite is an amazing item on Piloswine, giving it immense bulk that is almost unsurpassed in the tier, and allows it to check many physical threats such as Golem with ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Piloswine is gifted because it is both strong and bulky, a rare trait in NU. An Adamant nature maximizes Piloswine's power whilst remaining bulky enough to check physical threats in the metagame. Piloswine has cemented itself as one of the premier leads in the tier, as it is able to easily defeat the many common Rock-types that run rampant in NU, such as Golem, Regirock, Armaldo, and even non-offensive Probopass! Wallbreakers such as Emboar and Golurk are amazing teammates for Piloswine, as they can take advantage of Stealth Rock and do massive damage to Pokemon that Piloswine would struggle to damage, such as Musharna. Speaking of Musharna, it is also a great teammate for Piloswine, as it is capable of beating many of Piloswine's counters, such as Simipour, Ludicolo, and Samurott lacking Megahorn. Ludicolo is also a good teammate for Piloswine as it is capable of sweeping if special walls such as Lickilicky are severely weakened. Piloswine's unique typing also allows it to take on the common Choice Scarf Electric-type Pokemon in the tier with ease. Pokemon such as Rotom-S and Zebstrika will fall at the hands of Piloswine, clearing a sweep for Swellow, Samurott, or Gorebyss. Piloswine's poor defensive typing can be used to its advantage, as many opponents believe they will be able to OHKO it with a super effective move, only to be OHKOed in return when they fail to do so. Toxic is an option that can be used instead of Stealth Rock, but should only be considered if there is another Pokemon to set the mighty hazard. Toxic allows Piloswine to touch Pokemon that would otherwise hard counter it such as Alomomola.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Ice Shard
move 4: Stealth Rock / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the tank set, offensive Piloswine is designed to hit as hard and fast as possible. Yet again, Earthquake is Piloswine's most powerful move, dealing ridiculous amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Ice Shard is crucial to this set as it hits really hard, OHKOing threats such as Rotom-S with a little bit of prior damage. Icicle Spear is a great move for defeating the many Pokemon in NU that use Substitute. Icicle Spear can also OHKO many threats that Icicle Crash would not, such as Golem and Amoonguss. However, the more conservative player ought to use Icicle Crash, because the consistent damage can be useful late-game when you can't afford a two or three hit Icicle Spear (the accuracy is a huge letdown though). Stealth Rock is the primary option in the last slot as Piloswine doesn't need coverage outside of its STABs, and it allows Piloswine to support the team even when it cannot contribute offensively. However, if there already is a Pokemon with Stealth Rock on your team, then Stone Edge becomes the best option in the last slot, allowing Piloswine to hit Rotom-F, the only common Pokemon in NU able to wall its STAB combination. Stone Edge is also Piloswine's most powerful option against Armaldo and many other Bug-types, although they will not appreciate being hit by Piloswine's Ice-type STABs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set maximizes Piloswine's Attack and Speed in order to make sweeping easier. Life Orb is preferred as it allows Piloswine to use Ice Shard to KO threats that switch-in and barely survive its other STAB moves, which makes it much more of an offensive threat compared to the Choice Band set. Choice Band is still a viable option if you hate recoil though. This set makes a cool anti-lead because it can potentially OHKO Golem with Icicle Spear through Sturdy, a feat few other Pokemon can accomplish. Superpower can be used to hit Normal-types harder, although the only notable ones where the damage is significant are Lickilicky and Miltank. Gurdurr makes an amazing teammate to this variant of Piloswine, because Piloswine can remove one of the best Gurdurr counters &mdash;Tangela&mdash;from the match with ease. Braviary and Ludicolo are also good partners for Piloswine, as Piloswine can defeat many potential counters to the pair, primarily Rock- and Flying-types, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although Piloswine's best options are outlined above, it still has many tricks up its sleeve that it can potentially take advantage of. Piloswine can use Body Slam to attempt to paralyze the opposing team, although it is quite weak and won't KO anything. The most interesting combination that Piloswine has access to is Endeavor + Stealth Rock + Priority in Ice Shard. This combination is quite rare and can be taken advantage of to remove a Pokemon from the match with ease. However, it is generally outclassed by the tank set which accomplishes the same goal without dying in the process. Piloswine also has Curse, but does not make a good booster because its Special Defense is adequate at best, and poor defensive typing only amplifies this issue. Piloswine can also use Roar and RestTalk, but with the many problems that combination has this generation it is not worth it. Rather, partnering Piloswine with a Wish user would make healing much more reliable. Piloswine is also slow enough to be used on a Trick Room team, but there are many more powerful Pokemon such as Ursaring that should be used instead. Interestingly, Piloswine has access to both Reflect and Light Screen, but does not make a good dual screens user as it must give up its Eviolite to use Light Clay, and there are many better Pokemon for the job.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Alomomola is the best counter to Piloswine in NU, fearing nothing but the very rare Toxic. In return Alomomola can hit Piloswine with a super effective Waterfall, slowly chipping away at Piloswine's HP. Samurott, particularly special attacking variants, can defeat Piloswine with ease, using its STAB super effective Surfs. Other specially based Water-types, such as Simipour, Mantine, and Ludicolo can also remove Piloswine from the match with ease. Gurdurr can easily take on Piloswine, healing its lost HP back with Drain Punch. Musharna can also switch-in on the Tank set and boost with ease, healing with Moonlight when needed. Choice Band Sawk can switch in on the Tank set and OHKO with Close Combat, and while it can revenge kill the Offensive set, it cannot switch in. Misdreavus is immune to Earthquake and can Will-O-Wisp Piloswine and weaken it slowly with Shadow Ball, fearing nothing. Tangela, despite its Ice-type weakness, can take on the Tank set, using Giga Drain and Sleep Powder to defeat it. Eelektross is an interesting counter, as it is not defensive and can not deal significant damage back. Thanks to its Spikes and Ground-type immunity, it can switch in on Piloswine repeatedly during the match, and wear it down with Superpower or Giga Drain.</p>

• Very underrated
  • Despite being one of the best Stealth Rock setters it sits low in usage stats
  • Has amazing offensive typing
  • base 100 attack is really solid
  • Has bulk comparable to Tangela with eviolite factored in
  • Thick Fat is a godsend, letting it tank Fire moves with ease
  • STAB EQ
  • Still kinda slow
  • Ice Shard fixes that

• Stealth Rock is the crux of the set, as Piloswine can setup hazards on almost everything
  • Earthquake is its most powerful STAB option used against rock types, electric types and poison types such as Golem, Ampharos and Garbodor respectively
  • Icicle Spear can break subs, but Icicle Crash is much more consistent
  • Ice Shard is to be used against stuff like Altaria, Jumpluff, Swellow and other significantly weakened mons
  • Eviolite makes it really bulky, like really bulky

• Body Slam
  • Endeavor + Ice Shard
  • Curse
  • Pinch Berries
  • RestTalk
  • TR Sweeper
  • Dual Screens?
  • Roar

[additional comments]
  • strong and bulky
  • adamant hits really hard
  • One of the best leads
  • beats other common stealth rockers
  • Wallbreakers like Emboar and Golurk make good partners because they can weaken things Piloswine cannot. Golurk can also spinblock
  • Musharna can take on many things that can beat this set such such as Samurott
  • Ludicolo is another good teammate because it can sweep once Piloswine has weakened walls such as Lickilicky
  • A more defensive ev spread such as 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef with Impish is viable but very weak
  • Samurott, Swellow, Gorebyss good teammates
  • Deceptively bulky, as it can tank many super effective attacks
  • Poor defensive typing actually lures many attacks it can tank
  • owns Probopass so it makes a good antilead
  • toxic

• Hits ridiculously hard
  • Earthquake is the spamming move of choice, as it does massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it
  • Ice Shard is very powerful and can kill threats that are weak to it like Rotom-S, Swellow, Altaria and Braviary
  • Icicle Spear is for breaking substitutes and is used when you need to do a lot of damage in one turn
  • Icicle Crash is used when you need consistent ice damage, although the accuracy is a letdown
  • Stone Edge can be used to hit Armaldo and Bug-types, but thats about it
  • Piloswine makes one of the best offensive Stealth Rock Pokemon in NU, and is the primary option in the 4th moveslot because of it
[Additional Comments]
  • Max Attack and Speed to maximize sweeping ability
  • LO doesn't hit as hard but can switch moves, which allows for best use of Ice Shard
  • Cool Anti-lead because it can OHKO Golem with icicle spear
  • superpower can hit Lickilicky, miltank, and Rotom-F hard, but thats about it
  • Braviary is a great teammate
  • Ludicolo too
  • Gurdurr since Piloswine can remove tangela from the match

• Alomomola can take everything
  • Samurott can outspeed and OHKO
  • Gurdurr can tank a hit
  • Musharna can too
  • Sawk can revenge kill
  • Ludicolo outspeeds and OHKOs
  • Special water types all make good revenge killers
  • Misdreavus does a great job walling it
  • Tangela can check the first set well
  • Eelektross does good

I need some help for c&c, I'll probably add more to the OP tomorrow but i need a break now. Feel free to make suggestions

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From experience, Toxic is a pretty good alternative to Stealth Rock on the bulky set, if you already have something else to set it up. It lets Piloswine cripple the walls that have the numerical bulk to otherwise take on its attacks. Might just be worth mentioning in the AC for the bulky set.

Also, it'd be cool if you went into a little more depth on what Piloswine actually does. It has the best offensive STAB combo in the game, and the best physical moves of those types, and that really needs to be emphasised as an advantage, particularly for the offensive set. The only things to resist Ice / Ground are Rotom-F, which can't really hit Piloswine that hard either and doesn't use Will o Wisp, Shedinja, and champion Bronzor, which needs to be in C&C for novelty or something. Everything else is hit for neutral damage, meaning that Piloswine actually can sweep through teams if it predicts correctly.

You should also emphasise for the bulky set that Piloswine's bulk is deceptively good, and its defensive typing is deceptively poor, which is actually an advantage. Opponents will often try and use super-effective moves on Piloswine (and Fire moves from noobs), and Piloswine will live them regardless unless they're really powerful (Like Sawk Close Combat or LO Samurott Surf), so Piloswine can take the hit and strike back with Earthquake + Ice Shard. Also point out that it's a Ground-type Pokemon that resists Ice, which is really cool and makes it a good partner for other Ground types in a sort of double-dragon combo, particularly Rock Polish Torterra.

And as usual, it's a Ground type, so mention that it can switch into Probopass with absolute impunity, adding to its usefulness as an anti-lead.

Other than that, just expand on things in general and I'll give this a stamp. It's already been through QC so there don't need to be any changes as such, just more detail.

I don't see the point of having 3 Ice-type moves on the second set. IMO make it Earthquake, Ice Shard, Icicle Spear/Icicle Crash, Superpower, with Stone Edge in AC. Superpower is brilliant against Lickilicky and Miltank, and is more reliable than Stone Edge against Rotom-F. Speaking of which, mention that while it can stop Piloswine's STAB combo, Piloswine in return walls BoltBeam thanks to Thick Fat, and obviously Pilo will always come out on top since it can snipe Rotom-F with Superpower or Stone Edge

I'll expand on this later today, I just wanted to get a skeleton posted. Also Cherub I believe that keeping all 3 ice moves is the best way to go, since they all serve a different purpose. In fact I made a list of every Pokemon in NU that walls the combination:
Rotom-F
Shedinja
Bronzor
Champion Surskit

So really the only relevant one is Rotom-F. I don't believe dropping a consistent move is the best idea, since Rotom-F is low on the usage stats. Superpower doesnt even do much to Miltank since she is faster and can just recover it off, so Superpower really doesn't contribute that much at all.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For now, I'd probably list Eelektross under Checks and Counters since it's immune to Earthquake and can tank Piloswine's Ice moves decently well with its good bulk. It also has Flamethrower or Superpower to dispose of Piloswine.

Another idea we just discussed on IRC was Stealth Rock as the fourth move on the Offensive set; Piloswine forces a lot of switches, meaning it can find a free turn pretty easily. Offensive Stealth Rock users are also a rare sight in NU. In that case, move Icicle Crash as a secondary slash next to Icicle Spear and either keep Stone Edge as an alternative to Stealth Rock or remove it completely (I think it's pretty redundant personally).

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hmmm perhaps Stealth Rock should just go in AC? The reason I say that is obviously Stealth Rock should not be used on Choice Band, plus I like the way the slashes are laid out currently. If not then cbb's idea works too. Stealth Rock should definitely be mentioned somewhere on that set.

k i put SR on the offensive set, since i guess its better than triple ice coverage. I think everything is fully updated now

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Roar on OO perhaps? It's convenient to have a pHazer and if it's hard to squeeze stuff onto your team it can always sac a Ice-type move. Drawbacks are pretty obvious but more viable than pinch berries imo.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Also, superman does good; Eelektross does well. /me grammar nazi

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Careful about what you say with it owning Probopass, as offensive Probo 2HKOes easy with Flash Cannon (so like, don't lead people to believe it's necessarily the best switch-in). It's still a good option against it, though. The SR set is also a remarkably good switch-in to stuff like Rotom-S and Zebstrika, (Air Slash 4HKOes and Overheat does like 36% max at full power) so mentions of a few mons who appreciate them being handled would be excellent. I'm thinking along the lines of Samurott, Swellow, uhhh Gorebyss maybe, anything that's perpetually worried about Scarfers coming in and messing up a sweep. I'm also agreeing that Toxic should be mentioned in the AC of the first set, as it screws with a ton of Pokemon that think they can switch into Piloswine (Alomomola, Tangela, Misdreavus, etc). It can actually live a Scarf Sawk CC if it's at or near full HP, letting it KO with EQ + Ice Shard which is fantastic.

I can't comment as much on the offensive set, not having used it. It looks good, although I'd like to see you expand on why x mon is a good teammate. I can't think of anything else atm (I'll post again if I do) and this looks like a solid skeleton so you've got my approval.

[qc]2/3[/qc]

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Remove
Add
Comment

[Overview]

<p>Piloswine has always been one of the most underrated Pokemon in NU, always being much lower on the usage stats than it should be. Piloswine is one of the best offensive Stealth Rock laying Pokemon in the tier, with its amazing offensive typing that is nearly unresisted in the tier. Piloswine's With a [reptitive, every sentence starts with Piloswine :p] base 100 Attack is quite good in NU, it Piloswine is strong enough to deal significant damage to threats such as Cinccino and Zangoose. Piloswine is also amazing bulky once Eviolite is factored in, with bulk rivaling that of Tangela! Thick Fat is also an amazing ability on Piloswine, allowing it to resist the famous BoltBeam combination. Unfortunately base 50 Speed is still quite slow, so nearly every offensive threat has the potential to outspeed Piloswine.; hHowever, Ice Shard alleviates that.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Piloswine's best set in the current metagame, it capitalizes on Piloswine's offensive and defensive capabilities very well. Stealth Rock is the crux of the set because it allows Piloswine to support the team. With Piloswine's natural bulk it is capable of setting up Stealth Rock on just about any Pokemon in NU. Earthquake is Piloswine's most powerful STAB move, hitting Pokemon such as Ampharos, Garbodor, and Carracosta harder than any other move on the set. Icicle Spear is generally the preferred to Icicle Crash because of the potential power that it has, dealing more damage to threats such as Golem and Amoonguss. Ice Shard gives Piloswine a very valuable priority move - allowing it to revenge kill fast yet frail threats, [comma] such as Jumpluff and Swellow. Ice Shard can also be used to KO Altaria, a major threat in the metagame. Eviolite is an amazing item on Piloswine, giving it immense bulk that is almost unsurpassed in the tier, and can allow it to check many physical threats such as Golem with ease.
</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Piloswine is gifted because it is both strong and bulky, a rare trait in Neverused. An Adamant nature maximizes Piloswine's power whilst remaining bulky enough to check physical threats in the metagame. Piloswine has cemented itself as one of the premier leads in the tier, as it is able to easily defeat the many common Rock-types that run rampant in NU, such as: Golem, Regirock, Armaldo, and even non-offensive Probopass! Wallbreakers such as Emboar and Golurk make amazing teammates for Piloswine, as they are able to abuse take advantage of Stealth Rock and do massive damage to Pokemon that Piloswine would struggle to hurt damage, such as Musharna. Speaking of Musharna, it is also a great teammate for Piloswine. Musharna , as it is capable of beating many of Piloswine's counters, such as: Simipour, Ludicolo and can deal a lot of damage to Samurott. Ludicolo is also a good teammate to Piloswine since it is capable of sweeping if special walls such as Lickilicky are severely weakened. Piloswine's niche typing also allows it to take on the common Electric-type Choice Scarf Pokemon in the tier with ease. Pokemon such as Rotom-S and Zebstrika will fall at the hands of Piloswine, clearing a sweep for Swellow, Samurott, or Gorebyss. Piloswine's poor defensive typing can be used to its advantage, as many opponents believe they will be able to OHKO it with a super-effective [no hyphen] move, only to be OHKOed in return when they fail to do so. Toxic is an option that can be used instead of Stealth Rock, but should only be considered if you have there is another Pokemon to set the mighty hazard. Toxic allows Piloswine to hurt Pokemon that would otherwise hard counter it such as Alomomola.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the Tank set, this offensive Piloswine is designed to hit as hard and fast as possible. Yet again, Earthquake is Piloswine's most powerful move, doing ridiculous amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Ice Shard is crucial to this set since it hits really hard, OHKOing threats such as Rotom-S with a little bit of prior damage. Icicle Spear is a great move for defeating the many Pokemon in NU who use the move Substitute. Icicle Spear can also OHKO many threats that Icicle Crash would not, such as Golem and Amoonguss. Although the more conservative player ought to use Icicle Crash, since the consistent damage can be useful late-game when you can't afford a two or three hit Icicle Spear, the accuracy is a huge letdown though. Stealth Rock is the primary option in the last slot since Piloswine doesn't need coverage outside of its STABs, and it allows Piloswine to support the team even when it can not contribute much offensively. However, if you there already is have a Pokemon with Stealth Rock on your team, then Stone Edge becomes the best option in the last slotw, allowing Piloswine to hit Rotom-F, the only common Pokemon in NU to wall its STAB combination. Stone Edge is also Piloswine's most powerful option against Armaldo and many other Bug-types, although they will not appreciate being hit by Piloswine's Ice-type STABs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set maximizes Piloswine's Attack and Speed in order to make sweeping easier. Life Orb is preferred since it allows Piloswine to use Ice Shard to KO threats that switch-in [hyphen] and barely survive its other STAB moves, making it much more of an offensive threat compared to the Choice Band set. Choice Band is still a viable option if you hate recoil though. This set makes a cool anti-lead [hyphen] since it can potentially OHKO Golem with Icicle Spear through Sturdy, a feat few other Pokemon can accomplish. Superpower can be used to hit Normal-types harder., although tThe only notable ones where the damage is significant are Lickilicky and Miltank though. Gurdurr makes an amazing teammate to this version of Piloswine since Piloswine can remove one of the best Gurdurr counters, Tangela, from the match with ease. Braviary and Ludicolo also make good partners to Piloswine, since Piloswine can defeat many potential counters to the pair, primarily Ground- and Normal-types, [comma] respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although Piloswine's best options were outlined above, it still has many tricks up its sleeve that it can potentially take advantage of. Piloswine can use Body Slam to attempt to paralyze the opposing team, although it is quite weak and won't KO anything. The most interesting combination that Piloswine has access too is Endeavor + Stealth Rock + Priority in Ice Shard. This combination is quite rare and can be taken advantage of to remove a Pokemon from the match with ease. However, it is generally outclassed by the tank set which accomplishes the same goal without dying in the process. Piloswine also has Curse, but does not make a good booster since its Special Defense is adequate at best, and poor defensive typing only amplifies this issue. Piloswine can also use Roar and RestTalk, but with the many issues that combination has had this generation it is not worth it, partnering Piloswine with a Wish user would make healing a lot more reliable. Piloswine is also slow enough to be used on a Trick Room team, but there are many more powerful Pokemon such as Ursaring that you should be using instead. Interestingly, Piloswine has access to both Reflect and Light Screen, but does not make a good dual screener since it must give up its Eviolite to use Light Clay, and there are many better Pokemon for the job.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Alomomola is the best counter to Piloswine in NU, fearing nothing but the very rare Toxic. In return Alomomola can hit Piloswine with a Ssuper Eeffective Waterfall, slowly chipping away at Piloswine's HP. Samurott, particularly the Special Attacking variant, can defeat Piloswine with ease, using its STAB Ssuper Eeffective Surfs. Other specially based Water-types, such as Simipour, Mantine, and Ludicolo can also remove Piloswine from the match with ease. Gurdurr can also take on Piloswine, healing a lot of its HP back with Drain Punch. Musharna can also switchin [hyphen] on the Tank set and boost with ease, healing with Moonlight when needed. Choice Band Sawk can switch in on the Tank set and OHKO with Close Combat, and can revenge kill the Offensive set, but can not switchin [hyphen]. Misdreavus is immune to Earthquake and can Will-O-Wisp Piloswine and weaken it slowly with Shadow Ball, fearing nothing. Tangela, despite its Ice-type weakness, can take on the Tank set, using Giga Drain and Sleep Powder to defeat it. Eelektross is an interesting counter, as it is not defensive and can not deal significant damage back. Yet, due to its Spikes and Ground-type immunity, it can switch in on Piloswine repeatedly during the match, and wear it down with Superpower or Giga Drain.</p>

Much better job this time around! =]

Amateur check, go! This will be my very first, so I apologize if I've made any glaring mistakes.

Remove
Add
(Comments)

Piloswine

[Overview]

<p>Piloswine has always been one of the most underrated Pokemon in NU, always consistently (as has already been mentioned, there are slight repetition issues) being much lower on the usage stats than it should be. Piloswine is one of the best offensive Stealth Rock laying Pokemon setters in the tier, with its amazing unique (the word "amazing" is used an amazing amount of times in this overview) offensive typing that is nearly unresisted in the tier NU (repetition). With a solid base 100 Attack, Piloswine is strong enough to deal significant damage to threats such as Cinccino and Zangoose. Piloswine is also amazingly bulky once Eviolite is factored in, with bulk defenses (repetition) rivaling that of Tangela! Additionally, Thick Fat is also (an introductory word let's this transition happen easier) an amazing a very useful ability on Piloswine, allowing it to resist the famous BoltBeam combination. Unfortunately, base 50 Speed is still quite slow, so nearly every offensive threat has the potential to outspeed Piloswine; however, Ice Shard alleviates that.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Piloswine's best set in the current metagame, as it capitalizes on Piloswine's offensive and defensive capabilities very well. Stealth Rock is the crux of the set because it allows Piloswine to support the team. With Piloswine's natural bulk it is capable of setting up Stealth Rock on just about any Pokemon in NU. Earthquake is Piloswine's most powerful STAB move, hitting Pokemon such as Ampharos, Garbodor, and Carracosta harder than any other move on the set. Icicle Spear is generally the preferred to over Icicle Crash because of the potential power that it has, dealing more damage to threats such as Golem and Amoonguss. Ice Shard gives Piloswine a very valuable priority move - allowing it to revenge kill fast yet frail threats, such as Jumpluff and Swellow. Ice Shard can also be used to KO Altaria, a major threat in the metagame. Eviolite is an amazing item on Piloswine, giving it immense bulk that is almost unsurpassed in the tier, and can allow it to check many physical threats such as Golem with ease.
</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Piloswine is gifted because it is both strong and bulky, a rare trait in Neverused. An Adamant nature maximizes Piloswine's power whilst remaining bulky enough to check physical threats in the metagame. Piloswine has cemented itself as one of the premier leads in the tier, as it is able to easily defeat the many common Rock-types that run rampant in NU, such as: (I'm honestly not sure if the colons are necessary) Golem, Regirock, Armaldo, and even non-offensive Probopass! Wallbreakers such as Emboar and Golurk make amazing teammates for Piloswine, as they are able to take advantage of Stealth Rock and do massive damage to Pokemon that Piloswine would struggle to damage, such as Musharna. Speaking of Musharna, it is also a great teammate for Piloswine, as it is capable of beating many of Piloswine's counters, such as: Simipour, Ludicolo, and can deal a lot of damage to Samurott lacking Megahorn. Ludicolo is also a good teammate to Piloswine since it is capable of sweeping if special walls that Piloswine can heavily damage such as Lickilicky are severely weakened. Piloswine's niche typing also allows it to take on the common Electric-type Choice Scarf Pokemon in the tier with ease. Pokemon such as Rotom-S and Zebstrika will fall at the hands of Piloswine, clearing a sweep for Swellow, Samurott, or Gorebyss. Piloswine's poor defensive typing can be used to its advantage, as many opponents believe they will be able to OHKO it with a super effective move, only to be OHKOed in return when they fail to do so. Toxic is an option that can be used instead of Stealth Rock, but should only be considered if there is another Pokemon to set the mighty hazard. Toxic allows Piloswine to hurt Pokemon that would otherwise hard counter it such as Alomomola.(Considering Stealth Rock is the "crux of the set," I don't think you should suggest replacing it with another move. However, this is up to you.)</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the Tank set, this (unnecessary?) offensive Piloswine is designed to hit as hard and fast as possible. Yet again, Earthquake is Piloswine's most powerful move, doing ridiculous amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Ice Shard is crucial to this set since it hits really hard, OHKOing threats such as Rotom-S with a little bit of prior damage. Icicle Spear is a great move for defeating the many Pokemon in NU who use the move Substitute. Icicle Spear can also OHKO many threats that Icicle Crash would not, such as Golem and Amoonguss. Although However, the more conservative player ought to use Icicle Crash, since the consistent damage can be useful late-game when you can't afford a two or three hit Icicle Spear, (the accuracy is a huge letdown though). Stealth Rock is the primary option in the last slot since Piloswine doesn't need coverage outside of its STABs, and it allows Piloswine to support the team even when it can not cannot contribute much offensively. However, if there already is a Pokemon with Stealth Rock on your team, then Stone Edge becomes the best option in the last slot, allowing Piloswine to hit Rotom-F, the only common Pokemon in NU able to wall its STAB combination. Stone Edge is also Piloswine's most powerful option against Armaldo and many other Bug-types, although they will not appreciate being hit by Piloswine's Ice-type STABs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set maximizes Piloswine's Attack and Speed in order to make sweeping easier. Life Orb is preferred since it allows Piloswine to use Ice Shard to KO threats that switch-in and barely survive its other STAB moves, making it much more of an offensive threat compared to the a Choice Band set. Choice Band is still a viable option if you hate recoil though. This set makes a cool anti-lead since it can potentially OHKO Golem with Icicle Spear through Sturdy, a feat few other Pokemon can accomplish. Superpower can be used to hit Normal-types harder, although the only notable ones where the damage is significant are Lickilicky and Miltank. Gurdurr makes an amazing teammate to this version of Piloswine since Piloswine can remove one of the best Gurdurr counters, Tangela, from the match with ease. Braviary and Ludicolo also make good partners to Piloswine, since Piloswine can defeat many potential counters to the pair, primarily Ground and Normal-types respectively. (Aren't Rock and Flying-types a bigger issue for Braviary and Ludicolo than Ground and Normal-types? You could change that and the sentence would still make sense as Piloswine still beats most Rock and Flying-types in the tier. I could just be misunderstanding that part though.)</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although Piloswine's best options were outlined above, it still has many tricks up its sleeve that it can potentially take advantage of. Piloswine can use Body Slam to attempt to paralyze the opposing team, although it is quite weak and won't KO anything. The most interesting combination that Piloswine has access too is Endeavor + Stealth Rock + Priority in Ice Shard. This combination is quite rare and can be taken advantage of to remove a Pokemon from the match with ease. However, it is generally outclassed by the tank set which accomplishes the same goal without dying in the process. Piloswine also has Curse, but does not make a good booster since its Special Defense is adequate at best, and poor defensive typing only amplifies this issue. Piloswine can also use Roar and RestTalk, but with the many issues problems (you just said "issue" in the previous sentence, but this isn't that big of an... issue) that combination has had this generation it is not worth it,. partnering Partnering Piloswine with a Wish user would make healing a lot much ("a lot" makes me cringe whenever I see it, and can typically be replaced by better words) more reliable. Piloswine is also slow enough to be used on a Trick Room team, but there are many more powerful Pokemon such as Ursaring that you should be using instead. Interestingly, Piloswine has access to both Reflect and Light Screen, but does not make a good dual screener since it must give up its Eviolite to use Light Clay, and there are many better Pokemon for the job.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Alomomola is the best counter to Piloswine in NU, fearing nothing but the very rare Toxic. In return Alomomola can hit Piloswine with a super effective Waterfall, slowly chipping away at Piloswine's HP. Samurott, particularly the Special Attacking variant, can defeat Piloswine with ease, using its STAB super effective Surfs. Other specially based Water-types, such as Simipour, Mantine, and Ludicolo can also remove Piloswine from the match with ease. Gurdurr can also easily (repetition) take on Piloswine, healing a lot of its lost HP back with Drain Punch. Musharna can also switch-in on the Tank set and boost with ease, healing with Moonlight when needed. Choice Band Sawk can switch-in on the Tank set and OHKO with Close Combat, and while it can can revenge kill the Offensive set, but it can not cannot switch in. Misdreavus is immune to Earthquake and can Will-O-Wisp Piloswine and weaken it slowly with Shadow Ball, fearing nothing. Tangela, despite its Ice-type weakness, can take on the Tank set, using Giga Drain and Sleep Powder to defeat it. Eelektross is an interesting counter, as it is not defensive and can not deal significant damage back. Yet, due Due to its Spikes and Ground-type immunity, it can switch in on Piloswine repeatedly during the match, and wear it down with Superpower or Giga Drain.</p>

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Checking this again!

Add
Remove
Comment

[Overview]

<p>Piloswine has always been one of the most underrated Pokemon in NU, consistently being much lower on the usage stats than it should be. Piloswine is one of the best offensive Stealth Rock setters users in NU, with its unique offensive typing that is nearly unresisted in the tier. With a solid base 100 Attack, Piloswine is strong enough to deal significant damage to threats such as Cinccino and Zangoose. Piloswine is also amazingly bulky once Eviolite is factored in, with defenses rivaling that of Tangela! Additionally, Thick Fat is a very useful ability on Piloswine, allowing it to resist the famous BoltBeam combination. Unfortunately base 50 Speed is still quite slow, so nearly every offensive threat has the potential to outspeed Piloswine; however, Ice Shard alleviates thisat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Piloswine's best set in the current metagame, as it capitalizes on Piloswine's offensive and defensive capabilities very well. Stealth Rock is the crux of the set because it allows Piloswine to support the team. With Piloswine's natural bulk, Comma it is capable of setting up Stealth Rock on just about any Pokemon in NU. Earthquake is Piloswine's most powerful strongest STAB move attack, hitting damaging Pokemon such as Ampharos, Garbodor, and Carracosta harder than any other move on the set. Icicle Spear is generally preferred over Icicle Crash because of the potential power that it has, dealing more damage to threats such as Golem and Amoonguss. Ice Shard gives Piloswine a very valuable priority move - allowing it to revenge kill fast yet frail threats, such as Jumpluff and Swellow. Ice Shard can also be used to KO Altaria, a major threat in the metagame. Eviolite is an amazing item on Piloswine, giving it immense bulk that is almost unsurpassed in the tier, and can allows it to check many physical threats such as Golem with ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Piloswine is gifted because it is both strong and bulky, a rare trait in NUeverused. An Adamant nature maximizes Piloswine's power whilst remaining bulky enough to check physical threats in the metagame. Piloswine has cemented itself as one of the premier leads in the tier, as it is able to easily defeat the many common Rock-types that run rampant in NU, such as Golem, Regirock, Armaldo, and even non-offensive Probopass! Wallbreakers such as Emboar and Golurk make are amazing teammates for Piloswine, as they can are able to take advantage of Stealth Rock and do massive damage to Pokemon that Piloswine would struggle to damage, such as Musharna. Speaking of Musharna, it is also a great teammate for Piloswine, as it is capable of beating many of Piloswine's counters, such as Simipour, Ludicolo, and Samurott lacking Megahorn. Ludicolo is also a good teammate tfor Piloswine since as it is capable of sweeping if special walls that Piloswine can heavily damage such as Lickilicky are severely weakened. Piloswine's niche typing also allows it to take on the common Choice Scarf Electric-type Choice Scarf Pokemon in the tier with ease. Pokemon such as Rotom-S and Zebstrika will fall at the hands of Piloswine, clearing a sweep for Swellow, Samurott, or Gorebyss. Piloswine's poor defensive typing can be used to its advantage, as many opponents believe they will be able to OHKO it with a super effective move, only to be OHKOed in return when they fail to do so. Toxic is an option that can be used instead of Stealth Rock, but should only be considered if there is another Pokemon to set the mighty hazard. Toxic allows Piloswine to hurt touch Pokemon that would otherwise hard counter it such as Alomomola.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the Tank set, offensive Piloswine is designed to hit as hard and fast as possible. Yet again, Earthquake is Piloswine's most powerful move, dealingoing ridiculous amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Ice Shard is crucial to this set since as it hits really hard, OHKOing threats such as Rotom-S with a little bit of prior damage. Icicle Spear is a great move for defeating the many Pokemon in NU who that use the move Substitute. Icicle Spear can also OHKO many threats that Icicle Crash would not, such as Golem and Amoonguss. However, the more conservative player ought to use Icicle Crash, since because the consistent damage can be useful late-game when you can't afford a two or three hit Icicle Spear (the accuracy is a huge letdown though). Stealth Rock is the primary option in the last slot since as Piloswine doesn't need coverage outside of its STABs, and it allows Piloswine to support the team even when it cannot contribute much offensively. However, if there already is a Pokemon with Stealth Rock on your team, then Stone Edge becomes the best option in the last slot, allowing Piloswine to hit Rotom-F, the only common Pokemon in NU able to wall its STAB combination. Stone Edge is also Piloswine's most powerful option against Armaldo and many other Bug-types, although they will not appreciate being hit by Piloswine's Ice-type STABs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set maximizes Piloswine's Attack and Speed in order to make sweeping easier. Life Orb is preferred since as it allows Piloswine to use Ice Shard to KO threats that switch-in and barely survive its other STAB moves, which makesing it much more of an offensive threat compared to the Choice Band set. Choice Band is still a viable option if you hate recoil though. This set makes a cool anti-lead since because it can potentially OHKO Golem with Icicle Spear through Sturdy, a feat few other Pokemon can accomplish. Superpower can be used to hit Normal-types harder, although the only notable ones where the damage is significant are Lickilicky and Miltank. Gurdurr makes an amazing teammate to this variant version of Piloswine, because since Piloswine can remove one of the best Gurdurr counters, Tangela, from the match with ease. Braviary and Ludicolo are also make good partners tfor Piloswine, since as Piloswine can defeat many potential counters to the pair, primarily Rock- and Flying-types, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although Piloswine's best options were are outlined above, it still has many tricks up its sleeve that it can potentially take advantage of. Piloswine can use Body Slam to attempt to paralyze the opposing team, although it is quite weak and won't KO anything. The most interesting combination that Piloswine has access too is Endeavor + Stealth Rock + Priority in Ice Shard. This combination is quite rare and can be taken advantage of to remove a Pokemon from the match with ease. However, it is generally outclassed by the tank set which accomplishes the same goal without dying in the process. Piloswine also has Curse, but does not make a good booster since because its Special Defense is adequate at best, and poor defensive typing only amplifies this issue. Piloswine can also use Roar and RestTalk, but with the many problems that combination has had this generation it is not worth it. Rather, pPartnering Piloswine with a Wish user would make healing much more reliable. Piloswine is also slow enough to be used on a Trick Room team, but there are many more powerful Pokemon such as Ursaring that you should be useding instead. Interestingly, Piloswine has access to both Reflect and Light Screen, but does not make a good dual screener since as it must give up its Eviolite to use Light Clay, and there are many better Pokemon for the job.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Alomomola is the best counter to Piloswine in NU, fearing nothing but the very rare Toxic. In return Alomomola can hit Piloswine with a super effective Waterfall, slowly chipping away at Piloswine's HP. Samurott, particularly the Special Attacking variant, can defeat Piloswine with ease, using its STAB super effective Surfs. Other specially based Water-types, such as Simipour, Mantine, and Ludicolo can also remove Piloswine from the match with ease. Gurdurr can easily take on Piloswine, healing its lost HP back with Drain Punch. Musharna can also switch-in on the Tank set and boost with ease, healing with Moonlight when needed. Choice Band Sawk can switch-No hyphenin on the Tank set and OHKO with Close Combat, and while it can can revenge kill the Offensive set, it cannot switch in. Misdreavus is immune to Earthquake and can Will-O-Wisp Piloswine and weaken it slowly with Shadow Ball, fearing nothing. Tangela, despite its Ice-type weakness, can take on the Tank set, using Giga Drain and Sleep Powder to defeat it. Eelektross is an interesting counter, as it is not defensive and can not deal significant damage back. Due Thanks to its Spikes and Ground-type immunity, it can switch in on Piloswine repeatedly during the match, and wear it down with Superpower or Giga Drain.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Piloswine has always been one of the most underrated Pokemon in NU, consistently being much lower on the usage stats than it should be. Piloswine is one of the best offensive Stealth Rock users in NU, with its unique offensive typing that is nearly unresisted in the tier. With a solid base 100 Attack, Piloswine is strong enough to deal significant damage to threats such as Cinccino and Zangoose. Piloswine is also amazingly bulky once Eviolite is factored in, with defenses rivaling that of Tangela! Additionally, Thick Fat is a very useful ability on Piloswine, allowing it to resist the famous BoltBeam combination. Unfortunately base 50 Speed is quite slow, so nearly every offensive threat has the potential to outspeed Piloswine; however, Ice Shard alleviates this.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Piloswine's best set in the current metagame, as it capitalizes on Piloswine's offensive and defensive capabilities very well. Stealth Rock is the crux of the set because it allows Piloswine to support the team. With Piloswine's natural bulk, it is capable of setting up Stealth Rock on just about any Pokemon in NU. Earthquake is Piloswine's strongest STAB attack, damaging Pokemon such as Ampharos, Garbodor, and Carracosta harder than any other move on the set. Icicle Spear is generally preferred over Icicle Crash because of the potential power that it has, dealing more damage to threats such as Golem and Amoonguss. Ice Shard gives Piloswine a very valuable priority move - allowing it to revenge kill fast yet frail threats, such as Jumpluff and Swellow. Ice Shard can also be used to KO Altaria, a major threat in the metagame. Eviolite is an amazing item on Piloswine, giving it immense bulk that is almost unsurpassed in the tier, and allows it to check many physical threats such as Golem with ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Piloswine is gifted because it is both strong and bulky, a rare trait in NU. An Adamant nature maximizes Piloswine's power whilst remaining bulky enough to check physical threats in the metagame. Piloswine has cemented itself as one of the premier leads in the tier, as it is able to easily defeat the many common Rock-types that run rampant in NU, such as Golem, Regirock, Armaldo, and even non-offensive Probopass! Wallbreakers such as Emboar and Golurk are amazing teammates for Piloswine, as they can advantage of Stealth Rock and do massive damage to Pokemon that Piloswine would struggle to damage, such as Musharna. Speaking of Musharna, it is also a great teammate for Piloswine, as it is capable of beating many of Piloswine's counters, such as Simipour, Ludicolo, and Samurott lacking Megahorn. Ludicolo is also a good teammate for Piloswine as it is capable of sweeping if special walls such as Lickilicky are severely weakened. Piloswine's niche typing also allows it to take on the common Choice Scarf Electric-type Pokemon in the tier with ease. Pokemon such as Rotom-S and Zebstrika will fall at the hands of Piloswine, clearing a sweep for Swellow, Samurott, or Gorebyss. Piloswine's poor defensive typing can be used to its advantage, as many opponents believe they will be able to OHKO it with a super effective move, only to be OHKOed in return when they fail to do so. Toxic is an option that can be used instead of Stealth Rock, but should only be considered if there is another Pokemon to set the mighty hazard. Toxic allows Piloswine to touch Pokemon that would otherwise hard counter it such as Alomomola.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the Tank set, offensive Piloswine is designed to hit as hard and fast as possible. Yet again, Earthquake is Piloswine's most powerful move, dealing ridiculous amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Ice Shard is crucial to this set as it hits really hard, OHKOing threats such as Rotom-S with a little bit of prior damage. Icicle Spear is a great move for defeating the many Pokemon in NU that use the move Substitute. Icicle Spear can also OHKO many threats that Icicle Crash would not, such as Golem and Amoonguss. However, the more conservative player ought to use Icicle Crash, because the consistent damage can be useful late-game when you can't afford a two or three hit Icicle Spear (the accuracy is a huge letdown though). Stealth Rock is the primary option in the last slot as Piloswine doesn't need coverage outside of its STABs, and it allows Piloswine to support the team even when it cannot contribute offensively. However, if there already is a Pokemon with Stealth Rock on your team, then Stone Edge becomes the best option in the last slot, allowing Piloswine to hit Rotom-F, the only common Pokemon in NU able to wall its STAB combination. Stone Edge is also Piloswine's most powerful option against Armaldo and many other Bug-types, although they will not appreciate being hit by Piloswine's Ice-type STABs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set maximizes Piloswine's Attack and Speed in order to make sweeping easier. Life Orb is preferred as it allows Piloswine to use Ice Shard to KO threats that switch-in and barely survive its other STAB moves, which makes it much more of an offensive threat compared to the Choice Band set. Choice Band is still a viable option if you hate recoil though. This set makes a cool anti-lead because it can potentially OHKO Golem with Icicle Spear through Sturdy, a feat few other Pokemon can accomplish. Superpower can be used to hit Normal-types harder, although the only notable ones where the damage is significant are Lickilicky and Miltank. Gurdurr makes an amazing teammate to this variant of Piloswine, because Piloswine can remove one of the best Gurdurr counters, Tangela, from the match with ease. Braviary and Ludicolo are also good partners for Piloswine, as Piloswine can defeat many potential counters to the pair, primarily Rock- and Flying-types, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although Piloswine's best options are outlined above, it still has many tricks up its sleeve that it can potentially take advantage of. Piloswine can use Body Slam to attempt to paralyze the opposing team, although it is quite weak and won't KO anything. The most interesting combination that Piloswine has access to is Endeavor + Stealth Rock + Priority in Ice Shard. This combination is quite rare and can be taken advantage of to remove a Pokemon from the match with ease. However, it is generally outclassed by the tank set which accomplishes the same goal without dying in the process. Piloswine also has Curse, but does not make a good booster because its Special Defense is adequate at best, and poor defensive typing only amplifies this issue. Piloswine can also use Roar and RestTalk, but with the many problems that combination has this generation it is not worth it. Rather, partnering Piloswine with a Wish user would make healing much more reliable. Piloswine is also slow enough to be used on a Trick Room team, but there are many more powerful Pokemon such as Ursaring that should be used instead. Interestingly, Piloswine has access to both Reflect and Light Screen, but does not make a good dual screener as it must give up its Eviolite to use Light Clay, and there are many better Pokemon for the job.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Alomomola is the best counter to Piloswine in NU, fearing nothing but the very rare Toxic. In return Alomomola can hit Piloswine with a super effective Waterfall, slowly chipping away at Piloswine's HP. Samurott, particularly the Special Attacking variant, can defeat Piloswine with ease, using its STAB super effective Surfs. Other specially based Water-types, such as Simipour, Mantine, and Ludicolo can also remove Piloswine from the match with ease. Gurdurr can easily take on Piloswine, healing its lost HP back with Drain Punch. Musharna can also switch-in on the Tank set and boost with ease, healing with Moonlight when needed. Choice Band Sawk can switch in on the Tank set and OHKO with Close Combat, and while it can revenge kill the Offensive set, it cannot switch in. Misdreavus is immune to Earthquake and can Will-O-Wisp Piloswine and weaken it slowly with Shadow Ball, fearing nothing. Tangela, despite its Ice-type weakness, can take on the Tank set, using Giga Drain and Sleep Powder to defeat it. Eelektross is an interesting counter, as it is not defensive and can not deal significant damage back. Thanks to its Spikes and Ground-type immunity, it can switch in on Piloswine repeatedly during the match, and wear it down with Superpower or Giga Drain.</p>

Good job Raseri!

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
placeholder blah

[Overview]

<p>Piloswine has always been one of the most underrated Pokemon in NU, consistently being much lower on the usage stats than it should be. Piloswine is one of the best offensive Stealth Rock users in NU, with its unique offensive typing that is nearly unresisted in the tier. With a solid base 100 Attack, Piloswine is strong enough to deal significant damage to threats such as Cinccino and Zangoose. Piloswine is also amazingly bulky once Eviolite is factored in, with defenses rivaling that of Tangela! Additionally, Thick Fat is a very useful ability on Piloswine, allowing it to resist the famous BoltBeam combination. Unfortunately, base 50 Speed is quite slow, so nearly every offensive threat has the potential to outspeed Piloswine; however, Ice Shard alleviates this.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Piloswine's best set in the current metagame, as it capitalizes on Piloswine's offensive and defensive capabilities very well. Stealth Rock is the crux of the set because it allows Piloswine to support the team. With Piloswine's natural bulk, it is capable of setting up Stealth Rock on just about any Pokemon in NU. Earthquake is Piloswine's strongest STAB attack, damaging Pokemon such as Ampharos, Garbodor, and Carracosta harder than any other move on the set. Icicle Spear is generally preferred over Icicle Crash because of the potential power that it has, dealing more damage to threats such as Golem and Amoonguss. Ice Shard gives Piloswine a very valuable priority move - , <add comma> allowing it to revenge kill fast yet frail threats, such as Jumpluff and Swellow. Ice Shard can also be used to KO Altaria, a major threat in the metagame. Eviolite is an amazing item on Piloswine, giving it immense bulk that is almost unsurpassed in the tier, and allows it to check many physical threats such as Golem with ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Piloswine is gifted because it is both strong and bulky, a rare trait in NU. An Adamant nature maximizes Piloswine's power whilst remaining bulky enough to check physical threats in the metagame. Piloswine has cemented itself as one of the premier leads in the tier, as it is able to easily defeat the many common Rock-types that run rampant in NU, such as Golem, Regirock, Armaldo, and even non-offensive Probopass! Wallbreakers such as Emboar and Golurk are amazing teammates for Piloswine, as they can take advantage of Stealth Rock and do massive damage to Pokemon that Piloswine would struggle to damage, such as Musharna. Speaking of Musharna, it is also a great teammate for Piloswine, as it is capable of beating many of Piloswine's counters, such as Simipour, Ludicolo, and Samurott lacking Megahorn. Ludicolo is also a good teammate for Piloswine, as it is capable of sweeping if special walls such as Lickilicky are severely weakened. Piloswine's niche unique typing also allows it to take on the common Choice Scarf Electric-type Pokemon in the tier with ease. Pokemon such as Rotom-S and Zebstrika will fall at the hands of Piloswine, clearing a sweep for Swellow, Samurott, or Gorebyss. Piloswine's poor defensive typing can be used to its advantage, as many opponents believe they will be able to OHKO it with a super effective move, only to be OHKOed in return when they fail to do so. Toxic is an option that can be used instead of Stealth Rock, but should only be considered if there is another Pokemon to set the mighty hazard. Toxic allows Piloswine to touch Pokemon that would otherwise hard counter it such as Alomomola.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the T tank set, offensive Piloswine is designed to hit as hard and fast as possible. Yet again, Earthquake is Piloswine's most powerful move, dealing ridiculous amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Ice Shard is crucial to this set, as it hits really hard, OHKOing threats such as Rotom-S with a little bit of prior damage. Icicle Spear is a great move for defeating the many Pokemon in NU that use the move Substitute. Icicle Spear can also OHKO many threats that Icicle Crash would not, such as Golem and Amoonguss. However, the more conservative player ought to use Icicle Crash, because the consistent damage can be useful late-game when you can't afford a two- or three-hit Icicle Spear (the accuracy is a huge letdown though). Stealth Rock is the primary option in the last slot, as Piloswine doesn't need coverage outside of its STABs, and it allows Piloswine to support the team even when it cannot contribute offensively. However, if there already is a Pokemon with Stealth Rock on your team, then Stone Edge becomes the best option in the last slot, allowing Piloswine to hit Rotom-F, the only common Pokemon in NU able to wall its STAB combination. Stone Edge is also Piloswine's most powerful option against Armaldo and many other Bug-types, although they will not appreciate being hit by Piloswine's Ice-type STABs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set maximizes Piloswine's Attack and Speed in order to make sweeping easier. Life Orb is preferred, as it allows Piloswine to use Ice Shard to KO threats that switch-in and barely survive its other STAB moves, which makes it much more of an offensive threat compared to the Choice Band set. Choice Band is still a viable option if you hate recoil though. This set makes a cool anti-lead because it can potentially OHKO Golem with Icicle Spear through Sturdy, a feat few other Pokemon can accomplish. Superpower can be used to hit Normal-types harder, although the only notable ones where the damage is significant are Lickilicky and Miltank. Gurdurr makes an amazing teammate to this variant of Piloswine, because Piloswine can remove one of the best Gurdurr counters, Tangela, from the match with ease. Braviary and Ludicolo are also good partners for Piloswine, as Piloswine can defeat many potential counters to the pair, primarily Rock- and Flying-types, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although Piloswine's best options are outlined above, it still has many tricks up its sleeve that it can potentially take advantage of. Piloswine can use Body Slam to attempt to paralyze the opposing team, although it is quite weak and won't KO anything. The most interesting combination that Piloswine has access to is Endeavor + Stealth Rock + Priority in Ice Shard. This combination is quite rare and can be taken advantage of to remove a Pokemon from the match with ease. However, it is generally outclassed by the tank set which accomplishes the same goal without dying in the process. Piloswine also has Curse, but does not make a good booster because its Special Defense is adequate at best, and poor defensive typing only amplifies this issue. Piloswine can also use Roar and RestTalk, but with the many problems that combination has this generation it is not worth it. Rather, partnering Piloswine with a Wish user would make healing much more reliable. Piloswine is also slow enough to be used on a Trick Room team, but there are many more powerful Pokemon such as Ursaring that should be used instead. Interestingly, Piloswine has access to both Reflect and Light Screen, but does not make a good dual screener as it must give up its Eviolite to use Light Clay, and there are many better Pokemon for the job.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Alomomola is the best counter to Piloswine in NU, fearing nothing but the very rare Toxic. In return, Alomomola can hit Piloswine with a super effective Waterfall, slowly chipping away at Piloswine's HP. Samurott, particularly the Special Attacking variant, can defeat Piloswine with ease, using its STAB super effective Surfs. Other specially based Water-types, such as Simipour, Mantine, and Ludicolo, can also remove Piloswine from the match with ease. Gurdurr can easily take on Piloswine, healing its lost HP back with Drain Punch. Musharna can also switch-in just add a space there on the Tank set and boost with ease, healing with Moonlight when needed. Choice Band Sawk can switch in on the Tank set and OHKO with Close Combat, and while it can revenge kill the Offensive set, it cannot switch in. Misdreavus is immune to Earthquake and can Will-O-Wisp Piloswine and weaken it slowly with Shadow Ball, fearing nothing. Tangela, despite its Ice-type weakness, can take on the Tank set, using Giga Drain and Sleep Powder to defeat it. Eelektross is an interesting counter, as it is not defensive and can not deal significant damage back. Thanks to its Spikes and Ground-type immunity, it can switch in on Piloswine repeatedly during the match, and wear it down with Superpower or Giga Drain.</p>

and done

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Was going over Redew's check with him on IRC, but he had to go before we were done so I'll just finish up here.

offensive set comments said:
Icicle Spear is a great move for defeating the many Pokemon in NU that use the move Substitute.
offensive ac said:
Piloswine can remove one of the best Gurdurr counters,&mdash;Tangela,&mdash;from the match with ease.
oo said:
The most interesting combination that Piloswine has access to is Endeavor + Stealth Rock + priority in Ice Shard.
oo said:
and its poor defensive typing only amplifies this issue.
oo said:
but does not make a good dual screeners user as it must give up its Eviolite to use Light Clay
checks and counters said:
Samurott, particularly the special sttacking variants, can defeat Piloswine with ease
Implement these and Redew's check, and you can consider this
[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)