Pineco (Analysis) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Zebraiken said:
If you intend to reserve an NFE Pokemon that does not exist on this list or to write up a new set, you do not need to post here. Simply post your skeleton when it is ready and be sure to include vigorous reasoning behind the usage of this Pokemon or set (logs/replay links would be excellent). Also, be aware that if said NFE Pokemon has an evolution that's currently in NU, we will be incredibly hard-pressed to actually approve it.
I hyped Pineco a lot in the Viability Rankings, and since he's D-Rank now, figured he needs an analysis. :) Unfortunately, I don't have any replays, but I have definitely tested out Pineco for myself and confirmed it is viable.

Right now I have two sets planned out, but I'll wait to see if QC gives either one the boot before working on the whole thing. So, without further ado...

Suicidal Thoughts
[Overview]
  • Access to all three forms of hazards + Rapid Spin
  • Combined w/ Sturdy gives it a great niche in getting up early-game hazards/emergency spins quickly
  • Competition from other, faster, stronger suicide leads (Golem, Scolipede)
  • Unique niche on HO teams though, and shouldn’t be ignored
[SET]
name: Custap Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
move 3: Rapid Spin
move 4: Bug Bite / Endure
item: Custap Berry
ability: Sturdy
nature: Hasty
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Suicide lead; capable of getting up multiple hazards at the beginning of the game
  • Access to multiple hazards on a set separates it from other hazard setters
  • Sturdy + Custap basically guarantees at least one layer of hazards
  • Choice between Spikes vs. T-Spikes can be difficult; Spikes are usually easier to keep on the field thanks to so many grounded Poisons
  • Rapid Spin sets it apart from Dwebble; when in Custap range, Pineco can get off one emergency spin before dying
  • Bug Bite is very situational, but OHKOes Jynx w/ max Attack, 2HKOes Liepard, and breaks Sashes
  • Since Bug Bite is weak and rarely sees use, Endure is useful for ensuring you get into Custap range/getting around Mold Breakers and multi-hit users
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • W/ Max Speed Hasty, outspeeds Modest Torkoal/standard Piloswine
  • O EVs/IVs in bulk and -Def nature to get Pineco into Custap range easier
  • Toxic > Bug Bite/Endure cripples stuff Pineco couldn’t touch otherwise (which is basically pretty much everything)
  • Explosion doesn’t do much, but ensures a teammate can be brought in safely if Pineco is fully set up
  • Spinblockers mandatory to keep Pineco’s hazards on the field; Golurk, Missy, Haunter and Drifblim are some of the best options
  • Offensive teams love hazards that Pineco can provide, so stuff like Jynx, Carracosta, Charizard are good partners
[SET]
name: Lv. 1 F.E.A.R.
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Toxic / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Spikes
item: Berry Juice
nature: Timid
evs: 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Needs to be used at lv. 1 (obviously)
  • Slightly less reliable at ensuring hazards, but is capable of doing some massive damage to opposing leads/deters setup
  • Trick is to set up as many hazards as possible until your Berry Juice is activated, then spam Pain Split until they’re low enough to be killed by something else
  • Beats LO users as it can bring them low enough to the point where they’ll kill themselves through LO recoil
  • Toxic/T-Spikes is for stuff that don’t hold LO, but Toxic is more reliable since most people don’t switch out against Pineco
  • After you’re done Pain Splitting, set up one last layer of hazards before dying
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Max Speed lets you tie w/ other FEAR Pinecos
  • Rapid Spin can be considered, but worse/less reliable at spinning than the first set and often doesn’t get time to do it
  • Spin is notable for giving you something to do when Taunted
  • Ghosts are the best partners as they help keep hazards up
  • Offensive teams appreciate quick hazards; sweepers always benefit from them
  • As mentioned before, this set is less reliable at getting up multiple hazards, but prevents Pineco from being setup bait
[Other Options]
  • No better options, at all
  • Never use Pineco for anything aside from early-game hazards/spins
[Checks and Counters]
  • Taunt completely shuts down Pineco, preventing it from doing anything
  • This makes Skuntank, Missy, Serp, Samurott, etc. good counters
  • Magic Coat/Magic Bounce also works like Taunt
  • Breaking its Sturdy is effective at beating Pineco
  • Status, multi-hit moves, Mold Breakers, Kanga's Fake Out (though the last two can’t prevent at least one layer if using Endure)
  • Anything with Substitute sets up all over Pineco
  • Custap lead is easily set up on, even w/o Sub
  • Spinners all beat Pineco 1v1 and get rid of its hazards

[Overview]

<p>With access to all three forms of entry hazards, the coveted Rapid Spin, and the handy ability Sturdy, Pineco has carved itself a great niche as a suicide entry hazard lead in NU. The ability to quickly set up multiple layers of entry hazards and get emergency early-game spins off is an absolute blessing to hyper offensive teams in NU, and Pineco does not disappoint in this role. Unfortunately, Pineco is limited to doing just that, as there are literally no other reasons to use it. It also faces extreme competition from other suicide leads such as Golem and Scolipede, both of which are faster and bring offensive presence to the field. Despite this, Pineco has a very unique niche as an entry hazard setter, and it pulls it off well.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Endure / Bug Bite

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Pineco is played as a lead; it aims to set up as many entry hazards as possible in the first few turns of the match, and does not last for long. Its access to multiple forms of entry hazards sets it apart from the likes of Scolipede, and between its ability Sturdy and the Custap Berry, Pineco is near guaranteed to get up at least a few layers of entry hazards or a potential Rapid Spin off, exhibiting its ability to be immediately useful to its team.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is an obvious staple on this set as Pineco is near guaranteed to set it up, making for an excellent wielder of the move. The choice between Spikes and Toxic Spikes can often be a difficult one; however, with the former often being easier to maintain thanks to the abundance of grounded Poison-types in NU, Spikes tends to have more utility. Toxic Spikes can be invaluable against teams that lack a grounded Poison-type, though. Rapid Spin occupies the third slot, and is what separates it from Dwebble&mdash;the ability to get a single emergency spin off before dying often makes a world of a difference over the course of a match. Finally, Endure is the preferred move in the last slot, as it ensures Pineco gets into Custap range safely and helps it to bypass Mold Breakers such as Sawk and multi-hit move users such as Golem. Bug Bite is another viable option to be considered; while it is incredibly situational and rarely sees use, it does have some utility, as it can OHKO Jynx and 2HKO Liepard. However, it sees next to no use otherwise, and because of that, Endure is often the more practical and useful choice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With maximum Speed investment and a Speed-boosting nature, Pineco is able to outspeed Modest Shell Smash Torkoal as well as standard Piloswine and Regirock. Zero investment in bulk and a Defense-lowering nature helps Pineco get into Custap range easier; for example, Scolipede's Megahorn and Golurk's Shadow Punch are now guaranteed to bring it down to 1 HP, where Pineco can respond appropriately with its Custap Berry activated. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature can potentially allow Pineco to survive a few hits and set up more entry hazards, but it sadly does not avoid any relevant 2HKOs with the above spread and makes it more reliant on Endure to reach Custap range. Toxic is a notable move that can be used in the last slot, allowing Pineco to potentially cripple Pokemon it couldn't touch before (which is basically everything). Endure and Bug Bite generally have more utility, though. Finally, Explosion is viable as well&mdash;while its damage output isn't outstanding due to Pineco's poor Attack stat, it does see use in ensuring that a teammate gets a free switch-in should Pineco be fully set up. Pineco does not accomplish this often, though, and thus Explosion is not preferred.</p>

<p>Ghost-types are near mandatory for Pineco's success, as Pineco fares poorly against Rapid Spinners in general and leaves its entry hazards vulnerable to being spun away, Ghost-types help this case by spinblocking, making Golurk, Misdreavus, Haunter, and Drifblim outstanding partners. Additionally, offensive teams love Pineco's ability to provide quick entry hazards and get potential emergency spins off; this makes Pokemon such as Jynx, Carracosta, and Charizard excellent partners as well. For the most part, though, Pineco is fairly self-supporting; required teammates are minimal outside of Ghost-types, and it can work on most offensive teams without many synergy issues.</p>

[SET]
name: Suicide Lead (Level 1)
move 3: Spikes
move 4: Toxic Spikes

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While this set is a bit less reliable than the first set in terms of ensuring multiple layers of entry hazards, it is capable of doing some major damage to the opposing lead if played correctly. As the name suggests, it needs to be used at level 1, so one might question how this is possible. The trick, however, lies in Pineco's hidden weapon, Pain Split, which effectively acts as a pseudo-Super Fang and simultaneously restores Pineco back to full health. The goal of the set is simple: set up as many entry hazards as possible until Pineco's Berry Juice is activated, restoring it back to full health. Follow that up by continuously spamming Pain Split until the opposing Pokemon is weakened enough so that it can be picked off by something else on your team. Finally, set up one final layer of entry hazards before you are KOed, either a layer of Spikes or Toxic Spikes, depending on the opposing team. This set is extremely efficient at defeating Life Orb users, as it is capable of bringing them down low enough where they will die to their own Life Orb recoil. Obviously, this set has many flaws&mdash;Substitute, Taunt, multi-hit move users, and Mold Breakers, to name a few&mdash;but it should be noted that this set can and will cripple an opposing Pokemon if given the chance.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Rapid Spin has some potential in the last slot, allowing Pineco to remove any potential entry hazards from its side of the field. It is also notable for allowing Pineco to at least do something should it ever be Taunted; however, it is far less reliable at spinning than the first set and often never finds the time to use it. Toxic is another considerable choice, allowing Pineco to whittle down an opposing lead via poison. However, Pineco would rather use free turns to set up entry hazards than use Toxic. Maximum Speed investment allows for a Speed tie with the occasional opposing level 1 Pineco; while this does not often come into play, it still can prove to be relevant in some one-on-one scenarios. Partners include the obvious Ghost-types, as spinblocking is absolutely invaluable when it comes to maintaining Pineco's entry hazards. Offensive sweepers always benefit from Pineco's early-game entry hazard provision as well, and make for excellent partners. As stated before, this set is far less reliable at ensuring hazards than the first set; however, if you want a way to prevent Pineco from becoming setup bait, this set is for you.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Don't even think about it. Pineco should never be used for ANYTHING aside from quick entry hazards and emergency Rapid Spins, and as a result has no better options it can use.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The quirky thing about Pineco is that you often aren't looking for a counter for Pineco itself&mdash;you're looking for a counter for the entry hazards it sets up. Taunt works extremely well at accomplishing this, preventing Pineco from doing anything. As a result, Pokemon such as Skuntank, Misdreavus, Serperior, and Samurott are effective counters. Magic Bounce and Magic Coat can also get the job done; while they do require slightly more prediction than Taunt, they can effectively use Pineco's own entry hazards against it. Breaking its Sturdy&mdash;whether it be from status, multi-hit moves such as Rock Blast, Mold Breaker, or Fake Out&mdash;also works well to prevent multiple layers of entry hazards, although many of these methods struggle to prevent at least one layer against Endure variants. Substitute users can also set up all over Pineco, but they fail to prevent Pineco from setting up entry hazards. The Custap lead set is even easier set up on, as Substitute isn't even required. Finally, the Rapid Spinners of the tier do very well against Pineco, as Armaldo, Torkoal, and Wartortle are all capable of defeating it one-on-one and can easily rid the field of its entry hazards.</p>

Last edited:

Blast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey all! I filled in the details for this and it's ready for QC! :)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Emphasize in the set comments of the FEAR set that it needs to be used at Level 1, since I don't think there's a Level field in the dex. Also why bother with 252 Spe EVs? Not that it matters terribly much I guess, but explain it if there's a reason (other FEAR users?). I'll stamp this since it's simple and straightforward I guess.

1/3

Blast

Did all the above, max Speed on FEAR ties with other FEAR Pinecos (don't know whether that matters or not, but if it doesn't w/e)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
No mention of Natu in checks and counters? It's not exactly common, but it completely stops Custap Pineco, and it can even stall out FEAR Pineco if it runs Roost.

I definitely feel as if the FEAR set was superior to the Custap set, simply because the Custap set is much better done by Dwebble, who has higher Speed (unless you really want a suicide lead with Toxic Spikes, which i'd rather use like Scolipede or something for). I also think that Rapid Spin should actually be slashed on the set, because it can win vs Stealth Rock leads that are not Golem by Stealth Rock'ing while they do the same, and then Rapid Spinning their hazards away (i feel like it's more important than Toxic (Spikes))

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Rapid Spin is the big selling point of Pineco > Dwebble and is the main reason the Custap set is on there and first. On the FEAR set, Pineco doesn't really get much of a chance to pull off a spin without dying imo. I'll see what other QC people think.

yea i agree that custap is better because of rapid spin (definitely the key factor) and its also more reliable than fear

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kangaskhan is also a counter to the Custap set since it can Fake Out and still avoid bringing Pineco into Custap range (even with a -Def nature, not bulk investment, and 0 def and hp ivs) and then Double Edge for the KO.
In the Overview, remember to emphasize that setting up hazards and getting a possible spin off is the ONLY reason you should use Pineco (at least in the write-up).
As for the debate on Rapid Spin for the F.E.A.R. set, I have to agree that Pineco doesn't really have the opportunity to get off a Spin since you usually would rather set up your hazards first and you don't have Custap Berry to ensure a chance to spin. I'd say keep in in AC but mention that if Pineco is Taunted, it gives it something to do rather than switch out (and probably losing Sturdy due to hazards).

For the Custap set, unless you can give a good reason for the bulk, I would rather you use a Hasty nature and remove the HP and Def EVs entirely to make it easier for Pineco to hit Custap range.

Implement these changes (and either explain the EVs or change them to what I suggested) and then

qc 2/3

Not a full QC check (though I may look at this later), but the FEAR set should be called something along the lines of "Suicide Lead (Level 1)" as per a similar OU Probopass set. Aside from this, I think F.E.A.R. stands for something along the lines of "Focus Sash, Endeavor, Quick Attack, Rattata," which while other Pokemon can perform a similar set, it's a pretty specific strategy that doesn't necessary apply here.

Blast

Is that what FEAR stands for? So many years and I never found out... :p

Changed the title, should be okay now :)

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would have Endure > Bug Bite on the Custap set. Bug Bite is really situational and Endure gives you a better match up vs Mold Breaker users. Fix up the order of both moves then in Set Comments.

Everything else looks good to me. @Dat Blast

QC Approved 3/3

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well looking back at it I don't really see a reason for Toxic to be in there at all, Pineco would much rather just set up hazards than attempt to Toxic something. I think it would be good to just have it as: Stealth Rock / Pain Split / Spikes / TSpikes (in that order). This way depending on the team you can choose to go with SR + 1 layer of Spikes or SR + 1 layer of TSpikes, whichever is more beneficial. If we just slashed TSpikes with Spikes it would make Toxic look like a significant move, which I don't think it actually is.

So Dat Blast, just to what I had in my QC check and do my change above(Also fix up Set Comment and AC to remove Toxic mentions) and this should be to go.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@Dat Blast

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>With access to all three forms of entry hazards, the coveted Rapid Spin, and the handy ability Sturdy, Pineco has carved itself a great niche as a suicide entry hazard lead in NU. The ability to quickly set up multiple layers of entry hazards and get emergency early-game spins off is an absolute blessing to hyper offensive teams in NU, and Pineco does not disappoint in its task. Unfortunately, Pineco is limited to doing just that, as there are literally no other reasons to use it. It also faces extreme competition from other suicide leads such as Golem and Scolipede, both of whom which are faster and bring offensive presence to the field. Despite this, Pineco has a very unique niche as an entry hazard setter, and it pulls it off well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Pineco is played as a lead; it aims to set up as many entry hazards as possible in the first few turns of the match, and does not last for long. Its access to multiple forms of entry hazards sets it apart from the likes of Scolipede, and between its ability Sturdy and the Custap Berry, Pineco is near guaranteed to get up at least a few layers or a potential Rapid Spin off. Because of this, Pineco confirms its viability in the tier, and it gets the job done well.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is an obvious staple on this set; with Pineco being near guaranteed to set it up, it makes for an excellent wielder of the move. The choice between Spikes and Toxic Spikes can often be a difficult one; however, with the former often being easier to maintain thanks to the abundance of grounded Poison-types in NU, Spikes tends to have more utility. Toxic Spikes can be invaluable against teams that lack a grounded Poison-type, though. Rapid Spin occupies the third slot, and is what separates it from Dwebble&mdash;the ability to get a single emergency spin off before dying often makes a world of a difference over the course of a match. Finally, Endure is the preferred move in the last slot, as it ensures Pineco gets into Custap range safely and helps it to bypass Mold Breakers such as Sawk and multi-hit move users such as Golem. Bug Bite is another viable option to be considered; while it is incredibly situational and rarely sees use, it does have some utility in the ability to OHKO Jynx and 2HKO Liepard. However, it sees next to no use otherwise, and because of that, Endure is often the more practical and useful choice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With maximum Speed investment and a Speed-boosting nature, Pineco is able to outspeed Modest Shell Smash Torkoal as well as standard Piloswine and Regirock. Zero investment in bulk and a Defense-lowering nature helps Pineco get into Custap range easier; for example, Scolipede's Megahorn and Golurk's Shadow Punch are now guaranteed to bring it down to its Sturdy, whereas Pineco can now respond appropriately in Custap range. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature can potentially allow Pineco to live a few hits and set up more entry hazards, but sadly does not avoid any relevant 2HKOs with the above spread and makes it more reliant on Endure to reach Custap range. Toxic is a notable move that can be used in the last slot, allowing Pineco to potentially cripple Pokemon it couldn't touch before (which is basically everything). Endure and Bug Bite generally have more utility, though. Finally, Explosion is viable as well&mdash;while its damage output isn't outstanding due to Pineco's poor Attack stat, it does see use in ensuring a teammate gets a free switch-in should it be fully set up. Pineco does not accomplish this often, though, and thus Explosion is not preferred.</p>

<p>Ghost-types are near mandatory for Pineco's success; as Pineco fares poorly against Rapid Spinners in general and leaves its entry hazards vulnerable to being spun away, Ghost-types help this case by spinblocking. For this reason, Golurk, Misdreavus, Haunter, and Drifblim are outstanding partners. Additionally, offensive teams love Pineco's ability to provide quick entry hazards and get potential emergency spins off; this makes Pokemon such as Jynx, Carracosta, and Charizard excellent partners as well. For the most part, though, Pineco is fairly self-supporting; required teammates are minimal outside of Ghost-types and can work on most offensive teams without many synergy issues.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While this set is a bit less reliable than the first set in terms of ensuring multiple layers of entry hazards, it is capable of doing some major damage to the opposing lead if played correctly. As the name suggests, it needs to be used at level 1, so one might question how this is possible. The trick, however, lies in Pineco's hidden weapon Pain Split, effectively acting as a pseudo-Super Fang due to Pineco's minimal HP and simultaneously restoring Pineco back to full health. The goal of the set is simple: set up as many entry hazards as possible until Pineco's Berry Juice is activated, restoring it back to full health. Follow that up by continuously spamming Pain Split until the opposing Pokemon is severely weakened, (RC) enough so that they it can be picked off by something else on your team. Finally, set up one final layer of entry hazards before you are KOed, either a layer of Spikes or Toxic Spikes depending on the opposing team. This set is extremely efficient at defeating Life Orb users, as it is capable of bringing them down low enough where they will die to their own Life Orb recoil. Obviously, this set has many flaws&mdash;Substitute, Taunt, multi-hit move users, and Mold Breakers, to name a few&mdash;but it should be noted that this set can and will cripple an opposing Pokemon if given the chance, and while it is relatively easy to deal with, always make sure that you can.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Rapid Spin has some potential in the last slot, allowing Pineco to remove any potential entry hazards from its side of the field. It is also notable for allowing Pineco to at least do something should it ever be Taunted; however, it is far less reliable at spinning than the first set and often never finds the time to use it. Toxic is another considerable choice, allowing Pineco to whittle down an opposing lead via poison. However, Pineco would rather use free turns to set up entry hazards than use Toxic. Maximum Speed investment allows for speed-tying with the occasional opposing F.E.A.R. Pineco; while this does not often come into play, it still can prove to be relevant on some one-on-one occasions. Partners include the obvious Ghost-types&mdash;spinblocking is absolutely invaluable to maintain Pineco's entry hazards, and spinblockers are mandatory as a result. Offensive sweepers always benefit from Pineco's early-game entry hazard provision as well, and make for excellent partners. As stated before, this set is far less reliable at ensuring hazards than the first set; however, if you want a way to prevent Pineco from becoming setup bait, this set is for you.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Don't even think about it. Pineco should never be used for ANYTHING aside from quick entry hazards and emergency Rapid Spins, and as a result has no better options it can use.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The quirky thing about Pineco is that you often aren't looking for a counter for Pineco itself&mdash;you're looking for a counter for the entry hazards it sets up. Taunt works extremely well at accomplishing this, preventing Pineco from doing anything. As a result, Pokemon such as Skuntank, Misdreavus, Serperior, and Samurott are effective counters. Magic Bounce and Magic Coat can also get the job done; while it does require slightly more prediction than Taunt, it can effectively use Pineco's own entry hazards against it. Breaking its Sturdy&mdash;whether it be from status, multi-hit moves such as Rock Blast, Mold Breaker, or Fake Out&mdash;also works well at preventing multiple layers of entry hazards, although many of these methods struggle to prevent at least one layer against Endure variants. Substitute users can also set up all over Pineco, however but they fail to prevent Pineco from setting up entry hazards. The Custap Lead set is even easier set up on, as Substitute isn't even required. Finally, the Rapid Spinners of the tier do very well against Pineco, as Armaldo, Torkoal, (AC) and Wartortle are all capable of defeating it one-on-one and can rid the field of its entry hazards.</p>

1/2

You do love your semicolons lol

Last edited:

Blast

@GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego said:
You do love your semicolons lol
;)

^ I used a semicolon to make that :D

Anyway, implemented your check (which was surprisingly short O__o), so ready for one more!

Last edited:

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check 2/2
Let's get this uploaded.

Changes in bold. Deletions in strikeout. AC and RC are comma changes.

[Overview]

<p>With access to all three forms of entry hazards, the coveted Rapid Spin, and the handy ability Sturdy, Pineco has carved itself a great niche as a suicide entry hazard lead in NU [oh my god you used niche correctly. This is like a once in a lifetime sight!]. The ability to quickly set up multiple layers of entry hazards and get emergency early-game spins off is an absolute blessing to hyper offensive teams in NU, and Pineco does not disappoint in this role its task. Unfortunately, Pineco is limited to doing just that, as there are literally no other reasons to use it. It also faces extreme competition from other suicide leads such as Golem and Scolipede, both of which are faster and bring offensive presence to the field. Despite this, Pineco has a very unique niche as an entry hazard setter, and it pulls it off well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Pineco is played as a lead; it aims to set up as many entry hazards as possible in the first few turns of the match [RC] and does not last for long. Its access to multiple forms of entry hazards sets it apart from the likes of Scolipede, and between its ability Sturdy and the Custap Berry, Pineco is near guaranteed to get up at least a few layers of Spikes or a potential Rapid Spin off, [AC] exhibiting its ability to be immediately useful to its team. Because of this, Pineco confirms its viability in the tier, and it gets the job done well.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is an obvious staple on this set; with Pineco is being near guaranteed to set it up, it makes for making it an excellent wielder of the move. The choice between Spikes and Toxic Spikes can often be a difficult one; however, with the former often being easier to maintain thanks to the abundance of grounded Poison-types in NU, Spikes tends to have more utility. Toxic Spikes can be invaluable against teams that lack a grounded Poison-type, though. Rapid Spin occupies the third slot [RC] and is what separates it from Dwebble&mdash;the ability to get a single emergency spin off before dying often makes a world of a difference over the course of a match. Finally, Endure is the preferred move in the last slot, as it ensures Pineco gets into Custap range safely and helps it to bypass Mold Breakers such as Sawk and multi-hit move users such as Golem. Bug Bite is another viable option to be considered; while it is incredibly situational and rarely sees use, it does have some utility, [AC] as it can in the ability to OHKO Jynx and 2HKO Liepard. However, it sees next to no use otherwise, and because of that, Endure is often the more practical and useful choice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With maximum Speed investment and a Speed-boosting nature, Pineco is able to outspeed Modest Shell Smash Torkoal as well as standard Piloswine and Regirock. Zero investment in bulk and a Defense-lowering nature helps Pineco get into Custap range easier; for example, Scolipede's Megahorn and Golurk's Shadow Punch are now guaranteed to bring it down to 1 HP its Sturdy, where Pineco can now respond appropriately after Cutsap Berry has been activated in Custap range. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature can potentially allow Pineco to live survive a few hits and set up more entry hazards, but it sadly does not avoid any relevant 2HKOs with the above spread and makes it more reliant on Endure to reach Custap range. Toxic is a notable move that can be used in the last slot, allowing Pineco to potentially cripple Pokemon it couldn't touch before (which is basically everything). Endure and Bug Bite generally have more utility, though. Finally, Explosion is viable as well&mdash;while its damage output isn't outstanding due to Pineco's poor Attack stat, it does see use in ensuring that a teammate gets a free switch-in should it be fully set up. Pineco does not accomplish this often, though, and thus Explosion is not preferred.</p>

<p>Ghost-types are near mandatory for Pineco's success, [; to ,] as Pineco fares poorly against Rapid Spinners in general and leaves its entry hazards vulnerable to being spun away, Ghost-types help this case by spinblocking, making Golurk, Misdreavus, Haunter, and Drifblim outstanding partners. Additionally, offensive teams love Pineco's ability to provide quick entry hazards and get potential emergency spins off; this makes Pokemon such as Jynx, Carracosta, and Charizard excellent partners as well. For the most part, though, Pineco is fairly self-supporting; required teammates are minimal outside of Ghost-types, [AC] and it can work on most offensive teams without many synergy issues.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While this set is a bit less reliable than the first set in terms of ensuring multiple layers of entry hazards, it is capable of doing some major damage to the opposing lead if played correctly. As the name suggests, it needs to be used at level 1, so one might question how this is possible. The trick, however, lies in Pineco's hidden weapon, [AC] Pain Split, which effectively acts as a pseudo-Super Fang and simultaneously restores Pineco back to full health. effectively acting as a pseudo-Super Fang due to Pineco's minimal HP and simultaneously restoring Pineco back to full health. The goal of the set is simple: set up as many entry hazards as possible until Pineco's Berry Juice is activated, restoring it back to full health. Follow that up by continuously spamming Pain Split until the opposing Pokemon is weakened enough so that it can be picked off by something else on your team. Finally, set up one final layer of entry hazards before you are KOed, either a layer of Spikes or Toxic Spikes, [AC] depending on the opposing team. This set is extremely efficient at defeating Life Orb users, as it is capable of bringing them down low enough where they will die to their own Life Orb recoil. Obviously, this set has many flaws&mdash;Substitute, Taunt, multi-hit move users, and Mold Breakers, to name a few&mdash;but it should be noted that this set can and will cripple an opposing Pokemon if given the chance, and while it is relatively easy to deal with, always make sure that you can.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Rapid Spin has some potential in the last slot, allowing Pineco to remove any potential entry hazards from its side of the field. It is also notable for allowing Pineco to at least do something should it ever be Taunted; however, it is far less reliable at spinning than the first set and often never finds the time to use it. Toxic is another considerable choice, allowing Pineco to whittle down an opposing lead via poison. However, Pineco would rather use free turns to set up entry hazards than use Toxic. Maximum Speed investment allows for a Speed tie speed-tying with the occasional opposing F.E.A.R. Pineco; while this does not often come into play, it still can prove to be relevant on in some one-on-one scenarios occasions. Partners include the obvious Ghost-types, [changed em dash to comma] as spinblocking is absolutely invaluable when it comes to maintaining to maintain Pineco's entry hazards, and spinblockers are mandatory as a result. Offensive sweepers always benefit from Pineco's early-game entry hazard provision as well [RC] and make for excellent partners. As stated before, this set is far less reliable at ensuring hazards than the first set; however, if you want a way to prevent Pineco from becoming setup bait, this set is for you.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Don't even think about it. Pineco should never be used for ANYTHING aside from quick entry hazards and emergency Rapid Spins [RC] and as a result has no better options it can use.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The quirky thing about Pineco is that you often aren't looking for a counter for Pineco itself&mdash;you're looking for a counter for the entry hazards it sets up. Taunt works extremely well at accomplishing this, preventing Pineco from doing anything. As a result, Pokemon such as Skuntank, Misdreavus, Serperior, and Samurott are effective counters. Magic Bounce and Magic Coat can also get the job done; while they do it does require slightly more prediction than Taunt, it they can effectively use Pineco's own entry hazards against it. Breaking its Sturdy&mdash;whether it be from status, multi-hit moves such as Rock Blast, Mold Breaker, or Fake Out&mdash;also works well to prevent at preventing multiple layers of entry hazards, although many of these methods struggle to prevent at least one layer against Endure variants. Substitute users can also set up all over Pineco, but they fail to prevent Pineco from setting up entry hazards. The Custap lead set is even easier set up on, as Substitute isn't even required. Finally, the Rapid Spinners of the tier do very well against Pineco, as Armaldo, Torkoal, and Wartortle are all capable of defeating it one-on-one and can easily rid the field of its entry hazards.</p>

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)