Pokémon Pinsir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to teach Double-Edge, Quickattack, and Close Combat to Pinsir? I can't seem to find the information.
I'm actually trying to figure this out myself.

Double-Edge
The last time Pinsir learned Double-edge was through a move tutor in Firered/Leafgreen back in Generation III, and then traded forward through two generations. As of yet, we don't have the ability to trade forward to X/Y, meaning Double-Edge is impossible for now.

Close Combat / Quick Attack
Close Combat and Quick Attack seem incompatible on the same set; both are Egg Moves, but Close Combat is only able to be learned by Pinsir through breeding with Heracross, which cannot learn Quick Attack by any means. Pinsir also learns Close Combat in the Dream World, but that means that Quick Attack, being an Egg Move, is not compatible. You can have one or the other, but not both. (Not yet, anyway; I haven't finished research.)

moms can pass down egg moves now, meaning, a female pinser with close combat can be bred with a male bug that has quick attack and BOOM close combat and quick attack baby

Does Pinsir get X-Scissor? Or is this totally outclassed by Aerilate Double Edge + Close Combat?
You can kill everything but, like, Aegislash with DE/CC. You cannot help against Aegislash with X-Scissor (which he gets, naturally as of B2W2)

EDIT: And until Double Edge is a thing, I think Return is useful enough.

considering double edge is a gen 3 only tutor move I think its impossible to get it and close combat on the same set. its not like return is that much weaker and it doesn't cause recoil so at least we have a good alternative

I think return is the superior option here, especially considering mega pinsir is reasonably bulky with 120/90 defenses. only problem i see is getting walled by aegislash

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For one last time, Earthquake >>> Close Combat. Close Combat's only use is to OHKO very weakened Skarmory, which is not only very situational but makes you more vulnerable to priority, which Mega Pinsir can actually take very well even after SR without the Def and SpD drops from Close Combat.

Another alternative to Double-Edge is Thrash, which it learns via level-up. Obviously has downsides due to locking in, but beats out Return in power.

Moxie could be situationally useful if you can switch Pinsir in on a slow and/or weakened mon and nab a +1 before Mega Evolving. Preferred option if available, but not terribly important.

I'm pretty sure crits hit for 2x damage, unless the mechanic was changed in Gen VI.
It has been changed to 1.5x. There are power boosts for the sure-crits and changes to high crit rate moves to compensate

Edit:
For one last time, Earthquake >>> Close Combat. Close Combat's only use is to OHKO very weakened Skarmory, which is not only very situational but makes you more vulnerable to priority, which Mega Pinsir can actually take very well even after SR without the Def and SpD drops from Close Combat.
This seems to have the special distinction of being the only set yet to get Double Edge, as it has been proven not legal with Close Combat.
It can't be done together with the Moxie strat above though

Last edited:
Hmm.. Gravity would make an interesting setup tactic for Mega Pinsir I imagine, the grounded Pokemon that would normally try to wall it would all suffer weaknesses to EQ.. there is still the speed factor though.

Does anyone know how to teach Double-Edge, Quickattack, and Close Combat to Pinsir? I can't seem to find the information.
Double-Edge is Gen 3, Quick Attack is breeding, CC I don't recall but is definitely either Heart Scale or breeding.

Just a question, feel free to shoot me down but...

Couldn't a gen 3 female Pinsir that knows Double Edge, just breed in generation 6 with a male who knows CC, then have that baby know knows Double edge and CC, then breed with a father that knows quick attack?

Or does double edge just flat out not transfer through breeding in generation 4/5/6?

Double Edge is in FR/LG sady so it's illegal with Moxie unless X and Y makes it possible?
The Battle maison sells that ability capsule thing that changes a pokemon's ability. Not sure if that would give it moxie, though. Its flavor text seems to indicate it would.

Couldn't a gen 3 female Pinsir that knows Double Edge, just breed in generation 6 with a male who knows CC, then have that baby know knows Double edge and CC, then breed with a father that knows quick attack?
No, because Double Edge is not an egg move for Pinsir.
The Battle maison sells that ability capsule thing that changes a pokemon's ability. Not sure if that would give it moxie, though. Its flavor text seems to indicate it would.
No, because the Ability Capsule can not be used to access hidden abilities.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm actually trying to figure this out myself.

Double-Edge
The last time Pinsir learned Double-edge was through a move tutor in Firered/Leafgreen back in Generation III, and then traded forward through two generations. As of yet, we don't have the ability to trade forward to X/Y, meaning Double-Edge is impossible for now.

Close Combat / Quick Attack
Close Combat and Quick Attack seem incompatible on the same set; both are Egg Moves, but Close Combat is only able to be learned by Pinsir through breeding with Heracross, which cannot learn Quick Attack by any means. Pinsir also learns Close Combat in the Dream World, but that means that Quick Attack, being an Egg Move, is not compatible. You can have one or the other, but not both. (Not yet, anyway; I haven't finished research.)
I actually think Earthquake works better over Close Combat on flying sets anyway. Reason being that you lose to Skarm anyway, can muscle through Ferrothorn already and can actually hit Aeigslash. Flying/Ground only really loses to Electric/Flying sets, which defeat CC Pinsir's too.

Anyway I've found that this thing hits like a truck. At +1 it was doing 77% to a bulky Landorus-T with Frustration. I used to run it without Quick Attack but priority is super useful in picking weak stuff off!

I don't understand why they made him part flying.

I would have rather seen Gamefreak give Pinsir a regular evolution, and have it been Bug/Dark. Would make sense thematically, and would be better than a 4x weakness to SR. Just because it has wings doesn't mean it has to be __/Flying, gamefreak...

A different ability would have been nice too, like a way to make Normal moves Dark, or maybe it should have just kept Guts.

It also doesn't make sense to me that gamefreak threw ten points into its SAtk. That should have gone into SDef...
Funnily enough, I've thought the same thing - making Pinsir into the Pokémon equivalent of Satan.

Lets just use Stone Miss Edge and call it a day.

Zapos could be a problem in 6th gen, the end of 5th gen will not determine its impact in 6th gen.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lets just use Stone Miss Edge and call it a day.

Zapos could be a problem in 6th gen, the end of 5th gen will not determine its impact in 6th gen.
With Stone Edge you are walled by Aegislash, Jirachi, Heatran, Metagross, and Magnezone so it's not such a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)