Pokémon Pinsir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question, why do people prefer quick attack over feint? Although feint is weaker, it does have +2 priority which allows it to bypass talonflames brave bird (one of the premier answers to Pinsir)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 97-115 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 402-474 (148.3 - 174.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
That's why. Granted Talonflame may have definitely taken more prior damage if it's been spamming brave bird but if the opposition is running talonflame they're probably not letting rocks stay up either.

Knowing the key ko's would be nice. Obviously it's only used to pick off weakened threats but I'm more curious as to what.
Here is one pretty notable one:
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 270-318 (94.4 - 111.1%)
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 202-238 (70.6 - 83.2%)

So, are you guys running CC on the Aegislash Suspect Ladder or sticking with Earthquake?
Since this is a huge change (which I don't think I need to explain), I'd thought I'd ask.
But on the other hand, Heatran becomes a threat when unboosted because no more OHKO with earthquake.

So, are you guys running CC on the Aegislash Suspect Ladder or sticking with Earthquake?
Since this is a huge change (which I don't think I need to explain), I'd thought I'd ask.
But on the other hand, Heatran becomes a threat when unboosted because no more OHKO with earthquake.
Instead you can ohko TTAR which is very nice.
Also you still have ko while boosted.
2hkoing skarm also very nice
also you can oko SPD rotom-W after boost.

IMO definitley worth it.

Instead you can ohko TTAR which is very nice.
Also you still have ko while boosted.
2hkoing skarm also very nice
also you can oko SPD rotom-W after boost.

IMO definitley worth it.
Thanks for mentioning I was too lazy to type haha.
I'm still on the fence. I often switch between CC and EQ like every other game. The ability to give no fucks about Heatran/Venu core against defensive teams while unboosted is so awesome. But the bonuses you mentioned above are hard to pass up.

Close combat is far and away the better choice with Aegis gone. The extra 20% damage close combat does compared to return against Skarm and Rotom is way more important than getting overkill damage on Heatran.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 284-336 (73.5 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(284, 288, 292, 294, 298, 302, 304, 308, 312, 314, 318, 322, 324, 328, 332, 336)

You don't need much to put him in KO range with CC.

Close combat is far and away the better choice with Aegis gone. The extra 20% damage close combat does compared to return against Skarm and Rotom is way more important than getting overkill damage on Heatran.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 284-336 (73.5 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(284, 288, 292, 294, 298, 302, 304, 308, 312, 314, 318, 322, 324, 328, 332, 336)

You don't need much to put him in KO range with CC.
Here's the inverse I don't like.

4 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 236-282 (87 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO.

With lava plume's burn chance there's a pretty high amount for a OHKO. The KO is guaranteed after any other forms of damage.
Eh, I hate heatran and I run clefable, so I need to have that hotdog eliminated without trouble. But anyway, yeah you're right, CC is the better choice if you don't need tran murdered on site.

Here's the inverse I don't like.

4 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 236-282 (87 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO.

With lava plume's burn chance there's a pretty high amount for a OHKO. The KO is guaranteed after any other forms of damage.
Eh, I hate heatran and I run clefable, so I need to have that hotdog eliminated without trouble. But anyway, yeah you're right, CC is the better choice if you don't need tran murdered on site.
You're aiming for a Clefable sweep with mega Pinsir to support him? Seems like an unnecessary strategy to me. I think you would be better off with mons that support Pinsir rather than using Pinsir to support a mon that isn't half as good at sweeping as Pinsir is.

You're aiming for a Clefable sweep with mega Pinsir to support him? Seems like an unnecessary strategy to me. I think you would be better off with mons that support Pinsir rather than using Pinsir to support a mon that isn't half as good at sweeping as Pinsir is.
No. It's more like I want to get rid of the one defensive mon besides MegaVenu and Amoongus that Magic Guard Clefable can't boost in front of for free. I know it sounds crazy, but let me just say it works. Anyway, that's enough on Cleffy, don't wanna derail the Pinsir thread.

Clefable can sweep? Cough cough base 60 speed

There's also defensive Clefable with Calm Mind and Softboiled.

Another reason why people are using Feint > Quick Attack is it bypasses Thundurus's Thunder Wave.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 97-115 (32.3 - 38.3%)

While its not a lot of damage, as long as the pinsir player maintains rocks on the field Thundurus can't do anything if its below 52% health allowing Pinsir to get around another check. While it does miss out on a few KOes as Lil Yoshi mentioned, Mega Pinsir can get around some of its current answers but needs a little more team support in exchange for being much harder to revenge kill via priority moves, so its more of a preference if you want to bait and weaken more in exchange for removing specific threats.

Wait... Dig something up from the pits of battle maison cpus and use gastro acid+toxic+iron tail+light screen serperior!
I'm sorry but these posts are absolutely retarded, stop posting please, and sorry if I'm minimodding.

Anyway with CC it's worth it TBH, Heatran is relatively easy to deal with nowadays, and given you're building a team around Mega Pinsir chances are you're running a Garchomp, Azumarill, Terrakion, etc on your team anyway, although you do have to risk the burn switching in. I guess it revolves around if your team has a way to take Heatran out easily, but all in all CC is better than Earthquake on the Suspect Ladder in my book.

I like running CC. Hits alot of things, kills that TTar who thinks he can check you. Helps against Skarmory (Hate facing that bird). At times, i'll run CC and EQ, dropping the SD, and theres dead things left, right, and center. Well, maybe only left and right, I don't have +2 anymore.

Everyone is using hyper cutter now right? I cringe every time I see a Mold Breaker or Moxie Pinsir. If Aegislash is banned there's really no good reason to run MB since you can hit Rotom with CC.
I would go for HC so you don't get intimidated. I run MB, but the only reason I actually do since its the only one I'm getting unfortunately.
I do see Moxie pinsirs from time to time, trying to net in a free kill with quick attack, but..Its harder, and with HC, your attack wont go down.
So choice is either don't get your attack down, or risk getting intimidated and try to get a +1, which you probably won' get too often.
Anyone think SD is a must? My set-up is, as of now
Return
Quick Attack
Close Combat
Earthquake

I haven't actually run SD on him at all, and I usually had it replaced with EQ..

My 2 cents on CC vs. EQ:

Pinsir usually wants to come out on something it can force out for a free +2 on the switch. That means TTar dies to EQ even if it comes in safely. As for Skarm, the tiny bit of extra damage from +2 CC (It only does 10% more than Return. No, really.) means nothing because Skarm can then OHKO MPinsir with Brave Bird thanks to that -1 defense. Frankly Skarm should be completely dealt with before ever even considering starting a MPinsir sweep. Also, +2 Return OHKOs Air Balloon Excadrill, and Mega Gyarados dies to Return even at +1.

So the only OHKOs MPinsir really loses by running EQ over CC are on PhDef Ferro (+2 Return OHKOs SpDef) and SpDef Rotom-W (even +2 CC won't OHKO PhDef, in fact it struggles to do 75%, and +2 Return 2HKOs anyway. In return, PhDef and SpDef Rotom can't OHKO with Volt Switch until the defense drop from CC). Incidentally, if Pinsir really wants to kill PhDef Rotom-W, the only way to do it is for it to run Mold Breaker + EQ, get an SD on the switch, and kill Rotom before mega evolving. Not that MB is necessarily a good choice just for that; I'm just pointing out if Pinsir wants to OHKO PhDef Rotom, EQ is the only way to do it.

On the other hand, Mega Mawile is not OHKOd by +2 CC, but is OHKOd by even +1 EQ. +0 EQ of course OHKOs Heatran (just like +0 CC OHKOs TTar). Not to mention, MPinsir gets to kill everything else it would use CC for except SpDef Rotom-W and PhDef Ferrothorn without worrying about the defense drop which renders him more and more vulnerable to revenging in general but especially priority revenging such as from Sucker Punch. Being guaranteed to be able to tank a sucker punch from Bisharp because he's at +0 rather than -1 or -2 defenses, for example, removes the need for Quick Attack vs. EQ/CC mind games.

So in summary, by running CC, MPinsir gets the ability to OHKO 1) Tyranitar at +0, 2) Physically Defensive Ferrothorn at +2, 3) Specially Defensive/Bulky Rotom at +2.
By running EQ, MPinsir gets the ability to OHKO 1) Heatran at +0, 2) Heatran, TTar, and Bisharp without def drops, 3) Mega Mawile even at +1 (CC won't OHKO until +3).
All other things are essentially the same. IMO, EQ has enough merits to make it at the very least a genuine tradeoff.

Concerning Pinsir's ability, I find Hyper Cutter to be almost always the best choice. The ability to block Lando-T's intimidate as it switches in and then get off an SD after Pinsir Mega Evolves has proved invaluable to me numerous times especially since Lando-T goes down to +2 Return but not +1. The +1 from Moxie, ehh, it's too situational and I hardly ever am able to set myself up for it. Besides, like I said, instead of sending it on on something weak I can kill, I'd rather just get it in on something I can scare out for a free +2. Not to mention, Pinsir can take advantage of Hyper Cutter by Mega Evolving as the intimidator switches in, but it can't take advantage of Moxie without waiting until the new mon is already in before evolving, meaning it can more easily be outsped.

I like my pinsir like this

Pinsir@Pinsirite
Trait:Moxie / (M) Aeriaite
EVs:252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature : + Atk. -SAtk
-Quick Attack
-Close Combat
-Swords Dance
-Thrash

I normally start off with quick attack when the opponent I has is already damaged little hp to get movie then maybe a second moxie and I MEGA using swords dance / 2-3 a I sweep with quick attack but when I'm facing a tough opponent I use CC and sometimes thrash for extreme damage!!

I'm sorry but these posts are absolutely retarded, stop posting please, and sorry if I'm minimodding.

Anyway with CC it's worth it TBH, Heatran is relatively easy to deal with nowadays, and given you're building a team around Mega Pinsir chances are you're running a Garchomp, Azumarill, Terrakion, etc on your team anyway, although you do have to risk the burn switching in. I guess it revolves around if your team has a way to take Heatran out easily, but all in all CC is better than Earthquake on the Suspect Ladder in my book.
You called me retarded... I skipped 2nd grade and I'm in all GT's in the 6th grade...

Pinsir@Pinsirite
-Quick Attack
-Close Combat
-Swords Dance
-Thrash

I normally start off with quick attack when the opponent I has is already damaged little hp to get movie then maybe a second moxie and I MEGA using swords dance / 2-3 a I sweep with quick attack but when I'm facing a tough opponent I use CC and sometimes thrash for extreme damage!!
Why are you running moxie? Use hyper cutter for random intimidate switch-ins. And thrash is kinda bad since it confuses you, you cant hold a persim/lum berry, and you can't switch out. Plus Return OHKO/2HKOes almost anything that doesn't resist it anyway. Thrash just gives you a few more 2HKOes, and that's not worth confusion or inability to switch out/ change moves. Imagine Rotom-W switching in, Burning you, and the KOing you with volt switch while you're locked into an attack that does negligible damage. Just use return. Please. (This wasn't completely retarded, right?)

Why are you running moxie? Use hyper cutter for random intimidate switch-ins. And thrash is kinda bad since it confuses you, you cant hold a persim/lum berry, and you can't switch out. Plus Return OHKO/2HKOes almost anything that doesn't resist it anyway. Thrash just gives you a few more 2HKOes, and that's not worth confusion or inability to switch out/ change moves. Imagine Rotom-W switching in, Burning you, and the KOing you with volt switch while you're locked into an attack that does negligible damage. Just use return. Please. (This wasn't completely retarded, right?)
Lol ok but mines is meant for complete destroying and having no cadre babout the consequences but I understand the intimidate bit.

Doesn;

Pinsir@Pinsirite
-Quick Attack
-Close Combat
-Swords Dance
-Thrash

Doesn't aegislash, like, completely wall this? Use Earthquake to hit heatran/aegislash. (but sorry if I'm completely oblivious of the suspect test)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)