Pokémon Pinsir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aerilate Quick Attack says hi.
Plus it actually has movepool to hit beefy Poison and Steel types which give Beedrill one hell of a trouble (Close Combat, Earthquake which is much stronger then Drill Run) and mentioned by you strong priority helps also give Pinsir much better sweeping potential. Also Pinsir actually has bulk to take a hit (especially on physical side) unlike Beedrill. So yeah Pinsir > Beedrill anytime, anywhere.

Last edited:
Well, time to update the thread of my favorite mon again.

Pinsir's Current Position in the Meta:
To catch everyone up to speed, Pinsir has officially moved from OU to BL due to a drastic drop in usage over the past few months. However, Pinsir is still a strong force to contend with despite the drop/competition from other megas. In addition, people aren't preparing from him as much as in the past. So this is a boon for the Aerilate bug. I expect him to be back in OU once Mega Metagross is banned. However, he'll still have to struggle with Mega Diancie.

Standard Set:
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat/Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Pinsir's flagship set hasn't changed at all. Close Combat provides very good neutral coverage, which is good for helping Pinsir chip away at threats so that one of his teammates can sweep (Pinsir's working best on Hyper Offense at the moment). If you're not sure how to build a Hyper Offense team, then click here for a brief guide on how to build one. Anyway, Close Combat is excellent for nailing T-Tar who is usually running smooth rock to support Excadrill or Scarf for Latios/Latias trapping and checking birdspam. Due to the fact that CC also hits rotom for a decent amount of damage, and isn't bait for flying types, I prefer it over Earthquake. However, Earthquake does OHKO Heatran and damages Mega Metagross somewhat. But I don't find EQ quite as useful as CC because Pinsir cannot afford letting things switch in for free. In addition, Mega Diancie's standard set includes protect, so Pinsir can't touch her anyway. Your surprise EQ will only be cockblocked by that bitch.

What has changed from XY?

The ORAS metagame is faster and bulkier than ever before. Unfortunately, Pinsir was not graced with 110+ speed that many of the new megas are boasting. However, his flying type priority nails a large chunk of them for super-effective damage (Lopunny, Gallade, Sceptile). Also, he outspeeds Mega Altaria who is one of the more popular megas at the moment. On the stall side of things, Mega Slowbro and Sableye have made his life harder. However, if Pinsir is paired with strong HO teammates then these threats shouldn't prove too difficult to overcome. In short, Pinsir isn't one of the star players of the meta anymore. But you don't need to be a star to kick someone's ass.

Partners to Consider for ORAS:
- This is just some brief suggestions. It won't teach you the meta, and this isn't the "end all be all" list.

Talonflame:
- Pinsir's XY husbando is still his ORAS husbando. The meta has been nothing but kinder to Talonflame for the most part. Talon also provides an offensive counter to Mega Sableye if running the Swords Dance set. Jolly is the nature this time around for Offensive Talonflame because it allows him to outspeed annoyances such as Magnezone, Raikou, and Thundurus. Even if Talonflame can't OHKO these threats, he helps to open the floodgates for another member on his team.
In addition, Priority Brave Bird is still strong as hell.

Bisharp:
- Bisharp provides an answer to fairies and deters hazard clearing with defog. In addition, he punishes Lando-T for intimidate. Sharp is great for Hyper Offense and his priority sucker punch hits very hard.

Heatran:
- Heatran is still a great pokemon and is one of the most reliable stealth rock setters in the current meta. From my experience, the max speed heatran set with fire blast, taunt, stealth rock, and earth power, has been very useful. Balloon gives him ground immunity which is awesome. However, scarf heatran shouldn't be overlooked either. But I don't particularly recommend scarfed mons on a hyper offense team due to the fact that they can be taken advantage of. Yet like Lando, Magnezone, and T-Tar--Heatran has a great scarf set. Oh yeah, tran absorbs will-o-wisps aimed at pinsir and can run stone edge to take out t-flame.

Landorus-T:
- This thing doesn't need much of an explanation. If you need a refresher from XY, Lando has intimidate which makes it have Base 130 defense in theory. 145 Attack and 130 defense are excellent. And with base 90 speed, his scarf set is godlike. I don't recommend using Lando's Stealth Rock set however, it feels weak to put it bluntly.

Thundurus:
- Life Orb Mixed Thundy with Knock Off, Superpower, Thunderbolt, and Hidden Power ice, is one of Pinsir's best friends. Mixed Thundy hits a large portion of the meta for great damage. Remember to run 76 Atk and 180 Sp.Atk with Timid Nature and Max Speed. In addition, the Special Attacking T-Wave set is still good as well. Although they share weaknesses, Thundy and Pinsir help each other out a lot.

Latios:
- Offensive Defogger and hits like a truck, enough said. Latias has access to more bulk and healing wish at a cost of raw power.

Rotom-W:
- Rotom-Wash is Rotom-Wash. I can't really put it much simpler than that. Rotom has resistances to many of Pinsir's weaknesses, keeps momentum, and most importantly, Rotom does not give a fuck about Landorus-T (who is one of the biggest threats for Pinsir at the moment). On another note, Rotom-W also forms a defensive core with Lando-T.

Tyranitar:
- Scarfed Tyranitar is both a powerhouse and an offensive talonflame/lati@s counter. He's also good at nailing the 110 Megas with a strong attack. However, you have to be careful though, because scarfed T-Tar is high-risk/high-reward. You need an answer to mons who can setup on him. Also, you can go smooth rock to help out Excadrill who is mentioned below.

Excadrill:
- Excadrill has a 4x resistance to rock, rapid spin, immunity to electricity, kills fairies, and gets sand rush. He's a great offensive partner for Pinsir.

Magnezone:
- He traps pesky steel-types that give Pinsir trouble and removes them. Magnezone's role hasn't changed since XY. However, more talonflames are running jolly nature in order to outspeed him. However, this can be remedied by using Magneton instead.

DIGGERSBY THO:
- Meet one of Pinsir's best partners. Oh my god, Swords Dance Life Orb Diggersby is the definition of death. The rabbit murders pokemon that give Pinsir trouble such as rotom-w, slowbro, and hippowdon. Also, his Quick Attack hits like a goddamn truck. In my opinion, always consider Diggersby on a Pinsir team. He is so freaking valuable as a partner. Usually people will send in Lando-T to neuter Diggersby, but you'll probably be done Sword Dancing on the switch in. Wreck Lando with that 1.5 Return, and help open the floodgates for Pinsir to sweep. Final note, the electric immunity comes in handy.

AZUMARILL BRO.
- Azumarill is a good offensive pivot and has excellent coverage, priority, and power. Double Bunny + Pinsir isn't a bad offensive core at all either. In my experience with Azu, sometimes you'll be like "Thank god I brought Azu" other times you'll be like "Meh...". But never will you loathe having azumarill on your team. He also hits diancie hard with Aqua Jet.

Clefable
- Unaware is a good safety net if you're using scarfed mons. Clef is also a very good stealth rock user and can set it up multiple times during a match. He beats sableye, and Magic Guard is awesome as well. Not really much more to say about Clefable. He's a good partner despite not being a powerhouse.

Raikou
- Offensive Birdspam/Thundy check. Raikou has good power, keeps momentum, and sits at a great speed tier (115).

Tentacruel
- Tentacruel is a very good rapid spinner and keldeo switch in. He can break past non-steel type defensive mons with acid spray. Two major perks is that he beats ferrothorn (when equipped with liquid ooze), and gengar, who is the only valid spinblocker right now. I feel like Tenta works best when paired with one of the lati twins or a defogger.

Keldeo
- Keldeo is keldeo, 'nuff said. He has a variety of sets to run and can hit hard from both the physical and special side. Scald is overpowered.

Scizor
- I like the banded Scizor set. In addition, Scizor is very good right now in the meta. His Bullet Punch hits like a truck as well as U-turn. He also forms the Gen 5 defensive core with Rotom-W, and scizor can act as a switch-in to the Lati twins. Diancie Killer and Metagross Check as well.

Gothitelle
- I've never used this thing on a Pinsir team, but it seems to be paired with Pinsir whenever I see him. So I guess they work well together. In case you don't know, gothitelle is the bane of stall because she can trap pokemon with shadow tag and then cripple with a tricked choice item.

Zapdos
- Don't really have an opinion, but like Gothitelle, I see this mon paired with Pinsir a lot. I suppose people like that Zapdos is bulky, has defog, has an offensive presence, and checks birdspam.

Azelf
- This guy is the premiere sash lead for Hyper Offense and is almost guaranteed to get SR up. Despite the new Magic Bouncers, Azelf is still an outstanding lead. The set I like most is SR, Fire Blast, Explosion, and Taunt. Also, Aerodactyl can also fill Azelf's role if you like. But I think Azelf is far superior in the suicide lead role.

Dragalge
- Drag is being slept on right now. But with great resistances, and adaptability draco meteor/sludge wave, this thing is sort of like the grim reaper once steel types are removed from play. Drag carries his weight and I would definitely suggest giving him a try with the choice specs set.

Staraptor
- Another Bird Bro for Pinsir. Although people say you should only use the choice band set. I disagree. Try out scarf and band to see which one you like better, they're both effective.

Klefki- This thing can switch into a Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick once, then set up Reflect for the the team, or cripple her with thunder wave. Many times, klefki can scare Mega Lopunny out, and proceed to setup another round of hazards or screens. Klefki essentially acts as a pivot during the Mega Lopunny matchup, and can help the team against this HO killer.

*I'll update this list if I think of anymore noteworthy partners (aka I'm lazy right now). But remember, these are just suggestions. The only credibility they have is that I've been using Pinsir since XY (and never switched megas during ORAS). So they're time tested.

My Overall Opinion on Pinsir right now:

Score: 8.5/10
- Too much Water
- Can't spam Return as much as in XY
- Base 105 is Chubby Speed tier.
- Mega Diancie/Mega Metagross are pains in the ass.
- Lando-T is fucking everywhere
- Destroyed by Talon as usual
- Stealth Rock still exists.

VERDICT:
I feel sorry for all the medicham players. ORAS only made Pinsir somewhat harder to use. But the new meta fucked Medi like a paralyzed latios in a shower room full of t-tars...and the latios just dropped his soap.

Last edited:
Heatran:
- Heatran is still a great pokemon and is one of the most reliable stealth rock setters in the current meta. From my experience, the max speed heatran set with fire blast, taunt, stealth rock, and earth power, has been very useful. Balloon gives him ground immunity which is awesome. However, scarf heatran shouldn't be overlooked either. But I don't particularly recommend scarfed mons on a hyper offense team due to the fact that they can be taken advantage of. Yet like Lando, Magnezone, and T-Tar--Heatran has a great scarf set.
Mention that Heatran can lure in Rotom-W and OHKO it with Power Herb Solar Beam. It can also eat up Will-O-Wisps directed at Pinsir and KO opposing Heatrans with Earth Power while scaring away Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory with your STAB Fire move. You can also use Stone Edge to KO Smogon Bird, which is Pinsir's #1 enemy.

Also, mention that Earthquake hits Mega Manectric, Raikou and Mega Metagross harder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)