Pinsir

QC Checks:

Overview
########

Mega Pinsir is a very underrated threat in the VGC 2014 metagame with impressive offensive stats. It also possesses a useful ability in Aerilate, allowing it to use Normal-type attacks to deal a significant amount of damage to common Grass- and Fighting-type threats. However, Mega Pinsir has many weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to Rock-type moves, and Will-O-Wisp and Intimidate from enemies can limit its effectiveness.

Mega Attacker
########
name: Mega Attacker
move 1: Return
move 2: Close Combat / Earthquake
move 3: Feint / Swords Dance / Quick Attack
move 4: Protect
ability: Hyper Cutter
item: Pinsirite
evs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========

Return is a strong STAB move that is great for inflicting a lot of damage to Grass-, Fighting-, and the occasional Bug-types. It even has the ability to OHKO a common VGC 2014 threat in 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y. Adding to Pinsir's already stellar offensive power with Return, Close Combat is great for coverage against Rock-, Dark-, and Steel-types such as Tyranitar, Hydreigon, and Bisharp. However, Earthquake is another viable option for its coverage against Fire-types and Aegislash if you like being able to hit both of the opposing Pokemon hard. Priority STAB Quick Attack is useful for finishing off weakened Pokemon, while Feint allows Pinsir to bypass Protect while also allowing your partner to hit that target; STAB Feint can also act like Quick Attack in most situations as a way to finish off a weakened foe. However, Swords Dance can also be used in the third slot to give Pinsir a scary +2 Attack boost for a potential sweep of the opponent's entire team. Protect is a staple move in any Doubles metagame to disrupt double targeting and scout the opponent, and it allows your partner to take out a specific threat to Mega Pinsir while it is being shielded.

Set Details
========

236 Speed EVs in tandem with a Jolly nature allows Pinsir to outspeed Jolly Garchomp and positive-nature base 100s. 52 HP EVs with 28 Defense EVs enable it to survive Jolly Garchomp's Rock Slide with one turn of Rough Skin damage or Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Return. Furthermore, 52 HP / 4 SpD Pinsir survives a Fire Blast from Timid Salamence, and the remaining EVs are put into Attack for maximum offensive power.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Pinsir is useful for dealing a huge amount of damage early in the game, but it's helpful to save Pinsir for a late-game sweep, especially if there's a threat it can't take out, because it can be easily defeated by some certain Pokemon. However, if there is a threat to Pinsir present and you decide to stay in, use Protect to scout the foes while enabling your partner to deal some damage or take out that threat. Utilize Feint to break through Protect, allowing your partner to inflict damage against the Pokemon that used it.

Team Options
========

Mega Pinsir is a great partner for Rotom-W, as Pinsir can take out Grass-type threats to it such as Venusaur, while Rotom-W takes out Fire- and Flying-type threats to Pinsir such as Talonflame. Pinsir loves Safeguard users, such as Meowstic-M and Klefki, because they prevent Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, which cripple Pinsir's effectiveness. Pinsir likes Fake Out or Rage Powder support to enable it to set up Swords Dance and decimate the opponent. Rage Powder also redirects incoming super effective attacks to allow Pinsir to attack freely without worrying about taking a significant amount of damage. Finally, Wide Guard users such as Aegislash prevent Rock Slide and Heat Wave from hitting Pinsir.

Other Options
########

Frustration can be utilized over Return when Pinsir is at 0 happiness. In the rare case that the opponent carries a Ditto that Transforms into Pinsir, Frustration will be useless for Ditto because it will most likely be at max happiness. If Pinsir gets burned, Facade is a pretty good option that can take the opponent by surprise with its doubled Base Power. Stone Edge enables Pinsir to OHKO Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame while providing some extra overall coverage in conjunction with Return. Thrash is another powerful STAB move with 120 Base Power that can be used in place of Return, but you're unable to choose the target. Giga Impact is a very powerful STAB move with 150 Base Power that can deal a significant amount of damage to the target with the boost from Aerilate. STAB X-Scissor is also a fairly viable option if you want to hit Psychic- and Dark-types super effectively. Rock Slide is a good spread move if you want to hit both targets, and it even has a 30% chance of flinching them.

Checks & Counters
########

**Flying-types**: Priority Brave Bird from Talonflame and Aerilate Return from opposing Mega Pinsir can OHKO Pinsir.

**Electric-types**: Bulky Electric-types such as Rotom-W and Zapdos give Mega Pinsir a hard time, as they resist most of its attacks while being able to heavily damage it with Thunderbolt.

**Ice-types**: Mamoswine with priority Ice Shard can deal a huge amount of damage to Mega Pinsir before it even has a chance to attack. Other Pokemon carrying Ice Beam can usually 2HKO or OHKO Pinsir easily.

**Fire-types**: Mega Charizard X and Y can deal a huge amount of damage to Pinsir with STAB Fire-type attacks and potentially OHKO, and bulky Fire-types such as Rotom-H give Pinsir a huge fit with a Flying-type resistance and a super effective Fire-type move.

**Rock-types**: Choice Scarf Tyranitar and Mega Aerodactyl can outspeed and OHKO Mega Pinsir with Rock Slide.

**Pokemon with Intimidate or Will-O-Wisp**: Pokemon with Intimidate lower Mega Pinsir's Attack stat, while Will-O-Wisp users such as Rotom-A halve Pinsir's Attack stat.

**Pokemon with Prankster**: Pinsir hates being crippled by the occasional Thunder Wave from Klefki or Meowstic-M, as its Speed advantage is taken away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The moveset should look like this:

move 2: Feint
move 3: Earthquake

Moves Mentions
-Close Combat

There is literally no reason to run X-Scissor, and I don't know what made you think that Close Combat was more important than EQ and Feint. EQ is literally needed to get around Aegislash, and the only thing notable to use CC for is to hit Rotom-A neutrally. Quick Attack is garbage seeing as Pinsir has access to Feint, which is literally a better Quick Attack.

On another note, Pinsir should just be 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe as it has no business taking those hits tbh, and Timid Hydreigon is practically nonexistent anyway. Furthermore, while that calc is true for non-life orb variants of Chomp, Life Orb variants don't give a crap about those EVs, and they are pretty damn common. Just stick with a simple spread here, as Pinsir loses too much power and an amazing speed tier for it.

Last edited:

Moves Mentions
-Close Combat

There is literally no reason to run X-Scissor, and I don't know what made you think that Close Combat was more important than EQ and Feint. EQ is literally needed to get around Aegislash, and the only thing notable to use CC for is to hit Rotom-A neutrally. Quick Attack is garbage seeing as Pinsir has access to Feint, which is literally a better Quick Attack.

On another note, Pinsir should just be 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe as it has no business taking those hits tbh, and Timid Hydreigon is practically nonexistent anyway. Furthermore, while that calc is true for non-life orb variants of Chomp, Life Orb variants don't give a crap about those EVs, and they are pretty damn common. Just stick with a simple spread here, as Pinsir loses too much power and an amazing speed tier for it.
I'll agree with you that Feint is more useful than Quick Attack on Pinsir; I'll be sure to slash that first. Thanks for your input! However, I believe Close Combat is equally viable as Earthquake due to the fact Pinsir will be able to hit Hydreigon, Mega-Kangaskhan, and even Mega-Gyarados super-effectively. Not to mention a CC from 188 Atk Mega-Pinsir OHKOs Max HP Mega-Tyranitar 100% of the time. In my opinion, I could add EQ as the main option for the second moveslot and slash Close Combat. As for the Timid Hydreigon, I meant to say Pinsir will survive a Fire Blast from Timid Salamence, my bad. I'll edit that in right now, and I'll add X-Scissor to Other Options

Moves Mentions
-Close Combat

I really disagree with Earthquake being the first slash, simply because it still loses to Aegislash.

188 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 68-80 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 68-82 (40.7 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 52 HP / 4 SpD Mega Pinsir: 91-108 (61.9 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 52 HP / 4 SpD Mega Pinsir: 180-213 (122.4 - 144.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO Weakness Policy.

Close Combat hits Tyranitar and Mega Kangaskhan, which are both pretty important.

I don't see Mega Pinsir getting a chance to Swords Dance, but Safe Guard + Swagger could get mentioned in team options.

Last edited:
What about Storm Throw? I mean, it may be weaker than Close Combat, but it ignores the foe's Reflect & Charm from Meowstic. It also helps against Intimidate if you mega-evolved before they're sent out.

Moves Mentions
-Close Combat

And Kangaskhan, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Bisharp, Hydreigon, Mamoswine

Maybe in OU EQ is better. Not so much in VGC.

i think you ought to make a note near the start of the analysis saying that all of this applies to mega pinsir

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • add some stuff about feint and sword dance to usage tips
  • also say somwhere that it should be wary of pokemon that potentially use rock slide to hit megazard y, as that will knock out pinsir too
  • i think sd should be slashed in the 3rd slot, not against protect. should either be feint / qa / sd or feint / sd / qa (like the 2nd one more personally but that's me)
looks good otherwise tho, qc 1/2

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just so you know, the formatting for C&C is this:
**Check/Counter 1:**Reasoning & Examples

**Check/Counter 2:**Reasoning & Examples
and so on

Pinoy Pwnage You going to write this up soon? This again,

"When you right this up i'd probably say its generally outclassed by other megas, but still viable (Rotom appliances wall it hard). Also make sure you fix the formatting for checks and counters."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)