OU Pinsir

QC Checks: CyclicCompound, aim, TRC
GP Checks: frenzyplant (Stamped by Lord Alphose), fleurdyleurse

Overview
########

Mega Pinsir's access to Aerilate and Return as well as a large base 155 Attack stat make it an extremely powerful threat. In combination with Close Combat, Aerilate-boosted Return is unresisted in OU bar Zapdos and Thundurus, which can be both worn down with Stealth Rock and another Flying-type teammate. Swords Dance is a great boosting option that turns Mega Pinsir into a great cleaner, with its good bulk helping it to set up. Aerilate Quick Attack also means that Mega Pinsir can beat faster Pokemon such as Keldeo without having to boost its Speed.

Unfortunately for Mega Pinsir, such a powerful threat is prepared for by most teams. Thundurus, Talonflame, Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Mega Manectric, Raikou, Zapdos, and Skarmory are seen on almost all teams, and each one of them can reliably check or counter Mega Pinsir. This makes pulling off a sweep extremely hard, and means proper team support is needed in order to remove these checks and counters. Mega Pinsir also has a 4x Stealth Rock weakness once Mega Evolved and a 2x one pre-Mega Evolution, giving it limited switch-in and setup opportunities.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Return
move 3: Close Combat / Earthquake
move 4: Quick Attack
ability: Hyper Cutter / Mold Breaker
item: Pinsirite
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Swords Dance makes Mega Pinsir's attacks extremely powerful, helping it clean late-game. Return is a powerful STAB option that Aerilate turns Flying-type. Close Combat hits the Steel- and Rock-types that resist Return for super effective damage while also hitting Pokemon such as Rotom-W for neutral damage. Earthquake is another option to hit Steel- and Rock-types super effectively that can be used to OHKO Heatran; it has the added benefit of not lowering Mega Pinsir's defensive stats. Lastly, Quick Attack provides a priority attack that can OHKO faster Pokemon such as Keldeo when Mega Pinsir is at +2.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment is used for as much power and Speed as possible. A Jolly nature is used to outspeed threats such as Mega Medicham and Charizard after Pinsir Mega Evolves. An Adamant nature is an option for more power and is guaranteed to OHKO Pokemon such as Slowbro with Return. Hyper Cutter gives Pinsir an immunity to Intimidate as Landorus-T switches in, thus allowing Swords Dance to have its full effect. This is important because while a +2 Return will OHKO defensive Landorus-T, a +1 Return won't. Mold Breaker, however, can be used with Earthquake in order to hit Rotom-W before Pinsir Mega Evolves. Moxie is another ability option that can be used to grab a free +1 boost while in normal forme, though this usually isn't necessary due to Pinsir's access to Swords Dance. Finally, Pinsirite is necessary for Pinsir to Mega Evolve.

Usage Tips
========

Pinsir is best used late-game when all its checks and counters have been weakened or removed. Try to keep Stealth Rock off the field at all times, as it deals a large amount of damage to Mega Pinsir upon switching in. It may be wise to delay Mega Evolution; for example, if Pinsir does not Mega Evolve against a weakened Thundurus, it can live a non-Life Orb Thunderbolt and proceed to finish it off with Return. Other examples include surviving non-Life Orb Excadrill's Rock Slide and defensive Landorus-T's Stone Edge. If Mold Breaker is being used, it can be beneficial to delay Mega Evolution in order to hit Rotom-W with a super effective Earthquake. Be wary of the defense drops caused by Close Combat; for example, Life Orb Bisharp can OHKO Mega Pinsir after a single Defense drop.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal is necessary in order to keep Pinsir healthy throughout the match. Excadrill is probably the best partner for Pinsir, as it removes entry hazards via Rapid Spin and hard walls any Thundurus lacking Focus Blast, which is one of Pinsir's biggest counters. Latias can also make for a good partner due to its ability to use Healing Wish, which can heal Pinsir no matter how weakened it has become. Pinsir pairs well with other Flying-types, such as Talonflame and Staraptor, as they force Mega Pinsir's counters in and weaken them to the point where Mega Pinsir can KO them. Entry hazard support allows Pinsir to more effectively beat walls such as Slowbro. Terrakion, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Mamoswine are all good Stealth Rock users. Electric-types such as Raikou, Magnezone, and Thundurus not only help to check opposing Flying-types, but are also immune to Thundurus's Thunder Wave. Magnezone can also trap and remove Skarmory, making it even more helpful.

Other Options
########

Feint can replace Quick Attack in order to OHKO Talonflame after Stealth Rock damage. However, it misses out on notable KOs, such as OHKOing Greninja when Mega Pinsir is at +2. Alternative STAB moves to replace Return include Double-Edge and Thrash. The former hits extremely hard, but causes a large amount of recoil, while the latter is also extremely powerful but locks Pinsir into the move. X-Scissor is another STAB option, but it doesn't hit anything that the moves on the set don't. Finally, Stone Edge can be used for Zapdos, though it doesn't hit anything else and only weakens Mega Pinsir's coverage.

Checks & Counters
############

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Raikou, Choice Scarf Magnezone, and Mega Manectric can take a Quick Attack and OHKO Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt. Zapdos gets a special mention for being able to live a +2 Return even after Stealth Rock while OHKOing Mega Pinsir back with Thunderbolt. Thundurus can OHKO Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt or use Prankster Thunder Wave to let another teammate revenge kill Mega Pinsir. Mega Ampharos is also capable of taking a hit and OHKOing back with Thunderbolt. Finally, Rotom-W and Rotom-H can take an attack and use either Will-O-Wisp to cripple Pinsir or Volt Switch to finish it off, though they must be wary of Mold Breaker Earthquake.

**Rock-types**: Rhyperior can live a +2 Earthquake or Close Combat from Mega Pinsir and OHKO back with Stone Edge. Mega Aerodactyl resists Quick Attack and can OHKO Mega Pinsir with Stone Edge as well.

**Bulky Physical Walls**: Skarmory walls Mega Pinsir and can either Whirlwind it out or KO it with Counter. +2 Return has a good chance to 2HKO Skarmory after Stealth Rock, however, so it must be kept healthy if it wants to counter Mega Pinsir throughout the game. Landorus-T and Hippowdon can both live a +2 Return and OHKO with Stone Edge. Slowbro also makes for a decent check, though it is usually OHKOed by a +2 Return after Stealth Rock.

**Talonflame**: Talonflame can use its access to priority Brave Bird to OHKO Mega Pinsir.

**Choice Scarf users**: Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Terrakion, Excadrill, and Garchomp can all live a +2 Quick Attack at full health and OHKO Mega Pinsir with a Rock-type move.

**Status**: Burns from the likes of Will-O-Wisp and Scald can seriously decrease Pinsir's damage output, while paralysis can slow Pinsir down and make it much easier to revenge kill.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock limits the amount of times Mega Pinsir can switch in and gives it limited setup opportunities.

**Priority**: Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Mamoswine, and Azumarill can all live a +2 Quick Attack and finish off a weakened Mega Pinsir with a priority attack of their own. While Sucker Punch users such as Bisharp can do this too, they must be careful of Sucker Punch failing if Mega Pinsir uses Quick Attack or Swords Dance.

Last edited:

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Aright, this is QC ready :]

Usage Tips are kinda bare but this mon is really simple so....
I disagree, I see a lot of bad decisions from my opponents on the ladder when they play this pokemon.
Especially when Mevolving. It costs nothing to specify when you should not evolve to keep your ability (no matter which one it is).
On one of my teams, I opted for an Adamant nature with a spread avoiding the KO from Thundurus' Tbolt LO 100% of the time (88HP and 8SpD, but I need to check at home how I did split the remaining EVs between Atk and Spe). You also live Lando-t Stone Edge from the Scarf with some HP investment.
Anyway, even without the spread, you have a fair chance of surviving the Tbolt, and you always live it if it's not LO so the point remains that against many of its checks/counter (Thundurus, Lando-t, Excadrill Zapdos), Pinsir can manage to be more effective by MEvolving in a clever way.
Also, you still KO at +2 with Return Thundurus with your normal form, that's worthy to note I guess.

I hope I helped to fill up this section.

I disagree, I see a lot of bad decisions from my opponents on the ladder when they play this pokemon.
Especially when Mevolving. It costs nothing to specify when you should not evolve to keep your ability (no matter which one it is).
On one of my teams, I opted for an Adamant nature with a spread avoiding the KO from Thundurus' Tbolt LO 100% of the time (88HP and 8SpD, but I need to check at home how I did split the remaining EVs between Atk and Spe). You also live Lando-t Stone Edge from the Scarf with some HP investment.
Anyway, even without the spread, you have a fair chance of surviving the Tbolt, and you always live it if it's not LO so the point remains that against many of its checks/counter (Thundurus, Lando-t, Excadrill Zapdos), Pinsir can manage to be more effective by MEvolving in a clever way.
Also, you still KO at +2 with Return Thundurus with your normal form, that's worthy to note I guess.

I hope I helped to fill up this section.
Well erm the thing about the whole abilities thing is you almost always Mega Evolve right away when you're running Hyper Cutter (the only good one) as Landorus-T switching in and Intimidating you has priority over Pinsir Mega Evolving, so I don't think there's anything to explain there.

I talked about Mega Evolving though, thanks :]

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well erm the thing about the whole abilities thing is you almost always Mega Evolve right away when you're running Hyper Cutter (the only good one) as Landorus-T switching in and Intimidating you has priority over Pinsir Mega Evolving, so I don't think there's anything to explain there.

I talked about Mega Evolving though, thanks :]
Hyper cutter isnt the only viable one though, even if you all made an agreement on "which one is in theory the best" ._.
And actually, I think this is REALLY important to know that Rock Slide from Excadrill or Stone Edge from Landorus-T doesn't kill you in normal form lol

But I'm not QC so w/e I guess ^.^

Hyper cutter isnt the only viable one though, even if you all made an agreement on "which one is in theory the best" ._.
And actually, I think this is REALLY important to know that Rock Slide from Excadrill or Stone Edge from Landorus-T doesn't kill you in normal form lol

But I'm not QC so w/e I guess ^.^
I can talk about how to play with Mold Breaker / Moxie in OO, but they won't be getting any large mentions due to being inferior.

I will list that those calcs though; I mentioned that Mega Evolving may not be optimal at times and listened an example, but I can give more examples if you feel they're important :]

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
list more examples, reymedy is right

i'd probably push up moxie to set details because it is decently viable. it's not really uncommon that you can nab a kill and then have that sweet +1 boost. sure it's not as overall useful as hyper cutter but it's not like you don't already do a lot of damage to lando-t, and has serious situational benefits.

Yeah ik I'm trying to say I agree but people are still arguing like I'm disagreeing ;_;

Also ok Moxie is moved up :]

Last edited:
Reactions: Muk

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Since Aegislash is banned, Feint is useless. I would keep it out of OO.

Add status to checks and counters. Burn and paralysis are both really detrimental to Mega Pinsir.

Priority should be added too, as most users of priority (Bisharp, Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, Azumarill, Mamoswine) cannot be OHKO'd by Mega Pinsir's own priority even when at +2.

In usage tips, add something about watching your defense drops after Close Combat. They can be surprisingly detrimental - to give you an example, LO Bisharp is actually capable of OHKOing Mega Pinsir after a single defense drop.

Do that and consider this QC Approved 1/3

feint isn't /useless/, it's another priority option that hits talonflame before it can brave bird, I assume it koes after sr at +2, preventing a revenge. id keep the mention.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
feint isn't /useless/, it's another priority option that hits talonflame before it can brave bird, I assume it koes after sr at +2, preventing a revenge. id keep the mention.
Oh, hahaha, I didn't know it had priority. My bad. Yeah, I guess it can be kept.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Slash EQ next to CC. It allows you to outright K0 Heatran from full since they can protect on the CC stay in live and knock you out. Also helps take priority sucker punches from bisharp/mega mawile + damages the latter way more

Slash EQ next to CC. It allows you to outright K0 Heatran from full since they can protect on the CC stay in live and knock you out. Also helps take priority sucker punches from bisharp/mega mawile + damages the latter way more
Done.

Also, while you didn't say this, I decided to slash Mold Breaker behind Hyper Cutter now since it actually becomes relevant if Earthquake is being used.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
This looks good man. Just change those bullet points to paragraphs so i can give you a qc check

Last edited:
Reactions: Muk

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You don't mention Rotom-W, Rhyperior, and Mega Aerodactyl in checks and counters, some of the most reliable answers to it. Also, i would specifically mention that Zapdos can take even a +2 Return after SR and OHKO back with Thunderbolt.

You don't mention Rotom-W, Rhyperior, and Mega Aerodactyl in checks and counters, some of the most reliable answers to it. Also, i would specifically mention that Zapdos can take even a +2 Return after SR and OHKO back with Thunderbolt.
Oh, how did I miss Rotom-W :/

Regardless, updated. Also mentioned Rotom-H too :]

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
you also forgot landt, hippo, and scarfzone

minor ones: mega amph, rotom-h, and diancie (lol but it's actually a solid af pinsir answer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)