VGC Pixies and Dragons: The VGC 2015 Fantasy Duo

In an attempt at real competitive play, I am designing a team that conforms to the rules of the VGC 2015. Keep in mind that I'm not the best at EV Yields yet, so those are always open to debate :) Also, each Pokemon is assumed to have 31 in all IV's unless stated otherwise.

Sylveon @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: Not 31 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Draining Kiss
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Trained as an attacker, Pixilate Sylveon can cause some nasty havoc with Pixilate Hyper Voice when boosted further with Life Orb. My reason for not equipping her with Choice Specs is because she doubles as both an attacker and a pseudo-cleric for the team, so I must have versatility in her move selection. Draining Kiss allows her to gain some decent health back due to her lack of any good form of recovery, and Heal Bell helps her teammates greatly. Protect is chosen because of the traditional play of VGC. Her nature and EV's were designed to make her a full-out attacker, maximizing her speed and special attack to their fullest. The four in defense may not be worth it too much, but in a predominantly physical tier, Sylveon needs all the defense she can get.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heat Wave
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

Another star attacker for my team, my specially trained M-Salamence will hit hard with Aerilate Hyper Voice. In his non-mega form, Salamence's Intimidate will activate and lower the foes' attack stats. Opposing Salamence who activate their own Intimidate, or any intimidate user for that matter, will pose no real threat to my Salamence's stats since he is not a physical attacker. Heat Wave deals with Steel-types who resist Salamence's other moves, and Dragon Pulse gives it a nice STAB attack in case it is needed. Protect is there in tradition of the VGC tier. His nature and EV Yield was designed similar to Sylveon's, but I am contemplating on changing his Modest nature to a Timid nature. Also, his 4 in defense can change to special defense if you all think that is a good idea.

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Protect

Enter the two-tailed, two screens Espeon, who serves a very important part on my team. With her dual screens and light clay, she can aid any teammate that enters onto the field with her. Naturally, she'll lead with Sableye or Empoleon so she can aid with their setups. She can also double with my attackers, throwing up a Light Screen or Reflect where it is needed. Psychic is on this move-set so Espeon does not become Taunt bait, and Protect is there for tradition. Her nature and EV Yield was designed to make her as fast as possible, but the EV's I've invested in HP are subject to change. Her EV's in Defense are also subject to change, but I prefer them there to give her a tiny edge on the defensive side.

Sableye @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Careful Nature
IVs: Not 31 SAtk
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Protect

Sableye, with Prankster, may not be original, but he is certainly useful. A couple of my Pokemon have trouble on the defensive side, but Sableye's Will-o-Wisp fixes that easily. Taunt and Protect annoy the opponent, and Knock Off gets rid of items and prevents Sableye from being Taunt bait itself. However, I am prepared for Taunt with the Mental Erb, so I shouldn't worry to much about that. His nature and EV Yield gives him some sturdy defensive capabilites on both the special and physical side, but the split in EV's is a bit nerve wracking. Please let me know if this yield is the suitable way to go with my Prankster Sableye.

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
IVs: Not 31 SAtk
- Night Slash
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Defiant to my foes, Bisharp is a teammate that serves a prominent role. He's a physical attacker, and the only one who can make a real impact on the opponent (as Sableye's Knock Off will not be doing too much damage.) Night Slash and Iron Head are the two, main STAB attacks, and Sucker Punch is a powerful priority move that overlooks Bisharp's average Speed stat. Protect is a traditional move that also helps Bisharp check what set its opponent is running. Bisharp is also another counter to Intimidate because after my Attack is lowered by one, its raised by two thanks to Defiant, essentially giving me a +1 in Attack. The Lum Berry will help Bisharp against any status problems he may face. His nature and EV Yield aid him in being a powerful physical attacker, an the 4 in HP gives him a tiny boost in his longevity. However, I have considered investing it differently if you all see a problem.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

With his steel that never rusts, Empoleon is an uncommon wall in the VGC tier. Scald (as suggest by Shaian), Protect, and even Flash Cannon seem common enough for an Empoleon during a double battle, but Stealth Rock isn't. Although entry hazards are often never seen in a doubles-centered tier like VGC, I am relying on Empoleon's good typing and defenses to safely set up Stealth Rock. Then, Protect gives me an extra turn to heal up with Leftovers. His nature and EV Yield are designed to make him more specially defensive, but this can change if you all think that the current yield is not suitable for the set he is running.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mental herb breaks you out of taunt or encore once. White herb removes stat drops once (i.e. gets rid of intimidate).

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, p solid team overall, I'm just offering some minor tweaks, if you don't mind. First off is to use Hydro Pump / Scald > Surf on Empoleon, since you have no immunities to Surf, so your hitting your own mons. Also Klefki would be a better choice for Dual Screens over Espeon. I'll add more once i get back from my exam :o

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
no, there's literally no point in running white herb and tbh I'd run lefties because you can already prankster taunt people before they taunt you

Hey there, p solid team overall, I'm just offering some minor tweaks, if you don't mind. First off is to use Hydro Pump / Scald > Surf on Empoleon, since you have no immunities to Surf, so your hitting your own mons. Also Klefki would be a better choice for Dual Screens over Espeon. I'll add more once i get back from my exam :o
I think I'll change Surf to Scald. Overall, I can trade in a little power for that burn chance :) and I'm not willing to give up Espeon. I know Klefki gets Prankster Screens, but Espeon's Magic Bounce is something I'd rather not give up. Thanks though, I'll consider Klefki for a future team ^^

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so going into more detail here are some ideas you can check out and see if you like:

1. On Sableye, try out an EV spread of 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD with an Impish Nature, this always lets you live a CB Talonflame Brave Bird, and the only trade off is 1 less SpD, which imo is worth it. If you want to keep the Careful nature, a spread of 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD hits the same benchmarks.

2. For Salamence, you should probably run Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse since the damage output is significantly better. Ideally with Salamence you should be inflicting dents with Hyper Voice and the use of Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse is for picking off bulkier threats or opposing dragons. And in many situations, Dragon Pulse is just underwhelming, for instance Timid Dragon Pulse never ohko's 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios, but Draco Meteor does. Also you should definitely consider Flamethrower / Fire Blast instead of Heatwave since the spread reduction (75% of normal damage) makes non-stab Heatwave a poor choice when alternatives are available, one notable instance is that Fire Blast from MMence is a guaranteed 2HKO on non-Leftovers / non- Occa Berry Aegislash, but Heatwave is merely a 2HKO. For reference:

252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 194-230 (124.3 - 147.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO vs 252 SpA Salamence Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 128-152 (82 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 84-100 (50.2 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO vs 252 SpA Salamence Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 56-66 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

*these are both adjusted for M-Salamences 120 SpA

3. Sylveon could definitely warrant the use of Helping Hand over Draining Kiss, because again, the shorter length of doubles style battling makes the chip damage from Life Orb less of an issue. Meanwhile Helping Hand when used in conjunction with Salamence, means you can force your way through less-bulky threats, and also give Salamence the power needed to break through bulkier ones such as Mega Venusaur. Meanwhile Draining Kiss is just a poor move in general, since the damage output is quite low and the style of play is a very fast paced offensive one. An example of how significant the damage output Helping Hand helps you get:

252 SpA Aerilate Salamence Helping Hand Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Mega Venusaur: 180-212 (96.2 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO versus 252 SpA Aerilate Salamence Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Mega Venusaur: 116-140 (62 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO + 252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Mega Venusaur: 46-54 (24.5 - 28.8%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO

Helping Hand + Mence Hyper Voice does more damage than dual Hyper Voice against types that resist fairy type moves. It's also useful for nabbing ko's on bulky steel types and Ice types that are threats to both Sylveon and Salamence, since Helping Hand + Fire Blast / Flamethrower can push a lot of 2hko's into OHKO territory.

4. Bisharp, Knock Off should be used instead of Night Slash. It is almost always better than Night Slash, since you often won't face an opponent without an item, barring Megas. It can also be used to remove items like Choice Scarfs or Specs from mons who need them, such as Scarf Lando, Eviolite users, and so on... I would also consider a Focus Sash instead of a Lum Berry, so you can ease your matchup against Heatran, Charizards, and Lando's, since you can absorb a hit and 2hko almost all of them with a combination of Stab move + Sucker Punch. Though that switch does make Rotom a bit more annoying, it's mitigated a bit by Heal Bell.

That's most of what I got, I'm not really well versed in the use of Espeon or Empoleon in doubles, so I can't really think of anything for them. Good luck mate, hope you have a great 2014 / 2015 season. Happy Holidays n_n7

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
is there a reason specifically for the non31 IVs listed, or is that just bad breeding?
I wouldn't call it bad breeding as much as those mons are never going to use physical / special attacks, and it's much easier to breed for 5 IVs than it is for 6. They don't serve any real function but I would assume are listed for completeness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)