PK Gaming's QC Assignment List

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just following up on Pocket's & AccidentalGreed's threads. I'm going to go over 13 Pokemon and determine if they need revamps or minor check ups. I'll be using my own discretion in order to determine what works and what doesn't, and i'll be testing out any sets that are "borderline" to see if they're viable. Feel free to chime in and post your thoughts on any of the Pokemon i'm currently examining. Without a further ado, let's get this magic show started!

#1 Blissey:

-Blissey did not receive any noteworthy moves from BW2; however, several new threats have been released and the majority of them give Blissey trouble.

-Keldeo, Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T are all of the new relevant special attackers added by BW2, and all of them can bypass Blissey in one way or another.
  • Keldeo has secret Sword to prey on Blissey's lower defense stat. It can also straight up 2HKO Blissey with Specs Hydro Pump in the rain.
  • Tornadus-T can use Superpower or U-turn for momentum (and it doesn't lose HP even if SR is in play)
  • Thundurus-T is capable of using Nasty Plot boosted Focus Blast, and unlike the original Thundurus it is immune to Thunder Wave.
-The increased popularity of Breloom fairly detrimental to Blissey.

• End Result: The current Blissey analysis will have to be formatted to include all of the BW2 threats, and the tone overall analysis should mention that Blissey's viability in the current has definitely taken a hit. That said I don't think Blissey deserves a complete revamp. The EV spread that Shrang suggested will be implemented, which will in turn end up changing the analysis since Blissey's a stronger special wall now.
  • OU worthy- Yes
  • Worth a revamp - No

#2 Zoroark:

-In terms of BW2 move tutors, Zoroark notably received Low Kick & Trick 2 moves that greatly enhance the Swords Dance set & Choice Specs (sets that needed boosts to stay viable imo)

-Low Kick could possibly see use on the all out attacker set as a slash alongside Focus Blast. Calculations against common BW threats will be done to determine if its a good idea.

-The new metagame is very unkind towards Zoroark. The new threats negatively impact Zoroark (Breloom with mach punch, Keldeo / Tornadus-T with their superior speed and strong STAB moves) and its new moves haven't noticeably increased its viability against OU threats. It helps that Tornadus-T & Thundurus-T are somewhat susceptible to Sucker Punch though and that the latter is naturally outsped by Zoroark but overall, Zoroark is worse than it used to be (it wasn't that good in OU to start with).

• End Result: I don't think the entire analysis needs to revamped. A simple SCMS edit of the new moves/metagame & editing of Zoroark's checks & counters will be enough. Since I wrote the Zoroark analysis for OU, I'll attempt to touch up the analysis as a whole (spelling, grammar, punctuation) and will work on making it more concise and better in general.
  • OU worthy- Yes
  • Worth a revamp - No

#3 Dragonite:

-Dragonite received Superpower as a move tutor, which means that the classic mixed attacker set can now use Superpower. I can also see Superpower having use on the Choice Band set as the 4th move option. Superpower targets almost everything that is weak to EQ sans Jirachi, (including Air balloon Heatran) who is targeted by Fire Punch anyway.

-Dragonite got even better in BW2. Its a good check to some newer top tier threats (Technician Breloom and Keldeo) and its main set has not lost effectiveness.

• End Result: The Dragonite analysis has gone through a lot of scrutiny, so I don't think it needs to be revamped. In terms of BW2, it hasn't really been negatively affected in anyway so its sets should all be viable. However, Dragonite has a ton of sets, and I don't all of them are actually viable in OU. I'll have to test them out and see if they're good or not. All of the good sets will be edited so they can include all of the new threats & Dragonites new moves(EX: Replacing all mentions of Inner focus with multiscale) should be enough.
  • OU worthy: Yes
  • Worth a revamp: No

#4 Farfetch'd:

-It's Farfetch'd

End Result: It's Farfetch'd
OU Worthy: It's Farfetch'd
Worth a revamp: It's Farfetch'd

# 5 Golurk:

-Golurk received its DW ability, No Guard, which means that the DynamicPunch + No Guard is now a possibility. Not amazing by any means, but its something should be considered. Golurk also received the elemental punches. Ice Punch specifically allows it to deal with Gliscor.

-It doesn't have much of a presence in the BW2 metagame, (in fact most of the new threats demolish it) but its still a handy Terrakion counter and a decent physical attacker.

• End Result: The Golurk analysis is fairly old (It was created in January 2011) so I wouldn't be opposed to it getting completely revamped. The analysis would have to cover Golurk's place in the metagame, new move tutor moves, DW ability, etc.
  • OU worthy: Niche at best, so maybe. A re-test will be needed
  • Worth of a revamp: Yes

#6 Jellicent:

-Jellicent got Trick & Giga drain, 2 moves that boosts Jellicent's Choice Specs set.

-It's been nerfed in the BW2 metagame by the introduction of Breloom and Thundurus-T, but not considerably. Old threats like Volcorona received Giga Drain, so Jellicent should be mindful of that too.

-It's a fairly good Keldeo counter provided that it carries Toxic (WoW can't wear down quickly enough). With special defense investment it is capable of countering most variants of Tornadus-T as well.

-It's possible that the sets will be re-ordered, but not until i've tested them out. (SpD vs Utility counter)

• End Result: The onsite Jellicent analysis is already solid, so only minor edits pertaining to the new BW2 threats will be mentioned. The Choice Specs needs to be updated because of the new BW2 tutor moves.
  • Worth a revamp: No*

#7 Mew

-Predictably, Mew received every single move tutor BW2 had to offer. Nothing of true value was gained however.

-In terms of BW2 threats, Mew matches favourably against aof them and does poorly against the rest. Most of Mew's sets can't really touch the new genies, but against Breloom Mew actually stands a chance. The standard support Mew is a good check to it (though Bullet Seed & Spore are very real threats that you need to watch out for). Keldeo will come out on top against Mew most of the time, but Psychic-STAB and a resistance to Secret Sword are decent. The inevitable rise of Latias / Latios is annoying, but its nothing that Mew can't handle. However, even despite that I predict that Mew will turn out just fine in the BW2 metagame. Its versatility and its almost signature ability to destroy stall teams is something that can't be quelled by a few new pokemon.

• End Result: I don't think the onsite analysis will need to be revamped, and simply mentioning the new threats introduced in BW2 should. However, just with Zoroark I plan on "trimming the fat" in the analysis. It's too wordy, bloated and stiff. I plan to make it succinct.
  • Worth of a revamp: No

#8 Liligant

-It hasn't notably been changed by BW2's metagame shifts (although it matches up favourably against most of them at +1. For example +1 HP Ice will OHKO Thundurus-T, and Tornadus-T in spite of Stealth Rock)

End Result: Despite going through little transitions from BW1 to BW2, Liligant will need a complete revamp because the original analysis is outdated. (mentions of pokemon that aren't seen in OU like Dusclops are made)
OU Worthy: Yes
Worth a Revamp: Yes

#9 Quagsire

-BW2 didn't really give Quagsire any noteworthy moves. I believe it can now use Ice Punch with Unaware, but that doesn't mean too much.

-Quagsire must have gotten an unlucky break since 3/4ths of the new Pokemon that were introduced in BW2 have their with Quagsire (Keldeo, Tornadus-T, Breloom destroy it without much effort) and the Pokemon that are attracted to Rain (Haxorus, Starmie, Kingdra) are effective against it too. Volcorona gains access to Giga Drain now, which means that it cannot be beaten by SpD Quagsire and it's powerful Unaware ability anymore.

-On silver lining is that the ubiquity of Thundurus-T means that Quagsire has a legitimate use over Gastrodon again (since +2 Focus Blast will do heavy damage to Gastrodon). The only way Thundurus-T can bypass Quagsire is with Grass Knot (a move that is rarely, if ever used on him)

End result:
  • BW2 isn't too great for Quagsire, but it just barely latches on due to the existence of Thundurus-T. The analysis will have to be revamped since the original analysis is outdated.
  • OU worthy: Maybe
  • Worth a revamp: Yes

#10 Sceptile

-Unsurprisingly, Sceptile didn't really get anything notable from the BW2 move tutors either.

-As long as Sceptile boasts 120 speed, decent coverage and a good SpA stat it will always see use. BW2 did little to change that, and Sceptile actually matches up semi favoroubly against the majority of them. The exception being Tornadus-T, who unfortunately outspaces Sceptile by a single speed base stat point.

• End Result: The Sceptile onsite analysis should mostly be left intact, with a few changes that specifically talk about the new BW2 threats.

# 11 Smeargle

-Nothing really changed for Smeargle. It still Spores. It still Baton Passes. It still gets OHKOed by everything, it still has middling speed... and its still the complete opposite of a conventional Pokemon. So even if a few threats have been added, nothing really has changed for Smeargle. Since it learns Sketch, the BW2 move tutors are inconsequential.

End Result:
  • The analysis could technically stay as is (maybe a brief mention of breloom in the counters section would work) but I wouldn't be opposed to it getting revamped. The current analysis for OU is kind of thin and outdated, so if someone who is serious about revamping Smeargle steps up to bat, that would be fine by me.
  • Worth a revampe: Maybe

#12 Throh

-It's alright, but not up to par.

End Result: The onsite analysis will be revamped since its outdated and a little thin.
OU worthy: Nah
Worth a revamp: Yes

#13 Virizion

-Virizion didn't getting from BW2 move tutors. However, its not half bad against the new threats. A decent check to both Keldeo & Thundurus-T, though Tornadus-T owns it pretty badly.

• End Result: In short, the metagame hasn't significantly changed Virizion in a way that requires to get a revamp (especially when you consider that it was recently updated). A few SCMS changes should be satisfactory. Work up and Dual Screen sets are being removed however.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
OK so I'll post here as a reference to what we discussed as a group on IRC about Virizion and Dragonite.

Virizion's main sets are fine, but Dual Screens and Work Up need to be scratched entirely as they are pretty much useless at this point in time.

Dragonite has far too many sets compared to what is actually used / feasible in the metagame, so we decided to scratch sets we found outclassed / not used.

'Tank Set' - pretty redundant after the mixed attacker in rain set, AND none of us have seen any usage out of it or can vouch for it's effectiveness.

'Bulky DD D-nite' - A lot of discussion about just adding fire punch into AC of the 'SubDD' Set for dnite, because this set is so similar in spread (a few EV's) and 1 move. 1 analysis for just 1 different move seems a bit redundant and we can save alot of clutter this way. However a final consensus wasn't reach so it was decided to leave it open to discussion here.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Even though Lilligant got Heal Bell, it already had Aromatherapy so nothing new here.

Also any justification as to why WU and DS Virizion will be removed? They haven't gotten any worse, so i can't see the reason. They are mediocre, yes, but they also were, when they got through QC.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We are cleaning up existing analysis (like some other pokemon) and the common consensus among many top players (and not just QC) is that they have little or no relevance in the metagame right now, however, you are welcome to try and push them through QC at a later date.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I used Zoroark a lot in BW1 and have used it in BW2, so I'll jump in regarding it.

Looking at the moves it got, it really doesn't need a full revamp at all. Just mention Trick on Choice sets, mention the new threats (especially Techniloom) and how Zoroark's teammates should be able to take care of them, and it should be good. I haven't tested Low Kick, but judging by the calcs I've done, I honestly don't think it's worth it. It's really only good against Tyranitar. Virtually all the other targets of Low Kick get hit harder by Focus Blast, except for I think Blissey and maybe Chansey as well, but Zoroark isn't beating them regardless (except for Nasty Plot + lots of hazards support). I would say Low Kick should be AC on the All-Out Attacker set at best.

Also, I believe Zoroark should have the Swords Dance set scrapped. I know you wrote the analysis, but that set is honestly the worst set Zoroark can run. Sucker Punch seems nice, but Bisharp has that same niche and one could probably argue that SD Bisharp is better than SD Zoroark (neither are really that good anyway). Plus, with things like Lucario and Terrakion in the metagame, what's the point? However, if you can justify keeping Swords Dance on the analysis, I won't argue with it.

252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD Bold / Calm is probably the best way to go, if people want to run bold go ahead, lose to specs-Politoed for all I care. The only problem I see maybe possibly with it is it doesn't take anything exactly better, it just adds a nice specially defensive cushion. Im am sure a more specialized set could be in order, but I don't see the point, and Bold vs Calm is easier to differentiate between in the analysis anyway.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
About Virizion, I actually think SD might be a more effective set than CM in this new metagame. With Keldeo around, Leaf Blade doesn't get softened by Calm Mind, while it can at least OHKO Tornadus-T with Stone Edge on the switch, something HP Ice can't achieve on the CM set. On the other hand, SD faces huge competition from Breloom now, so I don't know what we should do about the order of those two sets. Maybe test them out and see which is more effective, then put that as the first set?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks for the assist Yondie

I used Zoroark a lot in BW1 and have used it in BW2, so I'll jump in regarding it.

Looking at the moves it got, it really doesn't need a full revamp at all. Just mention Trick on Choice sets, mention the new threats (especially Techniloom) and how Zoroark's teammates should be able to take care of them, and it should be good. I haven't tested Low Kick, but judging by the calcs I've done, I honestly don't think it's worth it. It's really only good against Tyranitar. Virtually all the other targets of Low Kick get hit harder by Focus Blast, except for I think Blissey and maybe Chansey as well, but Zoroark isn't beating them regardless (except for Nasty Plot + lots of hazards support). I would say Low Kick should be AC on the All-Out Attacker set at best.
Message received. Just so you know, I wasn't going to give Zoroark a revamp (just to clear up any confusion).

Also, I believe Zoroark should have the Swords Dance set scrapped. I know you wrote the analysis, but that set is honestly the worst set Zoroark can run. Sucker Punch seems nice, but Bisharp has that same niche and one could probably argue that SD Bisharp is better than SD Zoroark (neither are really that good anyway).
The reason i'm confident in that set is because SD Zoroark is one of the few physical attackers who can bypass easily bypass Skarmory, no gimmicks involved. The existence of Bisharp's SD set shouldn't be the main reason why Zoroark's SD set should be removed because neither Pokemon really "exist" in OU and both of them have their individual pros and cons. (Zoroark is significantly faster than Bisharp and also has access to Illusion & Flamethrower, which I think are good enough benefits that make it viable. As probably already you know, +2 STAB suckerpunch is amazing lategame.

Plus, with things like Lucario and Terrakion in the metagame, what's the point? However, if you can justify keeping Swords Dance on the analysis, I won't argue with it.
If we went by that logic then half of the OU analysis' would be removed on the spot. I won't deny that Lucario and Terrakion are better, but Zoroark is an entirely different from those 2 and should be treated as such.

Just saying, we'll need to settle the EV spread matter on Blissey once and for all.
Noted.

About Virizion, I actually think SD might be a more effective set than CM in this new metagame. With Keldeo around, Leaf Blade doesn't get softened by Calm Mind, while it can at least OHKO Tornadus-T with Stone Edge on the switch, something HP Ice can't achieve on the CM set. On the other hand, SD faces huge competition from Breloom now, so I don't know what we should do about the order of those two sets. Maybe test them out and see which is more effective, then put that as the first set?
Double noted, Virizion was on my "to-test" list anyway.

I said this in the chat, but a lot of why Dragonite got a lot of sets was to avoid slashitis. For example, at one point the mixed sets were actually one set, with the "Draco Meteor" flavour moves in the first slashes and the "Hurricane" flavour moves in the second slashes. What I might have done at this point was post all the DD sets, Choice Band, and the "M Dragonite" rain tank, and hang the others out in a "lost and found" so people could claim whether they were actually worth keeping in. Maybe a "lost and found" approach is worth doing with some of these Pokémon.

Jellicent

I would like to heavy mention or even a slash for Night Shade on Jellicent. Night Shade means that Jellicent can actually break the Subs of Keldeo/do consistent damage even when boosted. Similarly it also allows Jellicent to touch a boosting Volcarona and Gyarados. It isn't necessarily a bad move for stall breaking either since it does significantly more damage against bulky targets than Scald >_>

Mew

While gimmicky, maybe have the time to add on an all-out-transform set. It isn't necessarily outclassed by ditto because it isn't tied to scarf. While Transform is slapped on there you can make mew very annoying to take down with Softboiled+Heal Bell. Speaking of Heal Bell, maybe put emphasis on it because it is one of OU's few clerics?

Mew

While gimmicky, maybe have the time to add on an all-out-transform set. It isn't necessarily outclassed by ditto because it isn't tied to scarf. While Transform is slapped on there you can make mew very annoying to take down with Softboiled+Heal Bell. Speaking of Heal Bell, maybe put emphasis on it because it is one of OU's few clerics?
I'd like to point out that Mew can't have Softboiled or Heal Bell after it uses Transform, because Transform copies the opponent's moves.

I'd like to point out that Mew can't have Softboiled or Heal Bell after it uses Transform, because Transform copies the opponent's moves.
Yeah I know, its there though because you will primarily changing into the other opponents moveset. So before you transform you keep yourself as healthy as possible

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Message received. Just so you know, I wasn't going to give Zoroark a revamp (just to clear up any confusion).
I knew that you didn't intend to give it a revamp, I intended to agree with you that it shouldn't get one. I probably should have made that a little more clear, sorry about that.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Jellicent

I would like to heavy mention or even a slash for Night Shade on Jellicent. Night Shade means that Jellicent can actually break the Subs of Keldeo/do consistent damage even when boosted. Similarly it also allows Jellicent to touch a boosting Volcarona and Gyarados. It isn't necessarily a bad move for stall breaking either since it does significantly more damage against bulky targets than Scald >_>
I ended up asking my fellow QC members about the uses of Night Shade since I've never used it, but the consensus was that it was a mediocre move choice that couldn't fit on the standard. Scald, Recover, WoW & Taunt are practically none negotiable moves. If you were to run any kind of non-attacking move it would probably be Shadow Ball so that you can get some meaningful damage on Starmie and Lati@s.

Mew

I feel like actually testing this, since I've always had a penchant for Transform Mew. Though the set I used originally (Transform + Hypnosis / healing / taunt with 252hp/252defense) didn't really work out well so i'm going to try other things.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jellicent may need a small update on the Choice Specs set. It got Trick and Giga Drain, which the former can be used to cripple some walls when you're out of Water Spout range, the latter can replace Energy Ball since it's better in pretty much every way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)