ORAS UU Plants vs. Zombies: A Trip to the Peruvian Fields

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

A Tribute to LilOu, text and art courtesy of yours truly, with special thanks to SPEBSQSA.

INTRODUCTION

I feel like it’s somehow long overdue and people wanted to see me showcase another masterpiece again; I could’ve done this way earlier if it weren’t for my extremely busy schedule. Anyway, what brings me to write another RMT article once again is that one of the Pokémon in this team became subject to serious discussion regarding its stellar impact in the metagame. Fortunately, it remained in the tier, which prompted me to continue working on this long-overdue article. While that Pokémon isn’t the “star” of the show, it maintains as one of the biggest catalysts to the team’s success since its inception.

If that Pokémon wasn’t the star, one might ask what Pokémon are featured in this team. Yes, two Pokémon are featured in this team: one whom trainers typically run as a Calm Mind user or as an offensive Trick Room user, and the other whom trainers actually overlook because of its horrid weakness to Stealth Rock and its rather mediocre Attack stat. The goal of this team is to exert pressure to defensive teams with the former’s unconventional set, and to provide an opening for the latter to set up and to take advantage of its incredible ability that allows it to defeat most of the opposition before they could even strike. While there is one missing element that would make it very successful, this balanced team has the tools sufficient enough to pose a threat in the Underused metagame.

This team has brought huge waves of success after the farewell of Injustice: Gods Among Us thanks to the departure of Salamence. Speaking of Salamence, its absence flourished the team greatly to a point that I am very willing to share this team to some of the people I know before putting it in an RMT article. As such, allow me to share with you how this team evolved over ten months as the metagame shifted and grew.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

HISTORICAL ACCOUNTS

This team started as a request from SPEBSQSA in the Underused Teambuilding Lab. His requested core tempted me to build with it, which I happily took the request. Initially, I started building the core by giving one of his requested Pokémon the support it needed by virtue of covering weaknesses and resistances, so I ended up using Christo’s most trusted balanced core. The final Pokémon whom I called the catalyst was then added as the sole stall breaker of the team.

Initially, the team granted a modest amount of success; that variant allowed me to win my first 21 battles on the ladder using a fresh account during that time; while I was, at first, satisfied with the output, I felt there’s an element missing upon playing that team myself.

. . . . .

I read through numerous resources available in the Underused Subforum until I stumbled through a forum post by Yettison which features one of SPEBSQSA’s requested Pokémon and another Pokémon that would exert pressure to defensive teams; therefore, I gave that core a try and consequently overhauled the team. Incidentally, I realized that the final output became reminiscent of the team I used against Bouff in Week 6 of the third iteration of Underused Premier League.

This is the team that brought bigger waves of success than the first variation, and other players can attest to how amazing this team can be. As of this moment, the team remains undefeated in official tournament exposure, most notably in the fifth iteration of Smogon Grand Slam's UU Open. While they lost in the whole series, Memoric (Round 1, Game 2 vs. Sam I Yam) and SunnyORAS (Round 2, Game 1 vs. Adaam) managed to defeat their respective opponents with this team. Confide, on the other hand, defeated atomicllamas with this team in Game 1 and advanced past Round 2. I used this team in Round 2 of UU Open V as well, and I sealed the victory over my opponent 0Nl in a rather convincing fashion.

Greetings of peace, fellow members of the Smogon community. Today, we will witness the team as a tribute to one of my friends, LilOu, as he is one of the biggest reasons why this team became a reality. Allow me to showcase to you one of my successful teams in the ORAS UU metagame: “Plants vs. Zombies: A Trip to the Peruvian Fields”!

INTRICACIES OF THE TEAM

I first built the team by using one of the Pokémon SPEBSQSA requested in the Underused Teambuilding Lab. What intrigued me in his request is the unconventional use of a set which, I believed, brought stellar potential in taking down the opposition while surviving even the most deadly of Special attacks. This Pokémon brought me newfound inspiration in building this team, and no other Pokémon could do that as gracefully as Reuniclus.

Infi-nut (Reuniclus) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball​

What sets it apart from the conventional Reuniclus sets is the use of Assault Vest, allowing it to take any Special Attack (even Hydreigon’s Dark Pulses) with ease while being capable of taking out the opposition with its coverage moves coupled with its subtle yet threatening 125 Base Special Attack. While its popularity isn’t as prevalent as the Calm Mind and Offensive Trick Room sets, this Reuniclus set started by LilOu remains a low-profile threat for most Pokémon to handle.

The crux of the set is Future Sight, one of the most threatening moves if the opponent doesn’t tread carefully. While it has to wait for two turns before Future Sight can do its job, Reuniclus has already done its job in exerting offensive pressure against most archetypes. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are near mandatory for Reuniclus to cover Pokémon that would easily take Future Sight damage (most especially Dark-types due to their immunity to Future Sight). Psyshock would be a very tempting move to use as an alternative attack boosted by STAB, but with Swampert being a potential threat to this team, Energy Ball is the most desirable move to eliminate it early in the game.

While Magic Guard ignores Status conditions from taking its toll on Reuniclus’s health, Regenerator allows this particular Reuniclus set from taking a lot of damage from most Special attackers, only to have their most valiant efforts wasted once Reuniclus switches out. Therefore, this Reuniclus bearer must examine the opponent’s team whether it has a potential Pursuit user (such as Absol and Krookodile), and use it aggressively by using Future Sight and switch out to its appropriate switch-in whenever possible. It has proven time and time again (no pun intended) that this set can definitely take no prisoners and can definitely win games.

As per LilOu, this set’s EV spread is customizable, tailored to suit the player’s needs. However, I ended up devising a spread that can maximize Reuniclus’s potential, with great thanks from King UU. Maximizing its Special Defense EVs is mandatory as it can help survive even the most grueling of Special attacks. 136 Special Attack EVs coupled with a Modest nature puts it in a jump point to maximize the damage output while minimizing the damage taken from Special Attackers with 120 HP EVs.

. . . . .

Initially, I gave the other Pokémon SPEBSQSA requested all the support it needed to attain a sweep through Christo’s most trusted balanced core. With the realization that Sableye would be a pain to deal with in the first draft, I ended up using Reuniclus as a starting point due to its great offensive pressure brought by Future Sight and stumbled upon a core posted by Yettison and immediately gave it a try. After a series of test matches, I have fully attested that Choice Band Heracross is the best Pokémon to pair with Assault Vest Reuniclus.

Squash (Heracross) @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Sleep Talk​

Heracross provided all the offensive support Reuniclus needed to exert pressure to most archetypes (notably defensive ones); its STAB attacks in Megahorn and Close Combat prove way too much for the Pokémon resisting Reuniclus’s Future Sight to handle. As such, with Future Sight ticking, Heracross puts the opponent’s team in a very precarious position: either switching out to its proper switch-in then end up being obliterated by Future Sight or staying in then end up being destroyed by one of Heracross’s STAB attacks. Giving Heracross Choice Band bolsters its wall breaking abilities, giving more meaning to Reuniclus’s purpose.

While Megahorn and Close Combat are provided as the main attacks thanks to its boost from STAB, Knock Off is another move worth putting in one of Heracross’s slots. Heracross has a natural tendency to scare opponents thanks to its strong STAB attacks; Knock Off is a good way of opening the game by scouting for potential switch-ins and by scouting for potential game-changing items. Finally, the last slot is a toss-up, and upon final analysis of the team, all Pokémon will be disabled when they are asleep. As such, Sleep Talk is used in the final slot to select any of the three attacks while taking advantage of the boost from Guts.

While Heracross’s main role is to break walls with its menacing STAB attacks, it provides another role integral to the success of the team. Note that the Reuniclus set given has Regenerator, which means that the lack of Magic Guard would end up having succumbed to indirect damage, especially Status conditions such as Burn and Poison. This is where Heracross comes into play to catch all those Status conditions (barring a freeze) and become one of the most menacing wall breakers to ever grace in this tier.

No description would best describe Heracross’s EV spread other than straightforward. Maximizing Attack and Speed EVs optimizes Heracross’s wall breaking potential, and giving it Jolly nature allows it to tie with Nidoking and other Pokémon with Base 85 Speed. The remaining EVs are devoted to Special Defense such that Heracross wouldn’t fall short in breaking walls whenever needed, provided it catches a burn or (normal) Poison.

. . . . .

The prevalence of Fairy-type Pokémon makes Heracross’s and Reuniclus’s lives miserable as they struggle in taking them down. As such, Steel-type Pokémon are of great help for the wall breaking duo to provide an immediate stop for those Pokémon such as Sylveon and Florges. Two candidates stand out for the role; incidentally, both happen to have Mega Evolutions. Upon further analysis of the team, the team needs something to completely stop Volt Switch users, which eventually leads me to using Mega Steelix.

Wall-nut (Steelix) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake​

While Mega Aggron can be used interchangeably with Mega Steelix in this team so as to serve as an answer to Pokémon such as Gyarados and Feraligatr, no other bulky Steel-type Pokémon can block Volt Switches outright other than Mega Steelix, which is its biggest selling point thanks to its added Ground typing. While Mega Steelix trades its Electric immunity with an added Water weakness, Mega Steelix can still perform well in this team; besides, Reuniclus’s Energy Ball can take care of most Water-types for Mega Steelix (it covers most notably Swampert to eliminate it early in the game).

Heavy Slam and Earthquake are Mega Steelix’s potent STAB attacks. Despite the lack of Attack investment, it can still deal massive damage against all Fairy-types with Heavy Slam, and it is the Pokémon that would be consistent in dealing the maximum damage output possible because of its weight. Mega Steelix also serves as a catalyst for Reuniclus with Future Sight ticking; with opposing Umbreon having Protect most of the time, Reuniclus’s and Heracross’s efforts are wasted, and this is where Mega Steelix’s Roar comes into play as it bypasses Protect and let Future Sight do the damage against the forced switch-in. Finally, Mega Steelix is very capable of laying the most important entry hazard to the opposition, which is no other than Stealth Rock; alongside Roar it can practically damage the forced switch-in.

The team’s goal is to provide the tools needed for SPEBSQSA’s requested Pokémon to shine. In the case of Mega Steelix, it provides a much needed pivot to most attacks and provides a staple entry hazard such that Heracross’s and Reuniclus’s attacks turn from mere heavy blows into potentially fatal hits. While Wish support is very welcome, it is not needed for this team as micromanaging pivots like Mega Steelix for an environment like this defeats the overall purpose of the team.

The EV spread for Mega Steelix is designed to maximize bulk on both sides of the spectrum; while it has a stellar Defense stat, Mega Steelix is much more suited in taking some Special Attacks with ease. 16 Defense EVs with an Impish nature is essentially enough as it reaches the minimum jump point. While 248 HP EVs are placed such that Mega Steelix doesn’t end up having an even HP number and at the same time maximizing its bulk, the rest of the EVs are placed to Special Defense because its Steel typing is designed to take a lot of attacks from the Special spectrum, Moonblasts included.

. . . . .

The team would then struggle to Fire attacks, which makes Entei all the more threatening with Sacred Fire. As such, I found a bulky Water-type being mandatory for a balanced team like this. Tentacruel would then become an instant fit in this team as it provided a lot of utility options for the whole team.

Tangle Kelp (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Haze​

The reason why most players end up having Tentacruel in their teams because it provides more than they could ask for; while Tentacruel’s main job is to clear entry hazards that were laid out by the opposition, the sheer utility it provides is very stellar to a point players think they would fall short not fulfilling if it were to choose other Pokémon fit for the hazard-clearing role. No wonder this team isn’t an exception to the trend.

Tentacruel excels not just in clearing hazards laid out by the opponent, but also in setting up Toxic Spikes and disrupting any potential set-up sweepers with Haze. Toxic Spikes can augment Reuniclus’s (and Heracross’s, to an extent) purpose of taking down most Pokémon with Future Sight, among other moves, because most defensive Pokémon in the Special spectrum would succumb to Poison damage that would put them in a precarious position whether to continue being productive or not. The team will end up being usually weak to set-up sweepers (most especially Suicune) if it weren’t for Tentacruel’s Haze to stop it. Finally, Scald is the most ideal STAB attack for a bulky Water Pokémon like Tentacruel as it can fish for a potential burn to most opponents either with an immunity to Toxic Spikes thanks to their typing or with Toxic Spikes not yet laid out.

Tentacruel is one of the most accessible candidates for hazard control in this tier; Zapdos’s and Salamence’s departure crushes the presence of hazard control to an all-time low. As such, teams employing a hazard stacking strategy deems to be a deadly force not to be underestimated with given the state of the tier. While some hazard clearers have some distinct characteristics that would set apart from Tentacruel, most of the time, they would struggle in fulfilling their role as a hazard clearer; Tentacruel has very minimal opportunity cost, a factor helpful enough in taking care of some of the menacing Pokémon in the tier.

The EV spread for this Pokémon once again takes advantage of jump points because it has to outpace teams with an orientation towards Bulky Offense. Tentacruel doesn’t afford to lose its overall bulk for the sake of achieving its Leftovers number; therefore, it needs to have 248 HP EVs. Sitting at 253 Speed is a decent benchmark to outpace for Pokémon such as Nidoqueen; therefore, 176 Defense EVs coupled with a Bold nature achieves the jump point while pumping the rest of its EVs to Speed. While the spread 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe along with a Timid nature seems very tempting to use, the role Tentacruel plays in this team is more of a pivot that needs to take damage from strong attacks such as Entei’s Sacred Fire and Mienshao’s High Jump Kick.

. . . . .

With Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes up, there has to be something that would take care of Pokémon employing a different form of hazard control, which is Defog (I can get away with opposing Rapid Spin users, anyway). With that in mind, a Taunt user is most welcome in the team, which is definitely reminiscent of Christo.’s old archived team. As such, I put Hydreigon in this slot to fulfill just that, and more.

Snapdragon (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse​

Hydreigon, while not the star of the show as I have mentioned in the introduction, is actually one of the reasons why I am showcasing this team. The insane damage output brought by two of its potent STAB moves, Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse, alongside its sheer versatility, puts the opponent in a precarious position to a point it has to scout for Hydreigon’s other moves (and, of course, its potential hold item), which is the crux of the argument for the most recent Suspect test. Hydreigon being a catalyst to the success of virtually any team makes it a top-tier Pokémon, and it is never a surprise this Pokémon fits into this team very well.

While more players are inclined to use Hydreigon as a momentum grabber with a Choice item equipped, this Life Orb set takes advantage of the sheer power brought by its menacing STAB attacks while having the freedom to switch moves in between turns; the Life Orb damage will be negated by Roost, anyway. However, Taunt serves as the main draw of the set which disallows the opponent from doing anything productive such as healing and disrupting.

Incidentally, the trio of Hydreigon, Mega Steelix, and Tentacruel has become the backbone of one of my successful teams I used to defeat Bouff during Week 6 of the third iteration of the Underused Premier League. Hydreigon is the catalyst for Mega Steelix and Tentacruel because the Taunt set will definitely disarm any Defog users from wasting Mega Steelix’s and Tentacruel’s valued efforts in laying down Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes respectively; that alone can exert pressure to the opposing team. Speaking of exerting pressure, Reuniclus and Heracross can also benefit from Hydreigon’s current set as Hydreigon’s Taunt shuts down any Pokémon from doing anything productive such as using Wish after it survives an attack from either Heracross or Reuniclus, only to have their efforts wasted.

Like Heracross, Hydreigon’s EV spread screams straightforward once again. All it needs is to optimize its offensive potential by maximizing both Special Attack and Speed EVs and put a Timid nature such that it doesn’t let any slower Pokémon to outpace it. Finally, the remaining EVs are put into Special Defense such that Porygon2 and Porygon-Z will instead raise its Attack from Download as they usually take advantage of its Special Attack.

. . . . .

Finally, the last slot is dedicated to the remaining half of SPEBSQSA’s requested Pokémon. There are a lot of hidden gems worth trying in the tier; while they consider most of my teams with Pokemon never seen before being “memes”, such as Belly Drum Marill (cf: An Apocalyptic Alleluia) and Substitute Regigigas with paralysis support at the back (cf: Iron Chef Season 1: Speed Control), I give assurance to myself and to everyone in the Underused Room that I build around them because I see a potential in them. As a builder looking forward to see some hidden gems doing work in the tier, I happily took his request in the Teambuilding Lab. The other Pokémon SPEBSQSA wanted to build alongside Assault Vest Reuniclus is no other than Fletchinder.

Red Stinger (Fletchinder)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 24 HP / 232 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Acrobatics​

While Fletchinder is no meme (Linda aside) since some highly-recognized players such as Pak and Shiba utilized teams featuring this Pokemon to great degrees of success, some players have no idea how they wanted to build a team around this Pokémon because the first thing that sprung into their minds is its horrid weakness to Stealth Rock. The reason why Fletchinder is featured in this team, among other possible set-up sweepers, is because this team lacks any viable priority attack, and Fletchinder provided one of the strongest priority attacks ever graced the tier: Gale Wings-boosted Acrobatics.

While Conkeldurr’s Mach Punch (with Choice Band, Adamant Nature, and Iron Fist) can slightly outdo Fletchinder’s Acrobatics in terms of damage output, what sets Fletchinder apart is the addition of Swords Dance, which makes it more of a monster when executed right. Of course, Fletchinder has to hold no item such that Acrobatics can provide a maximum damage output every time (unless Flying Gem exists in this generation). While Acrobatics and Swords Dance are enough to warrant a sweep, there are a few options worth using. There are times that Fletchinder can’t squeeze a turn to sweep because a lot of threats are still around: Will-O-Wisp is one good option to take care of most Steel-types that can reliably take Acrobatics; Roost is also a nice move to have to recover all the damage taken from Stealth Rock if that wasn’t cleared out, and to promote more set-up opportunities with Swords Dance.

Most of the time, players like myself have this pattern of building a team around a certain Pokémon, and support around that Pokémon in terms of roles, weaknesses, and resistances. This team, however, broke such boundaries in team building; while it maintains a sense of balance and direction, Fletchinder relies on the pressure the teammates exerted to reach to the opening it needs to come through; that’s why this theoretically serves as the win condition for the team, though it only happens in some cases, since the teammates are doing their roles against different team structures.

The EV spread for Fletchinder takes advantage of its oddly placed base Attack stat; as such, 232 Attack EVs coupled with an Adamant nature are invested. While standards have put a certain amount of Speed EVs outpace Adamant Honchkrow and avoid being first hit by Sucker Punch, there are a lot of Pokémon lying around in the 250 Speed region, which means that Fletchinder may be outpaced by other Pokémon such as Cloyster and Slurpuff when it’s not using Acrobatics, hence the investment in Speed EVs maximized, consequently giving the rest of the EVs into HP.

LIST OF NOTABLE FLAWS

Of course, the team is not in its perfect form whatsoever, and not all teams can be considered perfect with all the threats, whether prevalent or hidden, lying in the tier, and with all the gaps the team needed to fill. In this team, one of the most notable flaws I have discovered after a series of battles is the lack of momentum by virtue of Volt Switch and U-turn. While VoltTurn strategies are currently dominant in any play style, this team didn’t manage to squeeze in such essence (which is very vital in exerting some form of pressure against other opposing offensive teams in my opinion); however, what makes up for the lack of momentum is exerting another form of offensive pressure that would take out any other team with a huge degree of success. Lack of momentum aside, here are the most notable threats that would steamroll the team with relative ease, although it can be played around with the help of long-term planning.

- Among all the Fighting-type Pokémon available in the tier, I find Conkeldurr the most annoying to face. Reuniclus’s sluggish movement means that it has to take a super-effective Knock Off before it has to prepare an attack with its only super-effective Future Sight. With Conkeldurr’s good HP and Defense stats, it can take an Acrobatics fairly reliably, and with Bulk Up sets taking the tier by storm, my team would struggle to beat that specific Conkeldurr set.

- Among all the possible Dragon Dancers the team would like to face, this is the team’s worst nightmare. Since I can’t afford to replace Mega Steelix with Mega Aggron thanks to its innate ability to absorb Volt Switches easily, Gyarados can easily switch in and use Dragon Dance against everyone in the team. In particular, a Gyarados set with Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Earthquake, and any other move (be Bounce or Ice Fang) can be a huge pain to deal with, as Fletchinder’s Acrobatics will be a last-ditch effort to take out Gyarados if it is significantly weakened.

- It may seem ironic that my team would be weak to one of the Pokémon in my own team, but it’s actually true. The best scenario for this situation is to scout an attack with Reuniclus, since its Assault Vest can take any Special attack in any form; however, if there’s a potential Pursuit user paired alongside opposing Hydreigon (probably Mega Aerodactyl or Krookodile), it would spell doom once it’s revealed that the opposing Hydreigon has U-turn. Therefore, long-term planning is definitely a must when Reuniclus is needed to stay alive at all costs.

CONCLUSION

All the glaring flaws and threats aside, this team is actually one of the teams I loved the most, and almost all of my friends from the Underused Community and from the other spheres of the Smogon community would love, too. I also have this feeling that unlike my last RMT named Injustice: Gods Among Us, this team will be forever in my heart and will be forever used in the tier (unless tier policies say otherwise) since Hydreigon remained in the UU tier.

Here it is, fellow members of the Smogon community: my RMT article-long-overdue-but-actually-not-overdue-thanks-to-Hydreigon-not-being-banned in its inception: “Plants vs. Zombies: A Trip to the Peruvian Fields”. As much as I have gone to an extremely busy schedule to a point that devoting my time to Pokémon Showdown has decreased significantly, I am still not saying any farewells yet. Unlike most RMT articles that devote a portion of it for shout-outs, I’d rather put it in a separate post so that everyone I could give a shout-out deserves to get tagged to bask in the beauty of the team.

This is your fellow Underused community member and fellow Iron Chef Euphonos, signing out. Until we meet again.

Last edited:
Hey man, I love reading your rmts. It's so nicely formatted and filled with content. Anyway, I took look at your threat list and figured out some changes that might benefit your team.

I find it incredibly hard to check bulk up conkeldurr without using something like haze crobat, sylveon, or just a ton of offensive pressure. I think with this team, it was a smart choice to use haze on tentacruel since you can reset the boosts in a pinch and pressure it with fletchinder.

In my mind, when looking through a team the first thing I think about is how does this team deal with hydreigon. This team actually struggles quite a bit with it since you have no real way to pivot around the sets and entirely rely on fletchinder to do something. The first change I recommend is using Assault Vest Conkeldurr over Banded Heracross. AV conk significantly takes away from the breaking potential of the team in exchange for a short term answer to hydreigon and an offensive answer due to mach punch. However, AV conk isn't just a sitting duck since it can pressure defensive teams fairly well as a switch in to weak scalds and abuse the burn.

Removing heracross kind of ruins the dynamic you had with AV Future Sight Reuniclus but I think it's for the best since you become more solid in the long run. The next change I have in mind is changing the AV to leftovers and running a simple calm mind set on reuniclus. With this, you gain (in my opinion), an extremely solid win condition vs slower teams to make up for the breaking power the hera change brought. As for the second attack, I haven't thought it through entirely but I'm leaning towards either Focus Blast. Calm mind reuni brings a new dynamic to the team by posing an immediate threat and forcing the opponent to play their dark types much more aggressively. If you manage to nail the dark with focus blast then your reuni is opened up but if not, then fletchinder is likely opened up to SD and sweep. Thinking about reuni checks in the tier (specifically to the focus blast set, think doublade, escavelier, sableye, and then offensive checks), fletchinder can pressure those quite easily along with hydreigon. To summarize, CM Reuni adds a new dynamic to your team that was removed from future sight reuni + hera by acting as a win condition and opening up opportunities for fletchinder.

The last change that I think will help is if you use a Scarf Hydreigon over Taunt+Roost. I think in the original team it was a bit overkill anyway since you have sd fletch, band hera, and a powerful reuniclus. A scarf hydreigon will help immensely in revenge killing threats like +1 gyarados. It lessens the pressure off talonflame and gives your team sufficient speed control outside of priority moves.

Also, a small change: you should run 96 Speed on Tentacruel to outspeed adamant mamoswine.

I think with these changes your team will be able to address the threats in your list much better. To sum up:

Band Hera -> AV Conk
AV Reuni -> CM Reuni
LO Hydrei -> Scarf Hydrei

I don't have a good spread for AV conk sorry :(

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn

Apologies in advance if there is anything confusing in my post. It's late here so I'll reread this in the morning and edit. Hope I helped and thanks for sharing this very cool team!

Hi Clarion, I like this team a lot and I've been using my own version of it ever since you posted it in the uu forum. What I preferred to use is AV Conk over CB Heracross and standard phys def CM Reuni over what you're using now. I used AV Conk to have a decent check to Hydreigon, Kyurem, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Blastoise which your team currently lacks, or at least something that can force them out before I'm able to set up reuniclus or fletchinder. Then I changed Reuni to CM ehich feasts on the bulky stuff that takes advantage of Steelix, Fletch, Conk, and to a degree Tentacruel. They complement each other and the rest of the team quite well, and both especially appreciate the TSpikes support from Tentacruel. Max SpDef Bulk Up Conkeldurr could also work, I just preferred the more immediate power, ability to more easily switch into those special attackers and force them out, and the ability to deal with CM Roar Suicune more easily.

As far as EVs go, Tentacruel needs to outspeed Mamoswine (use a Timid nature to get the most out of your EVs) and Fletch generally just needs to outspeed Adamant Metagross and Mega Swampert, and the extra HP investment will let you set up on defensive Sylveon much more easily.

Cool team and RMT.

Edit: Jesus Christ, got sniped with the exact same changes damn, great minds etc etc :D I like the scarf hydreigon change too, never thought about it but it's definitely beneficial as well.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
obii and dodmen, I would like to thank you for the unexpected string of rates. I truly appreciate them.

What sets Choice Band Heracross apart from Assault Vest Conkeldurr, provided all of the suggestions have materialized, is the capability to answer Sableye. While Assault Vest Conkeldurr gets that burn from Guts, I don't think a single Knock Off would take down Sableye which consequently Recovers the next turn and wait for the Conkeldurr to succumb to Burn damage afterward, unlike Heracross who can just defeat Sableye with a single Megahorn with or without burn. Nonetheless, I can see Assault Vest Conkeldurr doing significant work in the long run as it also provides another much-needed Priority attack to deal with Hydreigon among other Pokemon; therefore, I will take that into consideration as well.

As for the Calm Mind Reuniclus suggestion, I think Cresselia fits the bill better thanks to stellar bulk and its near mandatory move in Moonblast to deal with Sableye. One of the pressing issues that I have experienced in the team as well is Choice Specs Sylveon, in which the Reuniclus, with my current set, is taking ~40% with Hyper Voice before I could even attack; before it would even set up Calm Mind, Sylveon would deal much more damage than the current set, so I'm thinking Cresselia would be a better choice here.

While this RMT was made in the spirit of SPEBSQSA's request at the Underused Teambuilding Lab, I will still take into consideration all of the suggestions you have.

I actually haven't used this team against Conkeldurr yet. I think I played against one or two Gyarados users but between future sight doing hilarious amounts of work and SR damage, I got it in range for Linda to KO both times.

I enjoy this team mostly because of Reuniclus's unique ability to come in as a pivot on most attacks, absorb them AND heal AND apply pressure all in one go. Future sight provides an interesting type of momentum because it constrains your opponent's option for a SECOND switch. It can come in on a generic attack, force in (for example) Hydreigon to absorb the potential psychic STAB, then switch out, psuedo-trapping the psychic resist/immunity in for a turn against your offensive check of choice. Either your opponent switches out, taking the brunt of Future Sight on a less optimal target, or they stay in, and their psychic resist gets whacked by something it doesn't enjoy taking. It creates a very unique way of breaking down walls that I have enjoyed for quite some time now.

Seeing this RMT and all the discussion has reminded me that I have teambuilding to catch up on...maybe I'll play around with using this Reuniclus set again and see where it takes me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)