Player of the Week 15: Champion Fizz

Champion Fizz
Favorite Pokemon: Nincada
Playstyle: Balanced
Most Used Pokemon: Tirtouga
Kavatika: Tell us a little about yourself?

Champion Fizz: Well, I'm 16 years old (in high school) and I spend most of my spare time playing Pokemon, writing and playing music or just chilling with friends. I'm a pretty avid gamer, but I still find time to play sports or practice drawing. I've got a pretty busy schedule most of the time, but I use a computer for school so I usually have time for PS and Smogon.

Kavatika: How and when did you start playing LC? Do you remember your first team?

Champion Fizz: I started Pokemon when I was 6, and played on Pokemon Online for a little while, but only last year did I really start get involved in the competitive scene and Smogon. Like most people, I started off in OU, laddering and playing with friends until a good friend of mine, BorealisTV, told me I should get involved with Little Cup. I started frequenting the chatroom on PS, starting right after the Tangela/Yanma meta, and laddering under the name "Mixed Nuts" with a weird Regen and Fake Out team, consisting of Mienfoo, Aipom, Slowpoke, Foongus, Onix and Chinchou. I posted a pastebin of my team in the chat and I got some pointers from Antgeezy and Shaymin :D if I recall correctly. I rebuilt the team to fit the meta, laddered some more, got involved in the chatroom, and the rest is history.

Kavatika: What is your favorite element of LC?

Champion Fizz: It has to be the ability to use a lot of different Pokemon. I know that the meta kinda revolves around a select few Pokemon and the checks/counters for said Pokemon, but I really enjoy the fact that I can run different Pokemon (and different movesets) to some success. I also love the fact that Stall isn't common, because I despise Stall.

Kavatika: What do you think of the Misdreavus and Fletchling suspect test? Do you agree or disagree and why?

Champion Fizz: I didn't want Misdreavus nor Fletchling to get banned because I honestly felt they weren't all that broken, so I'm a bit sad to see Missy go. I ran bulky Houndour or Porygon on almost every team, so Misdreavus was never a huge problem and unless you really misplayed, Nasty Plots were usually rather challenging for the opponent to get up safely. I also loved experimenting with new Misdreavus sets, like Imprison Missy to stop Porygon. In regards to Fletchling, the burd itself isn't too broken, because any Rock- or Steel-type could come in and take an Acrobatics. It's the combination with Diglett (and Arena Trap) that pushes it over the edge.

Kavatika: What LC user or player you most admire?

Champion Fizz: I'd probably have to say either macle or QuoteCS. Macle because he does a lot for the community, is a good player and is a pretty cool guy to talk to, and Quote because he's one of the most approachable users, and he's that one responsible parent that prevents the chat from turning into a shit-show.

Kavatika: What do you think will be the most successful Pokemon, core, or strategy in the current meta?

Champion Fizz: Now that Misdreavus is gone, Memento Zigzagoon teams are going to be pretty strong, with the only real threat being Defiant Pawniard (or the dreaded Defiant Piplup). I think Eviolite/Swords Dance Pawniard might become the standard set once again, because it'll be able to deal with Zigzagoons not carrying Rock Smash.

Kavatika: Why would Zigzagoon not carry Rock Smash now?

Champion Fizz: It probably will now, but it used to be that Seed Bomb or Protect were the more common options. If that becomes standard, Defensive Tirtouga might be seeing more action because it can live that hit.

Kavatika: What advice do you have for new LCers?

Champion Fizz: First of all, make sure you get involved, both in the chat and on Smogon. Get your name out there, but don't be fake or anything like that. Secondly, and this applies to the actual meta, make sure you know all the little quirks of LC that distinguish it from other tiers (like the EV spreads, the damage rolls, the frequent speed ties). LC is one of those metas that you have to play a lot in order to get a good grasp of it. Laddering and challenging more experienced players will not only enhance your understanding of LC, but help you make some friends in the tier.

Gastly @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
Level: 5
EVs: 116 Def / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Disable

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Ability: Solid Rock
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 84 HP / 228 Atk / 96 Def / 80 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 68 HP / 108 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Brave Nature
- Synthesis
- Low Sweep
- Payback
- Seed Bomb

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 Atk / 236 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Sunny Day
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

Pawniard @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Psycho Cut

Snubbull @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
Champion Fizz: The original idea was to handle the post-Missy meta and build around my favorite Gastly set, SubDisable. It beats Normal-types 1v1 and most Fighting-types simply by using Substitute and then Disabling their only means of hitting Gastly. To handle the inevitable increase in Zigzagoon's usage, I decided defensive Tirtouga would be a good check to Zigzagoons not carrying Seed Bomb, and Rock Smash is slowly rising in popularity with Pawniard running around. I also wanted to prepare for the onslaught of Gastlys so I picked Chespin to counter it, while still providing some offensive pressure and a nifty utility move in Low Sweep. I wanted to have a FWG core, because that's always fun, and I decided on Ponyta because the Sunny Day tank set can kind of nullify Chinchou's ability to wall Ponyta and it also provides some extra health for Ponyta's Morning Sun and Chespin's Synthesis. Life Orb Pawniard is there to break down opposing tanky Pokemon and spread its Knock Off goodness around. Psycho Cut over Brick Break because I wanted to try it, and you aren't going to speed tie with Choice Scarf Pawniard. Finally, Snubbull is the pivoty cleric Pokemon and can bother opponents with Intimidate and Thunder Wave, all while being able to switch into big Fighting- or Dark-type hits. This team mainly has issues with Archen, hazards and sometimes Drilbur if you don't play against it correctly. It's also pretty FletchDig weak but I don't really know what isn't.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
js, Nincada has and always will be my favorite Pokemon, I just decide to hype different mons all the time

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jac if u think those r real you have bigger problems than Midas does irl

Fizz is p swag qB^)
Actually use these mons to see why we hype them instead of saying i have issues and then we can talk for real real, not for play play

and also stay free imo

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
>Actually mentioning me

Awesome! I do like how Fizz likes to try many different Pokemon, even if they only have a small niche. He's not really a bad player, and I respect his contributions.
Nincada is still bad though.

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
I'm glad Champion Fizz got a "Player of the Week" thread! I think he deserves it as one of the underrated players in LC. You are Great and Almighty my friend. :)

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Fizz is a cool guy and a strong player, always nice seeing him :toast:
Also dont intervew midas he is bad and unlucky oo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)