Player of the Week 19: TheCanadianWifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ayy lmoa

TheCanadianWifier
favorite pokemon:Braviary / Keldeo / Mega-Absol / Yveltal / Skymin /
most used pokemon: Braviary
most known for: Being Canadian, being a YouTuber.​

xzern: So tell me, tcw, why is your name what it is/was?
TheCanadianWifier: Haha, I was actually on the school bus one morning in Grade 11, trying to think up a name for my new Youtube channel.. I I had like a small checklist of things I wanted to make apparent by reading my name, and the fact that I'm Canadian was one of the most important to me. Back at the time, Showdown hadn't even been started by Zarel, let alone public, so WiFi battles were all the rage on Youtube, and the pokemon community was booming :P
So I stumbled accross the name TheCanadianWifier, and kinda liked it as it hit both main points and sorta left my channel open if I ever wanted to move on from pokemon. I remember a literal "light bulb moment" when I though of it, and to this day I'm still not sure why I thought it was such a good idea because it's really long and sorta cluky to say. From what I remember, it was a lot better than all the other names I came up with to that point but that's not really saying much lol. A few months after I made the youtube channel, I realized that it would make a lot more sense if my smogon account had the same name as my Youtube channel so that I could be more recognizable. And since then, I`ve been known as TheCanadianWifier on here - or simply just tcw.

xzern: Favorite type of pokemon? (Normal, Fairy, Bird, etc.)
TheCanadianWifier: Way back in grade school Î think around the time Pokemon emerald came out], me and my close friend at the time had this silly Fire vs Poison showdown where we trained all out pokemon of choice to Lv 100 and battled in a best of 7. Poison was hands down my favourite type due to Crobat mainly, but Qwilfish / Tenta / Plume heled as well. Since getting into competitive pokemon in late 2008, Water has always been a default answer for me though, as this question normally catches me off guard, haha. Water mons are normally decently bulky, hence the term 'bulky waters', which generally supports the bulky offense playstyle that I fall back on all the time. Pokemon like Keldeo, Politoed, Lapras, Tenta, Milotic, Vaporeon, Samurott, Alomomomola, M-Gyara, etc are some of my default favourites, by design and by reliability. BW being nothing but Rain also helped solidify all these pokemon in my heart as well, as I got to use them quite a bit, haha.
Shoutout to Fairy pokemon for being a close second, as they have the same ''bulky offense'' vibe around them. Dark is also pretty rad because of Mega-Absol, Yveltal, and Darkrai.

xzern: Favorite team archetype?
TheCanadianWifier: *favourite :]
As I said earlier, Bulky Offense is something I fall back on all the time, sometimes going all the way to semi-stall. It just feels weird to me intrinsically to make a team without something to take a hit, so Hyper Offence has always felt wrong to me lol. Stall can be fun, but it really sucks to ladder with, and its harder to build properly. Therefore, I settle with something delightfully inbetween where I have stuff to take hits and stuff to hit back with, and it just so happens that a lot of Water-types fit in to this description perfectly lol.

xzern: How did you come to competitive battling/Smogon?
TheCanadianWifier: Back in grades 4 and 5, I played mons like daily with all my friends. Then it transferred to a "summertime only" kind of hobby, until the sumer of 2009. For some reason, I picked back up FR/LG and couldn't put them down, so i rushed off to buy a DS Lite and a copy of the then-month-old Platinum. Holy shit I can't even describe the fun I had with that game that summer, it was like reliving my childhood all over again. Shorty after school started [shoutout to me for picking the worst time to get back into pokemon - the start of highschool..] I started watching Xerxes when he was arguably in his prime, Sept 2009ish. This lead me to check out other powers in the Pokemon community at the time, such as Magnitude, NBZ, and KillerNacho. It was at this point where I figured, I kinda want to learn how to play this, it looks really fun, and started to lurk Smogon in late 2009. Didn't make an account for about a year as I never found a reason to comment / embarass myself as a noob. Eventually I made one, and this cancerous game has been a daily part of my life since haha.

xzern: What's your favorite part of NU?
TheCanadianWifier:Everyone who plays this tier is also Canadian Everyone is pretty dang friendly, the mons are all favourites that I remember from my childhood, and our council / way of testing isn't total cancer like UU. In generaly it's just a fun tier to participate in as you meet a bunch of great people and get to use pretty fun pokemon while you're at it.

xzern: If you could ban or unban one thing from NU, what would it be/why?
TheCanadianWifier: Just pass on a memo to RU asking them to stop using all the low-usage shit and just let us have Hitmonchan / Claydol / Abomasnow / Banette / Jellicent / Skuntank / Gastrodon / Heliolisk / Reunicleus / Fletchinder / Virizion / Cofagrigus already.

xzern: NU player you most admire?
TheCanadianWifier: Gonna have to go with Raseri, just because of all the bs he has to put up with on a daily basis as TL, and yet somehow still manages to be a super nice, and friendly person to talk with every time.

xzern: Do you have any advice for people new to NU?
TheCanadianWifier: use a Mega-Lix Not really, just jump in and have fun :]

xzern: Could you give me something like a mini RMT to conclude the interview, one that demonstrates your teambuilding strategies?
TheCanadianWifier: http://hastebin.com/uqofelujil.md
This one is from BW2, and kinda shows the Bulky Offense style I enjoy. A few things that can take hits like Mushy and Mola, and the rest all have some sort of HP investment or synergy, haha. This team also featured my absolute bae SubBU Braviary ♥♥♥. It was basically on every team I made from the start of BW2, and it was the only reason I got by with my inexperience in the tier :P
Dragonair took on Special Zard and was a decent win-condition in itself, and the rest is just kinda there. Pretty fun team though, and yea Braviary is love.

Feel free to ask TheCanadianWifier any questions in the thread below and he will probably answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:
terrible user

less canadian than Raseri, SoulGayzer, or Can-Eh-Dian

O also that team you posted gets straight shreked by SmashCosta or SmashBarbaracle if you get locked into the wrong move for their setup js >.>. Srsly if Costa is jolly even your Liepard is useless lol.

The team you posted isnt even the one you gave a description on.

Yeah i have a question
WHY ARE YOU SO TERRIBAD

thoughts on yveltal in NU?

what's the most canadian sentence you've ever said?

whats more fun mk8 or mons?

when are we gonna do a dual comm?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
O also that team you posted gets straight shreked by SmashCosta or SmashBarbaracle if you get locked into the wrong move for their setup js >.>. Srsly if Costa is jolly even your Liepard is useless lol.

The team you posted isnt even the one you gave a description on.
The uh, pastebin team posted isn't even the right team.. Notice how I say the team is from BW2 and I talk about stuff like Braviary and Dragonair but the pastebin links you a team with Evire.. I blame Xzern for switching the links apparently.

edit: this is the correct team http://hastebin.com/uqofelujil.md

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
wow what a good user :^] bout an 8/10 overall
Q: What's your favorite analysis you have ever written?
Q2: how long has t-swift been such an integral part of your existance

The uh, pastebin team posted isn't even the right team.. Notice how I say the team is from BW2 and I talk about stuff like Braviary and Dragonair but the pastebin links you a team with Evire.. I blame Xzern for switching the links apparently.

edit: this is the correct team http://hastebin.com/uqofelujil.md
regardless why would you even make a team that weak to costa you sould be fucking ashamed

Also that other team. SubDD Fraxure has the potential to straight 6-0 you with hazards up but whatever.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Important questions:
  • Thoughts on Lana Del Rey?
  • Cacnea?
  • Using Mr. Mime in NU?
  • Had to google cause I had no idea who she is, 7/10 looks alright :]
  • Cacturne exists, but it's pretty cute I guess
  • Never done it, never plan to. It's probably alright I just don't really like it :[

regardless why would you even make a team that weak to costa you sould be fucking ashamed

Also that other team. SubDD Fraxure has the potential to straight 6-0 you with hazards up but whatever.
  • the first one literally isn't my team, and costa is irrelevant anyway nerd. :]

thoughts on yveltal in NU?

what's the most canadian sentence you've ever said?

whats more fun mk8 or mons?

when are we gonna do a dual comm?
  • Yveltal would add a great deal of variation to a rather stale NU meta. It's sheer power would allow teambuilders to stop worrying about potentially ban-worthy pokemon such as M-Steelix, Typhlosion, Camerupt, Feraligatr, and many others. The damage calcs alone prove how well Yveltal would mesh into NU at the moment: being able to cleanly OHKO Typhlosion from full with Sucker Punch with no rocks support and a -Atk nature is just one of many examples that show of its immense power. Even Defensive behemoths such as SpDef Audino fail to take 2 Life Orb Dark Pulses from full; showing that while stall may be evil, it's no match for the Dark Devil himself. Oblivion Wing grants so much recovery even Toxic Heal Roost Gliscor gets a little jealous at times.. and don't even get me started on the Defensive set - what a great check to Feraligatr and Malamar!! Anyone who cannot see that Yveltal belongs in NU is simply blinding themselves from the truth: an NU metagame that doesn't feature Yveltal simply isn't the best possible metagame we could be providing the people of showdown with. Now, some people may already be saying, "tcw, you're crazy. You think Mega-Steelix is centralizing, but Yveltal wont be?". Well you my friends, are forgetting a very important detail: NU houses more pokemon than any other tier - plenty of room for innovation and talent to provide new and emerging checks from the depths of NU to rise up and stand strong against Yveltal. Yveltal boasts a lackluster 99 Speed and has an over-reliance on Sucker Punch against faster pokemon such as Raichu, Sneasel, Floatzel, and Mismagius. This allows them to play the ol' Set-up-8-times-to-stall-them-outta-sucker-punch mindgame - then Yvetal will easily go down. Nothing else really comes to mind at the moment, and I have no idea how you would go about killing the defensive set, but I'm sure NU could adapt to this Mandibuzz wannabe rather easily :]
    Tagging Raseri so that we can start the suspect now instead of later, and start fixing the meta :]
  • Was gonna try to make this super stereotypical and funny, but honestly you know as much as I do that we're just normal people eh?
  • MK8 just cause it's more fresh to me, and there's a rather large skill-barrier in it that I'm still crossing atm. ingame mons is still fun, but competitive is bland :[

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
wow what a good user :^] bout an 8/10 overall
Q: What's your favorite analysis you have ever written?
Q2: how long has t-swift been such an integral part of your existance
  • Probably Cacturne, just because at the time of writing every set was approved / decent and when it was taken over the first thing the new writer said was "tcw had a lot of weird sets on this, it'll take a while to fix". Got a good laugh out of that, and tbh, I've only written like 4 analysis to date because nu qc works slower than city transit so there's not much competition when it comes to 'favourite analysis'.
  • Way back in Grade 9, I remember hearing "Fifteen"s chorus on the bus most mornings, and I remember hating it. "God I hate lovey pop music like this", I thought to myself. Then a few years passed without me even giving pop music any thought. In December 2012, I had a friend over who was a huge Tswift fan, and he mentioned to me that the "We Are Never Getting Back Together" video is all one big long camera shot with no cuts at all. As a film student at the time, I found this really cool, and watched the video a few times over. Then I realized the song was stuck in my head, and that I kinda liked it.. Then I listened to "I Knew You Were Trouble", loved that too, Downloaded the entire album, listened to it one night on loop while writing an essay, and discovered that basically every song she wrote on Red was amazing. From there, I waited until June 2013 during my surgery recovery until I listened to the album before that: Speak Now, and I loved everything on it too. Spent the summer jamming out to those 2 albums, and right before school started that original friend came over again and made me watch "You Belong with Me", from her second album.. Fuck me I love Fearless so much, it's still my favourite album of hers to this date. Listened to those 3 albums until the time XY came out; but I was having a really tough mental time that year [super depressed, semi-suicidal, etc] so I stopped listening to T-swift in general around the start of October as I didn't want to associate her music to my current mood and ruin the songs for myself. Waited until Aprilish in 2014, started listening daily again, and then 1989 came out this October, which I also love everything from :P. Still haven't ever listened to her first album, which that same friend says is amazing, so I'm saving that for some rainy day :]
    And that's my story of how I came to love Taylor Swift, haha.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
late night spuuning y/y ?
Yes, but you're never available on skype, like, ever.. ever :[
favorite>favourite
Never.
Bag milk vs. Carton/Jug milk. Why?
Bag because
a] It's what I'm used to / grew up with
b] Uses less packaging and is better for the ol' environment
c] Is also cheaper cause it uses less packaging
d] might be somewhat subjective, but I prefer the taste. It just tastes, cleaner.

Hey Canadian wifier I'm a big fan of your YouTube channel keep up the good content. I would like to know what your opinion on the posts by spl players blajaran and finchininator in regards to the NU metavame in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-test-announced-read-post-460.3522559/page-20 . Personally as someone wgo has never really played the tier but knows it fairly well through YouTub and rmt's I agree with their posts as NU is far too centralized for me and many teams end up turning out very similar and there seems to be a lack of diversiTy and I feel aggressive banning of threats could stop this. Thanks.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Hey Canadian wifier I'm a big fan of your YouTube channel keep up the good content. I would like to know what your opinion on the posts by spl players blajaran and finchininator in regards to the NU metagame in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-test-announced-read-post-460.3522559/page-20 . Personally as someone wgo has never really played the tier but knows it fairly well through YouTube and rmt's I agree with their posts as NU is far too centralized for me and many teams end up turning out very similar and there seems to be a lack of diversity and I feel aggressive banning of threats could stop this. Thanks.
I definitely agree with them that NU needs a shake up to prevent it from being overcenteralized around a few specific threats. They're manageable enough to fly under the radar for a long time, but they really do suffocate teambuilding down to the point where there's a few 'must-have' pokemon on every team - which isn't fun for anyone. :[

1. Why do you think allowing Reuniclus in NU is a good idea (it's really fricking powerful)?
2. What would you recommend to a newbie trying to get into NU??
3. M-lix suspect: opinions plz

EDIT- sorry i didnt clarify, but reun isn't a shitmon by any means. also chan still hasnt dropped wtf

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
1. Why do you think allowing Reuniclus in NU is a good idea (it's really fricking powerful)?
2. What would you recommend to a newbie trying to get into NU??
3. M-lix suspect: opinions plz
1] Where did I say I it was a good idea? I think it would be super fun for a while, but I doubt it would stay. If you mean from earlier in the article, I just want RU to stop using shitmons and actually let them drop :[
2] just uh, try out balanced cores that have been proven to work. YamaPlume, GatrKanga, TyphLilligant, etc. In fact, those 6 don't make a terrible team :s
3] I want it to happen. If you mean what would I vote, I haven't really played much with it but I'm definitely leaning towards getting it the fuck outta here cause its cancerous to teambuilding.

Why are the 2 best songs on 1989 only bonus tracks, it doesn't make no sense!

Also what do you think about our lord and saviour, the Cute Black Dragon?

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
THECANADIANWIFER!!!
lol i only know of you from the "Where you got your nick" thread and i still read your name as wifer :)
i dont play nu, just saw "Latest: Player of the Week 19: TheCanadianWifier" so i came along.

1) what mon you'd like to drop to nu from each tier?
2) will you teach me nu?
3) what tier do you find the most stale?
4) dpp/bw/xy/oras nu which is most fun/balanced?
5) be my waifu?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
if you could have world peace or marry t-swift, when would you get married?
as soon as possible.
Why are the 2 best songs on 1989 only bonus tracks, it doesn't make no sense!

Also what do you think about our lord and saviour, the Cute Black Dragon?
Best song on 1989 is a tie between This Love, New Romantics, I Know Places, and Style; with a close second being a tie between Wonderland, and Wildest Dreams. I didn't really care for the bonus tracks [edit: apparently bonus tracks =/= voice memos], though the acoustic version of Blank Space is nice. But really every song on that album except for Shake It Off is absolutely fantastic.
If Cute Black Dragon is Zweilous, I loved it back in BW2, it's alright now.
THECANADIANWIFER!!!
lol i only know of you from the "Where you got your nick" thread and i still read your name as wifer :)
i dont play nu, just saw "Latest: Player of the Week 19: TheCanadianWifier" so i came along.

1) what mon you'd like to drop to nu from each tier?
2) will you teach me nu?
3) what tier do you find the most stale?
4) dpp/bw/xy/oras nu which is most fun/balanced?
5) be my waifu?
1] Yveltal, Sylveon, Mega-Absol, Fletchinder. Shoutout to Mawile who's gonna drop on it's own.
2] If we had an easy way of communication *cough* skype, maybe?
3] Anything in XY, and BW2 RU.
4] Super early BW2 for sure, even though I played very little of it.
5] You bet :]

Last edited:
The base album ends with Clean iirc, Wonderland and New Romantics are bonuses. Totally agreed on NR and I Know Places, though my top 4 includes Wonderland and Out of the Woods along with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)