Player of the Week 29: mad0ka

GOAO

Banned deucer.

Favorite Pokemon: Drifloon
Most Used Pokemon: Mienfoo
Most Known For: Sun queen, winner of two circuit tours.
Tell us a little about yourself.
Hey guys, if you don't know me yet, I'm known around the smogon community for general success in LC. At first, I was known around the LC community as a ladder hero, accumulating something like ~3,000 LC battles on my first account queenlucy. Throughout most of those battles I mostly used sun, eventually so much that I revamped the playstyle in XY and became known as the "sun queen". Now, I've won several ORAS LC subforum tours, and ranked well in many others, as well as going for 8k this SPL! Outside of smogon dot com, I'm currently a first year uni student studying Chinese and chemistry. I really like learning, to the point of school probably being my hobby besides just mons. If I could, I would get degrees in mathematics, environmental science, Korean, Japanese, and Biology in addition to my current ones, but I have neither the time nor money to be in college for 10 years. I also am involved in my school's music department; I sing and play the French Horn. Basically, I'm overall a big school nerd.

How and when did you get your start in LC? Do you remember your first team?
I first got into LC during the Murkrow and Meditite test, so around March of 2014, on the username queenlucy. I had been on showdown before, but I never stuck around and established myself in a community. I don't remember much of my first team, I just remember talking about it a lot in the LC chat room and there being a resttalk chou and doug murkrow (subthief berryjuice with t-wave).

What is your favorite aspect of LC?
I really like how flexible you can be in teambuilding, at least for the most part (fu*k trappers!). All but full stall are viable archetypes, and within team archetypes, there are many variations. Basically, tons of things are viable and it's fun to play around with stuff.

Any bets of lcers on spl?
Mad0-11ka

Any bets on LC Invite tour?
Me! But if I get lucked then I'll be rooting for Heysup and Brasil!

Is there any mon, playstyle, etc that you feel is underrated in LC?
With the decline in defensive birds, defog usage has also gone down considerably. Consequently, I believe a really great playstyle this meta to be hazard stacking, either in the form of Omanyte or Dwebble.

Anything you find overrated?
Staryu is a mon I definitely find overrated. It needs early game scald burns in order to be effective, so if you're an unlucky playerthen it's difficult to break past its checks/counters and often is a momentum killer.

If you could change something about the current metagame, what would you change?
Ban Diglett & Gothita. They make the game so much more matchup reliant and hinder teambuilding to such an extent that I believe they're really unfun. It's not that they're necessarily broken, it's just that I believe the meta would be so much better without them.

Any LC players in particular that you look up to or respect?
Definitely ZF. He's an amazing teambuilder, innovator, & fren who is always up for testing and building. He also does lots of other metas besides just LC, which is really cool too. He got me into ubers past gens for a bit as well!

Any friends who you would like to shoutout?
hi levi! and everyone in LFC! cba to s/o 30+ users...

Is there any advice that you'd like to pass on to new LCers?
One thing I wanna say is ignore how mean the community can sometimes be. That's kinda hard when everyone is memeing in battle or lobby chats, but it's important to not let that annoy you because then you get distracted from matches and annoyed over a stupid game. Additionally, when you're starting out, I know you want to be creative, but it's hard to be creative when you don't know the tier that well. Stick with the basics first, get a feel of everything, and then start branching out and exploring with mons like Nosepass or Meowth!

Lastly, do you have a team you'd like to share with us?
Here you go!

Nah here you actually go. If you ever challenged me for lost cave, you may remember versing me while I had this team. Basically, the team concept is focused around two wincons in SD Corphish and BU Timburr paired with Healing Wish support from Buneary, so that they can be thrown around early game without much care. Really solid and consistent team in my experience.

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Heal Bell

urszala (Buneary) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Limber
EVs: 76 HP / 4 Def / 148 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Fire Punch

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch

Drifloon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 84 Def / 148 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recycle
- Defog

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
how will you handle all the questions that are bound to plague this thread regarding your apparently poor standing with the RNGods?

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Qu, what's your favorite band? Are you like your fellow band nerd tahu and only listen to classical?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
What are your thoughts on previous suspects that you've been around for (krowtite through diggoth)?

How do you generally start building?

who is less luckee, you or heysup?

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
if u had to pick one lfc user to adopt GOAO. , which user would be the most fun for our young brazilian, which user would be the best psuedo-parent, and which user would shoot him first?

mad0ka

華々しい
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
how will you handle all the questions that are bound to plague this thread regarding your apparently poor standing with the RNGods?
without getting salty!
Qu, what's your favorite band? Are you like your fellow band nerd tahu and only listen to classical?
My favorite band is Marina and the Diamonds! Melanie Martinez is my next favorite artist. And no I don't even listen to classical music at all lol
What are your thoughts on previous suspects that you've been around for (krowtite through diggoth)?

How do you generally start building?

who is less luckee, you or heysup?
Krowtite I came in the middle of, but both were pretty broken from my limited experience. Fletchus I'm not sure where I stand. Fletchling was more broken in the Misdreavus meta, but I've been so disconnected from the meta now that I can't give an accurate statement. Misdreavus I'm more of the opinion that it wasn't broken, at least not to the point of being banworthy. BP suspect ideally there would be some sorta nerf, but what can ya do. Also I was on break during diggoth, but ban both :(

I generally start building with an idea of a mon or core in mind, and then just go from there.

I'd say we're both pretty unlucky
Are you considering making 2016 Sun with the godly Pursuit Crani?
Or any other iteration of sun?
Sun is a lost cause for me D: Can't ever seem to get it to work in this meta as reliably as in Missy
if u had to pick one lfc user to adopt GOAO. , which user would be the most fun for our young brazilian, which user would be the best psuedo-parent, and which user would shoot him first?
coconut would be the most fun, Quote would be the best pseudo-parent, and Brazilian Army would shoot him first
What are your thoughts on rumors of you and dead user Zeriloa having had a passionate romantic relationship?
How easy the times of zerilucy were...
thottie" <3

i dont have a question just droppin mad love and respect for my fave

win spl bby
thanks hoe!!

ooo why Chinese? Given your username I'd assume Japanese would be the first option. Glad to see someone else picking up Chinese though. Science+Language does seem to be an odd pairing to me.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Do you think LC is stale since nothing has actually moved from the meta in a long time, or have the user created shifts kept it fresh?

Thoughts on SPL now that we're in week 2?

Got this on Showdown no clue if you actually would want to answer:

[23:47] BUNGMEISTER: can you post the following in madoka's interview thread
[23:47] Merritty: sure?
[23:47] BUNGMEISTER: Are you actually a girl? You can't possibly be b/c macle doesn't sexually harass you every single day.

mad0ka

華々しい
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
the problem with cranidos sun is that honedge sun is better

anyway, what are your thoughts on vileplume in the rarelyused tier?
honedge sun is flat out 6-0'd by webs... also FREE VILEPLUME
ooo why Chinese? Given your username I'd assume Japanese would be the first option. Glad to see someone else picking up Chinese though. Science+Language does seem to be an odd pairing to me.
Chinese was just something that my school had a really great program for and so I decided that I wanted to learn it. I am trying to learn Japanese on my own right now, though! Given, at a very slow pace since I'm busy with other stuff too. And yeah it's an odd pairing, but they're both things that I really enjoy so why not oo
Do you think LC is stale since nothing has actually moved from the meta in a long time, or have the user created shifts kept it fresh?

Thoughts on SPL now that we're in week 2?

Got this on Showdown no clue if you actually would want to answer:

[23:47] BUNGMEISTER: can you post the following in madoka's interview thread
[23:47] Merritty: sure?
[23:47] BUNGMEISTER: Are you actually a girl? You can't possibly be b/c macle doesn't sexually harass you every single day.
I mean it does get stale every once in a while, but that's why you build new flames squads to shake up the meta with your innovation every once in a while! User created shifts are usually enough imo

Hoping we don't get lucked this week again so I can be Mad0-11ka without being a hindrance to my team!~~

And yes, contrary to popular belief, female persons do exist on the internet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)