ORAS OU Playing on the beach (Sand+Sun Team)

Introduction:
A few days ago, I read valentine's In-Depth guide to charizard Y. Since then, i've been building teams around charizard Y. Every team had flaws and not a few of them. My teams were weak to bisharp and CM clefable. So i decided to just throw in random mons and eventually i came up with the team i'm going to present to you. I believe that this is a great team and if played well, it will get me to higher ladder in no time. So without further ado, lets get on to the team.

TeamBuilding Process:
As mentioned, I started with charizard Y and put in some stuff that could support him really well. I will explain everything later so there's no need to make this a long section.

The Team:

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
> Fire Blast
> Solar Beam
> Focus Blast
> Roost

This is the monster that blows fire from its mouth. This team was build solely for the purpose of providing Charizard Y enough support for it to dent a whole lot of stuff. Nothing can take a fire blast really well. Even the things that resist it take enough damage for me to KO them with the other 2 coverage moves. The EV spread is standard. I'm using Timid because there are so many base 100s in this metagame and i want to atleast speed tie with them. Modest may be used because the increase in damage is quite significant. I still prefer timid as even without the boost from modest it can still hit hard enough. It can even take on water types easily because sun weakens water type moves so i don't have to worry about keldeo, greninja and azumarill. AV azumarill is still a pain but it can be dealt with. I haven't faced BD azu or CB but i believe that those two will be able to break through my team with relative ease. But again, nothing is perfect.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

After the Aegislash ban, Tyranitar is the best mon that can provide pursuit support for Charizard Y. The Lati@s are a pain and Tyranitar can switch-in on them with ease. It pursuit traps them hence making Zard's life easier. This guy also acts as my sand setter for exca to revenge kill/rapid spin. This is the scarf set which i haven't seen much but it works well. Superpower is for other ttars, Bisharp(which is otherwise really hard for me to handle) and chansey. Ice beam can be run but i don't like dropping crunch because it deals neutral damage to a lot of stuff. It acts as my revenge killer in some cases but excadrill is my main revenge killer. Stone edge is a powerful STAB for the pesky flying spam which everyone uses these days.

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 192 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Slack Off
Two sand setters? You must be calling me crazy. I know its weird but it works. After reading valentine's thread, I was impressed by hippowdon's ability of taking hits. After trying it, I wanna kill myself for never looking at this thing before. This thing laughs at physical hits and can take special hits very well too. Its my main answer to genies. I just poison them and stall out. I've been in situations where the opponent had nothing for this thing. The moveset is standard and i took the EV spread from valentine's thread because i don't know if there is any better moveset for a mixed bulky hippowdon. Rocks are great because of the fact that my team has switch-ins to almost everything. The team forces a lot of switches and who doesn't like residual damage?

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- waterfall
- play rough

This was originally meant to check greninja back in XY when it didn't have gunk shot. After the ORAS release I stopped using this team cux of those greninjas running around that ruin my team but after the greninja ban, I thought that this team could shine again. I changed the azumarill set to the terrifying BD set. The moveset is pretty standard here and I believe that it doesn't need to be explained.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire]

In the start, I thought of using this as a defogger but then i realized that i still had one more slot left. So i decided to use it as a powerful special attacker. He can dent things very easily. The Set is standard except for HP fire which is not very common. HP fire OHKO's scizor and deals heavy damage to ferrothorn, two pokemon that like to switch-in on latios. Roost lets me keep him healthy in order for me to sweep with this late game. His great speed stat makes him a notable pokemon on my team.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
Here is my sand abuser and spinner. Charizard needed spin support and nothing is better than a fast spinner like Excadrill. It was kind of a must for my team because i had two sand setters. I never thought of this as a threat but after using it makes me realize that i was wrong. This guy is faster than any scarfer and helps me a lot if something gets a DD up and goes insane. Its also my answer to clefable which was my biggest weakness and the reason of me leaving my old Charizard Y teams. The moveset is standard and not much needs to be said about this mole. Adamant is great because speed isn't the issue here.

So, there it is. One of my best teams. Constructive criticism please. One of the things i like about this team is that it almost always has a safe switch-in to any threat. I haven't played much with this team but whenever i played, there wasn't a situation in which i was rendered helpless against something. I don't get swept by anything even after a good number of boosts. I haven't faced stall and i think i'll have problem against it but i will never know unless i play against stall. Please help me find out the flaws and weaknesses to this team so that i can improve it and get my old spot on ladder. The team works great for now and i have only lost a few times. I don't really consider this a success because i'm still on low ladder and there aren't any good players for me to prove that i really made a good team. Thanks for reading.​

Importable:
Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 192 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
Shout-Outs:
brokenwings

Last edited:
Hey, nice team. Glad to see a fresh new idea. Here are my suggestions:

EQ over Superpower on Tyranitar. EQ allows you to hit Steel types (like Superpower) and has no disadvantages.

On Lati, I recommend Surf or HP Fighting over HP Fire. This allows you to check incoming Dark types as well as Pursuit-trapping Bisharp and Ttar.

Hope it helps!
-PK

Try out Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge. Still deals any form of Bird Spam while being a bit more accurate than Stone Edge. Anyways, well built team. Good luck!

Hey, nice team. Glad to see a fresh new idea. Here are my suggestions:

EQ over Superpower on Tyranitar. EQ allows you to hit Steel types (like Superpower) and has no disadvantages.

On Lati, I recommend Surf or HP Fighting over HP Fire. This allows you to check incoming Dark types as well as Pursuit-trapping Bisharp and Ttar.

Hope it helps!
-PK
Thanks for the rate man. Superpower is there for chansey but i'll definitely try out eq. As for latios, I think i'm fine with hp fire for now. Thanks again.

Try out Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge. Still deals any form of Bird Spam while being a bit more accurate than Stone Edge. Anyways, well built team. Good luck!
yeah i keep switching between those two. Thanks for the rate.

You have quite an interesting team. I like the idea of running two Sandstreams as a way to inflict indirect damage. The 6% will definitely add up over time along with the already set Stealth Rock. I also like that you included an Excadrill to provide Spin Support for your Charizard. Overall, you have a well-balanced party.

As for the cons, Mega-Venasaur or Venasaur itself, is a possible threat for your team if your Latios is unable to check it. You are also vulnerable to Keldeo if your Sunny Day is not on the field. Keldeo has the power to kill about 6 adult Tyranitars and perhaps their future grandchildren. Starmie is also another prevailing threat although it is not as popular anymore. However, I don't think your party will have much trouble as long as your Walls are healthy and good to go. Your stall will help you immensely.

Tell me what you think! (:

Thanks for the rate :)
Keldeo is a big threat for this team, yeah. It can mostly be dealt by azu or latios. I don't bring azu in if the opposing keldeo is choice locked into scald. Latios can run through teams itself so its handled easily. Venusaur-Mega is also a big problem. exca and other things can weaken it some way or the other. Even with thick fat it takes huge amounts of damage from fire miss. I do have to admit that most of my losses were because of venu-M.
Thanks for the rate again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)