Playing Pokemon after 20

How many people here on Smogon play Pokemon after they hit 20 years old or up? I myself am 24 years old and still play Pokemon. It would really be nice to know if there are other people past 20 years old still playing Pokemon like me. lol

Cool. Coz where I'm from there's this social stigma about Pokemon being a kid's game. Kinda hard to believe that they don't see the complex gameplay that lies within the graphics of Pokemon. :P Been playing for 10 years now and I don't plan on quitting any time soon. lol

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm 21, I quit when I was 17 because I thought I was too old for it. Went to college when I was 19 and looked up smogon out of boredom and been back since. I'm addicted again :)

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Cool. Coz where I'm from there's this social stigma about Pokemon being a kid's game. Kinda hard to believe that they don't see the complex gameplay that lies within the graphics of Pokemon. :P Been playing for 10 years now and I don't plan on quitting any time soon. lol
Ya that "social stigma" is pretty much everywhere. Most people have just decided not to care, or not tell people they play pokemon.

Me and my brothers and our friends are actually at war against a rival group around here that are all addicted to Monster Hunter. lol. They say they're too old for this game. But wow. How old do you have to be run around hack and slashing a monster? I play Monster Hunter too but hey. If you really look at both games. Even an 8 year old can play Monster Hunter and have some success. While in pokemon you have to have a bit more intellect to actually have any success with the game. lol

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
22 and I think that's probably a lot closer to the norm than the exception around here. I dunno, I've enjoyed Pokemon since I was just a child and I think it will always have some place in my life.

Yeah, I'm 20, and I consider myself to be relatively socially normal aside from my secret Pokemon addiction lol... Actually, that's a lie-- I have tons of dorky interests lol. But I've been playing since I was little, and I've been addicted ever since, and I've never really had the desire to quit. If anything, I'd like to become more involved in the competitive community as my time progresses ^_^

I turn 20 in about 3 months, and i'm not as heavily into pokemon as I was in the past, but I still play casually on PO/shoddy, and buy every major game. If your ~20 now you were pretty much the perfect age for pokemon when it came out, so most people at this age played from the beginning. Its not something I would take out of my life just because some people think its childish.

18, and I've told my close friends I play Pokemon. I also told them bits and pieces about smogon and the competitive aspects, and they were amused, but didn't really care at that point on.

Im 20 and have been playing pokemon since 9 . But initally i don't own a gameboy ,instead play at my cousin house every weekend . Not until two years later when i got my own GBA and a pokemon cyrstal copy . U can say that im new to competitive pokemon cause even though i was exposed to smogon since last year , i've been only battling competitively around early last month . so my fun was only for a few week before pokelab is down . So im not going to quit any sooner . i might care less about playing pokemon around my close friend who will yap all the time of me playing this kiddo games . But u might want to hide that fact around ur classmate or an outsider .

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Cool. Coz where I'm from there's this social stigma about Pokemon being a kid's game. Kinda hard to believe that they don't see the complex gameplay that lies within the graphics of Pokemon.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Pokemon is like a bad girl you can't seem to quit. She treats you like shit, you swear you're never going to do her again, but you end up going back to her in the night anyway.

I'm 20 now, and so far have played and quit every generation of Pokemon.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
22 and I play. So do a ton of people at school.
HeartGold / SoulSilver release revived it for most of them. As Llama said, those of us in our 20s were the target audience during the height of Pokemon's popularity. I think many of us may have fallen out of the series around the Advance generation (that's what happened to me and many people I know off Smogon) but we're hitting that nostalgia point now!

22 and I play. So do a ton of people at school.
HeartGold / SoulSilver release revived it for most of them. As Llama said, those of us in our 20s were the target audience during the height of Pokemon's popularity. I think many of us may have fallen out of the series around the Advance generation (that's what happened to me and many people I know off Smogon) but we're hitting that nostalgia point now!
Pretty much. I know many people who love the original 151, but despise most of the Pokemon who came after, especially the Hoenn Pokemon.

Played when i was 7, found online battling when I was 12, stopped playing the games at 13, continued to play online till now I am 20(almost 21!!) I'm still in the pokecloset tho xD but I don't really play much anymore to care!

I'm 18 and I have quit playing pokemon in 2007 after 4th gen came around and killed NB and adv. I wouldn't have quit based on age, I simply found 4th gen terrible, so I ended up moving onto other games. I would actually still play adv, although very few people play it now so I won't bother getting the new version of NB or anything.

The only reason I still lurk around on the forums (well, only in the non-pokemon subforums now) is because of the mostly mature and intelligent community, and I actually still keep in touch with quite a couple of people I've got to know back in the times of NB.

Also, I have never told anyone in real life that I had played pokemon or that I visit pokemon forums. People are very conservative in my area and think games are nothing but a waste of time, especially when you're older, and they'll keep insulting you in front of others for playing them; pokemon especially is considered very childish.

But hey, what can we do besides quitting, let's just keep trying to believe that whatever entertains us isn't just wasting time. On this note, although it isn't pokemon but it can be related to anything really, especially games, including pokemon, I recommend listening to that youtube vid of a 24 years old veteran StarCraft player's life and passion for games from the second link in my sig (it may be 2 hours long, but it's still amazing, just check the comments).

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I've been 20 since this past August, and I know I'm always going to be interested in pokemon. I actually THREW AWAY my old red/blue/yellow/gold/silver carts (what the flying fuck alison) and lost interest since there was a few years gap between GSC and RSE, but as soon as I saw that there were new pokemon games for GBA, I was like "Uh, dad, this is what I want for christmas..."

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
Fishy is old. And terrible for throwing out throw those damn precious carts wow.

I'm still 18 but come on I'm pretty sure I'll be playing this crap for ever. Here wondering until what generation they'll keep going? Next generation pokemon are gonna be outright hilarious I think.

the mechanics for this gen are superduper rad anyway, so as long as they keep that up...

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing
Nicely said man. I'm trying to find like minded people in this small community I live in. It's kinda hard looking for people who own a DS and play Pokemon on it. (Even though Pokemon should be one of the main reasons to get a DS)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How many people here on Smogon play Pokemon after they hit 20 years old or up? I myself am 24 years old and still play Pokemon. It would really be nice to know if there are other people past 20 years old still playing Pokemon like me. lol
Hey, we're the same age! :D

Lol. cool. I started out playing the Original Blue version. My dad bought me a GBC with Gold Version and a GBC for my bro with Silver and a yellow version for my other bro. Been playing ever since.

zfs

Everything old is new again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
23, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

And neither do Nintendo or Game Freaks, as long as Pokemon keeps making them untold millions of dollars in sweet, sweet profit. We'll be playing Gen 9 when there's 1900 pokemon and ten of them are based on pot-smoking narwhals or Navajo moon gods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)