Playing Pokemon after 20

lol. All my pokemon cards got stolen. :( They were all from the original starter set with the foil Machamp. You know the fire/fighting starter deck? lol. Then I bought a Koga deck coz I thought Koga was cool. But yeah. Stolen. Awww. Now I feel sad. :(

i'm 20 since april/10. Don't plan to stop anytime soon, i have been playing for roughly 10 years, so this may tell you people something. I just love the competitive part of the game is really addicting.

18. And while I'm not active as much on smogon as I would like, I have no shame in placing the beautiful game of Competitive Pokemon (can't see what people see in the actual cartridge games though).

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
18, and I've told my close friends I play Pokemon. I also told them bits and pieces about smogon and the competitive aspects, and they were amused, but didn't really care at that point on.
18. And while I'm not active as much on smogon as I would like, I have no shame in placing the beautiful game of Competitive Pokemon (can't see what people see in the actual cartridge games though).
wat

In my school, everyone plays pokémon, but everyone doesn't admit it and says whoever plays it is childish.

I say I play pokémon.

You can guess what happens next.

PS. Is it a good idea to add the ´ on the e when posting?

I've played pokemon since they were first released in the U.S. I turn 21 this tuesday. I don't hide the fact that I play pokemon, I just don't really talk about it to anyone outside of a few people who I know also play.

@Groshi it isn't a good or bad idea. Just do whatever you like. I'm too lazy to do it.

I'm 22 and I guess it's time to wade into the topic! I've been playing since RBY, and watched my friends gain interested, lose interest, gain interest, lose interest over and over. Most if not all of my social circle know I still play it, and it's no big deal between us as I knew most of them from when they played it as well. I still get the odd text every few weeks from someone asking me where to find [pokemon] in a game, or something similar.

When meeting new people, it's not something I bring up as I have other things to talk about, but if the conversation did steer towards gaming and in particular Nintendo then I'll often ask about pokemon... I don't see it anymore awkward than asking someone if they play COD or have Xbox Live. Gaming seems a lot more acceptable as a hobby/interest nowadays, particularly in the last couple of years with the internet (mainly Facebook/Youtube) becoming so mainstream.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Because I am paranoid about the internet, let's just say that I'm fifteen to twenty-five years old. Pokemon Yellow version was one of my first video games. I loved it, and I still play it to this day. I fell out of the anime when they got to Hoenn, but I never really strayed from the games. I have to say that gen III is my favorite generation. I don't care what anyone says. I really didn't even have a computer until very recently (less than a month ago), but I am into competitive Pokemon more than ever!

Sadly, I personally know exactly zero people who play Pokemon on the internet. Halo, yes. WoW, yes times ten. Pokemon, no. :( I also sometimes feel alone for enjoying competitive Pokemon, but meh. It is fun, so I am not going anywhere anytime soon! My parents still think I will grow out of my Pokemon phase! It has been over ten years!

Anyway, this whole online community is special just because we are the few who refuse to give up Pokemon. This reminds me of a quote from Scott at the Emerald Version Battle Frontier: "Every TRAINER is an individual. They all lead lives of their own. But when they're in a battle, it doesn't matter who they are. They're all the same!"

I hate how people say "oh you could be _years old and still play." Really as long as you can understand how to play you can play at any age.

almost 25. I pride myself on my pokemon playing, both ability and proliferation. Hell, Lanturn and I connected because of it, it's pretty legit. I may get ridiculed, but no more than I'd ridicule a friend for a shitty sports team. I got to an age where I realized "I am who I am...and who I am loves pokemon".

Man fuck feeling bad about playing a game, I enjoy it. Period.

I stopped playing Pokemon about 2 years ago when I was 20, I have no doubt down the line I'll pick it up my DS/GBA and have another crack at it, and I'm in no doubt that'll I'll probably put my kids onto it and play it with them.

Alot of the people I know around my age still play Pokemon from time to time.

Pokemon was a big part of everyone's childhood, whether it be the anime or the games, and like other things such as Transformers, TMNT will always be fondly remembered by anyone it ever touched.

I'm only 15 but I've been playing pokemon since R/B/Y days
My dad would play with me and he loved pokemon. he still does...and he's 43

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm 24 and everyone knows I play Pokemon. My older sister (29) gives me minor crap about it but I teach her husband about RNG abuse since he's more of a techy guy and I figured he would be interested in pRNGs no matter how they're applied. My parents are indifferent. Co-workers who are well over 30 don't care either, but will tease me some times.

My girlfriend is very accepting and plays TCG with me. She owns Pearl, HeartGold, and recently acquired Yellow for herself, and plays them in her spare time. She also humors me while I explain IVs, EVs, and the purpose of Natures and Abilities, and egg moves, but she's not too concerned since she plays in-game only. She knows about certain members on this forum (big fan of Fatecrashers' art) and I keep her up on bans, tiers and the like.

Anyways, back to age, I really only have trouble explaining myself to younger folks (teenagers) the appeal of Pokémon at my age. I do tell people that it is marketed wrong (not so lol) and that the battling mechanics are very complex (absolutely so).

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i think firestorm pretty much hit the nail on the head, or at least with regard to hgss/gen 4 in general

i think after that one final nostalgia kick pokemon has really lost its zest for me

I agree with Firestorm. I know a lot of people that returned to pokemon because of HG/SS.

I have been playing pokemon since first gen, i'm 25, i didn't liked the third gen at first and stayed out of pokemon because of that until the remakes (Fr/Lg) which i really enjoyed, and made me see Emerald (same game than Ru/Sa i know) in a diferent light. Played competitive for a couple of years through the end of 3rd gen and all 4th gen, that was another thing that made me feel interested in pokemon, but i have stopped and i don't plan to return for the fifth gen. Competitive play is over and done for me, because of time and i just got bored of it.

However my liking for pokemon (overall) will never go away, because it's been there since i was little, and i just like pokemon too much. Same can be said about other videogames which i won't lie, are part of my life already.

I've been playing the Pokemon video games since the Red and Blue games came out. When I was younger, a lot of people around me used to play, too. I tried to get into the circle of people that played the Gold and Silver games, but I didn't battle much. We mainly talked about the games. By the time high school rolled around, I was still playing the Advance games (mainly Sapphire, Fire, and Emerald). However, a lot of people my age stopped playing. I don't know why; frankly, I think the games get better with each generation. However, some younger kids up the street were playing Pokemon, so I hung out with them for a while. That just kind of stopped at some point, though.

And this is why kids who play Pokemon should go to college. :nerd: But seriously, I started college a few months after I got Diamond and managed to reunite with an old friend who moved to another town (turns out he was only about a ten-minute drive away from my house). The first couple of years of college were slow going but I did play against a few people here and there. By junior year, though, I found some people who were really big on the games. Now, I'm the Fighting Gym Leader of my school's newly-formed Pokemon League. I also see a lot of random people walking around with PokeWalkers ever since Heart and Soul came out (then again, I'm a game development major).

So, yeah. Awkward Zombie's comic is pretty true. http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=032910

I think this has been said before in this thread, but if you're over 20 and play Pokemon, that's fine. If people pick on you for playing Pokemon in college, then that's their problem. Those people don't know how to let others have fun. As long as it's not something interfering with the rest of your life, power to you. :)

I'm 30, first time I played Pokemon was when I was 19 when the original Blue and Red came out. Don't plan on stopping anytime soon either - However Black Ops is becoming increasingly addictive.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
20 in a few months so im posting in here.

I'll still play pokemon after 20 and ill be cool with that. Sure you might get teased a little bit but everyone is pretty much at the age where everyone has grown up a bit.

As others around my age have posted, I'll do so too.

17, turning 18 in October, been playing since GameBoy Colour's Red and Blue, took Yellow with me whenever I went, and I'll probably keep a DS with me even after I graduate. Pokemon is ageless. And coming from a non - closeted Trainer, it's nice to talk with your frinds about Pokemon from time to time, although I often start yapping about competitive stuff, and then I realize I better get back to 'Charizard & Empoleon'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)