XY OU Please Rate My Mono Fire Sun Team(First RMT :D)

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock
- Flare Blitz

Ok so this guy is just awesome. He is usually my lead. I'm considering replacing fake out with something else like fire punch so I can use blaze a bit longer,but most of the time my strategy with him is to use fake out. Taunt if I suspect a non-attacking move or stealth rock if I suspect an attacking move and then I proceed to use my blaze STAB flare blitz which either kills them or heavily damages them. This guy is such a beast as he can usually stop stealth rocks from going on my field and than proceed to hurt their stealth rock setter or heavily damage it(Or something else if they switch) He has nice speed giving him the ability to out speed a lot of common leads. EV's are pretty standard on this guy. Pretty much hit and run

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Here I have charizard Y which is my first sun setter. This set is pretty self explanatory. Pretty much come in and wreck shit up. I'm considering changing hidden power Ice to something like roost(I personally don't think defog would benefit too much as I already have a lead that can stop most hazard leads and a spinner that can come in on most physical attackers and rapid spin/yawn and then spin + it also gets rid of my hazards which kinda sucks) His moveset is pretty standard. I don't really see a use for d pulse because it only hits dragons super effectively which hp ice does too,but although it loses some power it hits flying types + it can hit a lot of pokes 4x effectively. Fire blast is there to destroy pokes that don't resist it. I used to use air slash,but some pokemon like tyranitar were too threatening to my so I had to use focus blast.Solar beam is there for pesky water types that resist fire blast and for gastrodon/quagsire which are a pain to kill. One thing I could see replacing hp ice for is hp ground for heatran. I could predict the switch in and use air slash if they have a balloon to break it and then I could proceed with Hp ground(Which I think kills) Ev's are standard. Come in deal damage,get the sun out,and go back.
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Lava Plume
- Yawn

Ok now on to Torkoal. This guy has saved me a lot. He has VERY good defense which is good because Gen 6 brought about a lot of new physical threats. When he comes in on a physical attacker(And some special ones) he has a lot of choices. First of all if rocks are up that's my first priority. If rocks are up most cases I will rapid spin,but sometimes I will yawn and then rapid spin. If rocks aren't up I have 3 choices. I can yawn to force a switch. I can lava plume to get damage off and go for a burn. Or I can get my rocks up if they aren't already up or have been spinned away. Ev's maximized in HP and Def so I can take physical hit's as well as possible and 4 SpA so I can get some extra damage off with Lava plume. I'm open to suggestions on this guy about lava plume/Yawn,I don't really want to change stealth rocks or rapid spin as those are essential to my team.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

So my next 2 or 3 pokemon rely on the surprise factor. First of all heatran. Scarftran was pretty standard last gen,but now in 6th gen you rarely see him. This allows me to score ko's that normal heatran would not be able to do. I used to run an eruption scarftran,but that forced me to run quiet which is +SpA -Speed which kind of sucked and I rarely ended up using it due to all the priority in 6th gen combined with the fact that heatran is the only thing on my team that can take special electric type moves which lowered my eruption's power so I replaced it will fire blast and that allowed me to run timid. After I did that fire blast was missing a lot and it's power just didn't cut it so I replaced it with overheat.Dark pulse is for ghosts and psychic types. Earth power for opposing mono fire(Really helps), Fire blast is for STAB and it is very powerful in the sun,and last but not least Flash cannon helps with fairies plus it's STAB. Ev's are to outspeed as much as possible while still hitting hard.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Zen Headbutt

I've loved Darmanitan ever since I caught one in Black and White. He was always so powerful with his life orb fire punch. He was always my win condition in the elite 4(Fuck chandelure) So he has base 95 speed which is pretty good. I put him on this team because some things like blissey or chansey were just too threatening. Plus my only physical attacker was my suicide lead. I also needed him to be fast because fire just has too many common weaknesses. Darmanitan was the perfect fit. He is my second scarfer. I run jolly to outspeed as much as possible with standard Ev's. Pretty much either sweep or come in hit hard with a flare blitz or predict a switch and go for a supereffective/neutral hit. Flare blitz for STAB Brick break is there for heatran and dark types,but it wasn't doing much because of it's low base power so I replaced it with superpower. Rock slide for talon that tries to switch into me. And zen headbutt is there for poison and fighting types. EV's are there to make sure I outspeed most pokes and hit hard

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Solarbeam
- Extrasensory

My last pokemon. This guy is my second drought setter. I tried to make him a set up sweeper(Not much success) I'm trying to use his base 100 spD which is pretty good. Basically come in on a special attacker,Flame charge and then nasty plot and you're pretty much set. Flame charge is there for the speed and also helps with blissey/not so much for chansey. Nasty plot to make it easier to sweep. Flamethrower is so misses don't mess up my sweep. I run heat rock for better sun support for my team or to make sure I have enough time to set up and sweep with the sun still up.(Can't really think of a better set for him) Pretty standard sweeping EV's Ninetales wasn't able to do much even with +2 spAtk and +1 speed so I changed him to a scarf set(Testing it) to see how it goes. So after I did that I changed the set to better compliment the added speed

So I'm open to all suggestions for the team and please list your reasoning.(Someone please tell me how to put an avatar for the pokes. I'm such a noob. I think it has something to do with the upload a file,but how do I make it in a certain place and where do I get the avatar files?) And please don't be too harsh this is my first team.

Last edited:

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hi even I use a fire mono since I have used fire team for a long time I think rotom heat can do better also its ground immunity which your team have ground very weak to ground if stealth rock is set charizard y is x4 weak so if you keep rotom heat insisted of infernape cuz you have a good stealth setter
Rotom wash move set
Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- thunder-wave

Last edited:
If there are rocks and the opponent sends in a scarfed Garchomp, there is only one way to stop it from sweeping, and that's sending your Charizard into the Rocks. It doesn't even have recovery, so it may be a great counter to your team. Also you might get 6-0ed if your Infernape fails to switch in, or Suicune gets over +1 boost.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 180-214 (44.5 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Infernape: 314-372 (107.1 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Infernape in Sun: 156-186 (53.2 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Keldeo can also be a problem, since:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 236-278 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 262-310 (81.1 - 95.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Darmanitan in Sun: 432-510 (123 - 145.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
--
For the suggestions, I would use Focus Blast over Air Slash on Charlizard. It might not be that reliable, but it beats so many things for your whole team, like Tyranitar.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 348-412 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Brick Break may be too weak, so why don't you use Superpower instead?
252 Atk Darmanitan Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 160-190 (48.3 - 57.4%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Darmanitan Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 256-302 (77.3 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and yes, DD Mega Gyarados is a big threat for your team too..

For Ninetales, ugh.. It cannot do many things without a scarf.. Of course it probably won't get a chance to set up. But without this pokemon, this team need a lot of changes. I would suggest a scarf set, but then you would lose some sun.

For Heatran, since you are running a scarf, why don't you try using Overheat instead of Fire Blast? It is a bit more accurate, a bit more strong. You won't be staying in for long since you are scarfed anyways.

Last edited:
Hi even I use a fire mono since I have used fire team for a long time I think rotom heat can do better also its ground immunity which your team have ground very weak to ground if stealth rock is set charizard y is x4 weak so if you keep rotom heat insisted of infernape cuz you have a good stealth setter
Rotom wash move set
Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- thunder-wave
Are you sure I should replace infernape? This pretty much guarantees opponents with sash or a fast lead with rocks WILL get it up and I can't get it off the field unless they bring in a physical attacker or a weak special one.

If there are rocks and the opponent sends in a scarfed Garchomp, there is only one way to stop it from sweeping, and that's sending your Charizard into the Rocks. It doesn't even have recovery, so it may be a great counter to your team. Also you might get 6-0ed if your Infernape fails to switch in, or Suicune gets over +1 boost.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 180-214 (44.5 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Infernape: 314-372 (107.1 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Infernape in Sun: 156-186 (53.2 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Keldeo can also be a problem, since:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 236-278 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 262-310 (81.1 - 95.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Darmanitan in Sun: 432-510 (123 - 145.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
--
For the suggestions, I would use Focus Blast over Air Slash on Charlizard. It might not be that reliable, but it beats so many things for your whole team, like Tyranitar.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 348-412 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Brick Break may be too weak, so why don't you use Superpower instead?
252 Atk Darmanitan Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 160-190 (48.3 - 57.4%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Darmanitan Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 256-302 (77.3 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and yes, DD Mega Gyarados is a big threat for your team too..

For Ninetales, ugh.. It cannot do many things without a scarf.. Of course it probably won't get a chance to set up. But without this pokemon, this team need a lot of changes. I would suggest a scarf set, but then you would lose some sun.

For Heatran, since you are running a scarf, why don't you try using Overheat instead of Fire Blast? It is a bit more accurate, a bit more strong. You won't be staying in for long since you are scarfed anyways.
Alright thanks. I'll replace air slash with focus miss on charizard. I forgot darmanitan got superpower so I'll definitely be putting that in. Ninetales I'm kind of hesitant about a scarf set,but I'll try it out and see how it goes. And do you think roost over hp ice would be good because I honestly think it won't really benefit since usually rocks are off the field and hp ice can take care of garchomp.

Alright thanks. I'll replace air slash with focus miss on charizard. I forgot darmanitan got superpower so I'll definitely be putting that in. Ninetales I'm kind of hesitant about a scarf set,but I'll try it out and see how it goes. And do you think roost over hp ice would be good because I honestly think it won't really benefit since usually rocks are off the field and hp ice can take care of garchomp.
If you can get the rocks off the field, sure. You might not need roost.
Anyways, HP Ice will OHKO Garchomp.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Garchomp: 388-460 (108.6 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The problem is, Garchomp is always faster, either scarfed or not. And you will..
252 Atk Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 404-476 (136 - 160.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
You cannot beat Garchomp with Charlizard Y unless you use exactly HP ice on the switch. Can you do that? If you can, HP Ice is worth it. Charlizard Y's Fire Blast in Sun is too strong, so neutral Fire Blast is even stronger than 4x weakness..
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor in Sun: 288-339 (81.8 - 96.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 280-332 (79.5 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
And yes, that HP Ice is 4x effective against Gliscor. Same goes for Landorus, too.
So basically you are running that move for one specific pokemon. Well, two actually. You can beat Dragonite with Rocks up.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 308-364 (95.3 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 270-318 (90.9 - 107%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

If you can get the rocks off the field, sure. You might not need roost.
Anyways, HP Ice will OHKO Garchomp.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Garchomp: 388-460 (108.6 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The problem is, Garchomp is always faster, either scarfed or not. And you will..
252 Atk Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 404-476 (136 - 160.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
You cannot beat Garchomp with Charlizard Y unless you use exactly HP ice on the switch. Can you do that? If you can, HP Ice is worth it. Charlizard Y's Fire Blast in Sun is too strong, so neutral Fire Blast is even stronger than 4x weakness..
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor in Sun: 288-339 (81.8 - 96.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 280-332 (79.5 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
And yes, that HP Ice is 4x effective against Gliscor. Same goes for Landorus, too.
So basically you are running that move for one specific pokemon. Well, two actually. You can beat Dragonite with Rocks up.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 308-364 (95.3 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 270-318 (90.9 - 107%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
You do bring up some very good points. What do you suggest I do? I mean I can usually predict the switch in the garchomp and hp ice,but I don't see mono ground/dragon a lot so is it worth changing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)