PO CaP Server working!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is FANTASTIC progress! Thanks for getting the ball rolling on a PO server, eric. If Rising Dusk is willing to host a server and do the other programming tasks to make a workable server -- then CAP may be back in business soon!

I have no problem whatsoever with handing off CAP server responsibilities to a new team that is ready and willing to get this stuff working. If the new server admins need any data from the existing CAP Shoddy server, just let me know.

As for general project leadership, I've been planning on having a changing of the guard there anyway -- we just haven't had a meaningful project to lead lately. The advent of a working simulator should provide the foundation for a renewed CAP project, and new leadership to move forward.

Long ago, we identified Deck Knight for a promotion to CAP moderator, so that will go through. Whoever is the primary server admin -- looks like Rising Dusk, and maybe Eric too (?) -- will also need some meaningful authority here on the forums to do that job effectively outside the server itself, where they will have supreme authority, of course. Server mods and all that will be completely up to the server admin, since they will own that whole thing, and I'm not going to try to tell them what to do on their own server.

I'm still going to be involved with CAP, but I don't want to have much direct leadership responsibility like I had in the past. The CAP project has a lot of history, rules and process now. We don't need a big "CAP mega-admin" to make every call. CAP mods need to run the show, and I'm sure they will have no problem taking the reins. I'll help settle disputes or whatever, if we have any political or organization struggles. But, I don't expect much of that. If the mods know they are in charge, and the server admin is part of the top leadership team -- then CAP should be able to get rolling just fine. I'll help with technical aspects of the CAP website, but I'm even trying to get some new SCMS features to help turn over maintenance of that too. Basically, I'll help where I am needed -- but I don't want the CAP project to be "mine".

I want other people to take this project and have fun with it. Deck Knight has done a wonderful job of keeping the lights on here in the CAP forum, and I'm sure he'll be a workhorse of leadership if the normal CAP project machine starts humming again. It looks like Eric and Rising Dusk are stepping up in a big way to support the technical needs of this project. Thank you, thank you, thank you for doing so! If you need ANYTHING from me to keep moving forward -- just give the word.

I want to see CAP get moving again, but I don't want to be only person supplying gas in the engine. This thread is a wonderful sign of progress. This should be lots of fun!

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Update: Fidgit movepool in, ability issue explained, no longer a problem. I'm going with the number of pre-evos in the second post for now. Generation difficulties need some code changes, but coyo says it won't cause incompatibility with older versions and is ok with the change to generation handling being applied to the general release, and that if we get stuck we can ask him for details. Going to talk to RD when he gets on.

Glad you guys like it, especially Doug! I think the plan is for Dusk and myself to have server owners, along with you I would assume. As for forum powers, RD and DK can probably take care of most everything, though if another set of hands are needed.. maybe.

Adding the rest in one go from here. Quicker that way.

Edit: All but movepools in.

Edit2:

Will there be an option to see how the Gen 4 CAPs work in a 5th Gen environment? They won't be balanced appropriately, but it would be a nice experiment. I know there was Policy Review talking about how they wouldn't work, but some of us play Pokemon for fun, after all. ;)

That's acceptable actually, as long as we don't change them and they are not used competitively. I kinda missed using Fidgit for my entry hazard duties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)