1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  3. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  4. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon Amethyst -~- A Sprite Resource Project

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Sleet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Bynine

Bynine

[​IMG]

There. 160 by 160, transparent, etc.
  2. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

No you're not (better than I am at least). Those are the only shading quirks I really noticed :B. Try making the highlight on the leg less of a circle/ellipse and more of a kidney-shape, adjusting the inward curve to the line-art, lol, if that makes any sense. Just a small piece of critique (I think). :>
  3. Sleet

Sleet

Thanks a lot, Tayla, I'm glad you liked him. In all honesty, the pose was a better choice than Sugimori.

I'll have a go at giving his knee different shading in a moment, because I've been working on ...
    [​IMG]

This took me soooo long. It's also the best picture I could find to display his size (length of 22 feet!!!), but I don't know if this is big enough for what you're all after (there is a bit of inconsistancy with larger sprites, so I hope it's not too far out). Ah well, it was fun to do anyway, despite being a total pain and awfully difficult.

Edit:
    Potential Croagunk update in the hide tabs
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Also, um, should I get rid of my Chingling and let Bynine use his?
  4. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

The Giratina looks great! Glad you did a legend, it turned out nicely.
    Croagunk's knee looks a lot better, thanks. :>
  5. Tayla

Tayla

Ahhh nice Gira :D I'll go ahead and peer your sprites now since I have nothing to do (an' I don't WANNA WORK ON GARCHOMP KSDFJKJF).

I have to run so I'll finish later, but I've done Happiny and Aipom. Mime Jr. could pass peer edits and go straight to QC to be honest.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  6. DjGopher

DjGopher

Looks great!
    Croagunk is almost perfect.. but I think a deeper coloring would be nice, same for giratina.
    Giratina should have dithering on the right (wings?) and tail to look dramatic..
    And be slightly darker in color.
    Otherwise, fantastic!

Aipom is great, however happiny looks ver awkward. It slants to the lower right, but is looking to the left.
    Maybe she broke her back?
    (Ps, hey! haven't seen you in a while)
  7. Oglemi

Oglemi it's me heysup's gay friend, the legendary gaysup
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

I disagree with the Happiny pose looking awkward. To me, it looks like she was bending over to pick up her egg/stone and turned to see that she is actually facing an opponent or whatever.
  8. Tayla

Tayla

Tbh, Giratina actually needs to be lighter, not darker.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also, Skorupi could pass peer edit no prob too. ^^
  9. Sleet

Sleet

Hello anyone!

Giratina. I'm glad you all like him, I guess his size doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm a bit unsure on what you all want his colour palette to be like, though. I've been using the HGSS one, so I would have to make up a custom palette. I did, however, change the right hand side of him to the lighter shade of grey to see if that has helped. If not, would anyone like to help out with his colouring? ._.

This Giratina has a few errors I thought needed correcting as well as dithered wings. If we don't like his new wings, I've still got the corrected one un-dithered. (I don't, however, know how to go about dithering his tail? He's ALL tail!)
    [​IMG]
    Apparently Croagunk also has the same issue as Giratina. Similarly, his colour scheme is from HGSS, therefore I would need a custom one if this one is not to your liking, DjGopher. (Alternatively, someone from QC might take a crack at it whenever they're free, given that you think he's perfect!)

Also, thank you, Tayla, for peer editing some sprites of mine!

For Persistence's benefit, I shall just copy the ones you've done into my post and label them clearly for him:

These have had 1 peer edit by Tayla – Aipom, Meditite, Medicham and Happiny
    Show Hide
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These have been looked at by Tayla but said that they might be able to pass through to QC - Mime Jr, Skorupi
    Show Hide
    [​IMG][​IMG]

EDIT: These have no edits as of yet – Pikachu (NOW SCRAPPED), Mr Mime (NOW SCRAPPED), Chingling (see below) and Croagunk (see above)
    Show Hide
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I would like some kind of word on whether or not my Chingling is worth bumping though, I've got no problems letting it rot if you'd all prefer to use BynineB's.

Also, I'm sorry for bringing this up, and it might just be me, but is the current Pichu too big? I was going to do a spiky eared one, but then I realised if I was basing it off of the accepted Pichu's height ... it'd be bigger than Pikachu.

(I'm sorry I keep posting my sprites, I just like to keep them together and up to date, I put them in hide tabs to minimize annoyance D: If there's a way I could minimise it further like making it more compact or whatever, please tell me because I don't know how or what forum codes, other than img and hide, do ._.)

THAT IS ALL.

EDIT: It is completely alright to tell me they're abysmal! I never properly like Mr Mime, and DjGopher also told me it wasn't too good. And I described Pikachu as a disgrace when I originally posted it, so I'm not too bothered about that. THEREFORE, Pikachu and Mr Mime shall be scrapped! This does however mean I've got to do another Kanto pokemon so I've done at least 10% of each generation.. Hurray!
  10. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

The Chingling decision bothers me. Yours is too similar to the DP sprite IMO, but Bynine's doesn't look as... smooth, lol. Not sure.
    Mime Jr. and Skorupi can go into QC I think, and I'll edit Croagunk in a bit when I'm using the laptop. :>
    Pikachu... should probably be scrapped, no offense. The pose is weird and so are the proportions, lol.
    Mr. Mime's mouth looks too big and there should be a highlight on his shoulders. The shoes also don't particularly match.
    Should probably wait for a more experienced spriter to critique though. :B
  11. lukemon

lukemon

wow that looks awesome
  12. Tayla

Tayla

I have to go to work, but I'll definently tinker with Giratina tonight. I do like the lighter gray on its sides. He just looked so drab being dark all along his sides.
  13. Ghost.

Ghost.

So I decided to move away from Sugimori for my Slowbro.

I inverted this card and thought it look pretty funky, considering Slowbro is normally sitting on its big fat ass.

[​IMG]

I'll begin spriting as soon as you picky gits tell me its a good pose ^^
  14. Bynine

Bynine

You might want to make the eyes regular so it isn't an evil Slowbro. Other than that, looks good to me.

The highlights on Giratina are rather messy.. they should be thicker.
  15. Ghost.

Ghost.

I liked the eyes :/

OPINIONS ON EYES OKAY? thx.

E: Slowbro is menacing, cmonnnn
  16. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

Agreeing with Bynine on the Slowbro. Good pose but the eyes are a bit odd. I'll be waiting to see how it turns out :> Also, currently trying to mess with Croagunk a bit. Will post later (and hopefully it'll look okay).

edit: Lol not that menacing. Also:
    [​IMG]The left (our left) arm bothered me, and I tweaked one or two pixels on the head to make the lowlight a bit more smooth-looking. Comments? :>

edit2: Tinkered with quite literally six pixels on Chingling. Added a couple highlights and lowlights.
    [​IMG]
  17. PurplePanda

PurplePanda

I like the evil eyes, it makes the pose more dynamic. Keep them.
  18. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Unless anyone objects, Smoochum, Phione, Minun, and Numel can pass.

QC on Ursaring:
    [​IMG]

Minor claw work, teeth work, shading work, ring work, flap work, snout work.

QC on Shaymin-S
    [​IMG]
    Flipped around-- the shading was already like this, anyway. Lots of smoothing out and general pixel surgery.

I'll update the website a bit later.

Sorry about being rather transient, Alch. :D
  19. Mektar

Mektar

I'm getting used to my new laptop right now. After I download Paint.net, I'll peer edit some sprites
  20. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

Posting to say some of the things in QC don't fit the size requirements (160x159 or 161x161, etc). Does this matter too much? If not, I may tweak the dimensions for the ones I can find. :> Only gonna do it with Persistence's say-so.'

edit: If Sleet uses a program where you can rotate the image freely and is still looking for a decent pose for Mr. Mime, this is a pretty good one I think.
    [​IMG]
    Comments?
  21. Mektar

Mektar

Coagunk is in the prosess of bieng edited.
  22. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

If there are any inconsistencies in size, please change them chocolate-kipp :)

I'll update if I have time (unlikely), sorry about this!
  23. Ghost.

Ghost.

Be sure to put up the latest Kanga/Lucario when you have time because they have had a couple peer edits.

Just some VERY initial lineart for Slowbro. I don't know if I've ever posted my lineart so yeah this is how I like to do it. Unless I get some major objection to the eyes, I'm keeping them angry seeing as I'm getting mixed signals about them.

[​IMG]
  24. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

Alright, thanks, Pers. :> Working on editing some right now.
    On another note, I changed Oddish's right foot because it was bothering me. Messed with both, actually, but more noticeably on the right.[​IMG]

Also putting all the resizes into a hide tab.

resizes (open)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Noticed that there were some Pokemon floating even though they're supposed to be grounded (Baltoy doesn't count since it has Levitate), and I'll fix those later, too.
  25. Ghost.

Ghost.

[​IMG]

Probably final line art until I begin filling it in.

Keep it colourful!!!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)