1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Amethyst -~- A Sprite Resource Project

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Sleet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. TacoHawk76

TacoHawk76

Putting out bursts of spriting every now and again; for the most part my enthusiasm has died. I will fight through it however. Reserving Tailow and Swellow. You can expect them done in 2 weeks time.

TacoHawk away...
  2. Sleet

Sleet

I have news

I have peer edited (yes, I have, really!) Floatzel, although it took ages due to the usual 'i feel like i want to demolish this and start from scratch' feeling. Also, as usual, I'm unsure if what I've done is right
    TacoHawk's on the left, mine on the right.
    [​IMG]
    I have:
    -Changed outline colours in quite a few places
    -Tweaked outline in a few places
    -Added a tooth (a single white pixel!)
    -Erased a stray colour. Mektar is right, there was 1 extra colour on Floatzel (the yellow on its own, next to his red inner mouth, is not any other type of yellow) I have corrected this on my version. (careful if you literally copied TacoHawk's, the black on the foot is not supposed to be there!)

I have NOT:
    -Changed the shading, as we know that's not a good idea for me, I did however 'finish' it when I changed some things, so you might want to go over it again. OR YOU MIGHT WANT TO IGNORE MY PEER EDIT ETC

I know Mektar said he was peer editing too, but I just wanted to give it a go.

I'm also curious as to people's Peer Editing/Quality Control methods

Also, here is a Spearow. Such a tiny sprite, it caused a lot of troubles for me ):
    [​IMG]
    I'm not going to lie, it IS Sugimori, and it IS in a kind of similar pose to DPPt, but with such an uninteresting pokemon, is this a problem?

I also need to compile which of my sprites have had peer edits and all of that kind of stuff, I dunno how I'm gonna do that, there's loads of them...

I had news
  3. Mektar

Mektar

My Version:
    [​IMG]

Take your pick.
  4. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

I don't know, but something about Floatzel seems off (YES BESTEST CRITICISM).

I do believe his head is a smidge small for the rest of his body.
  5. Mektar

Mektar

I FINALLY got around to doing Hail Castform.

[​IMG]
    Something just doesn't seem right about it. I think I did a good job with the Dithering, though. (first time's the charm)
  6. Arch

Arch

[​IMG]

The "illusion" of transparency is missing.
  7. Wichu

Wichu ACUPRESSURE
    is a Pokemon Researcher

That image isn't from the anime. I'm pretty sure that it's done by Ken Sugimori himself, and that it's an official piece of promotional art for Pokémon Platinum. Ken Sugimori is the lead Pokémon designer, so it's safe to assume the sizes in the picture are accurate.
  8. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I made a Heatran sketch a while back, and told people I was working on a sprite. I haven't posted since then, but I HAVE been working on it off and on for several weeks. Here is the current work-in-progress:

[​IMG]

This sprite is totally scratch from my own design (see here), which I made specifically to fill the sprite frame effectively. I have numerous stray colors and color mismaps in there, which I need to clean up. But overall, this gives you a decent idea of how the finished sprite will look.

I've got a lot of other things going on, so I'm not able to work on this sprite very often. But, I do plan to finish this sprite in due time. Slowly but surely, I'll get there!
  9. Mektar

Mektar

I'm editing Hail Castform's 'Transparency'. In MS Paint. I got Paint.net, but I'm still not sure how it works. Is there a guide somewhere that I could use?
  10. DjGopher

DjGopher

yawn?[​IMG]
    Only posting to ask if you like the pose?
    There are like three out there, the sugimori one doesn't look right to me, and the mainstream one is way too mainstream. :/
    (this one was on like page 14 of google images)

Edit
    Doug that heatran is looking really nice!
    I do have a point of critique though..
    The tongue represents more a large ball than a tongue..
    I think it's the shading, maybe make it more round? or maybe a little lighter (the main part)
    Other than that, great work :D
  11. Ghost.

Ghost.

I've reserved Slowpoke and Slowbro. Slowbro is currently half done and I still plan on following on with Slowpoke. I'm pretty sure you didn't reserve it before me.

See below for reservation :)

Show Hide

Here is an idea of where I am on Slowbro:

[​IMG]

Obviously quite a bit to do still :/

SLOWMOOBRO.
  12. DjGopher

DjGopher

:/
    I wish I knew
    It's blank on the list :P
    Well, if you want to start from somewhere..
    [​IMG]
    But feel free to discard it :3
    I'll edit later with another poke..

Edit:
    This is why reservations didn't work in the past.. New users (no offense) would make one of their first posts here reserving multiple pokmeon that remained reserved for months.
    The point of reserving is if you are working on it at the moment but are busy, not just if you might in the future..
  13. Ghost.

Ghost.

On second thoughts, you have already started it... and I probably wouldn't get to do it for a couple of weeks, AND IM A SHARING PERSON.

I'll un reserve Slowpoke on the condition that DJGopher does it justice ;3

I'll move onto a BW poke after Slowbro instead.

*Note: I reserved both Slowpoke & Slowbro originally because I was working on Slowbro and I thought consistency would be better for an evolution line.
  14. icay4321

icay4321

Alright, and no offense taken by the way, I'll just delete that post...
    Nice work on Slowpoke by the way
  15. DjGopher

DjGopher

Icay don't feel obligated to!
    I was just pointing out what happened before, and supporting why I didn't think slowpoke was reserved.
    If you want to participate and think you will follow through with it, please do :D
    Sorry if what I said was understood differently..

@Ghost
    Will update later..
    Btw, nice work on slowbro up there..
  16. Mektar

Mektar

Too lazy to upload my Hail Castform edit right now. Before I start any more sprites, I'll wait for the ones I have made so far to be edited. Please ture to the previous page and edit something of mine!

PS: Reserveing Genosect. He's too badass to pass up.
  17. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

Awhile back, Wichu (I think) said that she (or he, lol sorry) didn't want any Gen 5 Pokemon done until either all the Ken Sugimori art was released or we had all the Pokemon up to Gen 4 finished. Can't remember which one, but you get the point.

Planning on editing Mow-Rotom.
  18. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

That was me. I'm not nearly as magical, so you can choose to ignore me if you want and do gen 5.
  19. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I'm throwing my weight behind Scepty here, all we know about the designs of the Pokemon [Unless their Sugimori has been released] is from their sprites - that isn't enough, there could be quirks about their design that we can't see. Therefore, please do not do any Gen5 Pokemon at the moment.

I'm sorry about the Slowpoke/Slowbro situation, that's my fault for not being able to update. I am, however, updating today!
  20. Sleet

Sleet

If you're updating today, then I'd better assemble all of my sprites in one post with peer edit numbers and whatever, so you don't have to go searching through my posts and whatnot.

My sprites done since the last update (Number of peer edits - user(s) who did them):
    Show Hide

[​IMG]0 - My newest, nothing as of yet
    [​IMG]0 - However, Tayla has looked at it and thinks it can pass to QC
    [​IMG]0 - Same as Skorupi, but both DjGopher and Tayla this time
    [​IMG]1 - Tayla
    [​IMG]1 - Tayla
    [​IMG]1 - Tayla
    [​IMG]1 - Tayla
    [​IMG]1 - Chocolate-kipp
    [​IMG]1 - Chocolate-kipp
    [​IMG]1 - Chocolate-kipp
    [​IMG]1 - Wickdaggler

I've posted all of the ones that I've done, because I intend to finish them off if you've got any problems with them. I don't really think I'm gonna finish off Weezing or Mr Mime though.

I'll do something eventually, after these 11 are out of the way.

Does anyone else, however, feel as if the accepted and complete Pichu is too large? I think it is a bit, if a Pikachu were done to the proper size, it would be smaller than Pichu, and Pichu would also affect the Spiky-Eared one. I could be wrong, though

that is all.
  21. Ghost.

Ghost.

Same as Sleet, just posting previous sprites because they were peer edited a bit since last time.

Show Hide
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Transparant and the right size, yay.
  22. Mektar

Mektar

I kind of figured that out. I just wanted to make sure that I would be the one to make Genosect when the time comes.

Here is Hail Castform V2:
    [​IMG]
  23. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Updated. I've decided that selected members will be able to reserve Gen5 Pokemon, but not work on them until Sugimori art has been released. Who gets to be one of these selected members will be decided by me when you PM me asking to reserve one.
  24. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

Peer edited Rotom-Mow and redid a lot of things.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Mektar's on the left, mine on the right.

I changed the color scheme to match the Platinum sprite, messed with a whole lot of outline (most noticeably on its back and green plasma thing) and changed shading. I'm not too sure how I should shade it but I think it's at least a bit better, especially on the top of it. I also changed its eyes.

Comments?

Also, Sleet, I plan on peer editing your Spearow.

EDIT: Too small for me to peer edit, lol. Messed with Aipom instead since some of the outline was missing.
    [​IMG]

Shading's a bit different, too. Comments?
  25. Arch

Arch

Ya I gave up on hitmonlee, I'll have ninjask done later today.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)