1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Amethyst -~- A Sprite Resource Project

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Sleet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Ghost.

Ghost.

[​IMG]

I'm going so slowwwww on Slowbro. I'm just doing a few pixels a day ^^

Tbh I'm struggling to find any areas that need shading :( Spriter's block. Hopefully I'll get it done this week.

I'm going to peer edit some stuff here.
  2. Wizwum

Wizwum

Slowbro's outline needs to be a LOT darker. And there are a few outlining issues. The eyes should be circles, not octagons, and the shell's mouth needs smoothing out in some places, along with redoing the teeth.

Not finding much time for this atm guys, but when (if...?) I get back on top of work I'll be posting again.
  3. Ghost.

Ghost.

It was just a WIP post so yeah... its nowhere near done.

What do you mean about the eyes though?

whats wrong with the teeth...they are digging INTO Slowbro afterall.

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  4. Sleet

Sleet

I'm really sorry about that, Chocolate-kipp, I didn't even notice. Yeah, it's infinitely better - it's complete >_> I guess I should actually look at peer edits rather than just be thankful they're done!

I chose to do Sugimori not because I couldn't find anything, but because I like this pose and it's not been done before.

If you disagree, kindly look into his eyes and be hypnotised. THANKS VERY MUCH
    [​IMG]
    Edit: More up to date version has replaced the above, the toes are disgraceful indeed. It is a double line, should I make it one? Oh dear mutant Hypno ): I COPIED THE SUGIMORI ART SHADING ON A FEW PLACES.

And they are my answers in not the right order!
  5. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

Thanks for the comment about Aipom. c:

The pose is good, but a few little nitpicks:

-The left hand (our left, just assume I mean our left/right for anything I point out) has what looks like a double line where the thumb connects to the other fingers, either because it actually is a double line or because the outline is too dark, not sure.
    -The right leg looks deformed where it connects to the inner waist/other leg because of the angle. The toes are also a bit off.
    -The left leg's shading around the knee is kind of weird, and the toes are also kind of iffy.

Sorry for no actually useful comments; I'm in a rush. :B I'll edit a few things later and leave the bigger changes for the better spriters.

EDIT: Lol I noticed your edit after I finished my edit.
    [​IMG]

I NEVER USE REFERENCES BECAUSE I AM LAAAAAME.
    But either way I messed with the hand and made it look better and worse and I also messed with the other hand's shading.
    I also messed with his ear and his nose. :B

EDIT AGAIN: Changed it so that the ruffles and toes match Sleet's. Still has my changes though. I also fixed the black (hopefully).
  6. Arch

Arch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peer edit me n' stuff.
  7. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

[​IMG]

Messed with line-art and shading. Also changed the wing (used BW sprite for a reference).

Also tinkered with Ninjask's wings.
    [​IMG]
  8. Mektar

Mektar

Looks good. PEER EDITS = 1
  9. Tayla

Tayla

[​IMG]

Starstarstar. (forgot about transparency)
  10. icay4321

icay4321

[​IMG]this thing needs a lot of work, but I thought I'd leave it in case others wanted to touch it up. Or, you can just scrap it, I won't be offended, lol
  11. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

We already have an Aipom in the making, and it seems that most people like it a lot, so that probably will be scrapped, no offense.

Also, the Staraptor still isn't transparent (I see the white in the background).
  12. DjGopher

DjGopher

I'd suggest using a picture to pixel over..
    No offense, but if you look at some of the other sprites here you would see that this isn't quite up to par.
  13. bobertbojo2

bobertbojo2

I'm thinking of doing wailmer. heres the lineart:

[​IMG]
    btw I'm using paint so I can't make transparent BG
    [​IMG]
  14. Mektar

Mektar

Do pixel overs. That linart isn't quite sprite material.
  15. icay4321

icay4321

No offense, I was extremely bored and tired when I made this, so I didn't care... I migh do a pixel over later, but I don't know if I care enough to.
  16. bobertbojo2

bobertbojo2

Is this any better? I know the bottom's a bit scribbly, but it took a long time to find how to do a pixel over with paint and I was losing my patience. [​IMG]
  17. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

If you're not gonna try too hard, then I wouldn't bother, lol. No offense.
  18. icay4321

icay4321

Alright, I get it, it sucked. Lol, jk, I can't wait to see what this turns out to be like:D
  19. bobertbojo2

bobertbojo2

okay, I finished wailmer. This is my first sprite, so I know I'm going to need QC to fix the shading and maybe some outlines
    [​IMG]

if someone could teach me how to dither, that would be great
  20. Arch

Arch

I don't want this topic to start getting pompus.
    This is a project open for anyone who would like to contribute. So if you see someone who has a less than experienced sprite, then give them advice! Saying to come back when you learn to sprite helps nobody!

Anyways, the Wailmer sprite is choppy, to say the least. Feel free to keep trying, but I would completely start a new Wailmer sprite as the current one is just a mess.

There's quite a bit of advice to give, but I think you should look at Alch's pixel over guide in the OP, as well as his spriting article in The Smog.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/spriting

I thought there was another one, couldn't find it though. <_<
  21. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

Yeah I agree with Arch. I don't know anything about spriting, but boy would I love to get ridiculed by chocolate-kipp for trying to do something. In all seriousness, just because something is posted in here doesn't mean it will be accepted, so I don't see the point in flat out insulting someone who tried. Some users' sprites just aren't game-freak quality like some of the amazing artists here, but they shouldn't be ridiculed in a community project.
  22. Mastadi

Mastadi

Hey guys, I'm working on a parasect currently... here's the current demo version :P
    [​IMG]
    (No shading done yet whatsoever)

Now, here comes the hardest bit: actually shading it... but I should do that soon, the claws are giving me some trouble but aside from that I think it's fine :)

Any criticism on the lineart? (Please be nice, it's my first ever pixel over and one of my first ever sprites which isn't a crappy fusion or whatnot :P)
  23. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Yep, there was another one Arch, though not much isn't relevant to pixel overing there.

Also I'm glad that this mini-tirade was nipped in the bud. I still have things to say though.

As has already been mentioned, there is currently a great Aipom in QC, so that one won't be accepted, sorry! I highly recommend reading my pixel overing article, as you seem to be missing quite a few key parts.

There isn't a Wailmer being worked upon currently, but that one is relatively unsalvageable. Once again, reading the article is a must. Also: .JPEG is a spriting taboo, use .PNG. Also one of my rules from the OP has already been quoted: you cannot rely on QC to do your work. While this may come off as rude, the few Quality Control spriters that we have do not have time to effectively remake a sprite, so the work that they have to do should be minimised.

Parasect looks pretty good - you need to make the eye outlines uniform though.
  24. Mektar

Mektar

Bah. I was going to do Parasect, but I don't really care.
  25. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Then why bother mentioning it? ?_?

Hup sorry for not doing anything lately. The sprites I did QC some time back are no longer in the QC list but they're not in the album (I don't think).

Maybe something much later!

UP UP AWAY

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)