1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Amethyst -~- A Sprite Resource Project

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Sleet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hm interesting, I haven't picked up on this. Can you provide specific examples?

E: Update, though there wasn't much to do. Note that when Peer Editing sprites, your final product must be ready for QC. This means transparency, and being in a 160x160 box with nothing else except the sprite. I say this because two sprites (Staraptor, Rotom-C) haven't gone through for those reasons.
  2. bobertbojo2

bobertbojo2

okay, I'm trying the pixel over again. so far, I've done the lineart. Here it is:
    [​IMG]
  3. Mastadi

Mastadi

[​IMG]

Sorry for the shoddiness of shading, I did my best... which is not very good :(
  4. bobertbojo2

bobertbojo2

hey. I'm using photofiltre for the transparent BG, but it is giving me some garbage pixels. Oh well. If you can live with the brownish outline, I'd be happy to have someone peer edit to help alittle with the shading
    [​IMG]
  5. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Basically, I believe every sprite mentioned in this post is no longer in the QC list but is not in the album.

Am I missing something, Alch? :A
  6. Alchemator

As I said before, reading the articles is a must - both the one Arch kindly linked to, and the prelimary one I linked to [which concerns transparency, and uploading].

Ah now that you mention it I don't remember uploading those. I'll get to it the next time I update.
  7. Mektar

Mektar

Mastadi, I edited your Parasect.
    [​IMG]

Mostly tweaked the shading and outlines.
  8. Mastadi

Mastadi

Thanks, I always struggled with shading the outlines :P
  9. Energy Storm

Energy Storm

I hope you don't mind that I rounded out Parasect's eyes a bit.

[​IMG]
  10. Mektar

Mektar

The eyes look good now, but did you have to ruin my sizing and transparency?
  11. WPS

WPS

12. Alchemator

13. Energy Storm

Energy Storm

I don't see much of a difference in the size, but sorry about the transparency. I have no idea how to do that to a sprite. :/
  14. Mektar

Mektar

I meant the size of the canvas.
  15. Energy Storm

Energy Storm

Here's the (hopefully) fixed Parasect:

[​IMG]
  16. Tayla

Tayla

Thanks for your contribution to peer editing, Energy Storm. Don't worry about getting screamed at for something trivial as canvas size >>
  17. WPS

WPS

Et voila!
    [​IMG]
    Took a little longer then expected, and then sleep and school got in the way.

Anyway, I'm not too happy with the shading on the leftmost leg and the tail, and I'm not too sure what to do with the toenails. If someone thinks they could fix that, it would help.
  18. Alchemator

[​IMG]
    I need to practise more. There's some outline issues, but I'll fix them later.
  19. doominic77

doominic77

umm, i may be wrong but doesn't parasect have pupils. if not i think it would look better with them (doesn't really matter because its not the pokemon but anyway).
  20. Naxte

Naxte

Parasect doesn't have any pupils in its art:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:047Parasect.png

Presumably, this is to indicate how the mushroom on its back has completely taken over when it evolves--the blank pupils represent the absence of the host's will at that point and it being entirely controlled.
  21. DjGopher

DjGopher

Dithering! I think it should be deeper in color, it looks more rock like than ghost like. The far left shouldn't be a flat line, and the right (it's left) "strand" should be more wave like in my opinion.. looks solid and sharp.
    I know that sounds like a lot, but it is a great sprite :D

[​IMG]
    Should have some dithering on the hind legs and on the upper torso
    The far left end of the head piece should have light on it coming from the upper left, not directly above, so it looks like it's straight out from the forehead not to it's right..
  22. Lord_a-Jeroth

Lord_a-Jeroth

So I've been keeping up with this recently and I thought I might be able to help out a little. Right now, I really suck at shading and outlining, but I saw earlier someone just posted a lineart for half credit and I would be happy to do something like that until i get better. I saw that Mewtwo was claimed in like January, but aXL hasn't posted since July and its no longer in the reserved list in the OP so...

[​IMG]

This is what I have so far. The original art is here hopefully it still looks okay without the Shadow Ball. Obviously suggestions are appreciated and I'll see what I can do on the shading/outline. This is the first lineart that I've actually finished so be gentle. Also I know the eye/top hand is kinda wonky, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it.
  23. Mektar

Mektar

Here is the list of my sprites in need of Peer Edits. They may or may not be transparent.
    [​IMG]
    Peer Edits: 0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Peer Edits: 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Peer edits: 0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Peer Edits: 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This page will be updated accordingly. I have linked it into my sig for ease of access.
  24. bobertbojo2

bobertbojo2

[​IMG]
    I'm ready for QC. I'm just plain bad at shading, I guess that happens with your first sprite.
  25. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Erm...you should worry about the shading later. Your lineart is really jagged. Are you sure you read the articles I saw Alch suggested to you?

[​IMG]
    For example: I took the top-rightish part of its forehead. Compare your line to my line. In addition, notice how to round out the eye. Also, please no dithering. Wailmer is a slick ball whale.

Sorry, try again.

QC stamp of awesomeness (these can pass):
    Starly, Ninjask, Chingling, Happiny, Mime Jr., Skorupi.

Keep in mind I didn't really check their sizes. >_> If there's something flagrantly off please do tell.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)