1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Amethyst -~- A Sprite Resource Project

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Sleet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Well hello there everyone! *crickets chirp*

I have constructed a crafty creation that cuts the crying about crazy sizes (hopefully).

[​IMG]
    Here is a nifty 160 x 160 size scale. Each bar represents about 6 inches. So a Pokemon 1' tall would take up 2 bars. The tallest Pokemon that can fit in 160 x 160 to scale is about 6' 5".
  2. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Thanks! I'm sure this will be very useful!

I did a line work of Porygon-Z. Feedbacks please.

[​IMG]
  3. Tayla

Tayla

It's cute. :) Maybe make the beak a little bit thinner and longer.

[​IMG] Bare basics of Plusle done. Idk what it is about these two critters' eyes and paws but --. I'm just posting him to make sure he's okay before I put him on my list of to-do. :3
  4. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Hmm...I did picture Porygon-Z's beak to be broad and fairly short, but I guess I could make it thinner.

For Plusle, I don't think that the sprite needs to be super-duper cute. I think it has to be less cute to meet the standards of a Pokemon sprite.
  5. Tayla

Tayla

Well unlike Minun, I couldn't find a piece of artwork that Plusle wasn't leaking cute. D: I don't think that's necessarily the case. Plusle's Platinum sprite has it bouncing around with a big cheesy grin. Some Pokes are just naturally unable to look fierce.
  6. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

That's true, but I think that Plusle's eyes are too "watery". Try making the white glares on the eyes smaller.
  7. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

I come trumpeting in to proclaim that Plusle and Minun are both too large. They need to be about half the height. It's also quite obvious when a 1' 4" Plusle is about the same height as a 2' 11" Porygon-Z (the the Porygon-Z is a good size!).

...not to mention the basic shape and outlining on both are a bit...off.
  8. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

NOOOOOOO!!! I just finished Porygon-Z... T_T Anyways, had the most difficulty with the eyes since it's supposed to be angled.

[​IMG]

Have you noticed that it's my first sprite that has a transparent background?
  9. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

I was talking about Plusle and Minun's shape and outline. My apologies for being ambiguous.

...Although Z does not have such a thick duck-bill like beak like the one you have.
  10. pacifist

pacifist

Ok I tried to remove the Anti-Aliasing in MSPaint:
    [​IMG]
    But how do I remove the white background?
  11. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

No worries. I thought that Z would have a broad duck-bill like beak judging by the sprite, but maybe it was just the angle (I don't look at TCG for images of Porygon-Z).

I made Banette transparent since I finally spent 5 seconds of my life figuring out how.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: @Angry Pacifist:

[​IMG]

All you need to do is use the magic wand tool (in GIMP and Photoshop) to get rid of the background picture, resulting in transparency in its place. MS Paint does not support transparency.

EDIT2: I'm thinking of reserving the Spinarak family.
  12. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Excellent, Danilyu. Banette's looking really good now.

Angry Pacifist, you can't remove white backgrounds in Paint. XD And there are some portions where the outline is thicker than 1 pixel. Sprites generally have only 1 pixel thick outlines.
  13. pacifist

pacifist

Ok, so do you think I could add another color in a different tone of gray to kind of take their places? Or are you saying the I should just take the color next to it and replace it with it?

Well I just put it in paint to get rid of the AA, so you're saying put it in Ps and magic wand select it, then save it? Or reverse the selection and delete it?
  14. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

@Scepticallistic: For Porygon-Z, is the beak too think in terms of width, or in terms of depth?
  15. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

danilyu: In terms of width.

Angry Pacifist, I've cleaned up your Cranidos sprite just a bit, but I'm no expert.
    [​IMG]
    I also added a bit of shading to the white portions and removed the background.
  16. wickdaggler

wickdaggler

Damn, that looks really good. Just ignore mine, then.
  17. pacifist

pacifist

Wow, thanks! I was working on it but it probably would have taken me a half hour ^^. So is there anything else on the checklist that it doesn't meet? And whats this submission to QC thing?

Edit: Darkanine, sorry!! I didn't check back here until after I re-did it. I hope you like it though!
  18. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

How about now?

[​IMG]
  19. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

QC is Quality Control. Everything we crank out here has to pass through certain experts to make sure they're up to par before it becomes "official."

The QC is always severely backed up, though, because the QC experts are few and don't log on often, while we underlings crank out sprites left and right (most of them are of decent quality, methinks).
  20. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Ugh, QC, that's what I meant to say in my past posts. Anyways, I saw that the middle part of the tail looked kinda iffy in terms of outline, so I fixed it.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Added transparency to my Regigigas sprite. Fixed some outline issues on its right (our left) wrist.

[​IMG]
  21. Tayla

Tayla

Argh. I'm sorry I don't understand basic math. I'm always so afraid of making them too small to add detail to. Or the outline on them meshes in with the rest so it's hard to pixel it right.

[​IMG] I tried a Bagon.. Did I get the size right?
  22. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Bagon looks pretty good size-wise. Some very minor art issues that I'll probably help with tomorrow, or maybe someone will ninja me before then.
  23. Tayla

Tayla

Okay. Thanks Scept :)
  24. Arch

Arch

Yah QC obviously won't be getting done anytime soon, Alch I'm applying to be QC.
  25. ColdRAIN

ColdRAIN

@ Danilyu - I'm no expert and to be honest I've never done a scratch sprite but just a couple of comments on Regigigas:
    His yellow wristbands I think need to be a little bit bigger.
    His right shoulder pad, our left (no offence) looks like its inflated, maybe make it look a bit more like the other one?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)