1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Amethyst -~- A Sprite Resource Project

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Sleet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Question: Do we plan on making Spiky-eared Pichu and all 28 Unown forms?
  2. Arch

Arch

The spiky eared pichu seems pretty useless and uneeded, but I'm sure we'll need to make all the unkown forms, as well as both giratina forms.
  3. Skymin_Flower

Skymin_Flower It's Seed Flare time.

I will do the Spiky Eared Pichu. Who knows, we may need it, and i think it should be done for the sake of completeness anyway.
  4. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

Height Checked Zorua real quickly and it is the right height. It should be 27.6 inches tall, and it passes the fifth mark. If anything, it's close enough to the average height to where we can just say that it's a slightly larger one. Not all Pokemon are the same height after all. +)
  5. MrBlack

MrBlack

Alchemator, could you please replace the current Metagross in the album with the most recent one (my last post and also in Blackhawk's post)
  6. Nopie

Nopie

[​IMG]

I've redone Mankey, making it the proper size.

[​IMG]

I also edited Deoxys Normal Forme with the changes suggested.

[​IMG]

I've made a start on Arceus as well. I didn't see anyone had reserved it, so I just went ahead and did it. Let me know what you think of it!

Once this No Plate Forme gets quality checked and approved, I'll get the other Plate Formes done and submitted as well.

Finally, I'd like to make some reservations for Munchlax, Tyrogue, the Torchic family, the Turtwig family, and the Poliwag family, if that's alright with everyone else.
  7. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Nopie, I think the Arceus looks a bit chibi. ._.

I was thinking of something more like:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

But it's still very well done. XD
  8. Nopie

Nopie

I did see that art while I was looking for poses for Arceus, in fact the final two that I ended up choosing between were that one and the one that I eventually chose and used. I almost chose that one, but I remembered that danilyu tried a similar worm's-eye-view pose with Groudon which didn't really turn out too well in the end so it put me off.

Arceus is pretty difficult, seeing as there aren't too many references for its appearance out there and you have to fit its ten foot tall body into a effectively just six and a half feet. Are there any places you see where it could be improved? I'm pretty happy with how it turned out to look, but that's not saying it couldn't be better.
  9. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

The thing is you had to make its legs and neck shorter to fit it into 160 x 160, so I don't really know what to change besides making the entire thing smaller and just extending its limbs (which I don't think would work very well). I kind of want to say the worm's-eye-view would maybe work since we have a pretty definite base to work on with that picture. I don't really know what you should do. x)
  10. Nopie

Nopie

Yeah, it's a pretty difficult one. The thing that's a pain is getting the whole thing into the 160x160 box while still showing off all the aspects of its appearance and making it seem as big as possible. If you scale that Arceus down to fit 160x160 (keeping in mind that the bottom of its legs aren't even in that art) it will probably look smaller than my sprite due to the fact that it doesn't take up as much of the space in the box. That's why I chose the pose I did - it takes up as much space in the box that it can without looking too small or unnatural. I think that's the aim you have to take with these larger-than-6'5" Pokemon.

I don't know, maybe I'll try doing a lineart of that pose just to see how it looks.

Actually, I just scaled down that art to fit 160x160 (leaving room at the bottom to finish off the feet) and put it side by side with the sprite I made to compare. Now I'm having trouble deciding which is better. Could everyone please give their opinion on this?

[​IMG]
  11. Tayla

Tayla

12. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Haha so I guess that view doesn't work very well. ;D We'll stick with yours then.

And on another note, I'm somewhat pleased to announce the Pokemon Amethyst Sprite Gallery! It's pretty self-explanatory: just visit it yourself and see!

Now, I'll only add new sprites to the gallery when Alch approves of sprites by adding them to his Tinypic account. The sprite accepting process is still the same, except now that it'll just end up in one more spot besides the mass in Tinypic.

I also refrain from touching the sprite itself; on several sprites, however, I've stuck them in 160 x 160 canvases if they weren't before and moved them down so they're not floating, as many members had complained about that in the past. Otherwise, I don't meddle.

Obviously, the site is simple since I'm not a website designing wiz. If you guys have anything you'd like added or changed I'll see what I can do!

Right now, the biggest thing I need from all of you is a comprehensive list of all your authored sprites and sprites you've QC'd. The list on the OP is not quite accurate and out of date, so please PM a list of your work and I'll make sure you're credited where it's due! Right now, it's just my name floating around, so I'd appreciate if you could PM the list as soon as is convenient. ^-^ If you'd like to be known by something other than your forum name, add that too. :D
  13. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

Custom Sprites that I have made:
    Gallade
    Gardevoir

Sprites that I have QC'd:
    Tentacruel
    Darkrai
    Cresselia
    Raikou
    Zorua

Hope this helps.
  14. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Excellent. You've been updated. Thank you!
  15. Nopie

Nopie

Wow, that's great! I really like that we can see everyone's work side-by-side.

Here's all the sprites I've made so far:

Diglett
    Dugtrio
    Mankey
    Primeape
    Deoxys
    Deoxys-A
    Deoxys-D
    Deoxys-S
    Azelf
    Mesprit
    Uxie
    Arceus-No Plate
  16. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

In terms of pose, I like the other pic better, but in terms of being practical, I like yours. Sorry about my long absence guys, but it seems I have finally found time to sprite today (yay).

That gallery looks awesome, but some (or most) sprites don't credit their artists. Also, the Jirachi sprite in the gallery gives full credit to Scepticallistic when the original artist was Agaki, who I believe should receive at least partial credit for the sprite since he made the original base art.

EDIT: The eyes on that Arceus needs more work; the sections look too mono-coloured.
  17. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Nopie, I remember seeing your other Deoxys sprites before but now I can't seem to find them anywhere. >_>

Danilyu, maybe you were in a rush, but I need you to glance at my initial post. :)

Also, I've added a cheesy little completion meter off to the side above the Smeargle button. x) The percentage is found by dividing Alch's number in the OP with 557 (the rough total sprite count).
  18. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Ah, my bad. Anyways, I PM'd you about which sprites I did. Also, I think you should put the link to your gallery in your sig. It would be so much easier to reach :)

EDIT: >.< I didn't realize that the link in your sig led to the gallery (I thought it linked to this thread).
  19. Nopie

Nopie

If you need them, here they are. Normal Forme hasn't been approved yet though.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Also, besides Arceus, Unown, and Spiky-Eared Pichu, I think it would be fine to put all the Formes of Pokemon in with the normal Pokedex. I think it would be better to be able to scroll through and see the different Formes of Pokemon like Castform, Cherrim, Shellos/Gastrodon, etc. without having to go to the bottom of the page. I don't think any Pokemon besides Arceus and Unown have more than six different Formes, and most only have two or three, so I don't really think it would ruin the flow of the Pokedex as a whole.

Incidentally, does anyone know what we're doing about gender differences? I don't think it's been brought up yet, but there are a few Pokemon that have been sprited so far with gender differences, and it hasn't been addressed yet. Wobbufett, Heracross, and Pikachu come to mind. And what about shinies?
  20. JarardoMartino

JarardoMartino

Yanmega again...
    [​IMG]
    I posted this before but then smogon said it was an invalid file so i had to upload it on photobucket instead.
  21. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Gender changes aren't too drastic, so they shouldn't be too hard. The most drastic difference between gender IMO is the Hippowdon family, but they're just recolours. And shinies are just recolours as well, so it shouldn't be too hard.
  22. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Nopie, here's the deal. I used some simple Java programming to generate the hundreds of lines of code including all the numbers and Pokemon names. To reorganize everything would be a massive endeavor, since specific information is all over it now. I can make it so that you can click the normal sprite in the main Pokedex and it will jump to where it is in the Alternate Forme section, or maybe I can figure out how to get it to open in a small window separately.
  23. Arch

Arch

I don't like either of them. Yours looks too cuddly and ..... not like God, and the left pose just wouldn't work.
  24. Nopie

Nopie

Yeah, shinies aren't really a problem. The thing is, gender differences might become troublesome if we just leave them until later on. We'd have to go back through all the ones that need gender differences and make the changes, and we might not be able to keep track well or we might miss some. I think it would be easier to just address any gender differences when making the initial sprite, so it would all get done at the same time. I suggest that if anyone decides to sprite a Pokemon with any gender differences, they sprite it as well in order to make less work and confusion later on in the project. And if anyone would like to go back through the few submitted Pokemon with gender differences and make those changes now that would probably make things easier as well.

Ah, I see. I don't know much about web design so I thought modifying a table might be simple. Guess I was wrong :p

At least make Cherrim's sprite in the main section be Positive Forme. Negative Form looks so sad.
  25. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

Just thought I'd post up who did some of my QC'd sprites:
    Darkrai & Cresselia - Nik S D
    Raikou - Legacy Raider
    Zorua - skymin_flower
    Tentacruel - Alchemator

Also, forgot to post that I QC'd Jolteon.

Finally, you misspelled Zoroark. +)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)