1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Amethyst -~- A Sprite Resource Project

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Sleet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Arch

Arch

Go check again. :D
  2. Nopie

Nopie

Glaceon looks fantastic, I think you may have finally cracked it. The only nitpick I have to make is with the furthest right leg which looks a little too bendy. Straighten it out a tad and it'll look much better.

Something still looks off with Gliscor's face. I know I'm no QC'er, but would you mind if I had a go at it?

And Arch, both your and Helix's Pikachus are well over 1'04" (33px) tall.
  3. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Nopie; take it, lol.

Rawr. :3
    [​IMG]
  4. reyscarface

reyscarface
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Tower Tycoondefeated the Smogon Frontier

I think its that his upper lip/ looks more "to the front" than the lower one, or maybe that the mandible is unparallel to the superior part, making it look like the mandible is behind the superior mouth part. At least thats the impression it gives me, but I think it looks excellent.
  5. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

reyscarface; the buck-teeth effect is present in all previous Gliscor sprites. DX

For kicks, I made it with its mouth closed:
    [​IMG]

rey; since lips are pretty undefined in Pokemon, setting the jaw back is essentially making the top front teeth more prominent looking.
  6. reyscarface

reyscarface
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Tower Tycoondefeated the Smogon Frontier

I know about the teeth, im talking about the mandible. Maybe with some shading it could look different, but im not sure, im no artist xD. But still, that Gliscor looks amazing, good job everyone who worked on it.
  7. Blackhawk11

Blackhawk11 one on one

I had a headache, so I decided to do a little spriting to get my mind off of it. Didn't work.
    Edit: just noticed I didn't get the entire beak colored. Apparently I couldn't tell I had some white left. Stupid eyes. I'll do that later, right now I'm on my iPod so I can't change it. Please critique it without that. [​IMG]

Also here's a slightly altered Bulbasaur which should be ready for QC.
    [​IMG]
  8. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

IMO I think its beak needs to be angled a bit more clockwise. Its beak doesn't seem to face in the same direction as its face, or it's just me.
  9. Nopie

Nopie

Here's what I've done with Gliscor. I fixed the position of its mouth and teeth, widened and darkened its pupils, and made the claw on the right larger to match the other one. Not to toot my own horn or whatever, but I think it looks much better this way. I've also done one with its mouth open and one with it closed. You can be the judge of which one is better. (Personally I prefer the closed mouth)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. Swaggersaurus

Swaggersaurus I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

that does look better - i think editing the (our) right fang to straighten it up made all the difference

i too prefer the closed mouth version

glaceon looks great too!
  11. Tayla

Tayla

Why'd you change Glaceon's expression. As in, made it goofy grin?
  12. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Because the :< frown was not working at all and is not in style for Pokemon-styled quadrupeds, particularly the Eeveelutions. The < is usually made by the anatomy of dogs and cats in the real world, but Pokemon seldom do that. It's not goofy; it's cute. :D

Sometimes, multiple views and thoughts are needed to make something work out. I was tiring of Gliscor and my creative process grew stale. <- That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. Good job. XD

But, just to humor you,
    [​IMG]
    without the "goofy grin." I like the grin better, but democracy prevails?
  13. Tayla

Tayla

Er.. ya. I liked the grin better too xD Can you maybe move the mouth up a pixel, though? It looks too far down to me. D:
  14. wickdaggler

wickdaggler

I like the grin better. I also like my version better, but whatever. That one looks fine to.
  15. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

16. Tayla

Tayla

That looks amazing :D Thanks Scepti ^^
  17. Nopie

Nopie

I want to get to work on redoing Arceus, but I need people's opinion's on what pose looks best. It's going to be either one of these two here. I've already scaled them to 160x160 so you can have an idea of what the finished sprite will look like. Keep in mind that Arceus is ten feet tall.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Let me know what you think.
  18. Skymin_Flower

Skymin_Flower It's Seed Flare time.

I actually liked the original, what happened to it?
  19. Nopie

Nopie

Not enough people liked it. I wasn't 100% happy with it either. Basically it was too chibi-style.
  20. Skymin_Flower

Skymin_Flower It's Seed Flare time.

Oh. I actually thought it looked great. In that case i prefer the steel typed one.
  21. Nopie

Nopie

That's the one I'm leaning towards as well as it's a similar pose to the first one but will be more correctly proportioned.

Also (this is mainly for Alch) I've had to re-host some of my images, so some of my previous ones won't work any more. Here they are again if you need them.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  22. wickdaggler

wickdaggler

Well, I'd go w/ the steel pose.
  23. Swaggersaurus

Swaggersaurus I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

the steel one looks like it'll just lead to a very similar sprite as the last one. is that just me? i also prefer the pose on the right
  24. Arch

Arch

I concur the, right one.
  25. wickdaggler

wickdaggler

Looseing... Insperation... must... keep... spriting...

I tried fixing up Latias to get the ball rolling. It's kind of rough, but this is a general idea of what I think it should look like.
    So, do you like this, or thebattleax's version better?
    [​IMG]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)