1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Amethyst -~- A Sprite Resource Project

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Sleet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Tayla

Tayla

I don't know how many times it's been said in this thread, or why Alch keeps ignoring it. The submitted Pikachu is too big. If only by a smidge. The one that was accepted looks (Sorry Arch) soul less and outdated anyway.

[​IMG] Idk, still not completely happy about the antennae..
  2. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I'm waiting for confirmation on that, as you seem to be acting out of spite at the moment Helix. I would think before answering this as well.

Update coming up.

EDIT:

For some reason my firefox has fucked up, displaying thousands more options on right click than usual. This mean I can't copy the locations of images and thus can't update :(

dw, I'm on it.
  3. DarthVader317

DarthVader317

According to Serebii Pikachu is 1'04''.

[​IMG]
  4. Tayla

Tayla

Why would I be acting out of spite? It's been said multiple times its size is too big. I don't really CARE if Arch's Pika is kept, what I care about is making everything look good and consistent. If that's spiteful then I guess I shouldn't give a rat's ass anymore. ;/

[​IMG] Courtesy of Marriland. It should only reach the knees, feasibly. Or atleast the thigh. But I think the waist is exaggerating Pika's height a little.
  5. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

[​IMG]
    Humdeela. Thickened the arm slightly and added a nostril, haha.

I also have this nifty coding in Java done that will count how many times your name appears on the gallery website, meaning we can count how many sprites you have published and how many you've QCed. ;D If anybody wants to have their data done up to see if it's still up to date with the gallery give me a shout (not that I doubt Alch's tallying in the least ^-^).
  6. Arch

Arch

Mmmmm, you should simply take my Pikachu off the list. It isn't good, that was one of my first sprites and it shows alot of inexpereice. I don't want that on the game anyways, it isn't Pikachu-ish.
  7. Blackhawk11

Blackhawk11 one on one

I'm gonna start at the very beginning to avoid randomly jumping into the middle with a bunch of terms that haven't been defined.

Alright. The easiest way to do this is to make up a hypothetical situation. Suppose Pokemon X is entirely color y. For simplicity's sake lets suppose Pokemon X is Xylo and color y is yellow. The basic format of Pokemon sprites is that each body color has three sub-colors. So, in our example, Xylo has three sub-shades of yellow. These are the base yellow, used where there is not a shadow nor direct light, bright yellow, used in places where direct light is present (top left corner usually), and dark yellow, used in places directly hidden from the light source. Outlines work the same way; each outline color has three sub-colors. In sprites with few colors, there is usually a different color outline for each main body color. In Xylo's case, it doesn't matter. So Xylo's outline color will be yellow, however, outlines have to be darker than the color they are outlining. In Pokemon sprites, each main body shade is assigned a (single) outline shade, depending on what is directly touching the outline. So, Xylo has dark yellow outline in places where there is bright yellow shading. Note that the lightest outline color is the same (in most cases) as the darkest shading/body color. Next, the base yellow shading/body is outlined by a darker yellow outline. Finally, the dark shading is outlined by black. In the end, Xylo has 4 shades of yellow, as well as black, composing his sprite.

That's the general idea. Your specific problem was you had multiple shades of outlines for each shade of the body. The outline should stay one color until you reach a point on the sprite where the body shading changes.

Editing even though you won't notice: Phirre: yeah outlines occasionally break the rules. Honestly, what doesn't? I find it easiest to just go with what I said. It's a lot simpler and you avoid anything looking extremely out of place.
  8. Tayla

Tayla

Thanks Arch, I didn't mean to sound mean or anything :/ So I'm sorry if I offended you or anything.
  9. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

10. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Sorry for my lack of activity guys, but I am still busy (and my free time went into FF13). However, after this week, I'll be expecting free time and I am currently in the process of working on a Registeel sprite. If time allows, I will do a pixel-over for Regigigas. I found a card image, and I would like opinions:

Regigigas
  11. ColdRAIN

ColdRAIN

12. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately, I'm going to have to go with the pic I found. The reason being is that mine emphasizes Regigiga's gargantuan size. I've attempted a Regigigas once with a standard pose, but it turned out in a failure. Same went with Groudon, but it turned out successful after doing a pixel-over of a "ginormous Groudon pic".
  13. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

danilyu, for your card, the Regigigas does look impressively large. However, when you scale the width down to 160, since it's larger horizontally by far, it will end up quite short in literal height, which I don't think the perspective will help much.

While not quite the perspective you love so much, I think it'll do a better job taking up space.

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  14. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

I am not sure about what you mean by "literal height", but here is a scaled-down pic of the card (image only) to 152x160 (too lazy to get it precisely to 160x160).

[​IMG]

IMO I think it's fine.
  15. phirre

phirre

Very appreciated Blackhawk. That makes sense, I was afraid that the way I was picking lines was deemed odd, which was confusing as I couldn't think of any other way to do that part of it.
    [​IMG]

Another go... Tiny. Tiny is harder. The Pokedex data says they're always falling down, so I thought the pose was cute at least.
    Show Hide
    Source:
    [​IMG]

I tried to follow those guidelines for the outlining. Though I did flip through a couple of official sprites, and several of them seem to maybe change more gradually than that. Have some Persian leg or Golduck arm? Safer just to follow your methods?

Show Hide

[​IMG]

Not trying to drag off topic though. Feel free to gag me.
  16. kiryu3000

kiryu3000

Glad to see new people joining in the project :) As for the Piplup, something about the face irks me a bit...I think it's because it's not perfectly round. Might just be me, but other than that, I don't see anything obviously wrong with it. If I may make a suggestion, would it be possible to re-pose the sprite to match the card's artwork but inverted sideways. If you don't want to, that cool.
  17. phirre

phirre

You think something like this would work better?

(super rough vague idea editing)

[​IMG]
  18. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

CLEEEEEEEEAR!!!!!!!

Okay, I am alive now. Sorry for being so dead guys. I've been addicted to Tatsunoko v Capcom and SoulSilver. And I've been working my arse off in the CAP 10 Art Submissions thread. But I am somewhat alive now, and am glad to say that I am going to DC next week. Why is this a good thing? The ride up there takes a whole 24 hours. What else am I going to do on the bus? +)

So yeah, expect to see more from me soon.

@phirre: The Piplup's butt is as flat as the ground. This is highly unnatural. Please fix it. +) Asides from that, give the bottom of the head a darker outline and tilt the chin down a bit. It looks like it's looking to far upwards. Make it's beak more rounded at the base. And finally, make the white areas on it's chest more distinct. Just my 2 dimes. +)
  19. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

[​IMG]

There are only so many things you can do with a symmetrical cocoon.

Iiiiiiit's pose choosing time!
    Show Hide

[​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  20. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

Go with the first one. It just looks the best, IMO.
  21. ColdRAIN

ColdRAIN

Yeah try the first one, the 2nd one is cool because Tyranitar is pulling a cool pose whilst being a bit fat :D
  22. pika

pika

Absol is just so damn cool that I think he needs his very own custom sprite, so even though I've never sprited in my life I want to make an Absol.

[​IMG]

Quick sketch of Absol's butt which I had to make up since nobody ever draws Absol's butt.

[​IMG]

edit: Oh well... here you go. I tried my best.
  23. wickdaggler

wickdaggler

I love it.
    Lemme just check that the size is correct, though.
  24. pika

pika

[​IMG]

I cheated a bit and didn't include the horn into the measurement of 3"11 (iirc). ^^; Is that allowed? I didn't want to do a really miniature Absol sprite because that would make Absol less AWESOME.

It's a goat with a beret! (which is cooler than a small goat with a small beret)

edit: CRAP. I just realised I made the body size 2"11 instead of 3"11. Oh well, if you include the horn, it's about right.... hopefully?
  25. pika

pika

double posts suck

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)