1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Amethyst -~- A Sprite Resource Project

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Sleet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. DjGopher

DjGopher

Hey sorry it's been so long, I'd come up with an excuse if I had one..
    But basically many of the pokemon I have are gone.. Pokemon hates washing machines..
    I have the pokemon I have rng'd but that's it.

So on another note..
    Slakings been done for quite a while now.. but never updated here D:
    [​IMG]

I also had done a snorlax a while back and it was never signed up for QC and I don't remember why.. So hopefully that will be cleared up :)
    [​IMG]

And Sloking line art :)
    [​IMG]
  2. Arch

Arch

I wanna see how you finish that slowpoke, looks promising.
  3. DjGopher

DjGopher

[​IMG]

Also..
    I'm a little confused. If you search Pokemon Amethyst Project you can find a similar project including 151 new pokemon..
    Is that.. this?
    :P

Edit:
    Just realized I forgot to finish redoing the neck shading. I'll get that done once you guys have me fixing something else :)
  4. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hi DjGopher!

Slaking - I think something's off on its head, and there might have been something about adding black outline, but I can't remember.

Snorlax - Size issues. I'm waiting for confirmation on it being the right size.
  5. Wichu

Wichu ACUPRESSURE
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Ha, no way :P I at least spelled 'Amethyst' right!
    I did have a thread on PokéCommunity for the game (separate from the sprite project), but it's now closed.

Snorlax needs more shading, especially on its feet. I'm not sure on the size (can anyone check?), but it would be tough to find a pose that makes it look bigger. I'd say the pose is fine (would animate well for an idle animation, too).
  6. DjGopher

DjGopher

I don't know what to do about snorlax's size..
    But shading will be worked on as well as the shading on sloking.
    Slaking, I don't really understand what you want me to fix..

And do you need people sprites?
    like.. Pkmn trainer/hiker/ ace trainer/ rocket grunt?

If so can I reserve some?
  7. Solstice

Solstice

I've been trying to remember to work on this, but before I continue I just want to make sure it's the right size, since last time mine was rejected.

[​IMG]
  8. DjGopher

DjGopher

I don't really like the race.. it seems.. flat
    But the rock-body is very cool :)

New:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. NikLink

NikLink

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hey guys I know I abandoned you and all but Xatu is still waiting to pass Quality Control. Also here are the male and female versions of Xatu, but are we supposed to include gender differences?
  10. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

Due to request, I call Zekrom. I would do Reshiram too, but currently my computer time is surprisingly limited by my brother. If I could start waking up EARLY again...

@Solstice: The Onix looks great from the tail up until the sixth or seventh rock. Then, it gets to the point where it is "Horizontally Challenged" as someone i knew used to say. Fix this stretching and it should look fine.
  11. Blackhawk11

Blackhawk11 one on one

Awhile ago Scepticalistic told me to use a different pose for ditto. here it is:
    [​IMG]

Comments/Criticism?
    Edit: Before anybody comments on the height, I purposely made it a bit big (~1.5 ft instead of 1.0 ft) because in this image Ditto appears to be stretching itself vertically.

Edit: ~Yadoking~: give it a shot! If you don't know how to sprite, I could send you a short guide :)
  12. Primal

Primal

Those SPRITES are AWESOME, they look like their for a Official Pokemon game.

I want to know how you sprite and how long does it take to make a sprite? Like what program<MSpaint? Photoshop? Paint.Net?> And within that program, what tools do you use? Also, are these done with a tablet or mouse? And the lineart alone, how much time is that?

Those sprites are just INSANE.
  13. ~Yadoking~

~Yadoking~

Can everybody participate in this?
    In that case I would like to give it a try.
  14. Arch

Arch

Go ahead, everyone's welcome.

Please contribute, it's not like we're getting any work lately anyways...
  15. wickdaggler

wickdaggler

Hey, I'm going to work on them!

eventually...

actually my computer had to get re-imaged, so I've lost all my sprites. But I still intend to finish what I've started...
  16. TVboyCanti

TVboyCanti

[​IMG]

Man, big sprites take a long time. Can somebody QC this?

I think I'll try Steelix next.
  17. DjGopher

DjGopher

Hate to disappoint you.. but that's reserved by arch.
    Check the reservation post next time..
    :(
    Will edit with sentret :)

Lineart
    [​IMG]
  18. Arch

Arch

Actually, I only reserved it because Canti hadn't been on this topic in months.
    I don't mind if Canti makes the Gyarados sprite.

But, I do think his body looks far too slim.
    The shading is really quite nice though.
  19. wickdaggler

wickdaggler

Yeah, Canti, it only took you like what, a year to finish that one sprite?

Yikes.
  20. TVboyCanti

TVboyCanti

Well, actually it was six months ago, I kind of lost interest in pixel art 6 months ago, mostly because that gyarados sprite was giving me spriters block. All I needed was a six month break and the pixels are flowing again.

I'll fix the body, I was trying to make the tail segments smallish so that it would look like they're far inthe background, but I see now that the neck gets too narrow to fast (this is because I made the line art for the head and the body separately).

And I'll start qcing again, I see a lot of shading fixes that need to be made.
  21. DjGopher

DjGopher

I see what you're going for, it looks like this is where the perspective is thrown off..
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about bad quality
    :)
  22. Blackhawk11

Blackhawk11 one on one

Worked on Machop. He is now exactly 1 pixel too tall. I hope that's ok...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    .............NEW..........................OLD

I feel the same way about Gyarados as everyone else who has commented. Head looks absolutely incredible, but then gets too thin in the midsections.
  23. DjGopher

DjGopher

I think machops right (our left) forearm is a little off, and his left (our right) shoulder is thinner than the rest of his arm.
    The eyes should be less bold in my opinion, and the ribs should be done with a lighter color.
    It's pretty good, I'm just picky :P
    I also think you should try and stick to the shape/sizing of the old head.. which is perfect as is. The new one looks.. creepy :P
  24. Blackhawk11

Blackhawk11 one on one

Thanks for the criticism :)
    Any specifics on how the left-side arm is "a little off?" I don't see anything obvious, but that may be because i was the one that made it haha. Also, head shape: the two are very similar in shape, the only difference is I majorly cut down the size of the plate things on top of his head. Was that what you were refering to? If it wasn't I'm not sure what you meant.

I'll edit this post with the corrections as well as a new sprite I'm working on: Bellsprout.
  25. DjGopher

DjGopher

Well I just meant the forearm sort of juts into the rest of the arm.. there's a line dividing them, that line should only go about half way in my opinion.
    I really like the head you did before, the new one looks like the same thing but vertically compressed..
    I think you should keep the old head, and perhaps make the body slightly smaller to comply with it's height..
    Or, if you shrink the head, which is fine.. You need to keep all the same proportions. :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)