Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 (DS, June in JP, Fall in EU/NA/AU) - Updated May 12th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Cheren is also supposed to be a new Gym Leader. And he might not have glasses.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Jesus, Brock and Giovanni? That's great.
Only Brock and Giovanni, I'm afraid. At the moment, they try to keep the Pokémon games neutral to religion. Though, it would have been an interesting twist...

Jokes aside, I can't decide whether the new Tornadus form is cleverly disguised or a blatant lack of creativity. Extra lumps on the wings do not hide the fact that this is a carbon copy of Articuno.

I think they could get away with it by saying it's another "fused" Pokémon or some other thing (like Kyurem absorbed the power of Reshiram/Zekrom). As long as they relate the new Tornadus to Articuno, saying that the two have something in common or that Tornadus try to resemble it or whatever, the extraordinarily poor design choice can be excused. If not, this clearly spits on both creativity and nostalgia.

Thinking of it, it would be cool if the three had somehow copied traits of previous legendaries. If Tornadus copies Articuno, what could the other two be?

Guys, just because it's blue and is a bird doesn't mean it's a carboncopy of articuno :/
Tornadus & Thundurus look awesome to me. While Landorus seems like a... Turkey?
GameFreak is being awesome as people hates the trio original designs.

haha oh how wrong I was thinking it was Articuno. I love Thundurus, his facial hair is even more fantastic..

Also, wow. A place where you can battle every previous gym leader? woooooooooooow. that's amazing.

With the information we currently have, we might have a Spiky-Eared Pichu-esque situation on our hands where the new Formes can't be used in battles or trades over WiFi.

Out of all the Pokemon that needed alternate forms... why these guys? They were already excellent battlers before, and when I finally embraced and loved their human designs, bam, they're different.

Ahh well, it'll take me a bit to swallow these forms like I did with the original Kami Trio. I just wonder what their stat difference is from the originals.

Aparrently, the new formes are only obtainable through 3DS AR searcher, or whatever.

And not just Brock and Giovanni:

Misty, Steven, Blue, Lance and Volkner as well. Probably more.

In this picture, it appears as though Tornadurus and Thundurus have breastplates. I wonder if the new Kami forms are going to be female instead of male.
My thoughts exactly. Tornadus and Thundurus both appear female because of it. Certainly the original formes were easily identifiable as male, i'm not sure if i can apply the same logic to the new formes though. It would be controversy that i don't think GF would apprciate having if there creations changed genders. I mean, you don't see any other forme changing pokemon do that, even Meloetta is clearly idenditifable as female based on the 'clothing' (is it clothing or part of her body which looks like human clothing? Eh, whatever).

While the old formes have the same plates, they weren't nearly as...large, relative to the size of the main body. The plates were more like scales, but in the new formes appear more like artificial armor. Especially with Tornadus, whose bird forme's large chest area worsens the problem. Obviously, that is biologically accurate to some bird species, so i assume that was an innocent oversight on GF's part. Thundurus can't use the same excuse, though, as a dragon's body is more often either thin (Gyarados-style, or Hydreigon's neck) or more massive around the stomach area than the chest (Dragonite, Salamence). I suppose Zekrom is the exception to this rule, but even then his (her? it?) torso and chest is small compared to his limbs to make it irrelevant.

I'm betting that GF just didn't notice the unfortunate consequences of that design. Only Tornadus really suffers (I swear, they really messed up by putting this guy with Pidove in the same game...i mean, pidove has a freaking heart on its chest which only makes the mind drift when it comes to Tornadus), Thundurus is not that noticeable. I'm still thinking they're male, if only because i would think that would be more realistic in both pokemon and human worlds (it would be really, really weird to have one genie male and another female at the same time, so let's not even go there).

I will say that Thundurus's design is asking for criticism though. The original form could be interpreted as scales on account of his 'plates' being much smaller than his chest, and also very flat (which, from strictly a biological design point of view is normally male). The new design has the 'plates' actually stretched outwards (you can see it in the magazine art, it's clearly not flat anymore), away from his body, which given the humanoid nature of the design is asking for people to misinterpret.

Either way, a dragon with priority Thunder Wave, access to Hurricane and the ability to use priority Taunt? Yes please. :)

*waits for the inevitable fanrage over the dominance of rain/sand/whatever*

I like the idea of the new Kami trio formes being (as far as we know) 3DS exclusive, at the very least it provides a benefit of buying the 3DS.

^Except that Smogon will still use Pokemon Online/Showdown/other simulator. ;)

Still, it should helps sales...though if you buy a 3DS just for 3 pokemon, then you have way too much spare cash.

It's entirely possible they are female forms, since the kami trio's original forms are 100% male. They do look more feminine, especially Tornadus. I guess we'll find out soon.

Always when i'm gone,even for just a day, new information is released and i have to scroll through two whole new pages of info and speculation. Damn it!

Anyway, I personally don't see a reason for creating these forms.. Firstly, like someone else already said, the three genies were already strong enough in their original formes. True, GF doesn't particularly care about competitive pokemon when it creates games, but still, it seems kinda weird to me. Also, wasn't there already enough dramatical storyline/fusions/alterations and all that for BW2?
Also this whole gymleader/previous games characters thing... I admit, it's a very exciting speculation and I would surely hope it's true, but somehow it just doesn't feel like pokemon... It seems like too much for one game. Boh, maybe there will be a dramatical change in EVERYTHING when gen. VI will be released, and they want to pump everything they can of the previous type of pokemon in this game... But that just seems ridiculous and too farfetch'd to me.

We'll see

The only real reason I can see for the new formes is if they have certain plot significance, but that seems a bit unlikely..

Also, although its too soon to speak, but they really are putting a lot of stuff into these games...it really makes me think we won't be getting the hoenn remakes.

The only real reason I can see for the new formes is if they have certain plot significance, but that seems a bit unlikely..

Also, although its too soon to speak, but they really are putting a lot of stuff into these games...it really makes me think we won't be getting the hoenn remakes.
Loads of content in BW2 =/= no Hoenn remakes.

Especially since none of the loads of content is heavily Hoenn-related (aside from the unconfirmed Steven Stone bit).

This logic doesn't make much sense. The only effect this should have is the fans (us) expecting more of the next installments, but of course Game Freak will strip away most extra features and retain the same skeleton for next gen until the follow-ups arrive. One step forward, two steps back. That's seemingly Game Freak's motto, and it works well. They really don't have to innovate much to surprise us anymore lol.

Also, what the hell are you guys talking about "purpose" for? These are Pokemon, yes, they are creations, but they don't have to exist for any reason in particular. Some forms have purpose (Giratina), others do not (Shaymin - please don't tell me a movie is a purpose for a game developer to create it). We don't know anything yet, so it could fall under either category. Either way, I wasn't complaining about Shaymin's form (flinchhax aside). Perhaps, like Shaymin-S, these forms introduce new mechanics for form change.

They sure took some artistic liberties with whatever it is...

Then again it is a shadow. Once we see the full thing everyone will be like ":justin2: it was so obviously _____!"
I was wrong. It was so obviously not what anyone on this planet expected.

What an interesting turn of events. I hope these forms don't look as ugly as Kyurem's new forms.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I like the "the new formes are just females" theory. It would make for the most distinct gender differences ever (not to mention some really, really creepy Rule 34), but it sort of makes sense. It would not excuse Thundurus' striking similarity to Articuno, of course, but it would provide a believable "backstory".

Concerning the old gym leader rebattles... the thought just struck me: Version exclusive rematches. For instance, Misty, Falkner and Wattson & al. in White 2; Brock, Bugsy, Brawly and others in Black 2. GameFreak are prone to pull pranks like that on us.

Wonder what more stuff CoroCoro will have to show us. This thread might have grown by several pages when I check it again tomorrow morning.

I like the "the new formes are just females" theory. It would make for the most distinct gender differences ever (not to mention some really, really creepy Rule 34), but it sort of makes sense. It would not excuse Thundurus' striking similarity to Articuno, of course, but it would provide a believable "backstory".

Concerning the old gym leader rebattles... the thought just struck me: Version exclusive rematches. For instance, Misty, Falkner and Wattson & al. in White 2; Brock, Bugsy, Brawly and others in Black 2. GameFreak are prone to pull pranks like that on us.

Wonder what more stuff CoroCoro will have to show us. This thread might have grown by several pages when I check it again tomorrow morning.
From what is known so far they never said we were battling old gym leaders. All that's known so far is a building with old gym leaders. Which may imply battling true, but it also could be for something else entirely.

Edit: Exact wording, from serebii, states "The leaker also mentioned that there's a facility where various other leaders from the past games appear including Lance, Volkner, Blue, Misty & Steven. Like before, this stuff has yet to be officially confirmed".
So appearance may mean battle but who knows eh? And who knows it may be wrong. If true though I really am hoping for Red. Plus maybe some other passt strong trainers with really powerful pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)