Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 - Mark 2 ** Spoilers **

So I need a little help here guys, I want to make a team for Black 2 (this is gonna be my first playthrough of the game) and want a team that will be fun, yet challenging. I do not want to steam roll through the game like i did in White 1 using a lot of upper tier pokemon.

My questions for you guys are:

-What are some good types to use on a team in this game? Bad Types?

-My starter is going to be Tepig, I've decided that I'm going to also use Mandibuzz, Drilbur, either Frillish or Starmie, and either Yanmask or Gothita

- Should I use Frillish or Starmie?
- Yanmask or Gothita

Again I'm not looking for an overpowered team here just something I can have fun playing with

The team in progress so far

-Tepig
-Mandibuzz
-Gothita/Yanmask
-Frillish/Starmie
-Petilil
-Drilbur

So I need a little help here guys, I want to make a team for Black 2 (this is gonna be my first playthrough of the game) and want a team that will be fun, yet challenging. I do not want to steam roll through the game like i did in White 1 using a lot of upper tier pokemon.

My questions for you guys are:

-What are some good types to use on a team in this game? Bad Types?

-My starter is going to be Tepig, I've decided that I'm going to also use Mandibuzz, Drilbur, either Frillish or Starmie, and either Yanmask or Gothita

- Should I use Frillish or Starmie?
- Yanmask or Gothita

Again I'm not looking for an overpowered team here just something I can have fun playing with

The team in progress so far

-Tepig
-Mandibuzz
-Gothita/Yanmask
-Frillish/Starmie
-Petilil
-Drilbur
This is a decent team imo although I think Tepig/Petilil/Drilbur is going to beat most of the guys anyway

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You probably dont want 2 ghosts, it's gotta be one or the other. Seeings how Tepig will become a fighting type, if you use the gift Zorua, I find it really fun absorbing Psychic attacks with Illusion. But that might just be me

I am currently using Maractus and its alright. You can grind it all day and night against that breeder on Route 4 due to both of her pokemon being weak against grass. It is great mixed as using just for special is not the way to go given its baron movepool.

Here's the team in progress

-Tepig
-Mandibuzz
-Gothita/Yanmask
-Frillish/Starmie
-Petilil
-Drilbur

should I use Gothita and Frillish or Yanmask and Starmie

Here's the team in progress

-Tepig
-Mandibuzz
-Gothita/Yanmask
-Frillish/Starmie
-Petilil
-Drilbur

should I use Gothita and Frillish or Yanmask and Starmie
Personally, I'd use Gothita and Frillish, but that's because your team looks like it needs something to take hits in case you run into something on a rampage. Frillish > Yamask becasue Frillish can actually hit back. That was my thought process.

Yamask will actually hit back harder once it evolves (which it does sooner). Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Psychic is decent enough coverage, and Will-O-Wisp can't be bad if you need support with the game's physical threats.

Emolga is nothing but low. If you are playing white two, electabuzz outclasses it completely. In black 2, there's still mareep, who gives emolga a run for it's money with it's higher defences and special attack. Emolga is rare and has mediocre stats across the board, so it really isn't worth it.
You can trade an Emolga for a Gigaliath.
Though this shouldn't affect its rating either way, It's a wonder why you wouldn't just trade it in.

Yamask will actually hit back harder once it evolves (which it does sooner). Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Psychic is decent enough coverage, and Will-O-Wisp can't be bad if you need support with the game's physical threats.
Still, Yamask evolves at level 34 which requires some babying. Frillish requires more exp, but it's doing something until it evolves, so you don't need to baby it as much.

Still, Yamask evolves at level 34 which requires some babying. Frillish requires more exp, but it's doing something until it evolves, so you don't need to baby it as much.
That's true, but Frillish actually come at a fairly low level later in the game than Yamask. While neither are the best in-game, that's something to consider. Additionally, you could catch a Jellicent with a terrible nature in Undella Town at a decent level.

Training up Cofagrigus (and Frillish too, I guess) is pretty easy-- make it hold a Lucky Egg and battle against lots of Sawks or Throhs. Neither of the two have any moves that can hit the two Ghosts, so it's easy picking for them to kill for good experience. Although I do agree that they are E tier mons, it's fun to have a challenge.

Also, in my experience, I never needed coverage moves outside of Shadow Ball. Disable is invaluable for mons that only have one move to hit you (read: Marshal), and Toxic and WoW are self-explanatory.

Thanks for all the feedback on the Frillish/Yanmask decision, I'll definitley give Yanmask a try next playthrough

As of right now though my team is

-Samurott
-Conkeldurr
-Sigilyph
-Cincinno (however its spelled)
-Magnezone
-Volcarona

I gotta say I'm enjoying it quite alot, especially since its the first time that im playing thru B2W2

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally I would go with Magby over Yanmask (only because Growlithe is exclusive to White 2) as your fire type. I don't remember if the Magmarizer is available before the E4 though. Also I would go with Accelgor (Karrablast) over Escavelier. Remember you'll need to trade it with a Shelmet to evolve

Personally I would go with Magby over Yanmask (only because Growlithe is exclusive to White 2) as your fire type. I don't remember if the Magmarizer is available before the E4 though. Also I would go with Accelgor (Karrablast) over Escavelier. Remember you'll need to trade it with a Shelmet to evolve
Yeah I have access to the trade, and can you tell me why you would go Magby > Yanmask and Why Accelgor > Escavelier?

By the way Karrablast evolves into Escavelier and Growlithe is not exclusive to White 2

Trust me, Excavalier is soooo useful in many fights. You get good moves like Iron Head, X-Scissor, and False Swipe really early, it's weakness is almost never exploited in-game, and it can beat half if the E4 by typing alone.

Yeah I have access to the trade, and can you tell me why you would go Magby > Yanmask and Why Accelgor > Escavelier?

By the way Karrablast evolves into Escavelier and Growlithe is not exclusive to White 2
Probably because Yamask only learns Will-o-Wisp as a fire move. Though Fire is kinda trivial unless you plunk a Darm or something in your team. Magby itself is kinda meh until it evolves, iirc.

After much thought I decided on a final team to start my run through Black 2

Magnemite - > Magnezone
Timburr - > Conkeldurr
Yamask - > Cofagrigus
Panpour - > Simipour
Karrablast - > Escavalier
Axew - > Haxorus

I feel like it appears to be an elite team when fully evolved yet not overpowered in game, and it has a lot of my favorites

Any thoughts on not using a starter pokemon in a playthrough? This is the first time I'm doing it and I'm wondering if anyone else does it too

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How come nobody manage to spell the names correctly? Escavalier, Yamask, Cofagrigus... it's not that hard, people...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)