Pokémon Black and White - Ingame Discussion

Two weeks of on and off soft resetting for a Hasty Reshiram in Black when I wasn't playing White instead, and usually I kept getting either mediocrities like 22/14/5/21/16/31 or IVs-in-the-wrong-stats like 11/7/26/17/24/31 or royal teases like 29/5/29/30/25/30 that defeat the purpose of being Hasty since it can't use its Attack stat or max its Speed.

But just today I got this: 17/4/30/31/22/31, Timid. Well, alright then. That wasn't quite what my Synchronizer wanted and it can't use Outrage or Dragon Claw, but okay, I think I can work with this. :P

Could any give a detailed opinion of Tsutaja? There's so many mixed opinions flying about, and I keep debating on whether or not to use him. Some say he's simply terrible, some say he's been making the game very easy, while some others say he's mainly useful in long battles, such as against Geechisu. It's hard to assume what he's like for someone who has not yet played the game. Base 75 attacking stats seem terrible, but he appears to be some sort of annoyer - Jumpluff style, I suppose. Or perhaps it depends on the kind of team he's in. Any opinions?
In White I used Jaroda, Zeburaika, Doredia, Chillachino, Doryuuzu and Burunkeru. In Black I used Daikenki, Warubiaru, Desukan, Mebukijika, Nattorei, and Baffuron.

Out of all of them, Doredia's the champion and I think I'd give Chillachino the silver medal, but Jaroda was probably in third. I just find that when most of in-game is such a gauntlet fight against wimps that try to overwhelm by getting in tiny bits of damage here and there, it pays to be fast so I can beat them to the punch, to be durable and shrug off attacks when enemies do get them in (i.e. Sturdy Rock Pokemon always getting off one attack), and to have recovery moves or draining moves so I can heal up without constantly going into the item menu or running back to town or a local field medic. Jaroda does all of that, so I liked using it. Slow and bulky things like Burunkeru and Desukan get worn down in time when they have to take twenty hits and can't EV train, but Jaroda just keeps going.

As for gym leaders and the Elite Four and such... Recovery moves aren't as important there because they hit too hard, but since trainers spam healing items and are strong enough to knock out strong-and-slow attackers before they can attack, I just want to knock stuff out in one hit. Since it's hard to actually optimize EVs with an in-game team and there's no Life Orbs and such around, setup is my favorite method. Most of the gym leaders were pretty easy anyway, though, so it's mainly the Elite Four where Jaroda can pay off.

All in all, Leaf Blade/Giga Drain/Strength/Coil served me well. I probably could have used Growth just as easily, but I did like the Defense boost. All in all, though, what I liked is that throughout the game I could always rely on Jaroda to stay in and get in at least three hits even when it was at a disadvantage.

Thanks Jiggy, that helped a lot. Seems like he's a lot better than some people make him out to be.

One thing though, what exactly is the change in Growth this generation? Does it give a +1 or +2 boosts to both attacking stats now? Sorry if I sound off-topic.

Thanks Jiggy, that helped a lot. Seems like he's a lot better than some people make him out to be.

One thing though, what exactly is the change in Growth this generation? Does it give a +1 or +2 boosts to both attacking stats now? Sorry if I sound off-topic.
+1 atk +1spatk normally, and +2,+2 in sun.

Does anyone in this thread want to discuss in-game random Wifi battles? Since this thread is about in-game playthroughs it seemed like the best candidate for this topic.

The metagame for that is considerably different than a lot of the stuff being discussed in threads due to the nature of showing 6 and picking 3. Also, some stuff is just stronger when you're only using three team members because the opponent only has 12 move slots to work with to find a counter to what you are doing. Furthermore, the "tiers" are already set in stone as far as what is considered banned and what is allowed. Finally, there are things to consider like item clause, no sleep clause, etc. that also alter the way that you construct a team.

Maybe there should be a thread about competitive random wifi matches?

Ok.

I was looking through some in-game music and I came upon this very, very freaky coincidence thing going on.
@BeautyMilotic Also, look at previous Elite Fours of these types

Ghost: Agatha (3rd) and Phoebe (2nd)

3 + 2 = 5

Dark: Karen (4th) and Sidney (1st)

4 + 1 = 5

Psychic: Will (1st) and Lucian (4th)

1 + 4 = 5

Fighting: Bruno (2nd) and Bruno again (3rd)

2 + 3 = 5

They really went all out with this FIFTH Generation thing.

Also this comment on the Route 10 music:

Mind Blowing trivia time!**

In pokemon games generation 1 and three on route 10, A picnicker mentions that she wants a pink pokemon with floral patterns. In Pokemon Black&White, there is a pokemon that fits that very decription. It has no official engligh name, but its current Japanese name is "munna"

Ok.

I was looking through some in-game music and I came upon this very, very freaky coincidence thing going on.
@BeautyMilotic Also, look at previous Elite Fours of these types

Ghost: Agatha (3rd) and Phoebe (2nd)

3 + 2 = 5

Dark: Karen (4th) and Sidney (1st)

4 + 1 = 5

Psychic: Will (1st) and Lucian (4th)

1 + 4 = 5

Fighting: Bruno (2nd) and Bruno again (3rd)

2 + 3 = 5

They really went all out with this FIFTH Generation thing.

In pokemon games generation 1 and three on route 10, A picnicker mentions that she wants a pink pokemon with floral patterns. In Pokemon Black&White, there is a pokemon that fits that very decription. It has no official engligh name, but its current Japanese name is "munna"

That's pretty weird, now that you mention it.

Am I the only one that finds the post-game lacking? There's finding the Sages, catching Legendaries, getting to Black City/White Forest, and rematching the E4, but it doesn't seem to be that much compared to Platinum. It had the whole Stark Mountain sidequest, cathcing legendaries, Battle Frontier, Gym Leader rematches AND E4 remathces, the whole Underground thing. I was expecting more from BWs post-game, but for all we know, GF is probably leaving random crap out of the game for the third version.

Eh, at least we can fight Cynthia.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The post-game is always lacking in the first games of a new gen. You don't get expansive areas until the third game of a trio.

I found this image somewhere on the internet.

Also, is it true that Hihidaruma outclasses both Emboar and Baokki? I've been planning to SR for a shiny pokabu starter to start another journey with because I find its final evolution's shiny the nicest of all 3, but was thinking if I should just go for one of the other two instead and catch a Darumakka, then just breed for a shiny pokabu.

Hihidaruma ohko's anything that doesn't resist flare blitz AND does not have sky-high defense - I think it is fairly certain that he outclasses the fire monkey, and considering how he has way higher att than Emboar as well as a higher speed, hihi is probably the #1 fire-type ingame, at least imo.

There have been some interesting changes for the in-game experience that have made it fun. Here's just a few...

1. The beginning isn't long and boring like it's been in the past. This gen, it's like here's all your pokemon, here's your stuff, get started.

2. TM's are indefinite. This is the greatest change because it allows me to not have to hoard them for competitive stuff I make post-game.

3. Team Plasma and that storyline is a lot more interesting than the other stuff they've done in the past.

My team right now is Grass Starter/Water Monkey/Electric Zebra/Naigeki/that huge fire dude from route 4 and whatever HM Mule I happen to need to explore. I've found it pretty easy to grind and train up levels to stay at least on par of the gym leaders, so that's been pretty good. The only battle I really struggled with was the bug gym because I didn't really care for the flying stuff early in the game.

Overall, I'm a little displeased with B/W. Obviously I enjoyed it because it's a new Pokemon game, I just feel they could have done a lot better and left out some stuff that fans really liked.

Things I like about B/W:

- Reusable TMs. They've needed to do this for a long time.
- Animated sprites
- Faster battles
- New Pokemon
- The story line was better than most of the games, and they did have some nice cut scenes.

Things I hope they add/change in the remake:

- A better UI; HG/SS had the best UI.
- Having your Pokemon follow you. That was by far one of my favorite features.
- Different environments. The whole game seemed kind of stale in terms of changing appearance, most of it is just boring looking towns/cities.
- Remove trade-evolutions and trade-evolution items.
- Reduce the wild Pokemon encounter rate.

I also really hate IVs, it just makes everything so unnecessarily tedious when trying to get a Pokemon you can use in battle and not have a disadvantage against people who unfairly manipulate the game through Pokesav or whatever. It seems kind of messed up when you can't have a fair match against someone in competitive battle unless you spend days on end trying to get the right IVs and nature, since there are people that could just do it in seconds by cheating.

The only true purpose I see for IVs is for speed, since you can lower it if you want a stronger Gyro Ball, or if you want to use a Trick Room team or something. Still, it's kind of stupid.

Overall, I'm a little displeased with B/W. Obviously I enjoyed it because it's a new Pokemon game, I just feel they could have done a lot better and left out some stuff that fans really liked.

Things I like about B/W:

- Reusable TMs. They've needed to do this for a long time.
- Animated sprites
- Faster battles
- New Pokemon
- The story line was better than most of the games, and they did have some nice cut scenes.

Things I hope they add/change in the remake:

- A better UI; HG/SS had the best UI.
- Having your Pokemon follow you. That was by far one of my favorite features.
- Different environments. The whole game seemed kind of stale in terms of changing appearance, most of it is just boring looking towns/cities.
- Remove trade-evolutions and trade-evolution items.
- Reduce the wild Pokemon encounter rate.

I also really hate IVs, it just makes everything so unnecessarily tedious when trying to get a Pokemon you can use in battle and not have a disadvantage against people who unfairly manipulate the game through Pokesav or whatever. It seems kind of messed up when you can't have a fair match against someone in competitive battle unless you spend days on end trying to get the right IVs and nature, since there are people that could just do it in seconds by cheating.

The only true purpose I see for IVs is for speed, since you can lower it if you want a stronger Gyro Ball, or if you want to use a Trick Room team or something. Still, it's kind of stupid.
Why would you bump this? There's already an active thread on this..

Just picking this out, but I highly doubt they will ever get rid of IVs, since it goes with the whole "every pokemon is unique" deal that GF likes to promote. They may overhaul the system like they did from Gen 2 to Gen 3, but I'm pretty sure they'll stick around.

It isn't really an issue anyway with RNG and such, IMO.

Hey im new and only came to Smogon to look at all the different pokemon like 'Uber' tiers and what best moves,Nature, Ev's Etc...

However i have noticed they don't include the new Black/White Pokemon? Can someone tell me why and are they going to make one for like adding the full analyze to that game like they did for the others?

Since the quality control of the process is so high, the analyses are still being worked on. You can find them in the Contributions & Corrections section of the forum's main page, under the Fifth Generation heading. There's a handy analysis index in each tier's sub-forum.
Actually, I'm quite sure its because they want all the relevant analyses to be done first(the guys in OU and UU, mostly). While you aren't going to see an analysis for shit like Unown soon, the more important guys will be coming up soon.

Just wait.

Sorry to bump this, but I (finally) was able to trade for a Thunderus for my Black version, but even if I have both Thundurus and Tornadus in my party, that friggin' Landorus won't show up at the Abundant Shrine. A while ago, I traded the Tornadus I caught for another one on the GTS. What did I do wrong?

Sorry to bump this, but I (finally) was able to trade for a Thunderus for my Black version, but even if I have both Thundurus and Tornadus in my party, that friggin' Landorus won't show up at the Abundant Shrine. A while ago, I traded the Tornadus I caught for another one on the GTS. What did I do wrong?
Tornadus needs to have your OT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)