Pokémon Black and White - Ingame Discussion

Almost 6:00 hours in, hunting grunts in the forest.

Code:
Pokemon      Lv. Nature   HP  Atk Def SpA SpD Spe
Futsude      16  Quirky   40  22  27  18  20  27 
Musharna     20  Docile   76  28  44  52  49  23
Futachimaru  21  Modest   67  36  34  44  35  35
Haderia      20  Serious  56  39  36  23  33  30
The 'Wotter' family line has made the beginning pretty easy thus far, even with a fair amount of Grass Pokemon in the beginning. To my surprise, Futachimaru also learns Grass Knot, and Haderia learns 'Cheer Up'.

Question: Has anyone been able to evolve Munna? I'm wondering if it's happiness, or Moon Stone.. or a really high level. It's been incredibly useful so far, with its bulk, instant recovery, and sleep moves.

Futsude is new on my team, but I really enjoy the bug's design and for a beginning Poison/Bug type, it's not horrible.

I inadvertently downloaded the Liberty Ticket before I even started a file. Go me. I guess my Fire type is Victini then.

Has anyone seen the Pokeball mushroom yet? I expect it'll be trollier than Voltorb were in the past 4 Generations, what with Effect Spore completely shutting down your team with random paralysis, sleep, and God forbid, POISON.

where on the status screen is the nature displayed? i'm not very familiar with katakana so i can't tell where it is

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
where on the status screen is the nature displayed? i'm not very familiar with katakana so i can't tell where it is
It's at the top left, in blue writing.

I have a Timid Mijumaru, a Calm Yoterii, a Docile Minezumi and a Jolly Choroneko.

I'd just like to say that im currently only using three pokes and destroying everything:

lvl. 17 Chaobu- Nitro Charge is indeed is saving grace in alot of fights.

lv. 16 Yanappu- With cheer Up, a +2 Vine Whip(I believe that's vine whip. Alteast it sounds like a whip o.0) almost OHKO's so many pokes.

lv. 9 Minizumi aka Angry squirrel aka Bidoof 2.0- He has cut....xD

Almost to the third city, and I picked up a TM while in that cave. I think it might be dig, but im not sure. I think the number for it was 46. Haven't given it to anybody yet though.

Nvm, it's not dig, but I sure as hell don't know what it is.

Has anyone seen the Pokeball mushroom yet? I expect it'll be trollier than Voltorb were in the past 4 Generations, what with Effect Spore completely shutting down your team with random paralysis, sleep, and God forbid, POISON.
It gets spore which should be rather annoying.

Almost to the third city, and I picked up a TM while in that cave. I think it might be dig, but im not sure. I think the number for it was 46. Haven't given it to anybody yet though.

Nvm, it's not dig, but I sure as hell don't know what it is.
TM46 is Thief.

I just beat Aloe. It was relatively easy with Dageki spamming Double Kick on her normal-types, but Miruhoggu was a pain in the ass because it kept using Hypnosis or something and putting everything to sleep. Luckily I had an Awakening I bought earlier. Oh, and my team right now is:

Lv. 17 Dageki (Modest wtf)
Lv. 19 Dangoro
Lv. 19 Janobii
Lv. 15 Tabunne
Lv. 13 Hiyappu
Lv. 8 Shimama

Your right, it is thief. In fact, I had forgotten that move existed o.0

I personally can't wait to get to Aloe. My pig will just rip her to shreds.

Just got the C gear and beat cheren. My Team:

Code:
Pokemon Lv. Nature HP Atk Def SpA SpD Spe
Astra(Boappu) 13 Lax 37 21 19 21 8 23 
Woter(Mijumaru) 14 Naughty 43 25 19 25 17 19
Katya(Choroneko) 10 Gentle 30 15 13 17 14 18
I originally stopped training choro because I though it didn't get stab until 75 lol. Not sure If I want to retrain it.

I also have a minezumi for cutting.

I have a munna, not sure If I want to train it. Is it good?

Munna gets alot of sleep inducing effects. It has some bulk to it as well, but that's about it. It isn't bad though, but isn't great either.

I personally skipped Choro, and would have taken the rat terrier over it, but instead, I only have my HM tool-Bidoof 2.0, my godlike monkey so far, and the good old fire pig with Nitro charge.

Minezumi has the clubhouse lead for best disabler early-game - by L22 it learns Hypnosis, Crunch and Super Fang.

About to go into the first cave: Smugleaf L16, Minezumi/water monkey L15, electric-zebra L12

hey not sure what thread this belongs in but it seemed best put here...
HIHIDARUM VS. SHANDERAA
(In-game) Basically if you're not picking the fire starter, you're gonna want one of these two. But the question is, which one? Hihidarum you get earlier, but its offensive stats are a bit lower and its defenses will make it an easy kill throughout the game. Shanderaa may not be able to reach Hihidarum's speed but its typing lets it have more options, not to mention that we probably won't find it until toward the end of the game. So what's your opinion?

the construction worker guy with the piece of wood rules. you can get him at the patches of grass near aloe's town. level him up to 18 and it helps alot

to the above guy, just pick hihidaruma. its much earlier in the game so just go with it

Sooo, my 2nd gym experience was epic as hell:

For one thing, I knew I had the obvious advantage: I had the godlike damn fire-pig (not pokabu! It's first evo >:) ). As I tore through the trainers, and demolished the gyms sad excuse for a puzzle, I made my way down the secret staircase that had been so cleverly hidden(no seriously! I though the walls in the back were going to open instead xP). Making my way down the stairs I had checked my firepig several times. I realized that he was LITTERLY my only option in this gym since:

1. My Nana (grass monkey) wasn't strong enough at the time, albiet, being only lvl.16. It was carrying a miracle seed I happened to stumple across, but that alone wouldn't have boosted it's stats enough to get 2 cheer ups, and hopefully plow through her team.

2. My angry squirrel as I call him is only lvl 9, and is essentially HM fodder xP.

So, it was all up to my flaming lambchop. After she finishes her little speech the battle starts, and I instantly feel like I may get slaughter'd.

It's my Chaobuu vs. her Haderia first. I knew from the little experience with one of the trainers above that this thing wouldn't be taking much damage from my pig's Arm Thrust, and It may very well be faster then me as well. So in order to make sure sweeping her team was easier, I instinctively Nitro Charged. Coincidently, my pig was actually faster then it! Although I was overjoyed, I was still afraid of her last pokemon's possible speed. Her Haderia had taken a hefty amount of damage from the Nitro charge, and didn't seem to be doing anything. That confused me a bit, but I continued with another charge.

It connects, and her life bar drops into the lower yellows, smiggits away from danger of fainting. Even after the last charge though, her Haderia simply stood there (and I'm still not sure why o.0). I finish it with an Arm Thrust; ending both my confusion, and her retarded AI actions. It was then my pig versus Mr. Miyagi as I like to call Miruhoggu. I was pretty confident in my pigs speed at this point, so, I went for the arm thrust. Almost as if though the hits were my beating heart, I awaited every hit impatiently. I only obtained two hits, which sucked, but it's HP could concur with me. Those two hits immediately placed it into the yellow, but wouldn't K.O with out three. That's win she unleashed a MONSTEROUS attack. I literally saw my pigs HP cut to the same as Mr. Miyagi's, and I could only think, "Damn!? Really?! Endeavor much!?".

It was at this point that my pig needed those three hits more then anything. I was hesitant at first, but confident that I could get three. I had a feeling my pig would have too if it had feelings :(.

The first? Success.
The Second? Success.
But no third...

"Wait a minute", I thought. Because I was so afraid that the third hit hadn't came I had failed to realize that my pig had crit the poor things face off on the second hit. Oh boy was i happy! With out that crit, im pretty sure I would have been screwed seeing as how I had a dangerously sick feeling about her Miyagi.

After all that, I officially named my pig Honda, in reference to E. Honda from Street Fighter for his amazing display of "Dem Hands".

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Eh....

I'm trying to get into the third Gym, but this guy never lets me pass, he just sits there and doesn't let me go more than 5 steps into the Gym.

Help? T.T

I taught HM01 (Cut) to Tsutaaja. The strange woman's name is Makomo (マコモ), so I will refer to her as that from now on.

Yume no Atochi (夢の跡地)

With Cut in hand, I'm able to remove the obstructive sapling in this map. Beru follows after me, but does not want to battle. Upon walking past an opening in a wall, I see Munna (ムンナ), and am immediately accosted by 2 members of Team Plasma (プラズマ団). After defeating both of them (first has a level 10 Minezumi; second has a level 10 Choroneko), 3 apparitions of who seems to be their leader, Geechisu (ゲーチス) appear and convince the grunts to leave. Afterwards, Mushaana (ムシャーナ) appears and it and Munna leave the screen. I head over to the left, and I notice that there is a patch of grass that's wiggling. I guess correctly that this is a fixed wild encounter, yielding a wild Tabunne (タブンネ) between levels 8 and 11 each time. Judging by its stats on Serebii, I'm fairly impressed by its bulk this early in the game, but I'm also a little disappointed that its only damaging attack is the rather unreliable Doubleslap. Whatever the case, I immediately teach it TM86 (Cheer Up) and delete Helping Hand. The rest of Yume no Atochi contains some token items, and there is a section to the east that's blocked off with a cone. Naturally, I head back to Sanyou City, but in order to get past the gatekeeper in the west, I have to stop by Makomo's house and get the C-GEAR.

Route 3 (3番道路)

A daycare this early in the game is surprising, to say the least. The daycare still gives EXP to Pokemon - I tested this out by depositing Tsutaaja and then running around outside before withdrawing him at level 7. Now, this obviously doesn't solve all of the problems inherent in not gaining EXP from Pokemon battles, because my Pokemon still won't gain any EVs and can't evolve by level up in the daycare. That said, to prevent possible abuse, I'm going to prohibit use of the daycare altogether. Not a whole lot happens in the first half of the route, aside from my first double battle against 2 Choronekos. Easy fight - Tabunne is 11HKO'd by their Scratch and OHKOs on average with +1 Atk and Doubleslap.

About midway through, Cheren stops me and challenges me to a battle. He leads with a level 14 Pokabu, quickly dispatched by Hiyappu (6HKO'd by Ember, 3HKOs with Water Gun). His second Pokemon is a level 12 Choroneko, which frustratingly kept using Growl to nullify my Atk boost from Cheer Up, but also couldn't really muster any sort of offense, so it was just a matter of time before Tabunne beat it down with Doubleslap. After the battle, a couple of Plasma grunts run past, with Beru and a little girl in pursuit. From what I can tell, they've stolen the girl's Pokemon... and Cheren impulsively gives chase. Meaning that I should follow him. He waits at the entrance of a cave at the west end of the route and will go in upon being spoken to.

Chikasuimyaku no Ana (地下水脈の穴)

Immediately inside is Cheren confronting 2 Plasma grunts. Only one of them challenges me to a battle; he has a level 12 Minezumi. Another pair of Plasma grunts reinforce after the battle; they challenge me to a partner battle with Cheren. Both of them have level 12 Minezumis. I take advantage of Growl's double targeting effect and let Pokabu do most of the work. Prior to exiting the cave, I grab TM46 (Thief) before heading back on my way through Route 3. The entire time that I was in the cave, I did not see a single wild Pokemon, but their levels are a bit too low here for them to be useful, anyway.

Route 3 (3番道路)

Beru and the girl stop me before I can take the southern path, showing their gratitude and giving me a Heal Ball. Cheren stops me (again?) and remarks that sometimes in the dark grass, you'll encounter random double battles against wild Pokemon.

Shippou City (シッポウシティ)

Cheren is there waiting by the gatehouse, and immediately asks me to follow him... then gives me 3 Chesto Berries. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here, so I just exit near the north side.

Yaguruma no Mori (ヤグルマの森)

I was half expecting some battles, but there are none in the first part. I do find a hidden Ether at the end of a path, and I navigate through the south part of this map to find, among other things, a Net Ball and a TinyMushroom. In the grass here I catch a level 15 Otamaro (オタマロ), a level 14 Dakkoraa (ダッコラー), and a level 15 Nageki (ナゲキ). The actual forest area to the west of this map is blocked by a line of Plasma grunts, so I head back to Shippou City.

Shippou City (シッポウシティ)

This time, I head straight for the gym. N bumps into me on his way out... He has a level 13 Mamepato (マメパト), level 13 Otamaro, and a level 13 Dakkoraa. My own Otomaro just powered through all of the with Bubblebeam. Inside the gym, it appears that there's a museum of some sort on the first floor. I meet some guy who shows around the fossils, then I go up the stairs to the actual gym. The gym's scrub trainers were no match for Dakkoraa and Nageki. I would have preferred having Dageki instead for an actual consistent SE attack, but I couldn't be assed to spend the time to find one.

Aloe has a level 18 Haaderia (ハーデリア) and a level 20 Miruhoggu (ミルホッグ). Against Haaderia, Dakkoraa's Low Kick (with -1 Atk) is roughly a 5HKO, while Haaderia's Take Down does 39/46 HP damage. I use Leer on the first turn and stall against Take Down's recoil (or a miss), then use Low Kick whenever I have a free attack. If Haaderia uses Leer to put Dakkoraa in OHKO position, I switch out to other Pokemon to sponge the incoming attack and send out Dakkoraa again. Against Miruhoggu, I first make sure that Dakkoraa is at full HP by switching in a sacrifice. I also gave Dakkoraa and Nageki Chesto Berries beforehand to at least get a free attack each against a faster Hypnosis. For whatever reason, Miruhoggu preferred instead to just attack Dakkoraa (allowing me to get 2 Low Kicks in with a sacrifice) and 1 of his 2 Hypnosis attempts missed against Nageki, allowing me to get in 2 Seismic Tosses for the KO. Aloe had already used both of her Super Potions on Haaderia and did not heal Miruhoggu.

Aloe gives me TM67 (Get Even, かたきうち), a 70 BP, 100 hit, 5 PP Normal type attack that increases in power if your ally was KO'd the previous turn. Upon completing her post battle speech, a bespectacled man runs in with some alert regarding Team Plasma, and Aloe rushes out. Some Plasma grunts steal the dragon skull from the large skeleton in the center of the museum. I just want to make my way to the Pokemon Center and move on... but outside I am stopped once again by Aloe, Aati (the Hiun City gym leader), Beru, and Cheren.

Code:
Pokemon      Lv. Nature   HP  Atk Def SpA SpD Spe
Tsutaaja       5 Mild      19  10   9  11  11  11
Hiyappu       10 Quiet     30  16  15  19  14  16
Tabunne       11 Mild      44  21  23  22  24  17
Otamaro       15 Gentle    43  21  18  20  23  28
Dokkoraa      14 Quirky    46  29  20  12  16  15
Nageki        15 Hasty     63  36  28  18  34  20
I'm keeping Tsutaaja around for cool points.

I'm planning on starting a playthrough pretty soon, but I have some questions before I begin:

For in-game consideration only, which version should I choose? The Japanese copy that I begin playing now will surely not be the game card that I use for VGC prep next year, so I just want the version that has the best Pokemon available for in-game purposes early on. For example, I consider Heart Gold to be "easier" than Soul Silver for in-game purposes because Caterpie (who evolves into Compound Eyes + Sleep Powder Butterfree) is available earlier. Is there anything that separates the two games early on?

Life is too short to waste time training Pokemon that have a low performance/effort yield. [thread=68448]See this thread for more detailed info/explanation.[/thread] I don't want to try using something like Dratini that's going to be playing catch-up for most of the game, or waste my time with something like pidgey that will become obsolete very quickly. Are there any Pokemon out there that are simply too good to pass up? In order for me to justify using something other than the starter, it needs to be exceptionally good, like Nidoran in RBY or Geodude in GSC.

On a somewhat related note, I found the following to be very surprising/confusing:

Since the starter Pokemon will be almost immediately outclassed, it doesn't really matter which one I pick, so I pick Tsutaaja (ツタージャ) because it looks cool.
Is this really true? In every single Pokemon game I've ever played (sans Yellow), your starter invariably ends up being one of the most useful in the game and most people (myself included) use the starter for the entire game. I usually play games by using the starters exclusively, but is there something about Black/White that makes it different from previous games in this regard? I'm also unsure as to which starter to choose. Which starter should I select for an efficient playthrough? If there's not a clear "best" starter, then I'd like to at least know which is the "worst," since I don't want to pick the equivilant of Treecko or Chikorita.

I'm planning on starting a playthrough pretty soon, but I have some questions before I begin:

For in-game consideration only, which version should I choose? The Japanese copy that I begin playing now will surely not be the game card that I use for VGC prep next year, so I just want the version that has the best Pokemon available for in-game purposes early on. For example, I consider Heart Gold to be "easier" than Soul Silver for in-game purposes because Caterpie (who evolves into Compound Eyes + Sleep Powder Butterfree) is available earlier. Is there anything that separates the two games early on?

Life is too short to waste time training Pokemon that have a low performance/effort yield. [thread=68448]See this thread for more detailed info/explanation.[/thread] I don't want to try using something like Dratini that's going to be playing catch-up for most of the game, or waste my time with something like pidgey that will become obsolete very quickly. Are there any Pokemon out there that are simply too good to pass up? In order for me to justify using something other than the starter, it needs to be exceptionally good, like Nidoran in RBY or Geodude in GSC.

On a somewhat related note, I found the following to be very surprising/confusing:

Is this really true? In every single Pokemon game I've ever played (sans Yellow), your starter invariably ends up being one of the most useful in the game and most people (myself included) use the starter for the entire game. I usually play games by using the starters exclusively, but is there something about Black/White that makes it different from previous games in this regard? I'm also unsure as to which starter to choose. Which starter should I select for an efficient playthrough? If there's not a clear "best" starter, then I'd like to at least know which is the "worst," since I don't want to pick the equivilant of Treecko or Chikorita.
The grass starter definitely seem to be the worst one. the other 2 are acctually fairly decent i ahve heard and pack alot of power offensively

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)