1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Green Mage, Mar 6, 2011.

1. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

he actually causes a text box; there's no way to miss it.
  2. flashkickass

flashkickass

He is actually quite nice in game. His only problem is he isn't to strong until around 35 when he evolves into vanillish and learns ice beam. He is a great dragon counter because he is pretty fast. sadly he only really can have ice beam and flash cannon for attacks while i used acid armor and hail in hte last 2 slots. personally he is one of my favorites and he isn't that bad. just not super amazing. Remember though that their aren't to many pokemon good against dragons till after the E4.
  3. Shotoetoe

Shotoetoe

Oh I know, I've bred what must be hundred of nidoran so far.
    If you're doing something like watching tv or anything else that does not involve staring at you screen the whole time, you can still easily miss it.
    All it takes is a single button, and I alternate left and right in a timed manner to rake up the steps without checking my screen.

I've missed the box a whole lot of times.
  4. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

How are people checking the IVs of baby pokemon? I don't really like breeding, but I might as well be prepared for the console game when it comes out. In SoulSilver I would just hatch a bunch of eggs and then play Revolution since it sets levels to 50 and check the IVs that way. Obviously I can't do that this gen, but I could do it with the Battle Subway, even though that sounds really annoying. How is everyone else doing it? Are they using an AR, or is there another way?
  5. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Are the pokémon of different nationalities? If so, the chances of getting a shiny egg are 6/8192 (they were 4/8192 by the same method in Gen IV).
  6. Shotoetoe

Shotoetoe

Eh? That seems rather contradictory.
    All the hassle of transferring them to revolution is far more trouble that saving before the subway or battle institute.
  7. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

Not really since you can check 6 Pokemon at once on Revolution and then quit the match. But you can only check 3 at a time in the Subway and you have to soft reset to check others.

So I assume that's how people are doing? Dammit...
  8. kefkakrazy

kefkakrazy

I picked Black because of two reasons.

First, I liked the idea of Black City.

Second, everyone in the line at the store was buying White.

Uwahahahaa!
  9. Baztard

Baztard

The backstories of the legendaries are amazing in this game. I was just grinding away, beat down Cheren and then some lady tells me there is a storm. I go and it's Blue-Genie-Zeus wrecking shit up.
    Then I go after Cobalion and now i'm after Virizion. The map on this game is amazingly diverse without being too ridiculous or monotonous (lol sinnoh hail erry'where).
  10. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It's so fun to use. Just blasting everything with Icy Wind until you get Ice Beam and then you blast everything with Ice Beam.
    It was probably one of my more used Pokemon, especially once I got the scarf on it.
  11. Green Mage

Green Mage

I saved every rare candy I got in game and ended up with 9 of them. Save the game, then use every rare candy on what you're trying to check. Enter the stats from level 6-10 in metalkid's IV calculator. Fill out all other information; you can get the Hidden Power type from the guy in Mistralton City's pokecenter. This will give you very accurate results.

After that, soft reset and repeat the process on the next pokemon.

The IV judge in the battle subway will help you save time by weeding out the crappy babies.

Metalkid provides the best IV calculator because it allows you to fill out the stats for every level. It doesn't take the potential and highest stats into consideration but it still gives you the most accurate results at low levels.
  12. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

1. One Audino
    2. Metalkid's IV calculator
    3. ???
    4. Profit!
  13. Hobbers

Hobbers

If you need more Rare Candies, there's a guy in the top-left-cornered city (You need to take the train from Nimbasa's Battle Subway) who gives away a whole lot of stuff (PP up, Vitamins, etc.). You can get a Rare Candy if you're lucky
  14. Chieliee

Chieliee

I was gonna say that you can get Rare candies in the Battle Subway. I checked to be certain. I found out that they cost FREAKING 48BP. Trollfreak is everywhere.
  15. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

Awesome. Thanks a lot guys. I like the Audino way since everyone uses some HP EVs, meaning they won't hurt. And I bet a level one pokemon would gain a shit ton of EXP from a level 65 Audino for more accurate results.

One more question: Does having multiple Magma Armor or Flame Body Pokemon make hatching faster, or do they not stack?
  16. More Cowbell

More Cowbell

Am I the only one having trouble training my Archen? It dies to everything, and the fact that just about everything I face in Chargestone has a SE-attack doesn't help either. Are the first few levels (lv 26 now) just a little harder to break through?
  17. Green Mage

Green Mage

You just need to wait until it gets acrobatics and then it's gg from there. Unless you weren't soft resetting at the fossil guy and got a crappy one. Also, chargestone cave is good while after you get the fossil. Did you wait a while?

Check out this deino I just hatched:

Monozu - #633 (Modest)
    HP: 30 - 31
    Att: 11
    Def: 31
    SpA: 31
    SpD: 26, 28
    Speed: 31

Hot damn.
  18. Nonary Game

Nonary Game

That place is really painful for him. It gets a lot better once you can get him some decent moves and he evolves.

Excellent hatch as well.
  19. Delko

Delko was a tab-made man
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

They don't stack, 1 or 5 pokemon with Magma Armor / Flame Body doesn't change the hatch time.
  20. zarator

zarator Credits to Mos-Quitoxe for the cute sprite^^
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus

I'm so envious lol
  21. thunderstone

thunderstone

Would breeding Steel Wing onto Unfezant be much help in making it a little easier to use?

Fly/Return/Steel Wing/Roost?
  22. TombolaMan

TombolaMan

If you really want to make the effort but it doesn't need it just use other Pokemon to take out rock types. You still won't do any damage against steels anyways.
  23. Juice!

Juice!

I just beat the Elite Four, and N/Ghetsis. I think I have a pretty sweet in-game team of Emboar, Excadrill, Leavanny, Scrafty, Sigilyph, and Caracosta. Does it really matter the order in which I do the post-game stuff, or anything goes, really?

Also, I'm working on completing the Unova Dex before I start on the National Dex. Which Pokémon can not even be SEEN in White? So far I haven't even found any in-game trainers using Vullaby/Mandibuzz, and I assume I won't even be able to see Tornadus. Are those the only ones?

And finally, I want to start building some of my PO teams in game, and I need Landorus. I was told I need to have both other genies in my party to even find it in the Ancient Shrine. Is this true? If so, I'm going to borrow my buddy's DS + copy of Black on Thursday when I go to his place before I go any further. =P

Thanks!
  24. cantab

cantab

Some Trainers in the Big Stadium and Small Court give items, notably Rare Candies, and even better PP Ups and Maxes. You can go back every day for rebattles. It's also quite good for levelling, if you don't want to Audino farm or do an E4 run.

And of course there's always Pickup.

Those, plus Landorus of course, and the event legendaries. There may be a few others you have to own to see (Zweillous springs to mind) but you can own them. And yes you need Tornadus and Thundurus to get Landorus.

An aside: White Forest is a bit over-hyped. Sure you can catch a bunch of Pokemon there - if you Entralink with Black and get characters into White City. Without access to Black, White's supposed great advantage isn't so great.
  25. Son_of_Shadoo

Son_of_Shadoo

You son of a bitch. Go and decimate everything with that. Now. I demand it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)