1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Green Mage, Mar 6, 2011.

1. thunderstone

thunderstone

Bump.

Anyone tried Basculin? Thinking of using one with adaptability in my next run through, any thoughts?
  2. Ginormous76

Ginormous76

Dang. I should have played Black then. Dang, dang, dang!
  3. Ginormous76

Ginormous76

I have not used one, but go for it! If it sucks, then get rid of it.
  4. thunderstone

thunderstone

Next Playthrough:

[​IMG]

May use Basculin instead of Carracosta, haven't decided (I have a serious passion for adaptability)

What Pokemon should I use in my last slot? Want to use something quite interesting, a special attacker would be nice. Was considering Gothitelle or maybe Bisharp. Any suggestions? Perhaps Vanilluxe.
  5. Chieliee

Chieliee

Cofagrigus also seems to fit that last slot really well. But if you use him I'd go with basculin, as having two physical walls is really unneccesary. One mixed wall will be enough. And Cofagrigus can also hit pretty hard with it's 95 base Sp.Atk. It's movepool isn't bad either, both on the support and offensive side it has enough options. It can also utilize the WoW-Hex combo like Chandelure.

EDIT: Forget about him having a good offensive movepool. It only has:
    Hex (17)
    Ominous Wind (25)
    Shadow Ball(39)
    TMs:
    Hidden Power
    Psychic
    Energy Ball
    Grass Knot
    and trolololol Dream Eater with no sleep inducing move.
  6. thunderstone

thunderstone

Edit:

Do you think I should use something else then?

Hex/Shadow Ball and Grass Knot til post e4 is probably useable in a meh way. His movepool wouldn't be an issue if his special attack is a bit higher but with 95 you kinda hope for better coverage.
  7. Hutch3

Hutch3

Just caught a Sigilyph, need to get rid of someone on the team for it. Right now I have
    Scraggy
    Herdier
    Darumaka
    Blitzle
    Dribur
    Dewott

I'm leaning towards Blitzel but looking for any opinions on who would be best to drop.
  8. Chieliee

Chieliee

It could be an issue. Although the Grass Knot TM is in Pinwheel Forest. Toxic is on route 17, which isn't THAT late.
  9. thunderstone

thunderstone

Herdier, although strong now, will probably be the least useful to your team out of all of those guys buy the end of the game.
  10. Seth Vilo

Seth Vilo

So I'm in the mood to raise a Hydreigon. I go to Victory Road to catch a couple to breed a good one. I check the IV' on this little guy:

Deino, Hardy
    HP: 31
    Atk: 29
    Def: 9
    SpA: 14
    SpD: 30
    Spe: 31

Not bad for no RNG or breeding yet, eh? I went and nabbed the Power Anklet ASAP and started breeding this baby. =)
  11. thunderstone

thunderstone

Would Gothitelle be a better shout than Cofagrigus? Admittedly she only gets thunderbolt over Cofagrigus, but I kinda think Psychic stab is more useful in-game than ghost...
  12. Juice!

Juice!

Heh, that looks almost exactly like my team was when I first caught Sigilyph, except I had Pignite over Dewott and Leavanny over Darumaka. ^_^

I personally cut Blitzle for Sigilyph, so I'll recommend that you do the same. No physical STAB other than Spark until level 49 on a physical Pokémon? Yeah... pass. =P

Although in the long run, I'd suggest cutting Herdier as well. It's by all no means bad, but outside of Return and Crunch, all it gets are the elemental fangs once it evolves (for Heart Scales, but you get one day from that chick in Driftveil City so whatever) which aren't overly strong. I'd say cut Blitzle now, and then cut Herdier (or Stoutland) once you get to Chargestone Cave, where you can catch Joltik who can be your new electric.

I think Samurott, Excadrill, Darmanitan, Scrafty, Sigilyph, and Galvantula is a pretty boss team. ;D
  13. thunderstone

thunderstone

Blitzle is heavily underrated. His Special attack stat is passable enough to survive with spark and discharge. He is very fast and available far earlier than the other electric types. Not saying he is triple-A standard; but he is certainly a good in game electric type.
  14. TombolaMan

TombolaMan

Agree with this. Using him in my current playthrough and he does just fine. You can also teach him tbolt if you get the tm after you get surf. Flame charge helps a lot with coverage too.
  15. Shinryu

Shinryu

Galvantula IMO for a good electric...special attacker as well.
  16. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

Working on my Krookodile and hatched a

Moxie
    Jolly
    HP: 18
    ATK: 24
    DEF: 25
    SPA: 16
    SPD: 11
    SPE: 31

He's going to be a Bulk Up Krook, so that plus Moxie helps make up for his average ATK IVs. However, he's Jolly instead of the preferable Adamant. His sucky SPD is also unappealing, but it's not all that good anyways, so I'm not bugged.

Should I toss it or keep going until I hatch an Adamant? This is my, like, 50th Sandile, so my patience is wearing thin.
  17. Ginormous76

Ginormous76

I just checked some of my gen 4 pokes IV's (hadn't yet). My Machamp has 31 Special Attack IV's (the rest except speed in the 20's). My Gyarados also has 31 Special Attack Iv's (and 28-29 Attack luckily).

That's my luck. The only pokes I have close to max IV's are in the wrong stats.
  18. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

Well, with Machamp you can use it pass the IVs to make an Alakazam, BEM, Gothielle, Infernape, or Mienshao (calm mind?).

With Gyarados you can pass them on to make a Charizard, Sceptile, Salamence, and Hydreigon.

They aren't a total waste!
  19. Ginormous76

Ginormous76

Nice. I'm wanting to breed a Salamence and Hydreigon (for different purposes). I figured I could probably do some chaining to get these IV's to someone useful. What's "BEM"?
  20. tomtom5858

tomtom5858

I would suggest keeping it, TKoH. 50 is a lot. lol.

EDIT: Forgot to put this in the last post, so:

Any advice on this team? I have a Naive MG Sigilyph in my box, so that could be used on here (Black version).

Victini
    Level 28

Dewott
    Level 29

Drilbur
    Level 28

Sawk
    Level 28

Herdier
    Level 28

Lilligant
    Level 28
  21. Ginormous76

Ginormous76

Hmmm... my comments didn't save. I suggested considering Scrafty over Sawk or Leavanny over Lilligant, because they will provide you either dark or bug attacks for some additional coverage. (You could use Leavanny until you catch a Joltik really, then get more coverage with bug/elec instead of bug/grass.) With Victini, there's no need to double up on Psychic types.
  22. Cheesy333

Cheesy333

My team as of post e4:

Excadrill lv 51
    Serperior lv 51
    Haxorus lv 52
    Conkeldurr lv 53
    Archeos lv 51
    Lampent lv 50

My lampent needs a dusk stone -.-

oh well

and why are the pokemon so strong after e4 (unexplored part of map)

I cant beat cynthia -.-
  23. Sajak

Sajak

There's a man who gives you a Dusk Stone on the route before the gates before Victory Road. You have to walk through the thick grass to reach him, and he's right by the Roar TM.
  24. Sharopoyezd

Sharopoyezd

they're high leveled, but not really that strong, i was able to go through with my team of 50's, yeah you have to heal often, but it doesn't take long to catch up. i think it's because of the xp curve, they did it so you can still train up all your pokemon.
  25. ToastTyrant13

ToastTyrant13

Does anyone know how to access that small green dot in the top-left area of the map? I believe it's called "Anville Town" or something, but I always wondered how one would get there, seeing how every other green dot is an accesable location (ie Celestial Tower or Desert Resort).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)