Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

I'm currently grinding my team to level 25 in order to take on the 4th gym leader.

Current Team:
Pignite lvl 22
Hardier lvl 22
Woobat lvl 22
Tympole lvl 22
Timburr lvl 22
Purrloin lvl 8 (HM slave)

I have just finished my first hour in Pokémon Black, and though it takes some time getting used to it, I'm loving most of the changes so far. Cities really feel like cities now, opposed to the random houses everywhere in DPPtHGSS.

Gonna attempt to complete the Unova Pokédex as much as possible (as in catch everything), and hopefully end with a team of Darmanitan/Krookodile/Galvantula/Sawsbuck/Bouffalant/Filler (maybe I'll keep my Tepig, or get Simisage or whatever).

asked a guy ingame what Hidden Power my samurott can learn, and he said fire.

is it worth it to add that to my movepool? or no

The game has been pretty easy up to the point im at IMO. The second and third gyms are no exception. I used Throh for the 2nd gym and beat it no problem and then dumped him in my PC. The 3rd gym was a bit more challenging but an unlikely hero emerged in Trubbish who's dual toxic spikes I set up on the constant Volt changing Emolga's took down the Zebstrika who didnt use its own volt change despite being poisoned. She tried saving it with 2 hyper potions but the A.I wasnt clever enough to notice that Zebstrika was badly poisoned, and the damage just racked up. Once delt with the Emolga's where taken down by the rest of my team with a few casualties but we had strength in numbers.

Everyone is talikng of grinding but really, there is NO need. Haven't grinded once yet because the new exp system is genious.

Heres my team without going into detail:
(Nicknames in brackets)

Dewott (Wottson) --- Lvl 27
Whimsicott (Fluffee, aquired in an in-game trade) --- Lvl 27
Gurdurr --- Lvl 28
Solosis --- Lvl 27
Emolga --- Lvl 27
Trubbish --- Lvl 27

I have no fear that I will beat the 5th gym with ease, Wottson is in his enviroment here.

Finally a small dilema, I always have trouble giving up a place in my team for a new member. So I'd like you to decide.

I was thinking of adding Vanillite (the small ice cream) to my party but somebody would have to go. Do I need an ice type in regard to the team above? Bearing in mind that my Solosis has HP Ice.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Does anyone know where to find a Sunstone? I wanna evolve my Petilil so I can kill everything with Sleep Powder + Quiver Dance + Petal Dance
It is in Nimbasa City.(in the apartment next to the battle subway) Try to evolve it between level 26 and 28. That way, you have both Giga Drain and Quiver Dance.

asked a guy ingame what Hidden Power my samurott can learn, and he said fire.

is it worth it to add that to my movepool? or no
You do already get Megahorn, Blizzard and the more reliable X-Scissor by level up or TM, to take care of grass pokes(although you should have a fire and/or flying poke anyway). Where's that guy?

First one I caught was a Jolly, so I decided that will do. He outspeeds... uhhh, the Roggenrolla line lol. Verdicts on Vanillish?

First one I caught was a Jolly, so I decided that will do. He outspeeds... uhhh, the Roggenrolla line lol. Verdicts on Vanillish?
The Speed boost from Jolly won't benefit Timburr much...

Anyway, just go with Modest on Vanillish. Vanilluxe's Speed is okay, but not too spectacular.

The thing that has annoyed me most this game is the part where you choose the fossils. I always press A once too many, and i get that lid fossil. (I wanted the other one, this time).

Can Liligant learn Giga Drain, when it evolved at level 25, with a Heart Scale? I know that the Move Relearner is in Mistralton City, but where do I get Heart Scales?

EDIT: Why the hell can't my level 27 Conkeldurr run from a level 19 Sandile?

The thing that has annoyed me most this game is the part where you choose the fossils. I always press A once too many, and i get that lid fossil. (I wanted the other one, this time).

Can Liligant learn Giga Drain, when it evolved at level 25, with a Heart Scale? I know that the Move Relearner is in Mistralton City, but where do I get Heart Scales?

EDIT: Why the hell can't my level 27 Conkeldurr run from a level 19 Sandile?
Other than getting them from wild Luvdisc, they can be found in:
-Routes 13, 17 and 18
-Desert Resort
-Driftveil City
-Cold Storage
-Dragonspiral Tower
-Undella Bay
(you'll need the itemfinder in some of these places)

And I think that you're supposed to level up Petilil all the way up to level 25 before you evolve it because Lilligant can't learn Petilil's moves after evolving.

Also, Conkeldurr's base 45 Speed makes it slower than most Pokemon.

just to add to the above post the heart scale in the desert resort is in the top LEFT corner, its visible. Same with the cold storage, my memory fails me here but its either round the left of the actual storage building, or through the grass immediately right from the cold storage building, both visible. You can thank me for the extra item you got from my description :P.

Loving the game so far. Just a few niggly details that I'd have preferred...

Having to close the dowsing machine to open the menu then reopen the dowsing machine each time is a bit annoying.
Sometimes I run on a bit too fast when choices are being given.
The specifics of levels/items/banlist for online battles seems a little limited.
Why so few trainer animations? You'd think that they could have given every trainer an animation this time around; instead, they've gone backwards...

A few awesome things...

Reusable TMs! Brilliant! Now if we could just scrap HMs to remove the need for slaves... I find myself looking over my team and shoving the new moves on every time I find a TM. "Hey, Grass Knot! Looks like Liepard can learn it. Well, it's got to be better than Pursuit, since I already know Thief. Hey, Work Up! Say goodbye to Growl, everyone!"
The GTS has every slot filled without you needing to make trades first! (That's more correcting an artificially introduced annoyance, though.)
Shortcuts for multiple items is nice. I have the Dowsing Machine and Bike on mine.

So far, the C-Gear seems pointless, though. I guess I could turn it on and leave it in my pocket whilst randomly walking around town and hope other people have done the same; but then it runs the battery down faster...

You can now register around 5 items I believe. Very nice.^

I for one am glad your pokemon doesn't follow you around this time. I think it just looks better. Battle animations are sweeeeet!

Having to close the dowsing machine to open the menu then reopen the dowsing machine each time is a bit annoying.
Actually, I learned that you can register both the Items and Medicine pages as a whole by checking that box next to the sort (which is also a really nice subtle touch). So you can leave the Dowsing Rod open and then just go to either the Items or Medicine through the registered drop down. Of course, that doesn't help with the other 5 options you have, but I use the bag the most, and those my two most visited pages, so it helps me a lot. My registered items are the Town Map, Dowsing Rod, Bike, Item Page, and Medicine Page. Now if only we could register the Pokemon page...

Edit: Actually you can register everything except for the general Pokemon page (where you switch etc) and the save page. That's pretty awesome.

Well, have to say I honestly dunno about all the problems everyone's been having, I've been breezing through the game so far. Team after the 6th gym:

Lv 38 Samurott
Lv 37 Excadrill
Lv 37 Sawk
Lv 36 Darmanitan
Lv 36 Stoutland
Lv 6 Patrat (Originally planned HM slave, though ironically he only knows Cut...honestly no clue why I still have him other than to sacrifice while I heal someone else up)

But yeah, no real problems at all for the most part.../shrug. Hoping something challenging comes along soon.

I for one love this game. I have 6 gym badges I believe and I'm about to go out of the Twisted Mountain and I have:

Samurott
Semisear
Conkledurr
Krookodile
Galvantula
Fraxure

All around lv 38-40

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks like the teams are looking pretty similar. Lots of Stoutlands and Excadrills. Right now I'm in the Desert Resort with a team that is as follows:

Pignite (Guy Fieri) - Lv25
Lilligant (Audrey2) - Lv25
Herdier (Belle) - Lv25
Drilbur (Unnamed, suggestions?) - Lv15
Petilil (Audrey) - Lv17, Cut/Flash slave til I find a better one

Pretty excited about how early Excadrill is going to learn EQ and SD. Main reason I chose Drilbur over Sandile. Also what's the earliest you can get an Archen? I need the flyer to round out my team.

Is it just me or is there a lack of decent water types so far?

Yeah, I would have liked it if Excadrill or Samurott followed me everywhere I went. Even better: Hydreigon, Reshiram, Zekrom or Haxorus.
Agreed, something about huge ass legendaries following me around, terrifying townsfolk and shattering the pavement in thier wake makes me smile.

At the same time I always wondered why my Wailord in SS was so small. -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)