Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I miss that little gem of a feature from HGSS :( Hopefully the third game will bring it back.

Looks like the teams are looking pretty similar. Lots of Stoutlands and Excadrills. Right now I'm in the Desert Resort with a team that is as follows:

Pignite (Guy Fieri) - Lv25
Lilligant (Audrey2) - Lv25
Herdier (Belle) - Lv25
Drilbur (Unnamed, suggestions?) - Lv15
Petilil (Audrey) - Lv17, Cut/Flash slave til I find a better one

Pretty excited about how early Excadrill is going to learn EQ and SD. Main reason I chose Drilbur over Sandile. Also what's the earliest you can get an Archen? I need the flyer to round out my team.

Is it just me or is there a lack of decent water types so far?
You actually get the Archen fossil in the Desert Resort; then you can backtrack a little to revive it.

My current team is something like:
Herdier (28)
Sandile (28)
Pignite (28)
Solosis (28)
Lilligant (30)
Watchog (24)

(a few of the levels were guesstimates...)

I'm about to start the fourth gym. Modest Lilligant just tears things up so far...

My team before the 8th gym is:

Samurott Lvl 46
Archeops Lvl 43
Krookodile Lvl 42
Darmanitan Lvl 42
Boldore Lvl 41
Gurdurr Lvl 44

Darmanitan is a monster. He just crushes things with Flare Blitz and Hammer Arm. It was very much worth putting up with Darumakka and Hustle to get this guy. Sandile and Krokorok actually really pissed me off in the beggining, but I knew the pay off would be good when he finally became a Krookodile and had some real power to mess with. Archeops is mostly my flyer, but it's a real powerhouse as long as it's HP is above half. Samurot actually surprises me with good he is with Shell Blade/Megahorn/Surf/Grass Knot. If I didn't love Feraligatr (and if he wasn't inherently better), I'd consider putting him as my Rain Sweeper for PO. Hopefully someone responds to my request soon so that I can evolve Boldore and Gurdurr since even though they're really good, they are a bit lacking overall; I can just feel it.

Waterbomb said:
Also what's the earliest you can get an Archen? I need the flyer to round out my team.
You get the Plume Fossil in the Relic Castle under Nimasa City. Be warned, though, that Archen can't learn fly, but Archeops can (which is dumb). If you need a flyer, you should grab a Woobat or a Pidove until you evolve Archen. He's actually really quick to evolve if you have him hold the Lucky Egg, teach him Rock Smash, and go Audino hunting on Route 7. I got him up 12 levels (he evolves at 37) in about 15 minutes.

You can, but you have to abttle N/Ghetsis right after you do w/ no delay.

Also, does anyone know if shaking patches appear at a specific point, or just always? I sat on route 1 for like 15 minutes w/o seeing a shaking patch.
SPOILERS! Some of us haven't had time to beat the game in two days, but still have generic questions like, "Where can I get X?" Or gym whatever is hard/easy!

Good news everyone! :) Got an Adamant, Jolly, Impish and Sassy Munna! (And two no-benefits, Docile and Hardy)
All with Forewarn. ;)

I love Audino, but I wish my Pokémon would stop loving it. Immobilized by love twice in a row, then Secret Power put me to sleep, then immobilized again when I woke up...

Actually, a few have Synchro, I just have to see which. Still good news =P

EDIT: Actually, everything BESIDES IMPISH (And Sassy, but I didn't need it) was Synchro ;-;...I don't NEED Adamant OR Jolly...I need Impish >.<

In chargestone cave and my team is as follows

Lvl 33 Servine (lackluster movepool but it's good)
Lvl 30 Tirtuga (had to backtrack a bit for this but I needed a water type. Good deff and scald does more than I thought it would. Crunch and Aquajet are good moves as well)
Lvl 27 Joltik (JUST caught this guy. I want him on my team. Looks so cool)
Lvl 30 Krokorok (Not the fastest thing out there but I like him. He's pretty good)
Lvl 30 Darumaka (He has hustle... so he wrecks face but he also misses -_-, if I find the wide lens its totally going on him)

Also used Herdier for a till 4th gym. Had an adamant Scraggy but I'm not using it :/ save it for another playthough.

Trying to decide if getting the lucky egg so early is good or not in this game. I know its optional to use it but I pretty much stopped any form of grinding after 5th gym and still more than maintained decent enough levels with a team of 5 to beat the league - I've never managed that in a Pokemon game before. But the cities are absolutely fantastic, and the plot was amazing. The mascot legends fight onward was just epic.

My final team was, after beating the league and depositing with nicknames in brackets:
Lvl 50 Emboar (PorkChops)
Lvl 51 Stoutland (RabidMutt)
Lvl 52 Sawk (AfuknNinja)
Lvl 52 Reshiram (WhiteV FTW) (Yeah, had to get that one... wouldn't of used it but it's a compulsory catch.
Lvl 52 Victini (IKilPupies) (A bit cheap but it had lousy moves for AGES and I was excited about the event when I got Black)
Lvl 53 Krookodile (BanditKeef)

I didn't EV train. There wasn't really a need. I grinded a lot up to gym 6 where all my guys were in the higher 30s, and then after that I stopped but still reached those levels by the time the league was done, mainly thanks to the lucky egg. Moxie Krookodile is a saint though, absolutely destroyed the ghost E4 member.

Fantastic game, but I need to go hunting for the three fighting legends now, I forgot where to go. ¬_¬

Also I realise major repetitive types there, with 2 fightings and 3 fires if you include Reshiram, but I just went for what I liked, to decent success.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Getting a lucky egg is a good thing. In the event that you might want to change your team, it makes it that much easier to do so.

Not to mention you need some major grindage for the post-game.

Actually, a few have Synchro, I just have to see which. Still good news =P

EDIT: Actually, everything BESIDES IMPISH (And Sassy, but I didn't need it) was Synchro ;-;...I don't NEED Adamant OR Jolly...I need Impish >.<
I still looking for a Jolly Synchro dream-e-phant ;-; and I share your pain. You give every nature except the one you need the most so frustrating.

I sometimes wish this Pokemon only had one ability. Would make life so much easier.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Reminder: You can catch Synchronize Elgyem in the Celestial Tower. Top Floor (the roof) has a 50% Elgyem encounter rate. They're significantly more common than Munna, although it's less obvious until you catch them what the nature is.

What is the spoiler tag?

The league final is very unexpected, I knew I would battle N again but not in a motha****** castle that's bigger than most cities AND find the legendary meanwhile and battle a troll Ghetseigon too.

And the league fails in everything but scenarios, esoteric group (ghost, psychic, dark) and its negative (fight)? It's like too tematic, and the pokémon are too similar (dark/bug rape trololol).

And a Liepard there is a joke.

EDIT: Spoiler tag added. Thanks!

Current team right after the 6th badge and before Twister Mountain:
Lvl 38: Tynamo (one more level and it can finally not suck as harddd)
Lvl 37: Excadrill (which I named Wilbur)
Lvl 37: Samurott (which I named Ocelot
Lvl 39: Litwick (Chandelere ftw)
Lvl 37: Archeops

Sixth spot has a Conkuldurr, but I'm gonna trade it for an Axew when I can catch it.

Oh, by the way, I haven't checked out the daycare yet. Is it like in FireRed and LeafGreen, where you can't breed till the end of the game, or can you do it RIGHT there?

Just a little update here, I know nobody usually reads before posting themselves but just incase anybody is interested this is my team directly before the 5th gym.

Lvl 28 Dewott (Wottson)
--- I love this starter, fire/fighting again made for a lukewarm starter in Tepig. (I picked Oshawott due to a magazine cover which could of been any of the starters, I got the Oshawott cover.) Will be solid for the ground gym.

Lvl 27 Solosis
--- At the moment he's not doing so well, his good special attack is overshadowed by bad everything else. He's got time to evolve yet though :). Should do ok in the 5th gym with his HP Ice, but will have to watch out for the sandile line which carries dark attacks

Lvl 28 Trubbish
--- Underrated monotype poison pokemon, he can take hits with stockpile, he can lay down toxic spikes. I know he's an acquired taste but ive always been one for the weirdo's. Will find the 5th gym tough with his typing. Gonna suicide lead with double toxic spikes on the leader.

Lvl 27 Whimsicott (Fluffee)
--- Excellent ability, can paralyse opponents and seed. Only has one attacking option at the moment with giga drain, will probably get the uturn tm for this guy. (wherever that is). Should be solid once more against the 5th gym

Lvl 29 Gurdurr
--- Kills everything, takes physical hits like a tank, his special defence is somewhat lacking. Just learned bulk up. Will play a key role in the 5th gym against the inevitable croc evo line.

Lvl 27 Emolga
--- Yes he isnt that good statwise, you cant ignore how cool he looks though. Outspeeds most enemies, cant take hits, learns unique moves. His typing is a mixed blessing against the 5th gym and his lack of an effective attack against ground means he will be subbed for this gym.

REPLACEMENT:

Lvl 26 Vanillite
--- Frail, cant hit hard. However he can still evolve into a well balanced poke, and he's an ICE type! Should pose a threat in the 5th gym, equipped with the evolite he should be able to take out some ground types before he dies. He couldnt be worse than Emolga in this environment in any case.

Also in response to the post about not EV'ing I did use some feathers found upon driftveil bridge. Surely they are not as powerful ans protein etc?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I've been thinking that... Seems pretty often I make a single step after a wild battle only for another one to jump out. Might just be luck, though.
Indeed, wild encounter rate is annoyingly high for my taste. That said, Running (holding B), and riding a Bicycle both increase the encounter rate, so if you want to minimize your encounter rate without Repels, walk.

I've been thinking that... Seems pretty often I make a single step after a wild battle only for another one to jump out. Might just be luck, though.
Same here. It's gotten to the point where I take a step, Pokemon, two more, Pokemon, two more, AGAIN >.<...Then there are times where I run around for 15 seconds >_>;

EDIT: Also, nice sounding team! :D

Indeed, wild encounter rate is annoyingly high for my taste. That said, Running (holding B), and riding a Bicycle both increase the encounter rate, so if you want to minimize your encounter rate without Repels, walk.
I wish that worked as well as it sounds. Walking got me 4 battles in 5 steps -_-
Oh well, I've bought a snorlax's weight in max repels so I'm good LoL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)