Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

After playing 750+ hours of Pearl, I was burned out on Pokemon for a while, until I picked up Black over a week ago.

I have to say, it's pretty damn good. I'm really diggin' a lot of the new Pokemon, with my favorites being Scrafty, Timburr, Mienfoo and Elgyem (Reminds me of the "Okay" reaction face). I can't wait to use them in WiFi battles.

The only thing I don't like is that the dungeons and gyms feel linear. The gyms only seemed to have one path, and you had to fight every damn trainer you saw. I don't remember if it was like that in Pearl. Also, this was easily the worst Victory Road.

The game also seems easy. Aside from Lenora's damn Wathchog, I pretty much swept the entire game, without ever going out of my way to level. I'm actually looking forward to challenging the Elite 4 with my crappy mid-40s team of Emboar/Stoutland/Unfezant/Lilligant/Seismitoad/Vanillish.

Although it's not the game's problem, I will say this: Dream World can choke on a fat one.
I'm from 4chan, so I am very familiar with that reaction image. I enjoy it.

Also, have fun getting your ass handed to you by their level 50-54's (Including N and Ghetsis, and I think Ghet's Hydreigon is 56 but I can't remember). My team was all like level 48-52 and I got murdered.

Ghetsis was actually very easy for me: Rugged Helmet Stoutland go go go! All I did was use Work Up against his lead Pokemon, then use one Full Restore and swept with Return/Fire Fang/Crunch. My Stoutland was also the underlevelled one: my team was all 55-56 except for the big dog, at Level 50.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I didn't even FINISH Ghetsis with a Pokemon over level 50 (Lilligant made it to level 49 in that battle), how do you have that kind of patience for a team of 50+ Pokemon?

With the Lucky Egg, it doesn't take long at all. I always make my team higher than the highest Pokemon at the league so I know I can beat them without using items. I raised 18 different Pokemon to level 60 before the league (well, Hydreigon was 64), so I guess I do have quite a bit of patience.

Ghetsis was remarkably easy for me... I didn't have a very overlevelled team, which consisted of Reuniclus/Scrafty/Cofagrigus/Gigalith/Vanilluxe/Escavalier. Hydreigon was a stroke of luck; Focus Blast missed on Vanilluxe so I 2HKOed with Ice Beam + Ice Shard.

how do you have that kind of patience for a team of 50+ Pokemon?
The optimal team size in my experience is about 3-4 Pokemon with 2 HM Slaves. If you are only running 3 Pokemon, level 52 is reasonable for when you start the Elite 4, even without much Lucky Egg abuse.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The E4, N & Ghestis wasn't that hard for me, they were reasonable in difficulty, but they can wallop an unprepared team. I entered with 47's across the board, with a team of Serperior/Scrafty/Cofagrigus/Carracosta/Vanilluxe/Galvantula & I didn't have too much trouble. Marshal was easily the toughest for me, Caitilin/Grimsley/Shauntal were laughing stocks thanks to Scrafty, N was Okay, & so was Ghestis. Hydreigon was hardly a problem, it was Bouffalant & Eelektross that were the headaches. But that's just me, of course.

@Blindy McBlind: No, actually, I used the Lucky Egg only for one level each on my Pokemon; I had more fun with actual items. :P I battle every Trainer, take my time, explore, defeat strong Pokemon in the wild (if they give bad EVs I might not bother). I had a full team of 6. And I used to raise my Sp. Attackers to Lv. 40 in Emerald on Oddishes before beating Wattson (how's THAT for patience?).

Wow, that is way more patience than I have. I don't EV train in-game. All I do is make sure my physical attackers don't get any special attack and my special attackers don't get any physical attack. I was in Victory Road for 3 days raising all my stuff to 60. Then I decided that since I had at least one guy from each Elite 4 member's team, I would use that one to defeat the member. I used Chandelure, Bisharp, Reuniclus, and Mienshao against the 4 members. I couldn't defeat N with just Archeops or Ghetsis with just Eelektross, so I just destroyed them with my entire party.

With many Hyper Potions, N and Ghetsis can be somewhat easy, but that Hydreigon, you could be lucky with Fire Blast missing Durant and OHKO Hydreigon w/X-Scissor.

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The optimal team size in my experience is about 3-4 Pokemon with 2 HM Slaves. If you are only running 3 Pokemon, level 52 is reasonable for when you start the Elite 4, even without much Lucky Egg abuse.
I usually use a full team. Makes it harder to level.

Well, I also used Victini in-game (why not?) which was hard to level up, especially with no good Psychic STAB for a while.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Trying out some Pokemon for experience for the In-game tiers thread and not far enough to post there but there's progress (just got to Nimbasa)

Snivy/Servine has been all right, not nearly as good as the other starters but it can at least hit with Grass moves decently.

Panpour/Simipour is pretty cool, actually. Scald right now is amazing and Bite's decent coverage for this part of the game.

Munna is, well, okay. It's nowhere near great but it can take hits and Psybeam is pretty good. I don't find it terrible.

Pidove/Tranquill is terrible so far however. Useless for a long while, okay for Pinwheel Forest, good against Burgh, and then it's a joke. Maybe it'll be good when I get Fly? I hope so.

Sawk is incredible and nothing else needs to be said.

Dwebble is too early to call but it can't take a hit at all. Dishes them out nicely though. I just got it recently so I won't worry too much yet.

Seeing as how i'm now firmly involved in the dream world, I think i've seen everything there is to see in black and white and i'm now able to make some final worthless commentary that I wouldn't fault you for not reading.

Biggest disappointments in black/white:

-Worthless starters
I kind of liked finishing the game with the pokemon I started with. That's kind of hard to achieve when all three starters are completely outclassed by easily caught pokemon before you even get your third badge.

-The music
Compared to past series, it sucks. Sometimes it's downright annoying.

-Hidden Power and the IV system still unchanged
Hidden power is only useful to hackers or other sorts of abusers, and thus encourages hacking; you either hack for hidden power or you're at a serious competitive disadvantage. Any system that punishes clean users while rewarding cheaters is a bad system; spending days or even weeks hatching 20000 eggs until you get a decent pokemon is the definition of punishment.

-Lack of competitive battling
6v6 lvl100 flat battles don't exist. I haven't had a single serious battle with my pokemon yet and I never will because i'm not leveling them all to 100. I'm not buying another 5th gen game until someone confirms this to be fixed.

-Random Battles
While gamefreak did a great job of fixing some of the lingering problems that have plagued the series since the beginning (reusable TMs and the lack of necessary HM slaves being the two biggest improvements), god damn random battles are still around. Yes, it's so much fun to stop every three steps in a cave just to run away. So. Much. Fun.

-Senseless ability and move issues
I just love how my winged pokemon that is clearly flying in the air still gets hit by ground attacks. Would multiple abilities really be that hard to program and balance? Breloom is healed by poison and takes super effective damage from poison at the same time. And why can't marowak hit a flying pokemon by throwing a bone at it? I could write a book about this issue.

-Obvious weather bias is obvious
The already broken sand gets even more broken bonuses, rain and sun get non-uber permasetters and seriously deadly sweepers, and hail gets...absolutely nothing. Literally nothing at all.

-Frillish evolves into Jellicent
One of the coolest designs ever changes into one of the corniest, and not even the eviolite can salvage it. Thanks alot, trollfreak.

-Elgyem/Beheeyem
Could they look any cooler? Could they suck any harder? Thanks again, trollfreak.

After playing through the games and months of competitive play, my favorite 5th gen pokemon are:

Mmm...bulky offense. I love bulky offense so much. Magic guard...dear god. It might surprise some people to see this on my favorites list because i always argue with those who claim it is broken, but I love everything about this thing (except its lame and seemingly arbitrary typing).

One of the cutest and coolest designs ever (love that weird smile) and it's so much fun to play with. On top of all the subjective stuff, it is really good competitively if you know how to use it properly. Just awesome all around (except its English name).

Badass typing. Great movepool and stats. Awesome wallbreaker with taunt while retaining amazing coverage. Is bulky offense (my favorite playstyle). Awesome design (except for those worthless legs).

This guy came out of nowhere. I was always waiting for an awesome deer/stag pokemon to come around, but I didn't look twice at sawsbuck until I started testing sun. Holy friggin hell is this thing incredible. So much better than venusaur.

-Random Battles
While gamefreak did a great job of fixing some of the lingering problems that have plagued the series since the beginning (reusable TMs and the lack of necessary HM slaves being the two biggest improvements), god damn random battles are still around. Yes, it's so much fun to stop every three steps in a cave just to run away. So. Much. Fun.
Try repels. Pokemon is one of the very few RPGs that has an item with which you can avoid random encounters altogether, this being a huge advantage over other RPGs since the very early pokemon games.

Seeing as how i'm now firmly involved in the dream world, I think i've seen everything there is to see in black and white and i'm now able to make some final worthless commentary that I wouldn't fault you for not reading.

Biggest disappointments in black/white:

-Worthless starters
I kind of liked finishing the game with the pokemon I started with. That's kind of hard to achieve when all three starters are completely outclassed by easily caught pokemon before you even get your third badge.

-The music
Compared to past series, it sucks. Sometimes it's downright annoying.

-Hidden Power and the IV system still unchanged
Hidden power is only useful to hackers or other sorts of abusers, and thus encourages hacking; you either hack for hidden power or you're at a serious competitive disadvantage. Any system that punishes clean users while rewarding cheaters is a bad system; spending days or even weeks hatching 20000 eggs until you get a decent pokemon is the definition of punishment.

-Lack of competitive battling
6v6 lvl100 flat battles don't exist. I haven't had a single serious battle with my pokemon yet and I never will because i'm not leveling them all to 100. I'm not buying another 5th gen game until someone confirms this to be fixed.

-Random Battles

-Senseless ability issues
I just love how my winged pokemon that is clearly flying in the air still gets hit by ground attacks. Would multiple abilities really be that hard to program and balance? Breloom is healed by poison and takes super effective damage from poison.

-Obvious weather bias is obvious
The already broken sand gets even more broken bonuses, rain and sun get non-uber permasetters and seriously deadly sweepers, and hail gets...absolutely nothing. Literally nothing at all.

One of the coolest designs ever changes into one of the corniest, and not even the eviolite can salvage it. Thanks alot, trollfreak.

-Elgyem/Beheeyem
Could they look any cooler? Could they suck any harder? Thanks again, trollfreak.
Is that a typo?

Random battles are a part of all RPGs, so I don't think that's valid to complain about. And there's always the chance of a Shiny encounter. I actually like the music in some places (but Celestial Tower's IS horrible when I'm EV training). Also, I do agree about the IV system: SOOO annoying. And yes, Whimsicott IS among the most awesome Pokemon ever made.

Is that a typo?
Ahaha. No. Hey, this is my list. I figured that an 'in my opinion' disclaimer would be a given after every sentence.

Try repels. Pokemon is one of the very few RPGs that has an item with which you can avoid random encounters altogether, this being a huge advantage over other RPGs since the very early pokemon games
They really don't solve the problem because they aren't permanent and don't last nearly long enough.

Random battles are a part of all RPGs, so I don't think that's valid to complain about.
I can't agree here. They are a part of all JRPGs, which are now largely viewed as inferior (mostly due to their inability to evolve past random battles). RPGs like Elder Scrolls and Demon Souls are two of the best RPGs ever made and you get to pick your own battles instead of stopping every couple of seconds to run away from a worthless enemy. Not to mention MMOs, most of which have worthless enemies run away from you (always really cool).

Buy Super Repels and you never have to worry about random battles ever again!!

Really, you have so much money in-game that you can afford to buy those. I always buy around 50 of them mid-game and never have to worry about Wild shitty Pokémon bothering me.

Twas an enjoyable list! I generally didn't like the music as much, but does anyone agree that Driftveil's was frankly amazing? :P

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
That's funny, because even Frillish's creator didn't like what the staff did with him. Then again, she wanted Frillish to be a pure Water-type and not a creepy jellyfish, so I don't agree with her... and I like Pringles, if only because it does look like Pringles Man.

Male Frillish is still cuter, though >:

I think that we can all agree that female Burungeru look like a pedopholistic pie squid with a brain tumor.

Joking aside, still think GF was retarded for getting rid of level 100 singles.

Arcticblast

I for one really enjoyed the music in most battles and some locations (special wild, Gym battles [both parts], legendary music and route 10 come to mind).

Also, I did a random breed (my awful-IV'd starter with a flawless Ditto) and got this result:

Oshawott (male)
Impish
31/31/8/30/31/31

SUCH ANGER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)