Pokémon Conquest

I have yet to beat the game, but post-game content appears to be through the roof. Easily surpasses the main story.

The "main" storyline that you start out in took me 15 hours, but that's because I spent a lot of time beating around the bush and training up difficult Pokemon haha.

Definitely one of the best spin-offs.

It's remarkable how much gameplay you can get out of this game. Completing all of the missions, getting best link Pokemon, raising enough money so you can get the optimal ability on whatever Pokemon, etc. Perfect link hunting is actually surprisingly fun and addicting. So far I have around 6 perfect links that I've caught on my own.

Agreeing with Synre that movement range is really important. It's really annoying moving around Pokemon with 2 movement range. Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate are incredibly useful for their ability to go over obstacles. Charizard would have been fantastic if it had 3 movement range. Good attacking move, can fly over stuff; just that movement range is awful. It's not even a slow Pokemon unlike most Pokemon with a movement range of 3. Gyarados is great for its ability to fly, very good stat spread and typing, and INTIMIDATE. Intimidate is so fantastic in this game. It has a wide distribution and lowering the attack of nearby enemies is very useful.

One Pokemon that I've found to be very effective is Scizor. X-scissor is an incredible move and it has fantastic range. I initially thought Scizor would be mediocre because Bug/Steel is awful offensively, but X-scissor does a lot of damage to even resists which is nice.

I'm still not very far though. I've only beaten the main storyline and Hideyoshi's quest.

I agree with the whole Charizard thing. In the main storyline, when I finally got a Charizard, I was distraught by Charizard's crappy range. I used it in the Steel nation, and by the time it finally got there and attacked, there was only one member left over there. I understand stuff like Aggron and Emboar, who are really slow, but Charizard is pretty fast. The slow guys are still kind of important since most of them are really bulky, but Charizard isn't. He is still OK, but with a movement range of 3 he'd be so much better.

Darmanitan is such an awesome Pokemon in this game. It has a decent range of 3, a good HP stat and speed stat (thus accuracy) and an insane attack of course. But the big draw is FIRE BLAST. It hits, like, everything ever and has 5 star power. The 2 spaces beside it and a plus formation in front of it can really weaken the opponent's Pokemon and Fire has excellent coverage in this game too. That and you get Darumaka really early and he is relatively easy to evolve (Weavile...). Chandelure, Infernape, Vaporeon, and Lapras are also pretty cool.

I do remember the first time I challenged the final boss I got trolled so freaking hard thanks to that Lucario Ranmaru had. The first turn, Fire Blast did about 5 less damage than it was supposed to and left Lucario with 1 HP. After she healed 100 of its HP, Fire Blast and some other move missed and Lucario used Aura Sphere on Arceus, got a Critical hit, and made Arceus barely faint. Rayquaza destroyed the rest of my team after that. I re-challenged him immediately with the same Pokemon and only lost one Pokemon when I won.

Overall, out of the 3 and a half missions and main storyline, this is definetly the best Pokemon Spin-off.

Movement is extremely important in this game, especially because you have to have that perfect distance if you want to attack. I lost attacking Nixstorm today because Gracia managed to run away and put herself in positions where I couldn't get the right distance to attack with my last remaining Pokemon. She stalled out the remaining turns when I only had to hit Musharna one more time to KO it and win. Most frustrating. Time to up army strength a little more. I'm a bit underpowered at this point.

Also agreeing that finding perfect links is a lot more fun than it has any right to be. It's really satisfying to see that little gold medal when you enter a battle. I kind of suck at linking though and usually have to link twice to finish it.

I might give Samurai Warriors a look sometime. I'm a bit curious about the characters.

Maybe I've been to focused on beating the storylines too much to achieve the perfect link with any of my guys (I've already cleared 5 of the post main story line), but getting the 100% does this make the mon you have "evolve" into the legendary ones?

I think that was my biggest dissapointment about the game. The only legendary I've seen on the field has been the shiny raq and Arceus (who you don't even get to keep the link with :( )

So what do you guys think of the nation battlefields? A lot of them are really cool. Terrea and Fontaine look awesome and don't have any annoying gimmicks. I didn't like Valora, Nixtorm, Spectra, or Dragnor's battlefield, though; they had way too many gimmicks. Valora especially with the really limited space to move, the weird crane things that took you to different places on the map (this was especially annoying), and the gears that block you from moving a certain direction. The gimmicks in Valora really restricted your movement to the point where it was really annoying. It also didn't help that Flying-types aren't good against the army in Valora in the main storyline.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Valora is annoying, by far my least favorite map. Single-space pathways really limit movement, and the gears constantly make you have to change directions. The cranes are an added annoyance. There is nothing I like about the map.

On Spectra, Cragspur, Nixtorm, Ignis and Fountaine, I stay defensive. By not moving on Nixtorm, Ignis and Cragspur, you can easily funnel in your opponents. It is easier to let your opponent hit the switches on Fountaine so next turn you don't have to waste a mon pressing one, giving you an advantage when attacking. I don't like moving too much on Spectra because the statues and spirits can often force you in directions you don't want to go. Using Pokemon like Charizard, Ralts, Infernape, Lapras, Ampharos or any Pokemon that can attack from a distance is really helpful when going defensive.

Terrera is the easiest flag map while Illusio is the most difficult imo

Terrera is the easiest flag map while Illusio is the most difficult imo
I disagree with you that Illusio is the most difficult flag map. Pugilis is the hardest in my opinion. Pugilis is a joke in the main storyline because none of the Pokemon can fly and you can easily stall them out with one of the many Bug-types or if you actually bothered to get one before Pugilis, Gyarados (who completely destroys the army). However, Pugilis is a nightmare when the opponent has multiple offensive Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate because it's extremely hard to stall them out unless you beat all of the Pokemon. Gyarados in particular would be a nightmare to fight there with Aqua Tail's excellent target range, its amazing overall stats, its ability to fly, and Intimidate, but luckily I haven't seen any there yet.

With the strong emphasis on movement Conquest has along with its multiple stage gimmicks and tiles, fliers and levitators are extremely valuable and completely dominate in banner challenges, especially if they're partnered with Warriors with skills that increase movement range. I personally think Illusio is the worst banner map. Movement is nearly impossible on those one way floating blocks and without fliers, you're stuck waiting for the warps to change to the location you want them to go while fliers can hug the corners to go from island to island. I can deal with Pugilis since you need to control the banners for five turns rather than just capture them all. (Unless that's changed in non storyline fights? I haven't fought a major battle on Pugilis other than the Legend of Ransei storyline battle.)

The only consolation is the enemy is similarly restricted if they don't have Pokemon that can bypass the floating blocks of despair.

As for my progress, I'm slowly working through the post game stories. I am not excited to try to take on Mitsunari's Scizor...

Just got this game recently, and I have to mention how unbelievably strong Dratini is right now. Guaranteed 40 damage on 2 squares incredibly early in the game is insane. And agreeing that Flying pokemon are really powerful. So far it's been pretty easy, but I've only just beaten Terrera.

Does anyone know how to level places up? I haven't found any place called the bank so idk :/

I just picked this game up yesterday, and I'm not too far in it yet, but I have a question. Is it better to use passwords ASAP? Or would it be better to wait to use them? The prospect of giving Oichi a Dratini to work with is very tempting (Serebii neglects to mention that she has an affinity toward Dragons as well as Normal-types. I wonder if that's significant storywise.), but once I use it, I can't use the password again, right?

Other than that, the selection of Pokemon that are in this game is simply amazing. There might be a little bit of bias toward Generation 5 Pokemon, but it's nowhere near the ridiculous skew other recent spin-off games have, like Rumble Blast and Pokepark Wii. Not only does the game do pretty well balancing generations, it picks a lot of really cool Pokemon from each one. Ampharos, yay! Gyarados, yay! Walrein, yay! Drifblim, whoa, really?! NICE! My only gripe is that 2nd-Gen seems a little short-changed without starters or legends from there. (Oh well, not a big fan of the 2nd-gen starters anyway, except MAYBE Cyndaquil.)

Does anyone know if Pokemon can be released or replaced? I linked Emolga with my main character and am not really happy with that choice :( am I stuck with it?

Does anyone know if Pokemon can be released or replaced? I linked Emolga with my main character and am not really happy with that choice :( am I stuck with it?
If you fill a Warrior's capacity and link with another Pokemon, you can replace one of the old ones. Similarly, you can dismiss a Warrior you don't want by stationing six in a castle and deploying a new recruit there.

I beat the game in around 9 hours, but you lose everything until you complete the post game stuff when there is nothing to do once you get everything back? can someone clarify this for me?

I beat the game in around 9 hours, but you lose everything until you complete the post game stuff when there is nothing to do once you get everything back? can someone clarify this for me?
Your link percentages are reset, but the base links will still exist. Basically, you keep the Pokemon (and those Pokemon stay attached to whichever warrior recruited them), but not the experience points. Any evolved Pokemon will stay evolved, so you could start a chapter (basically a mini-campaign) with (for example) a 10% Emboar instead of a 10% Tepig.

Here is a good question:
In order to get the Special Pokemon (Groudon, Mewtwo, Articuno, etc), is it that you need to clear the scenarios (like Kenshin for Groudon), then in any scenario, upgrade the town's buildings to L3 in order, get the in-game message, take the respective guys to get them?

I agree with the whole Charizard thing. In the main storyline, when I finally got a Charizard, I was distraught by Charizard's crappy range. I used it in the Steel nation, and by the time it finally got there and attacked, there was only one member left over there. I understand stuff like Aggron and Emboar, who are really slow, but Charizard is pretty fast. The slow guys are still kind of important since most of them are really bulky, but Charizard isn't. He is still OK, but with a movement range of 3 he'd be so much better.

Darmanitan is such an awesome Pokemon in this game. It has a decent range of 3, a good HP stat and speed stat (thus accuracy) and an insane attack of course. But the big draw is FIRE BLAST. It hits, like, everything ever and has 5 star power. The 2 spaces beside it and a plus formation in front of it can really weaken the opponent's Pokemon and Fire has excellent coverage in this game too. That and you get Darumaka really early and he is relatively easy to evolve (Weavile...). Chandelure, Infernape, Vaporeon, and Lapras are also pretty cool.

I do remember the first time I challenged the final boss I got trolled so freaking hard thanks to that Lucario Ranmaru had. The first turn, Fire Blast did about 5 less damage than it was supposed to and left Lucario with 1 HP. After she healed 100 of its HP, Fire Blast and some other move missed and Lucario used Aura Sphere on Arceus, got a Critical hit, and made Arceus barely faint. Rayquaza destroyed the rest of my team after that. I re-challenged him immediately with the same Pokemon and only lost one Pokemon when I won.

Overall, out of the 3 and a half missions and main storyline, this is definetly the best Pokemon Spin-off.
Sure but...

Ranmaru is a guy by the way....

So I'm currently playing through Ieyasu's story. I grinded out Oichi and Aya to their second stages during Hideyoshi's story, but after I rerecruited the two of them, they reverted back to stage one. On the other hand, my other two re-recruited transformed warlords--Kanetsugu and Ina--retained their promotions.

Anyone know why this happened?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I'm currently playing through Ieyasu's story. I grinded out Oichi and Aya to their second stages during Hideyoshi's story, but after I rerecruited the two of them, they reverted back to stage one. On the other hand, my other two re-recruited transformed warlords--Kanetsugu and Ina--retained their promotions.

Anyone know why this happened?
You have to complete a battle with the evolved form in order for them to be saved in the Gallery (and hence, be available in other stories). If you aren't sure if you've played a battle with them, they should have a gold disc next to them on the Info screen, or else you can just check the Gallery to see if they're there.

Same thing happened to me when I evolved Aya, too.

Oh, good lord... that means most of my Warlords are going to revert when I get them back for Yukimura's mission... screw it, I'll just go through Hideyoshi's mission again to evolve them back. Thanks for the info.

I was also wondering, are there any conditions for recruiting certain warlords such as Kunoichi or Ranmaru or Aya or Yukimura (e.g. do you have to beat them with another unique warlord)? I've had experiences where I beat them 5 times within the 4 turn limit and they still wouldn't join for a while.

\/
Nope, Ranmaru is a woman. She participates in the female warrior only episodes.
From Ranmaru's ingame profile:

A courageous and extremely talented Warrior. Earnest and very dutiful, he has no ambitions of his own but to serve his master.

Now I just feel silly.

I really like the music in this game. Do you guys have a favorite track? I'm mostly fond of the Violight and Pugilis battle music.

I liked Avia's best.

So after plowing through Ginchiyo and Mitsuhide's stories and starting on Kotaro's, Dragon Rage is pretty scary earlygame when it scores OHKOs on most everything...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)