1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Design Misconceptions

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Flaming Piranha, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

Considering that...

[​IMG]

...Yanmega keeps its green face with big red eyes its safe to say its a green face.

I feel like I'm ruining this thread by posting every other post. D:
  2. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

Except that it's Pokedex entries (for Yanma) say that the green part IS its eyes. Or at least it's heavily implied.

"Its eyes can see 360 degrees without moving its head. It won't miss prey, even those behind it."

Bulbapedia says the green is all eye too, not face.

Honestly, I wouldn't've called that myself were it not for the evidence. Looking at it that way makes it look even derpier than it already does.
  3. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

Now that you do mention it, I've been comparing the two again but green parts of Yanma do become the red eyes of Yanmega. The placement of its mouth (mandibles might be the correct term but I don't anyone cares) does make it look like the eyes aren't alike.

But you're right. It looks so derpy right now. lawl
  4. mcFlareon

mcFlareon

Yanma's green part is its eyes. It even has those two little shiny dots to indicate it's a lens like Flygon has (also hence the abilities)

I never actually realised it actually has a pretty badass mouth which makes Yanmega's mouth make more sense.
  5. Lster728

Lster728

Ok guys I fixed up an Armaldo sprite so that the black&red on its head does not interfere with its "true eyes."

Warning: Cannot unsee.

[​IMG]
  6. Vashimus

Vashimus

A dragonfly's face.

[​IMG]

The blue part is all eye.

Yanma and Yanmega's design are supposed to fit biologically to the actual living insect, and the eyes are no exception.
  7. Hulavuta

Hulavuta A sunflower holds its head up high!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

This wasn't actually my misconception, but I sent a replay to my friend and she thought there was a glitch on Pokemon Showdown, because it allowed Sandshrew (or was it Sandslash?) to get Poisoned, and she believed they were Ground/Poison.
  8. callforjudgement

callforjudgement

Along similar lines: I found out a few days ago that Carvanha evolved into Sharpedo. I'd thought all this time that they were more like an Illumise/Volbeat-style pair.
  9. Yveltal

Yveltal

What makes octopi so special? You octopoda FAVORITIST! The Congress of Squids will be unhappy!

I always liked the way Crobat was baring its teeth, because I thought it was cooler than sticking its tounge out. Then, Gale of Darkness came along, and suddenly Crobat's teeth are actually a massive underbite.
    And I'm sitting there going...
    wat
  10. Darknesscrusher

Darknesscrusher

Maybe they are still there, just under the head of Kabutops.
  11. Shiruba

Shiruba

SQUIDS ARE JUST WIMPY OCTOPII

speaking of crobat...
    [​IMG]
    i use a modified version of this as an icon when i chat with my friends.
    i regret nothing.
  12. Mymom234

Mymom234

I thought the green part was some kind of goggles, sort of like flygon. So its whole head is read with black eyes, and the green thing is transparent and covers its face.
  13. ElectivireRocks

ElectivireRocks Banned deucer.

Mienshao in the anime:

[​IMG]

For a second I thought those whip-like things aren't actually his arm and the whiskers were.
  14. Celever

Celever

[​IMG]

I always thought that makuhita's cheeks were his eyes, and his eyes were eye-brows. I got the mouth right though :).
  15. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

Hahahahaha he looks so derpy that way.
  16. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

It doesn't help that it has what looks like to be paws on its joints.
  17. Celever

Celever

I know, right, but I for one love derpy pokemon so I used to love his design. I only figured out because I noticed his cheeks don't change at all when he sleeps on colosseum, and his actual eyes do. Now I can't unsee the true design which is annoying since I prefer my version! :P
  18. Shiruba

Shiruba

dude, if i saw only that pic of mienshao, i'd think their arms were wings.
  19. Shrew

Shrew

Oh! That reminds me. Even though I read tips online about how to obtain a Pichu with the special move Volt Tackle, it did not occur to me for the longest time that it was actually a species-exclusive move. When I had a Luxray in Diamond/Pearl, I was up at the level 60's, wondering "When will it learn Volt Tackle?" I was then disappointed to learn that Spark was as good as it would get. -__-

Because of the anime, I thought Roselia was combusken-sized. It was not until Roserade made its debut, being smaller than Roselia was in the anime, that I looked up Roselia's true size. I still think of Roselia as being Combusken-sized, and Roserade being Gengar-sized (my own interpretation as just becoming larger.)
  20. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The thing that's weird about this is that it's almost solely a thing made up by the modelers. (or maybe the reference sheets had it as a joke?)
    No other appearence of Crobat (namely the main games and the anime) except for the Ranger games has the stupid buck teeth.

Looking at Pokedex Pro, it seems they finally fixed this
  21. Sgt.Moose

Sgt.Moose

[​IMG]
    When Froakie came out, I thought a while it's mustache were it's eyes. I think it looks decent that way too :D (that way it's real eyes are ears)

[​IMG]
    Also though my entire childhood that Poliwag's mouth was it's nose.
  22. jynx

jynx

My first impression of Gardevoir is that she has a really long nose...

[​IMG]

I was like eleven when I got my Crystal, in Japanese, and my Japanese was so limited that I hardly know what's going on.

Back then I had to count the number of rows to hit the save button xD
  23. Advancer

Advancer

I don't think I have consciously realised this until now =-/
    I am also confused because when Poliwag involves into Poliwhirl, there is a nose where the 'mouth' used to be
  24. Hulavuta

Hulavuta A sunflower holds its head up high!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

^ Same. I don't think I even noticed that until now...and if I did, I had forgotten all about it.

Also, jynx, that is an absolutely hilarious misconception! XD Made my day.
  25. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

... Poliwag's Pink nose is it's mouth?

... (open)
    [​IMG]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)